The Daily & Weekly Challenge 'Resetting' situation...

Well looky here! It’s another one of those topics, except, it’s not questioning it, it’s trying to help out about it.

Right, so before you attempt to redirect me to a topic in the ‘Multiplayer’ Section, I advise you remember that challenges are possible to do in Campaign as well as ANY game mode sometimes.

Anyways, here we go.

So we are all aware of the current situation with Daily/Weekly Challenges, there are tons of reported cases were people are complaining/informing that there Daily/Weekly Challenges are resetting after they have loaded up Reach, then they are posting that they are scared if they continue to play & unlock these challenges, they will be reset or possibly banned from Reach.

As of now, I have yet to see a quote from a 343i Employee that they are aware of the problem and are configuring a fix.

Now before I attempt to offer some advice, I would like to explain the reason behind this and why people are worried of being banned or reset.

People’s worries explained…

So we all know how strict the Reach banhammer is don’t we?
Well the problem is with it, it isn’t the smartest ban hammer, it is an automatic system and not man controlled.

So we also know that ‘Challenge Resetting’ is detectable and is also against the rules and you risk a reset/ban for doing such a thing.

When people are signing into Xbox LIVE and loading up Reach, ever since the switch from Bungie to 343i on the servers for Reach, the Stats server hasn’t been as fast as Bungie’s was.

The Stats server contains EVERYTHING about your Service Record, armour online, emblems, service tags, armour colours, displayed ranks to other players online and all sorts of stuff, but NOT Matchmaking, they are different servers.

Anyways, this is why on the 2nd of August, your ranks were not displaying to everyone but you and nothing was normal, the stats server was down while the switch between Bungie & 343i was happening.

This is also how actual ‘Challenge Resetting’ is possible, once you resign in from doing earlier steps, your challenge progress hasn’t been loaded, because you have connected fully to the stats server.
And that is what is happening here, people are logging into Reach but they are not connecting fully to Reach’s Stats server, resulting in challenge progress not loading up.

Which leads me back to the start, the banhammer isn’t smart, it’s not human controlled, it will ban you but not take facts into opinion, it’s automatic, resulting in possible false bans and false resets, which in the current topic for appeals, is filled with pointless ‘trolls’ and by the looks of it not monitored.

Solutions & Advice

Well right now, there is no solution other than to not play Reach, if you earn a Daily/Weekly Challenge, if you notice your progress has been reset, then stop playing instantly and wait for your original challenge progress to load up, it may take a while but it will eventually happen.

Another possible solution may be just to go and chill in Forge for a while, build something and not attempt to get any kills in case you unlock the challenge again and risk a ban/reset and then eventually end the game and check your challenge progress, if it has still not updated, then I am afraid you will just need to stop playing unless you really want to run that risk.

Help me & others out

Right now I have a theory, it may sound stupid but I think it’s based on what country you are in, I have only yet to see those from the US informing people that their progress is being reset, if your challenge progress is being reset every time you load up Reach, please reply to this topic with what country you are from and how long it takes for your challenge progress to eventually load up.

Perhaps if we can gather up enough information, when 343i come aware of the problem, we can supply them with it and perhaps say it’s a certain stats server.

Just to say, my theory is only this as I am from the UK and so are many of my friends and all of them including me have not had this problem.

Thanks for reading, I hope I can help out, if you have any more questions on the matter, either PM me or reply to this topic and either I or another community member will be sure to help you out.

PS: I am in no way trying to suck up to 343 at all, I am in all honesty trying to help out, if you read my posts in the ‘Why was I banned’ Topic, I tend to try and help out a lot.

-Moa

EDIT: Seems like bs angel has commented on the issue on this topic: http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/t/26666.aspx?PageIndex=6

> > > Thanks for the heads up about the challenges resetting. Just so all of you know, we began looking into this as soon as the reports started coming in. We’re currently in the process of narrowing down why this is happening. When there’s an update, I’ll pop back in and tell you the latest. Until then, please continue forum-ing and playing. :slight_smile:
> >
> > So no punishment if you completed the challenges twice, correct?
>
> I haven’t seen any reports of people being banned from this.
>
> Also, we believe the issues have been resolved. If you still experience challenges being reset, let us know. But, fingers crossed, everything should be back to normal.

As of now, the issue may have been resolved and apparently no bans have been recorded but not everyone has a forum account or even knows how to make one.

I still advise you all to take it easy and double check your Challenges before attempting to play Reach for the next few days to be safe.

Hmm well I’ve heard some stuff today in the forums about the fact that the banhammer can detect if you’ve cheated the system and re-set the challenges for personal gain or if it wasn’t your fault. I don’t know if that is true but it’s something to consider.

Btw, I’m from the UK and none of my challenges have been re-set so I do seem to think it might be players from the US who are suffering.

> Hmm well I’ve heard some stuff today in the forums about the fact that the banhammer can detect if you’ve cheated the system and re-set the challenges for personal gain or if it wasn’t your fault. I don’t know if that is true but it’s something to consider.
>
> Btw, I’m from the UK and none of my challenges have been re-set so I do seem to think it might be players from the US who are suffering.

The banhammer can detect if it’s the stats servers side such as a player gaining the same challenge twice, but it the player tries to help his friends complete the Weekly Challenge but does it in 3 different playing times, it’s possible for the player to gain the challenge 3 times without even noticing why.

I’m from the UK, I know 3 people and myself whose Daily Challenges are resetting. All our weeklys are fine but we can’t complete the FF Challenges today without them resetting

Here is a thread in which BS Angel discusses the issue:
http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/t/26666.aspx?PageIndex=6

Oh ok, I guess that makes sense.

> Here is a thread in which BS Angel discusses the issue:
> http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/t/26666.aspx?PageIndex=6

Thanks Link, will add this to the post.

> Thanks Link, will add this to the post.

Anytime. :slight_smile:

> Right now I have a theory, it may sound stupid but I think it’s based on what country you are in, I have only yet to see those from the US informing people that their progress is being reset, if your challenge progress is being reset every time you load up Reach, please reply to this topic with what country you are from and how long it takes for your challenge progress to eventually load up.
>
> Perhaps if we can gather up enough information, when 343i come aware of the problem, we can supply them with it and perhaps say it’s a certain stats server.
>
> Just to say, my theory is only this as I am from the UK and so are many of my friends and all of them including me have not had this problem.

I am from NZ and I had the Weekly reset on me.

I suspect you could be right about the Challenge server, because I was signed out after completing it, if I remember correctly, and noticed as I went to do the Firefight Challenges with a mate.

If I’d signed in, noticed it not having been completed and gone and done it before some system had realised, then I presume I could have done it twice or perhaps more often.

A likely theory, I believe.

thanks, this was much needed