The Current State of Recon

Just before I get flamed heavily for posting this I respect all the people that earned Recon and you guys deserve it. Now onto the debate…

Just my opinion on the Recon in Halo 3 is that once 343 finally gets a hold of the game it should be unlocked for everyone. I know what some of you are thinking but here are my points for this:

  • By unlocking recon armor, I would see it as both 343 and Bungie compensating us gamers for the horrendous lag that is in their co-op games. Especially in ODST, Reach and Anniversary. (At least I see it badly there)By unlocking it, they would take responsibility for making us strive to get it in co-op despite how laggy it almost always is.

  • Recon could be a reason for some people to sign back onto Halo 3 for a little while. Ya I mean they might not stay with the game but it would definitely bring more hype about Halo to a CoD dominated XBL. Halo 4 is on the horizon and it would be a good business ploy.

  • For those that did unlock Recon legit, you guys should be compensated in some way or another as long as it is community based to keep you around Halo. Whether it a ton of cr in Reach or even unlocking flaming for those who got Recon in Halo 3 (possible now because Bungie will not be running the game) Whatever it be make sure the user must sign online here or waypoint to redeem it.

-The last reason I think it should be unlocked is because there are new people joining the Halo experiance all the time in some way or form. There are always players that are either just beginning Halo 3 or ODST due to being new members or not being to afford either when they originally came out. Either way every Halo player should have at least a chance to earn it.

  • The last point I have about it is that most DLC has a cost at first but is eventually given to the community. This is definitely a little different then regular DLC but the point still makes semi-sense.

This is just my take on it. I do have some other ideas about why it should be unlocked. Like I said before I can understand why people don’t want to see it unlocked. Like to hear everyones feedback!

> - The last point I have about it is that most DLC has a cost at first but is eventually given to the community. This is definitely a little different then regular DLC but the point still makes semi-sense.
>
> This is just my take on it. I do have some other ideas about why it should be unlocked. Like I said before I can understand why people don’t want to see it unlocked. Like to hear everyones feedback!

I think I once read that Armor DLC is an impossiblity in Halo, because of the way it works on the maps. But we can dream.

i understand what you are saying but dont you think that it would also have people who are still trying to get it stop playing?

> > - The last point I have about it is that most DLC has a cost at first but is eventually given to the community. This is definitely a little different then regular DLC but the point still makes semi-sense.
> >
> > This is just my take on it. I do have some other ideas about why it should be unlocked. Like I said before I can understand why people don’t want to see it unlocked. Like to hear everyones feedback!
>
> <mark>I think I once read that Armor is an impossiblity in Halo</mark>, because of the way it works on the maps. But we can dream.

I think gullible is the right word to express what I think of this post.

I earned Recon. Just like EVERYONE else should.

If you aren’t good enough to get it, TOUGH! Get better at the game and keep trying!

And another thing, the game doesn’t lag, you do. I lag just as bad, if not, worse than most people, and I still got Recon.

Just because you are to lazy to work for it doesn’t mean you should get it for free!

Work = reward. No work = no reward. Simple formula, I suggest you memorize it.

It amazes me the lengths people will go for free stuff, where is the satisfaction in it?

Edit: Oh! Now it all makes sense! Your name says EVERYTHING!

> > > - The last point I have about it is that most DLC has a cost at first but is eventually given to the community. This is definitely a little different then regular DLC but the point still makes semi-sense.
> > >
> > > This is just my take on it. I do have some other ideas about why it should be unlocked. Like I said before I can understand why people don’t want to see it unlocked. Like to hear everyones feedback!
> >
> > <mark>I think I once read that Armor is an impossiblity in Halo</mark>, because of the way it works on the maps. But we can dream.
>
> I think gullible is the right word to express what I think of this post.
>
> I earned Recon. Just like EVERYONE else should.
>
> If you aren’t good enough to get it, TOUGH! Get better at the game and keep trying!
>
> And another thing, the game doesn’t lag, you do. I lag just as bad, if not, worse than most people, and I still got Recon.
>
> Just because you are to lazy to work for it doesn’t mean you should get it for free!
>
> Work = reward. No work = no reward. Simple formula, I suggest you memorize it.
>
> It amazes me the lengths people will go for free stuff, where is the satisfaction in it?
>
> Edit: Oh! Now it all makes sense! Your name says EVERYTHING!

The typical response I was expecting. So bad we cant actually have a decent natured discussion on this forum…

You know I agree with you 100%. I just got a 360 and halo 3 was the first game I got. Reach was second. i haven’'t had the money to get ODST yet. By the time I get it I probably will never be able to get Recon…

Honestly, I just wish people still played Halo 3.

> You know I agree with you 100%. I just got a 360 and halo 3 was the first game I got. Reach was second. i haven’'t had the money to get ODST yet. By the time I get it I probably will never be able to get Recon…

Well OK, I guess I kind of got off on the wrong foot.

OK, say you enter a contest, and the prize is a brand new sports car, and you REALLY want that sports car, and if you win you get all kinds of bragging rights people will look up to you if you win. But, what if you win? it’d be great right? Well, what if later on, so many people want that car that they just give one to everybody? Then, the value of that car will immediately become no more than the average junker. Wouldn’t you be upset that the car you spent so much time and effort on suddenly means nothing?

Why do you even want Recon? Because it’s hard to get? Because you want people to say “Wow, that guy has Recon, he must be a pro!”?

> > You know I agree with you 100%. I just got a 360 and halo 3 was the first game I got. Reach was second. i haven’'t had the money to get ODST yet. By the time I get it I probably will never be able to get Recon…
>
> Well OK, I guess I kind of got off on the wrong foot.
>
> OK, say you enter a contest, and the prize is a brand new sports car, and you REALLY want that sports car, and if you win you get all kinds of bragging rights people will look up to you if you win. But, what if you win? it’d be great right? Well, what if later on, so many people want that car that they just give one to everybody? Then, the value of that car will immediately become no more than the average junker. Wouldn’t you be upset that the car you spent so much time and effort on suddenly means nothing?
>
> Why do you even want Recon? Because it’s hard to get? Because you want people to say “Wow, that guy has Recon, he must be a pro!”?

Your arguement was absolutley horrendous. Cars depreciate in value as soon as their driven off the lot anyway. In 5 years your “new” sports car would have been eclipsed by a better model everyone wants. So to say that because they gave the car away would make it junker? No. The selling price of the car would go down as newer models come out naturally. Simple economics… Also its a contest so you actually didnt put any work into it other than you got lucky.

Your example’s flaws are no different then the flaws of Recon not being open to the public. Recon is 5 years old. Its value has already depreciated. So to be honest Recon’s value is already very small considering how many people actually still CARE about Halo 3. Those are the people that still ACTUALLY play the game. Just a simple economic arguement against your point :slight_smile:

But anyway I would like Recon because Im kinda a perfectionist when it comes to playing games. Ive been on the PC forever but I just can’t afford the new PC software anymore to keep upgrading. Console is just so much cheaper. Im relatively new to the console scene and I want to start it off right with completing the Halo games.

Wow I never thought I would see basic economic theory discussed on a Halo forum. You sir are a legend hahaha

> - By unlocking recon armor, I would see it as both 343 and Bungie compensating us gamers for the horrendous lag that is in their co-op games. Especially in ODST, Reach and Anniversary. (At least I see it badly there)By unlocking it, they would take responsibility for making us strive to get it in co-op despite how laggy it almost always is.

You want compensation for YOUR crappy connection?

> > - By unlocking recon armor, I would see it as both 343 and Bungie compensating us gamers for the horrendous lag that is in their co-op games. Especially in ODST, Reach and Anniversary. (At least I see it badly there)By unlocking it, they would take responsibility for making us strive to get it in co-op despite how laggy it almost always is.
>
> You want compensation for YOUR crappy connection?

Before you made that statement you probably didnt realize I have Comcast’s fastest internet package you can buy for a home. Its 21 megabytes a second. I also have a high performance router from netgear weighing in at roughly $260.00. Ya I invest in my internet big time. All my ports are open as well plus I have installed the games before and still despite this the Halo games are the only ones I lag in.

I hear you man on the lag. Its god awful. I only see it in Reach co-op, ODST and the worst in Anniversary co-op. Litterally Anniversary’s co-op lag was so bad when I went over to my buddies it literally disconnected him from live. He too has a very good internet connection. Anniversary’s co-op is definitely the worst with lag followed closely by ODST.

As with the lag in ODST. Come on seriously? You must dumb-witted or were never a part of the B.net community to see all the threads on there complaining about the lag when people were really in the hunt for Recon. I attempted to nab it not too long ago but the lag was god awful. I have my ports open and the game installed and it was still terrible.

I don’t think it will be unlocked for all. I’ve earned recon on two separate accounts and going for my final third before it all ends (just need two more odst challenges). I figure like I did 2-3 years ago when it was first unlocked via vidmasters I will help one final crowd of players that want to get it and along the way possibly get more of my accounts recon in the process =)

Recon armor will be one of those long lasting statues in Halo 3 for players that did it all and went the full mile. I don’t think unlocking it for everyone would be the greatest idea. Keep it for the legends, the players that made Halo 3 awesome =)

“If you dont do the work you dont get the shiny”
- Totalbiscuit

> “If you dont do the work you dont get the shiny”
> - Totalbiscuit

But more than half the people that have Recon didnt do the work but have the “shiny”. I now soooooo many people that modded it and unlocked it on their computers using the usb hack.

> I don’t think it will be unlocked for all. I’ve earned recon on two separate accounts and going for my final third before it all ends (just need two more odst challenges). I figure like I did 2-3 years ago when it was first unlocked via vidmasters I will help one final crowd of players that want to get it and along the way possibly get more of my accounts recon in the process =)
>
> Recon armor will be one of those long lasting statues in Halo 3 for players that did it all and went the full mile. I don’t think unlocking it for everyone would be the greatest idea. Keep it for the legends, the players that made Halo 3 awesome =)

I’d like to join you, as I have already posted on your topic =)

> > I don’t think it will be unlocked for all. I’ve earned recon on two separate accounts and going for my final third before it all ends (just need two more odst challenges). I figure like I did 2-3 years ago when it was first unlocked via vidmasters I will help one final crowd of players that want to get it and along the way possibly get more of my accounts recon in the process =)
> >
> > Recon armor will be one of those long lasting statues in Halo 3 for players that did it all and went the full mile. I don’t think unlocking it for everyone would be the greatest idea. Keep it for the legends, the players that made Halo 3 awesome =)
>
> I’d like to join you, as I have already posted on your topic =)

I sent you a PM with the details.

> > > You know I agree with you 100%. I just got a 360 and halo 3 was the first game I got. Reach was second. i haven’'t had the money to get ODST yet. By the time I get it I probably will never be able to get Recon…
> >
> > Well OK, I guess I kind of got off on the wrong foot.
> >
> > OK, say you enter a contest, and the prize is a brand new sports car, and you REALLY want that sports car, and if you win you get all kinds of bragging rights people will look up to you if you win. But, what if you win? it’d be great right? Well, what if later on, so many people want that car that they just give one to everybody? Then, the value of that car will immediately become no more than the average junker. Wouldn’t you be upset that the car you spent so much time and effort on suddenly means nothing?
> >
> > Why do you even want Recon? Because it’s hard to get? Because you want people to say “Wow, that guy has Recon, he must be a pro!”?
>
> Your arguement was absolutley horrendous. Cars depreciate in value as soon as their driven off the lot anyway. In 5 years your “new” sports car would have been eclipsed by a better model everyone wants. So to say that because they gave the car away would make it junker? No. The selling price of the car would go down as newer models come out naturally. Simple economics… Also its a contest so you actually didnt put any work into it other than you got lucky.
>
> Your example’s flaws are no different then the flaws of Recon not being open to the public. Recon is 5 years old. Its value has already depreciated. So to be honest Recon’s value is already very small considering how many people actually still CARE about Halo 3. Those are the people that still ACTUALLY play the game. Just a simple economic arguement against your point :slight_smile:
>
> But anyway I would like Recon because Im kinda a perfectionist when it comes to playing games. Ive been on the PC forever but I just can’t afford the new PC software anymore to keep upgrading. Console is just so much cheaper. Im relatively new to the console scene and I want to start it off right with completing the Halo games.

It was an example. You completely missed the point.

If you earn something, it is worth more to you than if it is given to you.

Recon is only for people who put in the time and effort for it.

If you are to lazy, you will never get Recon.

Oh, and another thing, I lagged out of the Endure challenge 17 times just a few rounds from the end, but I kept coming back, and it paid off.

Sure, Recon is tough to get. However, I intend to get that! Endure and it’s lag is definately holding me back now.