The Current State of Halo Matchmaking

So, this is the way I see it. If I could range the current state of Halo Matchmaking on a scale of 1-10, i would have to put it around a seven. And this generalization is not becasue i dont like the game; because i do. i say this for many reasons.

1. Players
  • The matchmaking expirence is a good one, if you dont have someone one your team who is a power weapon freak. By this I mean, someone who intentionally betrays when they do not get the power weapon they are after. In my opinion, the two main weapos of this the sniper and shotgun. I have never betrayed someone for getting to a power weapon before i do. i never will. I am perfectly capable of getting kills in other ways, but, I will betray back if I am betrayed for this reason. This, I have done many times. And, I may end up being the one booted, but I dont care once I have been betrayed on purpose.
  • I also cant stand it when players quit simply beacsue either they are losing or just dont want to play. Here is the way i see it, no one man can defeat a whole team of four. There is a reason it is called TEAM. Sure, sometimes there are certain occasions that may cause someone to go offline spontaiously but, on purpose is not acceptable.
  1. Maps
  • Some of the maps on Reach are great. I dont have a problem with most of them. But some are a bit on the bad side. MOst of everyone knows this so i dont need to go into detail on it.
  1. Weapon Power
  • Halo has been notorious for the matchmaking being controled by the team with the most powerful weaposn and/or vehicles. For instance, I remember in halo 3, if you owned the shotgun, you had 25+ kills. Now, if one owns a banshee or wraith, they have a great amount of kills. Sure, the game has game variants to help with this but, the game overall is a very “Who has the best” game.

Okay, Im done. Say what you will.

I would give it a 5 for the player base alone. I have begun to despise BTB, my favorite playlist, because I always get matched with full parties. I know what you’ll say, I should get into a full party, but not many of my friends play Reach anymore. I also have not had a single game in the last week where the entire team, on one or both sides, stays the whole game. I’m also getting annoyed at most of the people with mics, and have given up on using a mic because of the people screaming into their mics.

I have to rate it an 8 the only downfall was the armor lock and ranking system

Rate it a 6.

Grenades
Quitters and afk
Armor lock and jet pack
Double melees
No ranking system

> Rate it a 6.
>
> Grenades
> Quitters and afk
> Armor lock and jet pack
> Double melees
> No ranking system

I second that.

I just can’t stand that whenever I play arena, at least 30-40% of the time a teamate quits out. Sometimes we are winning (maybe they lag out) but most of the times we are down 5-8 kills. That is nothing impossible to come back from, and there have actually been times where my two remaining teamates came back and won in high level arena. It’s just ridiculous. I lose so many games because of it and it doesn’t help anybody.

And for god sakes, in the ‘competitive’ playlist, stop putting sword base on EVERY single three map selection. I play it in about 60%+ of my games. I hate that map, AND AR start.

While you are more than welcome to air your concerns I would like to point a couple things out to you. (I am speaking to the original poster).

Issues wth players betraying and or quitting:

Unfortunetly there are always going to be people that feel the need to betray for a weapon. While I know how damn frustrating that is there is a better way of dealing with it then team killing them back. First off there is already a booting system built into the game for this problem. So if given the option naturally use it. Second, if you are not given the option to boot them and you just can’t let it go then I will usually just go and stand in front of the person until they betray me again so that I can boot them and move on.

As far as quiting goes I agree it sucks when people leave the game in the middle. But, as you pointed out there could be any number of reasons that the player left (connection issues, life commitment etc). When someone drops it only makes it worse for those still in the game if you leave too. You are going to get credits anyway if you finish out the game, so why not do so? If a large portion of your team has left the game and you just want it over you can alway just run at the other team, or not guard/go for the objective.

Maps: Yes there are maps that are a ton of fun to play and others that do not work well. Without taking the time to point out the issues you have with a specific map and then suggesting your preposed solutions why should the game designers look at it either?

Power Weapons / Vehicles: This dynamic has been part of the Halo sandbox ever since Halo 1. Part of the game play balance is figuring out how to best obtain and take out the weilders of the power weapons and the vehicle operators.

With that being said I do agree that in Reach there is an issue with the banshee because it is very difficult to damage it with standard weapons. In past versions of Halo if you got your team to focus their regular weapon fire on the Banshe you could dispatch it and move on. In Reach standard weapons just don’t cut it. If you mix that with the Banshee Bomb you have a recipe for a long an painful game. I feel that the banshee needs to be either removed from match making or anti banshee weapons need ot be more prevelant in game types that have the Banshee to balkance things out.

At the end of the day I get that you have issues with the game. I am just saying that after you bring up what the problems are try to suggest what you think might “solve” the issue for you.

-Compton

> While you are more than welcome to air your concerns I would like to point a couple things out to you. (I am speaking to the original poster).
>
> Issues wth players betraying and or quitting:
>
> Unfortunetly there are always going to be people that feel the need to betray for a weapon. While I know how damn frustrating that is there is a better way of dealing with it then team killing them back. First off there is already a booting system built into the game for this problem. So if given the option naturally use it. Second, if you are not given the option to boot them and you just can’t let it go then I will usually just go and stand in front of the person until they betray me again so that I can boot them and move on.
>
> As far as quiting goes I agree it sucks when people leave the game in the middle. But, as you pointed out there could be any number of reasons that the player left (connection issues, life commitment etc). When someone drops it only makes it worse for those still in the game if you leave too. You are going to get credits anyway if you finish out the game, so why not do so? If a large portion of your team has left the game and you just want it over you can alway just run at the other team, or not guard/go for the objective.
>
> Maps: Yes there are maps that are a ton of fun to play and others that do not work well. Without taking the time to point out the issues you have with a specific map and then suggesting your preposed solutions why should the game designers look at it either?
>
> Power Weapons / Vehicles: This dynamic has been part of the Halo sandbox ever since Halo 1. Part of the game play balance is figuring out how to best obtain and take out the weilders of the power weapons and the vehicle operators.
>
> With that being said I do agree that in Reach there is an issue with the banshee because it is very difficult to damage it with standard weapons. In past versions of Halo if you got your team to focus their regular weapon fire on the Banshe you could dispatch it and move on. In Reach standard weapons just don’t cut it. If you mix that with the Banshee Bomb you have a recipe for a long an painful game. I feel that the banshee needs to be either removed from match making or anti banshee weapons need ot be more prevelant in game types that have the Banshee to balkance things out.
>
> At the end of the day I get that you have issues with the game. I am just saying that after you bring up what the problems are try to suggest what you think might “solve” the issue for you.
>
> -Compton

On your quitting section, I get when one or two people quit, but I have had my whole team quit quite often and leave me getting spawn killed the rest of the game.

The banshee is a huge problem since it’s flips are far faster than in other games. In the previous Halos the banshee either couldn’t flip or only used it to avoid rockets or lasers since any other weapon or player would have no difficulty tracking and staying on the banshee. I would say tie the banshee flips to the boost bar and give it a limited number of fuel rod shots since they are so powerful.

I give it an 8…

First of all unlike anybody out there except Infinity Ward and DICE, they add a lot of matchmaking updates to their game…monthly …and add new playlists to…
They only thing i don’t like is the playlist limit,gameplay (this is what i call casual arena shooter, or slowed down arena shooter to not anger some people)and a custom server browser, but that just what i want;I know that implementing a server browser will be hard and cost a lot of money and such…

I’d give Reach matchmaking a 5. There are days when I’d say it is a 9 or 10, and there are days where I’d say it’s at a 1. So, 5 seems to be a nice average.