The death of Jul 'Mdama

What do you think about the death of Jul?
How you wish they had died or what future you prefer for he?
I’m not agree with his death i prefer that he would have survived but if he has to died i want to see a sword figth with the arbiter

It was incredibly stupid. Jul went out like a punk. He should have died on the battle of suniaon (or however you spell it) in a duel against the arbiter or something.

> 2533274975398392;2:
> It was incredibly stupid. Jul went out like a punk. He should have died on the battle of suniaon (or however you spell it) in a duel against the arbiter or something.

yes i think the same thing

It was a missed opportunity for a boss battle. Such a shame.

> 2533274817408735;4:
> It was a missed opportunity for a boss battle. Such a shame.

well 343 give us the opportunity in warzone :confused:

'Nother one of these threads. Lemme just repost my own words from the last one.

> 2678033349858034;7:
> I hate that 343 Industries hooked in Karen Traviss to spin us Halo’s most tragic villain, and then knifed him before we got to see any of the good stuff. I thought that we were being primed for Halo 5 and 6 to twist things on their heads, have ONI become the bad guys and Jul more of a sympathetic obstacle. I figured with more and more novels exposing to us the sinister machinations of ONI, the appointment of a new, young, bold leader, and the shift in interspecies politics from hard lines to blurred ones, we’d see a trilogy defined by ideologies. Hood and Arbiter looking for peace through alliance, Jul looking for peace through eradication, Didact and Osman looking for peace through dominance. Coulda been really something.
>
> Ah, well, back to writing fanfic.

> 2535407463625298;5:
> > 2533274817408735;4:
> > It was a missed opportunity for a boss battle. Such a shame.
>
> well 343 give us the opportunity in warzone :confused:

Doesn’t have the same “umph” as doing it as part of the actual story. Warzone is a simulation, and it takes a bunch of Spartans to bring him down; you might not even get a chance to contribute.
Had it been a Campaign boss battle, your actions would have directly shaped the world of Halo 5. You would have been more integral to the story, not to mention the increased thrill of fighting a powerful Elite and his henchmen with just you and your, ahem, backup. Instead they just had you sit back and watch as he was taken out in a rather lackluster way.

i think it was a missed opportuntity both for story and gameplay. It could have been a good boss battle to fight. Story wise it didn’t make sense because they introduced the character in Halo 4 spartan ops then at the beginning of the next game he dies so easily. Jul could of contributed more to the story if he was still alive. And I understand that 343i probably wanted to get him out of the why so the created could be the main enemy but they could have had the UNSC fight Jul into hiding or somthing.

Jul’s death was a cheap cop-out to clear the way for Satana and her ~invincible Guardians.~ That’s not even an “I think” that’s just the facts.

…same with the Didact’s and 'Telcam’s clumsily fumbled disposals off-screen, too, really. 343i was building up a really bloody epic story with a mind-boggling amount of potential and then, then, at the last possible second, someone seemingly just went “lol nah let’s can this, bring back Cortana, and make her evil and invincible! SUBTLETY! NUANCE!”

Shh, I’m not salty, what are you talking about…?

I was shocked with Jul’s death to be honest. I didn’t see it coming, and personally I didn’t like it at first. Jul was an interesting character and antagonist, but since I view fiction only from the in universe stand point, I saw it coming. I just wasn’t expecting such a swift and easy take down. But, I realized the rationality behind it. And I’ll use what I said awhile back on a similar thread to showcase what I’m talking about when I say “rational:”

Why was Osama -Yoink!- assassinated by United States SEAL Team Six? Because they were ordered to and were best equipped to handle the job. They were tasked to take down a large threat to the United States, and they succeeded. The moment they took was the best opportunity they had, if not the last, and they went for it.

So, why was Jul 'Mdama assassinated by UNSC Spartan-IV Fireteam Osiris? Because they were ordered to and best equipped to handle the job. They were tasked to take down a large threat to the UNSC, and they succeeded. The moment they took was the best opportunity they had, if not the last, and they went for it. Not to mention Dr. Halsey’s life at stake due to the Promthean uprising occurring all around the Covenant.

It was logical and rational for the UNSC to do what they did. Had they not enacted and taken that opportunity and kept Jul alive to fight another day, he probably would have become more of a threat from their perspective.

However, as we know, he wouldn’t have been much of a threat due to the rise of the Created, but the UNSC didn’t know the future, and as such, eliminated their priority target on their hit list before he could do anymore damage.
But we know the main point of that Operation on Kamchatka was to rescue Halsey. It was convenient that Jul was there, as expected.
That’s why he was killed. Due to rational desicion making in military tactics and operations.

And of all the personnel in the UNSC, Fireteam Osiris was the best choice, especially Jameson Locke. Blue Team would have definitely sufficed as well, but because the priority of the mission was to rescue Dr. Halsey, Blue Team would have been an unwise choice due to the emotional attachments.

As such, if it were any other personnel sent to make sure this mission didn’t fail a third time, I do believe it wouldn’t have made much sense from a story perspective and from an in universe perspective.

Sincerely,
p1ay4OURFUN

Welcome OP, I see you’re a bit newerish… you’re a bit late to the party, we’ve been grousing about this for the last year and are mostly all in agreement, it was pathetic how poorly it was handled. He was an awesome villain with an actual backstory (unlike such fascinating characters as Warden Eternal) that we spent two novels and a comic series establishing, then sometime between development of H4 and H5 the decision was made somewhere to reboot the story arc and he becomes useless to our plans, so we dispatch him as lazily as possible. At least they could have made his death a little more interesting than have him offed in mission ONE just to show how OP Locke is.

It is a big letdown from the books and Spartan Ops buildup.
Fair enough, Jul was not much of a warrior and the books proved that he was no match for a Spartan.
Yet, he was a cunning mastermind with a lot of resources.
I have not read Escalation so maybe I am missing key information, but killing Jul served no purpose. In the Kilo 5 books, ONI wants to keep Sanghelios destabilized; killing Jul defeats that goal. Of all characters, Locke should know that; being part of ONI for most of his career (and still sporting the ONI logo on his armor). Yet it is Locke that takes down Jul. Unless it is a clever ONI-ish plot to fake Jul’s death so ONI can use him later, I don’t see the point.

Maybe things are better explained in Escalation.

> 2533274817408735;7:
> > 2535407463625298;5:
> > > 2533274817408735;4:
> > > It was a missed opportunity for a boss battle. Such a shame.
> >
> > well 343 give us the opportunity in warzone :confused:
>
> Doesn’t have the same “umph” as doing it as part of the actual story. Warzone is a simulation, and it takes a bunch of Spartans to bring him down; you might not even get a chance to contribute.
> Had it been a Campaign boss battle, your actions would have directly shaped the world of Halo 5. You would have been more integral to the story, not to mention the increased thrill of fighting a powerful Elite and his henchmen with just you and your, ahem, backup. Instead they just had you sit back and watch as he was taken out in a rather lackluster way.

yes you have reason and i also prefer a boss fight in the campaing maybe in the battle of sunaion but that in the end the Arbiter comes behind with his sword killing Jul or a with sword fight with Thel

If Jul was even half as good in campaign as he is in Warzone (and his hired help weren’t completely incompetent), then he would have mopped the floor with Locke and the rest of Osiris.

I think “good riddance!” I never liked Jul ever since he was introduced in the Kilo-Five novels and I was happy that he died an anti-climactic death.
My main problem is his attitude towards Humans: at the end if Thursday War, he has good reason to despise Humans, due to them abducting him and interfering in the Civil War, causing the deaths of his wife and all that. But before all this, when peace was made, Jul had the most asinine reasons for wanting to kill off the Humans: he was afraid that they would breed and multiply as fast as the Flood and take over Covenant colonies to support their numbers. This is so ridiculous; why would the UNSC risk a war with a galactic power which mostly outnumbers them in population, colonies, outposts and resources, instead of doing the logical thing and expanding their territory in the opposite direction (you know, the way the Ancient Humans did when they tried to escape Forerunner influence)?
I know some people like him, but I just can’t take him seriously.
But I think that my main problem with Jul is that I see him as representative of everything that’s wrong with the portrayal of the Elites in Kilo-Five.

“YEAH I GET GET FIGHT JUL-MDAMA!” cutscene ends “Well that’s disappointing.”

If only I had lived, for I could have handled those half-demons!