The Difference between Mythic and LASO

It’s starting to get annoying seeing most of the community confuse the differences between the Mythic difficulty, and LASO. And this thread is specifically to set that straight.

It’s easy, just follow me on this:

Mythic Difficulty, is playing Halo (3, ODST, Reach) on Legendary, with the Mythic skull active. JUST the Mythic skull. This is as originally defined by Bungie, who created the difficulty to begin with.

Campaign LASO, is plying Halo (2, 3, ODST, Reach) on Legendary, with all skulls on. THIS is what turning them all on is. This is also as originally defined by Bungie when they first made mention of the 2 players who had conquered Halo 3 with all skulls on.

The Confusion is sourced entirely by the original Halo 3 thread by Tyrant (popular for his guide to completing “Mythic”, which is actually LASO). He immediately hyped that he had beaten the “Mythic” difficulty and the community simply never payed mind to the difference. And this is despite even Daily/Weekly Challenges directly contradicting it as challenges titled things like “Mythic Contingency”, “Oni Mythic”, etc. Require only the Mythic skull on. While challenges that say “WC LASO” or “Oni LASO” are the ‘All Skulls On’ ones.

It would be very nice for 343 to define exactly what “they” believe the differences are. And give the majority of the community the word, 'cause it gets annoying seeing alot of players giving wrong information about how Mythic is All Skulls On.

Oh right. I never mentioned it, but I figured that Mythic was LASO and that people just called it both. Now I know. Thank you kind sir.

Though I believe LASO should not have been Mythic, but a much more grandiose title. They should re-title the current lack of Blind as LMSO at least. The uh, Legendary Every Skull But One isn’t too PC friendly. Or come up with a different name.

But I give you my Noble difficulty:
Tilt
Iron
Thunderstorm
Catch
Tough Luck
Mythic
Cowbell

Sure you can run through it more easily than a Mythic run. But what happens if you have to get a certain score too? What if you actually had to kill things rather than run through? (and it doesn’t even have to be a large score:D)I believe it provides a feeling like it was to once play CE right at that point where we knew the levels and how we wanted to execute our plans, but it was a matter of executing them and making the game our -Yoink-. Cause I will admit, for me, not dying and trying to kill everything feels like Nightmare Mode on Doom. Not impossible, just highly -Yoinking!- annouyingly difficult at times… And yet there are those that make it look like Mario Bros 2.

> It’s starting to get annoying seeing most of the community confuse the differences between the Mythic difficulty, and LASO. And this thread is specifically to set that straight.
>
>
> It’s easy, just follow me on this:
>
> Mythic Difficulty, is playing Halo (3, ODST, Reach) on Legendary, with the Mythic skull active. JUST the Mythic skull. This is as originally defined by Bungie, who created the difficulty to begin with.
>
> Campaign LASO, is plying Halo (2, 3, ODST, Reach) on Legendary, with all skulls on. THIS is what turning them all on is. This is also as originally defined by Bungie when they first made mention of the 2 players who had conquered Halo 3 with all skulls on.
>
>
> The Confusion is sourced entirely by the original Halo 3 thread by Tyrant (popular for his guide to completing “Mythic”, which is actually LASO). He immediately hyped that he had beaten the “Mythic” difficulty and the community simply never payed mind to the difference. And this is despite even Daily/Weekly Challenges directly contradicting it as challenges titled things like “Mythic Contingency”, “Oni Mythic”, etc. Require only the Mythic skull on. While challenges that say “WC LASO” or “Oni LASO” are the ‘All Skulls On’ ones.
>
> It would be very nice for 343 to define exactly what “they” believe the differences are. And give the majority of the community the word, 'cause it gets annoying seeing alot of players giving wrong information about how Mythic is All Skulls On.

Wrong. Mythic Difficulty is Legendary with all 13 skulls (including Blind) on. LASO is all skulls except for Blind on. Also, Mythic difficulty existed in Halo 2, not just 3, ODST, and Reach.

> > It’s starting to get annoying seeing most of the community confuse the differences between the Mythic difficulty, and LASO. And this thread is specifically to set that straight.
> >
> >
> > It’s easy, just follow me on this:
> >
> > Mythic Difficulty, is playing Halo (3, ODST, Reach) on Legendary, with the Mythic skull active. JUST the Mythic skull. This is as originally defined by Bungie, who created the difficulty to begin with.
> >
> > Campaign LASO, is plying Halo (2, 3, ODST, Reach) on Legendary, with all skulls on. THIS is what turning them all on is. This is also as originally defined by Bungie when they first made mention of the 2 players who had conquered Halo 3 with all skulls on.
> >
> >
> > The Confusion is sourced entirely by the original Halo 3 thread by Tyrant (popular for his guide to completing “Mythic”, which is actually LASO). He immediately hyped that he had beaten the “Mythic” difficulty and the community simply never payed mind to the difference. And this is despite even Daily/Weekly Challenges directly contradicting it as challenges titled things like “Mythic Contingency”, “Oni Mythic”, etc. Require only the Mythic skull on. While challenges that say “WC LASO” or “Oni LASO” are the ‘All Skulls On’ ones.
> >
> > It would be very nice for 343 to define exactly what “they” believe the differences are. And give the majority of the community the word, 'cause it gets annoying seeing alot of players giving wrong information about how Mythic is All Skulls On.
>
> Wrong. Mythic Difficulty is Legendary with all 13 skulls (including Blind) on. LASO is all skulls except for Blind on. Also, Mythic difficulty existed in Halo 2, not just 3, ODST, and Reach.

Also death means you must restart the campaign.

You are incorrect, good sir. Mythic has NEVER been defined officially as playing with just the Mythic skull. However, Bungie, HBO, Halocharts, OXM Magazine, and even Wikipedia have all supported the statement that Mythic Difficulty is defined as playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on, scoring active, and no deaths/saves (whether it be solo or co-op).

The guides, of course, can be found on halo.bungie.org.

The REAL difference between Mythic and LASO is the following:

LASO is simply playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on (hence the achronym). Unfortunately, people have found a glitch with the Iron skull involving the “Save & Quit” feature. Using this is illegal on Mythic counts because it keeps you from being able to play straight through with no deaths or saves. Additionally, in Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST, doing a Save & Quit would turn off scoring which is another requirement for a successful Mythic run.

More information on Mythic Difficulty can be found here: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=48774681

Thank you.

Wow, I always thought Mythic was LASO… My bad. Thanks, OP.

It’s about time someone else came along who thought of the Mythic mode in the same way I did.

> You are incorrect, good sir. Mythic has NEVER been defined officially as playing with just the Mythic skull. However, Bungie, HBO, Halocharts, OXM Magazine, and even Wikipedia have all supported the statement that Mythic Difficulty is defined as playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on, scoring active, and no deaths/saves (whether it be solo or co-op).
>
> The guides, of course, can be found on halo.bungie.org.
>
> The REAL difference between Mythic and LASO is the following:
>
> LASO is simply playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on (hence the achronym). Unfortunately, people have found a glitch with the Iron skull involving the “Save & Quit” feature. Using this is illegal on Mythic counts because it keeps you from being able to play straight through with no deaths or saves. Additionally, in Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST, doing a Save & Quit would turn off scoring which is another requirement for a successful Mythic run.
>
> More information on Mythic Difficulty can be found here: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=48774681
>
> Thank you.

But why on Earth would you call something like that “Mythic”, when there is just the one skull that is labelled “Mythic” that basically has the same effects of increasing the difficulty? I just don’t understand.

> > You are incorrect, good sir. Mythic has NEVER been defined officially as playing with just the Mythic skull. However, Bungie, HBO, Halocharts, OXM Magazine, and even Wikipedia have all supported the statement that Mythic Difficulty is defined as playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on, scoring active, and no deaths/saves (whether it be solo or co-op).
> >
> > The guides, of course, can be found on halo.bungie.org.
> >
> > The REAL difference between Mythic and LASO is the following:
> >
> > LASO is simply playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on (hence the achronym). Unfortunately, people have found a glitch with the Iron skull involving the “Save & Quit” feature. Using this is illegal on Mythic counts because it keeps you from being able to play straight through with no deaths or saves. Additionally, in Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST, doing a Save & Quit would turn off scoring which is another requirement for a successful Mythic run.
> >
> > More information on Mythic Difficulty can be found here: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=48774681
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> But why on Earth would you call something like that “Mythic”, when there is just the one skull that is labelled “Mythic” that basically has the same effects of increasing the difficulty? I just don’t understand.

Accept the Mythic skull doesn’t increase the difficulty. It just simply gives enemies more health. Nothing more. The name Mythic came about due to the way Bungie ranks items of interest. In Halo 3, we had Heroic, Legendary, and Mythic map packs. In the forums, we have Heroic, Legendary, and Mythic members. Legendary with all skulls on is the most challenging setting that can be applied to the campaign via the game mechanics, and since Mythic is the highest rank (yet there is no in-game mode for it) then name was applied to the most endearing challenge.

> > > You are incorrect, good sir. Mythic has NEVER been defined officially as playing with just the Mythic skull. However, Bungie, HBO, Halocharts, OXM Magazine, and even Wikipedia have all supported the statement that Mythic Difficulty is defined as playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on, scoring active, and no deaths/saves (whether it be solo or co-op).
> > >
> > > The guides, of course, can be found on halo.bungie.org.
> > >
> > > The REAL difference between Mythic and LASO is the following:
> > >
> > > LASO is simply playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on (hence the achronym). Unfortunately, people have found a glitch with the Iron skull involving the “Save & Quit” feature. Using this is illegal on Mythic counts because it keeps you from being able to play straight through with no deaths or saves. Additionally, in Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST, doing a Save & Quit would turn off scoring which is another requirement for a successful Mythic run.
> > >
> > > More information on Mythic Difficulty can be found here: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=48774681
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> >
> > But why on Earth would you call something like that “Mythic”, when there is just the one skull that is labelled “Mythic” that basically has the same effects of increasing the difficulty? I just don’t understand.
>
> Accept the Mythic skull doesn’t increase the difficulty. It just simply gives enemies more health. Nothing more. The name Mythic came about due to the way Bungie ranks items of interest. In Halo 3, we had Heroic, Legendary, and Mythic map packs. In the forums, we have Heroic, Legendary, and Mythic members. Legendary with all skulls on is the most challenging setting that can be applied to the campaign via the game mechanics, and since Mythic is the highest rank (yet there is no in-game mode for it) then name was applied to the most endearing challenge.

Then the Mythic skull needs a rename in the next Halo. Just saying, if it’s not classed as Mythic, then it should not be called Mythic.

> > > > You are incorrect, good sir. Mythic has NEVER been defined officially as playing with just the Mythic skull. However, Bungie, HBO, Halocharts, OXM Magazine, and even Wikipedia have all supported the statement that Mythic Difficulty is defined as playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on, scoring active, and no deaths/saves (whether it be solo or co-op).
> > > >
> > > > The guides, of course, can be found on halo.bungie.org.
> > > >
> > > > The REAL difference between Mythic and LASO is the following:
> > > >
> > > > LASO is simply playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on (hence the achronym). Unfortunately, people have found a glitch with the Iron skull involving the “Save & Quit” feature. Using this is illegal on Mythic counts because it keeps you from being able to play straight through with no deaths or saves. Additionally, in Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST, doing a Save & Quit would turn off scoring which is another requirement for a successful Mythic run.
> > > >
> > > > More information on Mythic Difficulty can be found here: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=48774681
> > > >
> > > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > But why on Earth would you call something like that “Mythic”, when there is just the one skull that is labelled “Mythic” that basically has the same effects of increasing the difficulty? I just don’t understand.
> >
> > Accept the Mythic skull doesn’t increase the difficulty. It just simply gives enemies more health. Nothing more. The name Mythic came about due to the way Bungie ranks items of interest. In Halo 3, we had Heroic, Legendary, and Mythic map packs. In the forums, we have Heroic, Legendary, and Mythic members. Legendary with all skulls on is the most challenging setting that can be applied to the campaign via the game mechanics, and since Mythic is the highest rank (yet there is no in-game mode for it) then name was applied to the most endearing challenge.
>
> Then the Mythic skull needs a rename in the next Halo. Just saying, if it’s not classed as Mythic, then it should not be called Mythic.

I don’t disagree. Perhaps it should be named the Buff Skull? Meh. Sounds a bit cheesy, but you get the idea. In Reach this is more evident, but there is a pretty big difference as you scale from Easy to Normal, then Heroic, and finally Legendary. Yes, enemies do get more health, but they also gradually do more damage, increase in numbers, and also gain field ranks. Since the Mythic skull only adds health to enemies, but turning on ALL skulls gives them a number of new advantages, the hardest mode of Halo was crowned “Mythic” back in 2008 :slight_smile:

Halo Reach Mythic Difficulty Walkthrough: Halo: Reach Mythic Difficulty Guide

> You are incorrect, good sir. Mythic has NEVER been defined officially as playing with just the Mythic skull. However, Bungie, HBO, Halocharts, OXM Magazine, and even Wikipedia have all supported the statement that Mythic Difficulty is defined as playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on, scoring active, and no deaths/saves (whether it be solo or co-op).
>
> The guides, of course, can be found on halo.bungie.org.
>
> The REAL difference between Mythic and LASO is the following:
>
> LASO is simply playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on (hence the achronym). Unfortunately, people have found a glitch with the Iron skull involving the “Save & Quit” feature. Using this is illegal on Mythic counts because it keeps you from being able to play straight through with no deaths or saves. Additionally, in Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST, doing a Save & Quit would turn off scoring which is another requirement for a successful Mythic run.
>
> More information on Mythic Difficulty can be found here: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=48774681
>
> Thank you.

Bungie has always been willing to pin your posts without changing the titles, and post your guides on their main page under your name. But Mythic has still actually always been just Mythic skull, it was originally mentioned in TUs.

The support of Halocharts, HBO, OXM, and Wikipedia are completely redundant as none of those sources own the right to name what the difficulty is called. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, OXM is full of missinformation anyway, and HBO and Halocharts are Halo fan-sites that became popular and Bungie supported over the years.

That Bungie never openly corrected you is the same as why they don’t openly correct almost anyone on any misenterpretation (There have been several speculated points that became community “facts” that were never actually true. Such as character identities (mostly including who the Arbiter was before the Cole Protocol came out), backstory (Spartan Is were never Canonically the Orion Project Candidates until 343i took over, even Halsey’s Journal supports that fact), but Bungie never once stepped in and corrected them. Same goes for such well known threads as “The secret of Sandtrap”, “The Halo Reach Legendary Ending” or “The Secret of the BoBs” All of these are either STILL commonly missenterpreted as existing by the community, despite there actually being nothing to them, or have, after 100s of pages of posts, been concluded as false.

Literally, the only reason Bungie doesn’t change the name of your guides is because that’s what you called them. But browse back through early Halo 3 Title Updates and information and you will find Bungie stating that Mythic = Mythic Skull, and later making a deal over LASO. What you do should ACTUALLY be more “Vidmaster” as it relates to the original Marathon Vidmaster challenge more than anything.

As per your “All mythic does is buff health” that is all it needs to do. By Legendary difficulty (In Halo 2 and 3 at least), the enemies already do enough damage to kill you in a single burst, their AI is at game limits (bar the unnamed skull in Halo 2), and for the most part their ranks are pushed up already beyond realistic levels. The AI of enemies doesn’t change between Heroic and Legendary, just the damage and toughness, and when damage reaches the highest it needs to all that’s left to buff for difficulty is, you guessed it, toughness.

If 343i, as they now have the say to make it so, step in to say Mythic IS your challenge, then my argument falls as invalid. Until then, we still play by Bungie’s rules.

> > You are incorrect, good sir. Mythic has NEVER been defined officially as playing with just the Mythic skull. However, Bungie, HBO, Halocharts, OXM Magazine, and even Wikipedia have all supported the statement that Mythic Difficulty is defined as playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on, scoring active, and no deaths/saves (whether it be solo or co-op).
> >
> > The guides, of course, can be found on halo.bungie.org.
> >
> > The REAL difference between Mythic and LASO is the following:
> >
> > LASO is simply playing the game on Legendary with all skulls on (hence the achronym). Unfortunately, people have found a glitch with the Iron skull involving the “Save & Quit” feature. Using this is illegal on Mythic counts because it keeps you from being able to play straight through with no deaths or saves. Additionally, in Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST, doing a Save & Quit would turn off scoring which is another requirement for a successful Mythic run.
> >
> > More information on Mythic Difficulty can be found here: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=48774681
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> Bungie has always been willing to pin your posts without changing the titles, and post your guides on their main page under your name. But Mythic has still actually always been just Mythic skull, it was originally mentioned in TUs.
>
> The support of Halocharts, HBO, OXM, and Wikipedia are completely redundant as none of those sources own the right to name what the difficulty is called. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, OXM is full of missinformation anyway, and HBO and Halocharts are Halo fan-sites that became popular and Bungie supported over the years.
>
> That Bungie never openly corrected you is the same as why they don’t openly correct almost anyone on any misenterpretation (There have been several speculated points that became community “facts” that were never actually true. Such as character identities (mostly including who the Arbiter was before the Cole Protocol came out), backstory (Spartan Is were never Canonically the Orion Project Candidates until 343i took over, even Halsey’s Journal supports that fact), but Bungie never once stepped in and corrected them. Same goes for such well known threads as “The secret of Sandtrap”, “The Halo Reach Legendary Ending” or “The Secret of the BoBs” All of these are either STILL commonly missenterpreted as existing by the community, despite there actually being nothing to them, or have, after 100s of pages of posts, been concluded as false.
>
> Literally, the only reason Bungie doesn’t change the name of your guides is because that’s what you called them. But browse back through early Halo 3 Title Updates and information and you will find Bungie stating that Mythic = Mythic Skull, and later making a deal over LASO. What you do should ACTUALLY be more “Vidmaster” as it relates to the original Marathon Vidmaster challenge more than anything.
>
> As per your “All mythic does is buff health” that is all it needs to do. By Legendary difficulty (In Halo 2 and 3 at least), the enemies already do enough damage to kill you in a single burst, their AI is at game limits (bar the unnamed skull in Halo 2), and for the most part their ranks are pushed up already beyond realistic levels. The AI of enemies doesn’t change between Heroic and Legendary, just the damage and toughness, and when damage reaches the highest it needs to all that’s left to buff for difficulty is, you guessed it, toughness.
>
> If 343i, as they now have the say to make it so, step in to say Mythic IS your challenge, then my argument falls as invalid. Until then, we still play by Bungie’s rules.

If you can dig up a link where Bungie officially stated that Mythic Difficulty is in fact LEGENDARY with only the MYTHIC skull active, please feel free to post a link., Until then, Mythic Difficulty remains to be Legendary with all skulls on as mentioned in the following Weekly Update by Urk himself. Keep in mind that the update is his words. Not mine.

http://www.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=30480

> But browse back through early Halo 3 Title Updates and information and you will find Bungie stating that Mythic = Mythic Skull, and later making a deal over LASO.

Can one simply browse through all 2 title updates?

Before you go pushing your opinion as fact get -Yoink- straight.

Mythic has always came after Legendary in Bungie’s rank system. Adding just the Mythic SKULL does not make it Mythic, it makes it Legendary + the Mythic SKULL. Also saying that the Mythic SKULL raises the games difficulty up another level is wrong as for each of the preceding levels the enemies intelligence, luck, accuracy and other things also goes up not just their health. It seems more logical for Mythic to be an overall raise in difficulty not just one aspect.

I just suspect that you failed it doing proper Mythic and want to change the rules for Mythic to your liking. If so nice try but you fail.

> Oh right. I never mentioned it, but I figured that Mythic was LASO and that people just called it both. Now I know. Thank you kind sir.

This is what I thought.

Because “Mythic Difficulty” doesn’t seem very impressive just with one skull on and Mythic>legendary and LASO stands for Legendary-All-Skulls-On.

Legend ST is flat out wrong.

> Wikipedia can be edited by anyone,

People always like to say this as if it’s the downfall of Wikipedia, but it is also it’s strength: if something is posted to a Wikipedia article and it is NOT supported by external evidence then it is called into question and eventually removed.

It’s edited, but also verified by everyone.

> That Bungie never openly corrected you is the same as why they don’t openly correct almost anyone on any misenterpretation

No, this is not the case. The verbiage surrounding a game is as adaptive and fluid as the community makes it.

For example: on many of the non-FW maps, each area has a unique ‘callout.’ However, these are not always used some or at all by players and different sub-groups have their own nomenclature.

‘Mythic Difficulty’ is a term with a community origin and later became officially adopted.

We can provide dozens of examples of Bungie using the community defintion over the years. Even if was not always considered the definition, it is now.

For example: The Summer Mythic Recon Challenge. in 2009.

Officially endorsed and sponsored by Bungie with a set of Recon armour on offer to a random completer of each level in the alloted with. With a potentially unlimited number of suits available to those who completed ALL of the week’s challenges.

The rules of the contest encode the rules of Mythic Difficulty perfectly:
Legendary,
All Skulls on,
Scoring on,
No saving+quitting
no deaths.

> But browse back through early Halo 3 Title Updates and information and you will find Bungie stating that Mythic = Mythic Skull, and later making a deal over LASO.

I’m sorry but you don’t seem to know how this works: we have provided a number of concrete pieces evidence in support of our stance which refutes your OP and now if you want to continue to have a serious discussion, you must do the same.

Telling us that it ‘exists somewhere’ is unacceptable: you’re the one who brought up this topic, you provide the evidence.

Regardless, the point still stands that even if ‘mythic’ was once considered to simply be Legendary + mythic skull, that this is no longer the case.

I’m sure I don’t need to tell you that the meaning of words can change over time. Language is not a constant thing; who would have thought, fifteen years ago, that ‘pwn’ or ‘lol’ would be legitimate words? Or, ‘to google something’ would be a valid phrase?

> As per your “All mythic does is buff health” that is all it needs to do. By Legendary difficulty (In Halo 2 and 3 at least), the enemies already do enough damage to kill you in a single burst, their AI is at game limits (bar the unnamed skull in Halo 2), and for the most part their ranks are pushed up already beyond realistic levels. The AI of enemies doesn’t change between Heroic and Legendary, just the damage and toughness, and when damage reaches the highest it needs to all that’s left to buff for difficulty is, you guessed it, toughness.

You, have absolutely, no idea.

Damage and health are not the only things to change even with the standard difficulties. For one: did you know that certain encounters play out different on Legendary? The fight in the Glacier on the Package is a good example: There is a whole extra wave which drops hunters. Enemies also react quicker, and are more precise, charge more aggressively and have lower cooldown time for their actions.

Also, the velocity of projectiles like Spikers, Plasma Pistols and Plasma Repeaters actually increases as you turn up the difficulty!

Did you know that in Halo 1 your shields could actually withstand more damage (at least from grenades) and recharged quicker on legendary than on other difficulties?

It stands to reason that ‘Mythic Difficulty’ is not a simple health/damage buff, but another level of difficulty altogether. Mythic difficulty is about taking ALL the sliders and nobs and adjusters available to you and cranking them right to the maximum.

Thats why putting the game on heroic and turning on the mythic skull isn’t legendary difficulty! Its just one aspect of a multi-faceted adjustment in difficulty.

OP, you’re just wrong. You’re not even kind of right; you’re just plain wrong.

> Mythic Difficulty, is playing Halo (3, ODST, Reach) on Legendary, with the Mythic skull active. JUST the Mythic skull.

I’d like to know where you got this definition. Tyrant and Ultimate RC posted links of Bungie referring to Mythic Difficulty as Legendary, all Skulls On, no deaths, mission start, one sitting, scoring, no saving & quitting. If you can post a link to Bungie referring to Mythic Difficulty as simply Legendary + Mythic skull, that’s fine and we can discuss that. But I think the most recent post by Bungie should be correct.

> This is also as originally defined by Bungie when they first made mention of the 2 players who had conquered Halo 3 with all skulls on.

It is true that “LASO” means “Legendary, all skulls on” but some people have been saving & quitting and defeating the purpose of the challenge. So, the name “Mythic” was created to be more specific.

> The Confusion is sourced entirely by the original Halo 3 thread by Tyrant (popular for his guide to completing “Mythic”, which is actually LASO). He immediately hyped that he had beaten the “Mythic” difficulty and the community simply never payed mind to the difference.

Remember recon armor? Only Bungie could give it. During the summer of 2009, a contest ran by Bungie had the name “Summer Mythic Recon Challenge” and the winners got recon armor. The name came from Tyrant, but through use, this it what it means.

You’re no different than stuck up grammarians who insist that the word “good” cannot be used as an adverb despite it having been used like that for centuries and every single reputable dictionary recognizing this fact.

> And this is despite even Daily/Weekly Challenges directly contradicting it as challenges titled things like “Mythic Contingency”, “Oni Mythic”, etc. Require only the Mythic skull on. While challenges that say “WC LASO” or “Oni LASO” are the ‘All Skulls On’ ones.
>
> It would be very nice for 343 to define exactly what “they” believe the differences are. And give the majority of the community the word, 'cause it gets annoying seeing alot of players giving wrong information about how Mythic is All Skulls On.

Do you play Halo: Reach online? If so, you’ll notice that the LASO challenges do not require Blind, so the name of the challenge is a misnomer. Plus, you can save & quit and still get the challenge so anybody can do it given enough time.

If the challenges are taken to be correct and “Legendary All Skulls On” does not mean “All Skulls On,” then how can you say that “Mythic” is just the Mythic skull?

Sigh,

I feel like I’ve seen this topic posted in the Mythic thread on bungie.net several times and people just don’t listen. Tyrant, RC, and everyone else have listed an exhaustive list of reasons why it is Mythic difficulty and I don’t know what else I could add. I really do not see why this bothers you so much, I mean…its just a name and it follows well with the tiered system that Bungie layed out. I suppose if you want to try to make an entire community surrounding beating the game on what is essentially legendary v 1.1 go for it, i doubt anyone will care or be impressed by this accomplishment. Heck, I know of at least 20 people that have already done it

> Sigh,
>
> I feel like I’ve seen this topic posted in the Mythic thread on bungie.net several times and people just don’t listen. Tyrant, RC, and everyone else have listed an exhaustive list of reasons why it is Mythic difficulty and I don’t know what else I could add. I really do not see why this bothers you so much, I mean…its just a name and it follows well with the tiered system that Bungie layed out. I suppose if you want to try to make an entire community surrounding beating the game on what is essentially legendary v 1.1 go for it, i doubt anyone will care or be impressed by this accomplishment. Heck, I know of at least 20 people that have already done it

I believe I got involved in one of those debates before. And here’s what I learned from it: don’t pick sides. Listen to the ones who have experience and evidence.

The transition from Heroic to Legendary was immense in CE. Likewise, the transition from Legendary to Mythic is also immense. The Mythic skull and Mythic difficulty are just coincidental names (although the difficulty could have been inspired by the skull). Mythic is a suitable difficulty name, as it is synonymous/similar with Heroic and Legendary: all three imply great achievement.