The Direction of the Halo Franchise

Just wondered what people think about this. Do you like the additions of the gametypes? Do you like armor abilities? Do you like loadouts? What about the ranking system? Most importantly, do you as a player, and as a person that loves Halo, feel that Halo is headed in a good direction that correctly displays what Halo is all about through it’s Forge, Multiplayer, and Campaign experience? I’m not wanting as much as a lengthy answer, as these are things everyone always talking about. I’m just wanting an answer, and then a justification.

Do you like where the Halo franchise is headed, and why or why not.

1. Do you like the gametypes added in Halo 4 and do you think that it correctly expresses what Halo is about? Why or why not? Why or why not?
2. Do you like the armor abilities in Halo 4(Or do you like armor abilities at all) and do you think that they correctly expresses what Halo is about? Why or why not?
3. Do you like the Halo 4 ranking system? Do you think it correctly displays player skill and has a good reward system? Do you think that it correctly expresses what Halo is about? Why or why not?
4. Only answer if you are a Forger. If not, go on. Do you as a Forger feel like that Forge has progressed well and that is an efficient map making tool for Halo? Why or why not?
5. Do you feel like that the multiplayer experience is progressing well? Not the gametypes or the loadouts. Do you feel like you’re playing true Halo when you play multiplayer? Why or why not?
6. Do you feel that the campaign and the story of Halo is progressing well and that it is sound with the previous Halos and what they are all about? Why or why not?
7. Do you like the Prometheans? Do you think that they correctly convey what Halo is all about? Why or why not?

Basically my answer is ‘no’ to all of your questions, with a big fat ‘NO’ to question 7.

I won’t bother to explain all my reasons (so feel free to dismiss my opinion), but basically I was expecting (and believed) that Halo 4 would be a game-changer. I thought it would be an evolution and a revolution, stretching the genre with new, novel ideas and unique features. Instead it’s just a pretty normal, pretty unambitious (yes, really), bland FPS with a multiplayer that borrows a lot from rival games. The Campaign is linear and the whole package is complemented by old features returning (Forge, Custom games) weaker than before. Oh, and Spartan Ops is a lazy, half-assd feature designed to eventually drain more money from the blind fanbase.

Yeah, harsh words, whatever.

I can’t say I like the direction Halo is going, seeing as though I’m a straight hardcore vanilla Halo 1/2 fan. But I can’t say I hate the direction either, it’s kind of interesting in a morbid way. Kind of like how you had a dog you loved, and someone murdered it, but you found the way it’s body was mangled to be kind of interesting.

> Basically my answer is ‘no’ to all of your questions, with a big fat ‘NO’ to question 7.
>
> I won’t bother to explain all my reasons (so feel free to dismiss my opinion), but basically I was expecting (and believed) that Halo 4 would be a game-changer. I thought it would be an evolution and a revolution, stretching the genre with new, novel ideas and unique features. Instead it’s just a pretty normal, pretty unambitious (yes, really), bland FPS with a multiplayer that borrows a lot from rival games. The Campaign is linear and the whole package is complemented by old features returning (Forge, Custom games) weaker than before. Oh, and Spartan Ops is a lazy, half-assd feature designed to eventually drain more money from the blind fanbase.
>
> Yeah, harsh words, whatever.

Sort of agree completly.

I’ll answer 4:

as a forger, I am disappointed

1. removal of fine tuning

2. rounded forge blocks with notches in them (this means holes in your map)

3. asymmetrical patterns (the pattern on one side of a piece is not the same on the other side, making symmetrical maps aesthetically chaotic

4. FR lag/disco/zfighting (it’s back with a vengeance)

5. coordinate glitch (also back) (saved forge map components will tilt along the z-axis)

6. dynamic lighting glitch (occurs at roughly 50% budget used, dynamic lighting disappears)

7. loading time for dynamic lighting (It would be better to check dynamic lighting manually, having it generate every time you exit forge mode is time consuming and annoying)

8. monitor noise (it’s annoying as -Blam!- and really hard to ignore unless mute your tv)

9. inability to zoom father out with forge objects (checking large kill volumes is hard when you can’t see the whole thing)

10. grav lifts look like frisbees (though the cannons look awesome)

I am thoroughly disappointed with the multiplayer. At this point I wondered why I just didn’t buy Black Ops 2. The campaign was enjoyable, but only so long. I don’t really care much for Spartan Ops, and the multiplayer system is just following a generic FPS setup, glorified by COD. Only difference, is now you have weapons like the DMR and Light Rifle you can start with that will take most people done with 3-4 shots if you are any decent at all. I can’t complain about all the things like jetpacks and whatnot, but they came from Reach, and that game started to lose my interest. Between the sprinting and the ability to start with the DMR and other long ranged scoped rifles, Halo just isn’t Halo anymore.

If this trend repeats, which it probably will. I will just go back to COD. Same thing every year, new map packs, blah blah. Atleast I have more guns to choose from.

1. Some I like, some not so much.

2. I do feel like they were better done than in Reach, yes.

3. I like it, but skill wise… I usually don’t pay much attention to this, so other players will probably be able to answer more completely than I, but I think it isn’t a properly skill-based ranking system.

4. I dabble in Forging, so I’ll go ahead and answer; no. Some of the features meant to streamline Forge are great, but overall it just isn’t as good as it was in Reach.

5. No, overall. Some parts of MP are well done, but a lot of just isn’t. I think it’s fun to play, but I find it getting stale quickly.

6. YES! Except for the Didact as a villain. To quote myself from a post long since passed into yore, the Gravemind felt like a true villain. He wasn’t evil for the sake of being evil. I understood him to a degree, and I was even afraid of him. The Didact… I was not. I didn’t understand him. He felt more like a petulant child than the Promethean of legend.

7. In a word, no. They can be fun to fight, but the Covenant is much more dynamic and awesome. The lore behind them is great, but fighting them gets stale quickly.

I love the game, don’t get me wrong. But there are definitely parts I feel could have been better done. The story is fantastic and I’m loving Spartan Ops, but MP isn’t doing it for me. In the long run, though, I would much rather 343 put their efforts into storytelling, anyway.