The Didact is not our enemy. (Master Builder)

WHY THE DIDACT WILL NOT BE THE ANTAGONIST IN HALO 4 (/RECLAIMER TRILOGY)
SPOILER ALERT!! (GREG BEAR’S FORERUNNER SAGA)

Skip to my key points later on if necessary but I recommend reading (sorry for possible errors)

This will make far more sense to people who have read and least Halo Cryptum, and preferably Primordium also.

Throughout the entirety of the Forerunner saga so far the Didact has been the protagonist all the way. Yes at first he seems slightly arrogant towards humans but this very soon disappears as his tragic past is unveiled. Then later on in Cryptum the main protagonist, from which the story is told by basically becomes The Didact…

During this time we are introduced to Faber, the “Master Builder”. Right from the beginning he is clearly EVIL, he threatens Bornstellar, he test fires a Halo ring in on a dead planet destroying huge precursor ruins and freeing “The Captive, Timeless One, The Last Precursor” whichever name you choose for it. Then he fires the ring again to punish the San 'Shyuum for a small rebellion, sterilising the entire planet and killing all its inhabitants. After this, as Bornstellar begin to “become” the Didact. He is revealed to have tortured and killed the “original” Didact after he did not reveal how to make use of the Shield Installations to Faber. Then nearing the end of Cryptum as “Faber” is in the middle of being trialled for his use the Halo against the San 'Shyuum in the Capital, the system is attacked by rampant Mendicant Bias. This leads to Primordium. In Primordium little more is mentioned of the Master Builder except it is revealed that he had began to use humans in his experiments on the Flood to find the “cure” the humans uncovered. The book rather follows one of the humans who has been forced into this journey, rather than Bornstellar(the new Didact) himself, although at the end he does return (and is still a friendly :slight_smile: ) although this is unimportant.

MY POINT

THE E3 SYMBOL IS NOT THAT OF THE DIDACT. (COMPARISON)
Firstly the symbols are not the same, but if that is not enough one possible explanation for any similary is that The Didact was The highest ranking Promethean and therefore highest ranking of the Warrior rate. The Master builder is Presumably the highest of the Builder rate. Those who are the highest ranking of their rates may have slightly similar symbols. Also any similarity may be an attempt by 343i to confuse people to create surprised for when the game is released.

I THINK FABER IS GOING TO BE THE ANCIENT ENEMY. if you read the above (or know already) you probably noticed my key points.

Faber is clearly evil. He is an antagonist in the books, but still mysterious.

The Didact is NOT EVIL He is the protagonist through the entire saga so far and unless something extremely radical happens in Silentium this wouldnt make much sense

Faber’s fate is UNKNOWN. He is presumed to have died on installation 07. but this remains in mystery, he may well have escaped.

A Halo ring is seen on the Halo 4 menu, Installation 07?

Faber is scared. He knows he will be prosecuted He needs to HIDE. (A Cryptum?)

Faber tortured the Didact in attempt to learn how to use these “Shield Worlds”
The perfect place to hide in safety, or rest in a Cryptum (REQUIEM, CRYPTUM we have seen)

I will accept that the Didact is the enemy if a very good explanation and radical things happen in either halo 4 or Silentium, but for now I have few reasons to believe it is him.

For all these reasons and more I believe The Didact is not our enemy and Faber is, we do not know his fate and this is likely for a reason. if he plays no other important part in the story why leave him surrounded by so much mystery.

Thank you for reading and I apologise for any mistakes. I may add to this post later as I am in rush at the moment to go go somewhere.

PLEASE SUPPORT THIS THREAD BY LEAVING FEEDBACK. THANK YOU.

It’s a good theory, but not sure I agree. It clearly shows the Didact’s symbol, there isn’t an explanation for it. But we will just have to find out i guess.

It’s not the master builder ,he died.there’s nothing pointing to the master builder and 343 said that the books and terminals point to the story in Halo 4,we know that the didact is in game and that prometheans are our enemies but nothing points to the master builder he isn’t our enemy and i doubt he will be in game other then mentioned by the didact. I doubt the “Ancient evil” is forerunner of origin.Also faber can’t control prometheans only the didact can or the precursors by mind controling the didact.

this looks legit and i´m going to think about this and i wont probably sleep tonight because im thinking about this but what about the Didact symbol shown at the end of Halo 4 campaign demo in E3?

> It’s a good theory, but not sure I agree. It clearly shows the Didact’s symbol, there isn’t an explanation for it. But we will just have to find out i guess.

I do not agree, the symbols are not at all the same. OP EDITED

> this looks legit and i´m going to think about this and i wont probably sleep tonight because im thinking about this but what about the Didact symbol shown at the end of Halo 4 campaign demo in E3?

Its not exactly the same

> this looks legit and i´m going to think about this and i wont probably sleep tonight because im thinking about this but what about the Didact symbol shown at the end of Halo 4 campaign demo in E3?

OP Updated

very good theory. I could see this panning out.

Please leave feedback after reading so I may attempt to add further explication if any of my theory is questioned. And I will also clear up any confusion I wouldnt be surprised if I have created :L ;).

> It’s not the master builder ,he died.there’s nothing pointing to the master builder and 343 said that the books and terminals point to the story in Halo 4,we know that the didact is in game and that prometheans are our enemies but nothing points to the master builder he isn’t our enemy and i doubt he will be in game other then mentioned by the didact. I doubt the “Ancient evil” is forerunner of origin.Also faber can’t control prometheans only the didact can or the precursors by mind controling the didact.

Sigh I really do wish some people would read the books before speculating on something like this.

Promethean Knights are not the same as Prometheans. Prometheans were high rate Warrior Servants. If the Didact’s description is anything to go by for a regular Promethean, then here would be a comparison between a Manipular, Promethean, and Human.

Chakas, a human directly comparable to modern day humans, was roughly half the size of Bornstellar, a Manipular. Bornstellar was half the size of the Didact, a Promethean. If Chakas was about 6 feet tall, then Bornstellar would be about 12-13 feet in height, and a Promethean would be around the 24 foot estimate. Promethean Knights are only 10 feet tall, so they aren’t real Prometheans. (Not to mention they are machine)

Also, why would the DIdact be the “Ancient Evil”? He’s not evil, not even close. He bore a strong relationship with Chakas, a human, so why would he hate humans all the sudden? The only real evil is Faber, or the Precursors. Neither of the Didacts strike me as evil, not even slightly.

And what about…

“time to rotate your avatar into its unbound state” -Frankie

(The person Frankie is replying to had the Didact’s symbol as their avatar)

Also, Greg Bear on Silentium…

“For now, let’s just say there are two Didacts…” -Greg

> > It’s not the master builder ,he died.there’s nothing pointing to the master builder and 343 said that the books and terminals point to the story in Halo 4,we know that the didact is in game and that prometheans are our enemies but nothing points to the master builder he isn’t our enemy and i doubt he will be in game other then mentioned by the didact. I doubt the “Ancient evil” is forerunner of origin.Also faber can’t control prometheans only the didact can or the precursors by mind controling the didact.
>
> Sigh I really do wish some people would read the books before speculating on something like this.
>
> Promethean Knights are not the same as Prometheans. Prometheans were high rate Warrior Servants. If the Didact’s description is anything to go by for a regular Promethean, then here would be a comparison between a Manipular, Promethean, and Human.
>
> Chakas, a human directly comparable to modern day humans, was roughly half the size of Bornstellar, a Manipular. Bornstellar was half the size of the Didact, a Promethean. If Chakas was about 6 feet tall, then Bornstellar would be about 12-13 feet in height, and a Promethean would be around the 24 foot estimate. Promethean Knights are only 10 feet tall, so they aren’t real Prometheans. (Not to mention they are machine)
>
> Also, why would the DIdact be the “Ancient Evil”? He’s not evil, not even close. He bore a strong relationship with Chakas, a human, so why would he hate humans all the sudden? The only real evil is Faber, or the Precursors. Neither of the Didacts strike me as evil, not even slightly.

Thank You! We need more people like you around here!

> > It’s not the master builder ,he died.there’s nothing pointing to the master builder and 343 said that the books and terminals point to the story in Halo 4,we know that the didact is in game and that prometheans are our enemies but nothing points to the master builder he isn’t our enemy and i doubt he will be in game other then mentioned by the didact. I doubt the “Ancient evil” is forerunner of origin.Also faber can’t control prometheans only the didact can or the precursors by mind controling the didact.
>
> Sigh I really do wish some people would read the books before speculating on something like this.
>
> Promethean Knights are not the same as Prometheans. Prometheans were high rate Warrior Servants. If the Didact’s description is anything to go by for a regular Promethean, then here would be a comparison between a Manipular, Promethean, and Human.
>
> Chakas, a human directly comparable to modern day humans, was roughly half the size of Bornstellar, a Manipular. Bornstellar was half the size of the Didact, a Promethean. If Chakas was about 6 feet tall, then Bornstellar would be about 12-13 feet in height, and a Promethean would be around the 24 foot estimate. Promethean Knights are only 10 feet tall, so they aren’t real Prometheans. (Not to mention they are machine)
>
> Also, why would the DIdact be the “Ancient Evil”? He’s not evil, not even close. He bore a strong relationship with Chakas, a human, so why would he hate humans all the sudden? The only real evil is Faber, or the Precursors. Neither of the Didacts strike me as evil, not even slightly.

I’ve read the books,no crap there not real prometheans there AIs.i also never said it would be the didact. I think you need to re read my post because you don’t understand.I clearly stated that the ancient evil would more likely be precursors out of all possible aweners with the information we have so far. i also stated why the didacts cryptum is there and why it might be orange instead of blue.

>
>
>
>

Yes. This.

Promethean Knights are defense AI, but it is theorized that they are made from the souls of real Prometheans extracted by the Composer.

The Didact has a role in the story, no doubt. But the Didact himself, both Didacts, aren’t evil.
I’m thinking that the Precursors in some way, perhaps the Primordial, corrupted the Didact. In an effort to reverse the effects, he went into a Cryptum and sealed himself in a Shield World we call Requiem, and assigned an army of defense AI to protect him/not allow anyone to awaken him.

He is accidently awakened in Halo 4, and becomes the main enemy. But really, the Precursors are the true Ancient Evil, acting behind the scenes.

Cryptums were originally created by Prometheans for Prometheans. I think it would be odd for Faber to even know how to use a cryptum. Another thing that makes me doubt this theory is the fact that Faber doesn’t like humans, and judging by the Master Chief and Cortana’s reaction to the cryptum in the E3 2012 campaign demo, I’d say by that point in the storyline, the Master Chief had already made contact with whoever is controlling the cryptum and concluded that they weren’t his enemy. I wouldn’t be surprised if Faber showed up at sometime in the trilogy, but as the main antagonist? Doubt it.

Edit:

> Faber is scared. He knows he will be prosecuted He needs to HIDE. (A Cryptum?)

What exactly is there to hide from? It doesn’t look like the Forerunners are in any place to “prosecute” anyone.

> > > It’s not the master builder ,he died.there’s nothing pointing to the master builder and 343 said that the books and terminals point to the story in Halo 4,we know that the didact is in game and that prometheans are our enemies but nothing points to the master builder he isn’t our enemy and i doubt he will be in game other then mentioned by the didact. I doubt the “Ancient evil” is forerunner of origin.Also faber can’t control prometheans only the didact can or the precursors by mind controling the didact.
> >
> > Sigh I really do wish some people would read the books before speculating on something like this.
> >
> > Promethean Knights are not the same as Prometheans. Prometheans were high rate Warrior Servants. If the Didact’s description is anything to go by for a regular Promethean, then here would be a comparison between a Manipular, Promethean, and Human.
> >
> > Chakas, a human directly comparable to modern day humans, was roughly half the size of Bornstellar, a Manipular. Bornstellar was half the size of the Didact, a Promethean. If Chakas was about 6 feet tall, then Bornstellar would be about 12-13 feet in height, and a Promethean would be around the 24 foot estimate. Promethean Knights are only 10 feet tall, so they aren’t real Prometheans. (Not to mention they are machine)
> >
> > Also, why would the DIdact be the “Ancient Evil”? He’s not evil, not even close. He bore a strong relationship with Chakas, a human, so why would he hate humans all the sudden? The only real evil is Faber, or the Precursors. Neither of the Didacts strike me as evil, not even slightly.
>
> Yes. This.
>
>
> Promethean Knights are defense AI, but it is theorized that they are made from the souls of real Prometheans extracted by the Composer.
>
>
> The Didact has a role in the story, no doubt. But the Didact himself, both Didacts, aren’t evil.
> I’m thinking that the Precursors in some way, perhaps the Primordial, corrupted the Didact. In an effort to reverse the effects, he went into a Cryptum and sealed himself in a Shield World we call Requiem, and assigned an army of defense AI to protect him/not allow anyone to awaken him.
>
> He is accidently awakened in Halo 4, and becomes the main enemy. But really, the Precursors are the true Ancient Evil, acting behind the scenes.

THis so much this.

> Cryptums were originally created by** Prometheans for Prometheans. I think it would be odd for Faber to even know how to use a cryptum. Another thing that makes me doubt this theory is the fact that Faber doesn’t like humans, and judging by the Master Chief and Cortana’s reaction to the cryptum in the E3 2012 campaign demo, I’d say by that point in the storyline, the Master Chief had already made contact with whoever is controlling the cryptum and concluded that they weren’t his enemy. I wouldn’t be surprised if Faber showed up at sometime in the trilogy, but as the main antagonist? Doubt it.
[/quote]
As Master Builder (or previously Master Builder) he would probably know some things or have access to some things.

> But I agree, that it would be pretty odd to find him in a Cryptum. Unless the Didact locked him in there.

Also another reason why your theory would be incorrect.In the 10th terminal 343GS says if the prometheans were here “HE” would have to be here to implying the didact,and without the librarian to temper his rage What gs/chakas went to look for and took the infinity to they would preffer the flood,in that terminal he also says the ancient enemy has been released,implying the flood but in primordium the primordial says the precursors and flood are like the same. Yet again no master builder.

I took the time to read your post ONLY because you said the Ancient Evil (AE) is not the Didact. I ignore everyone that says Didact is the AE because they either never read the books, assume, or don’t know the guy. but becase you, smartly, said the Didact is not the AE, I gave you a chance.

now OT: Yes. I highly believe the Didact is not the AE. the much evidence is clear he cannot be the AE. and you can see that too (Thank You!).

you’re theory does seem likely. I always thought a Precursor makes the most sense. but reading your theory, and its very likely points, it makes me more and more believe Faber is the AE (maybe Precursors are behind it overall, but Faber could be their tool).

you say the symbols are similar, but clearly not the same. both (Didact and Faber) are high ranking Forerunners, which could explain similarities. I see this as possible.

Faber. Evil? Yes, obviously. That’s why I believe Faber is a good candidate for the AE.

Doesn’t want to die/get punished for his crimes? tortures Didact for Shield World info? hides in a Cryptum on Requiem? possibly fakes his death on Installation 07 to hide (which explains the Halo in the Main Menu of Halo 4)? makes too much sense.

I’ve read your theory. your points seem very likely. your topic seems very valid. I can possibly see Faber now as a highly good candidate for the AE. Good job! and once again, Thank You, for not saying the AE is the Didact.

Faber could very well be an antagonist, but the ancient evil? Sure he’s ancient by our standards and evil, yet the lingering shadow of the Precursors is too good to pass off.