The Designated Marksman Rifle..

…is a very well sought after weapon that works well on almost all distances in almost all situations, this wouldn’t be a problem if it wasn’t a starting weapon.

You see as a starting weapon it offers players no incentive to change weapons in between, which used to be the charm of Halo’s gameplay. Why would you change to an inferior weapon, when your starting weapon can easily kill players on nearly all ranges in nearly all situations?

It’s starting weapon status is also game breaking in Big Team Battles as it limits all movement of the map and offers some easy spawn killing opportunities, the Banshee itself is also rendered completely and utterly useless for anything but a few bombing runs (which I suppose isn’t all that bad as the new and improved Banshee Bomb is better than a Rocket Launcher).

There is also the issue with ammunition, when people have an unlimited source of ammo for a relatively powerful weapon they will not think twice about blasting away in hopes of achieving a kill, and I do suppose we all can agree that DMR spam is something we could live without.

Anyone who has played in the Arena will know that even though there is no chance in Hell they could’ve killed you by shooting you once from across the map while you are Sprinting through a doorway, they will still try, simply because they need not conserve their ammo. This serves no other purpose than to annoy players, and lessen their enjoyment and ultimate opinion of Halo’s gameplay.

Every dead player is another addition to your unlimited ammo cache as they also will have spawned with said weapon. I am by no means bashing the weapon as I do respect it and enjoy using it, but I am seriously against it being a starting weapon. It renders the gun overpowered, and is essentially a gamebreaking flaw.

TL;DR I prefer AR/M starts above DMR/M starts.

IMO, the BR had the only reliable shot in Halo3. Of all the basic precision weapons, its first bullet went straight while the 2nd and 3rd bullets, and every projectile from a Pistol or Carbine, never shot straight.

In Reach, the Pistol shoots straight when its bloom is at rest (even gains some auto-aim, like the DMR and NR). There is no need to choose a more powerful weapon because there isn’t one beyond the Sniper itself. You can upgrade to a weapon with more ammo in reserve and different precision mechanics, but you really aren’t upgrading to a more powerful weapon unless it’s the Sniper. You can upgrade your effectiveness, but not power.

So from the above you can make the choice, do you want to start with the DMR because you’re used to the BR starts or are you ok with Pistol starts where a player has a fighting chance to upgrade their precision weapon?

Honestly, I’m willing to bet that the DMR starts are what messes a lot of people up. It’s a weapon that is borderline specialized and gives the users a false sense of individual power.

I saw your thread on B.net OP, and I agree with you. DMR starts do not promote map movement for a number of reasons:

1. The DMR is hitscan, it can pretty much hit anywhere. Why pick up any other weapon?
  2. The DMR is anti-vehicle.
  3. The DMR ammois too abundant. You don’t have to go far to find some more. Which goes back to answer number 1.

On the recieving end, the DMR can hit virtually anywhere in a map and everyone spawns with it. Because of this, people are too afraid to move out and find other weapons because they will be greeted with a crap-load of DMR fire.

You know it’s funny. People complained how the BR dominated in Halo 3, yet the DMR is just as bad, if not worse, than the BR supposedly was.

Now that Halo 4 is on the way I would like to implore 343 Industries not to make the same mistakes as Bungie did. Please keep map movement and weapon variety in mind when choosing the spawn weapons for your future titles’ multiplayer games.

Some people like long range gun battles though. The next Halo should take this into consideration, and split BR starts with Non BR start gametypes 50/50

> Some people like long range gun battles though. The next Halo should take this into consideration, and split BR starts with Non BR start gametypes 50/50

Some people prefer to have it all or nothing so it’s probably better to have different playlists for these gametypes. Although doubling the playlists in the game might seem somewhat extreme, I’d be happy as long as Slayer always is an option, preferably the top option**(if they were to use the current voting system)** as Slayer is the way Halo was intended to be played.

The DMR needs fixing IMO, and Halo 4 needs to get rid of it.

> The DMR needs fixing IMO, and Halo 4 needs to get rid of it.

No, the DMR is fine as it is**(well, maybe increase the bloom some more when in close quarters)**. It’s just that the players use it too much, it is in infinite supply and is unrivaled by most other non-power weapons in all ranges, in most situations and against both vehicles and infantry.

It should be in limited supply on the maps, and should be removed as a starting weapon.

I thought halo has always been this way?

Halo CE Magnum

H2 & 3 BR

HR DMR.

> I thought halo has always been this way?
>
> Halo CE Magnum
>
> H2 & 3 BR
>
> HR DMR.

Halo has always had a powerful precision weapon, yes. But the default Slayer game in every Halo has had an assault weapon as the primary spawn weapon.