The Covenant vs the Guardians

For the sake of debate, had the Covenant survived as a civilization, could they have stood up to the guardians to an extent?

Well the Covenant itself is made up of multiple different species, not just one. Also no, they wouldn’t really pose much a threat as the Guardian could just EMP them and smash their ships like a toddler on a temper tantrum, but in space. They might be able to get a few good hits in, but afterward it would just be slaughter, especially if Cortana is on that Guardian, they would all be trouble…

Do we have any concrete info on how many Guardians there are in the galaxy? Because I think that will be a pretty important fact in regards to this discussion since, at the height of their power, the Covenant had a pretty massive fleet. I could see the Covenant overwhelming the Space Birds through sheer numbers and maybe some guerrilla tactics: turn a covie ship into a giant missile and just launch it at terminal velocity at the Guardian (it’s not like the aren’t Shipmasters who are fanatical enough to do something like that).

> 2535410570006717;2:
> Well the Covenant itself is made up of multiple different species, not just one. Also no, they wouldn’t really pose much a threat as the Guardian could just EMP them and smash their ships like a toddler on a temper tantrum, but in space. They might be able to get a few good hits in, but afterward it would just be slaughter, especially if Cortana is on that Guardian, they would all be trouble…

I doubt it would be that bad. The guardians were used as a police force on lesser civilizations and pocket empires. I doubt they ever had to deal with one as large as the Covenant. Plus we have seen forerunner technology overwhelmed before with a corvette vs multiple retrievers .

> 2533274806469514;4:
> > 2535410570006717;2:
> > Well the Covenant itself is made up of multiple different species, not just one. Also no, they wouldn’t really pose much a threat as the Guardian could just EMP them and smash their ships like a toddler on a temper tantrum, but in space. They might be able to get a few good hits in, but afterward it would just be slaughter, especially if Cortana is on that Guardian, they would all be trouble…
>
> I doubt it would be that bad. The guardians were used as a police force on lesser civilizations and pocket empires. I doubt they ever had to deal with one as large as the Covenant. Plus we have seen forerunner technology overwhelmed before with a corvette vs multiple retrievers .

Did you see what Cortana did to the known galaxy with the Guardians at the end of H5? The Guardians EMP’d planets back to the stone age and rendered nearly all tech and ships hit by those EMP’s useless. Those EMP’s can also affect Forerunner technology so Covie ships would be child’s play for the Guardians.

> 2533274870884222;3:
> Do we have any concrete info on how many Guardians there are in the galaxy? Because I think that will be a pretty important fact in regards to this discussion since, at the height of their power, the Covenant had a pretty massive fleet. I could see the Covenant overwhelming the Space Birds through sheer numbers and maybe some guerrilla tactics: turn a covie ship into a giant missile and just launch it at terminal velocity at the Guardian (it’s not like the aren’t Shipmasters who are fanatical enough to do something like that).

At least 3000 Guardians existed at one point as evidenced by Guardian 3209: This Guardian inadvertently carried an M820 Scorpion from its point of origin to Genesis.

Yeah I think the Covenant has this. It will be tough fight but they should win by attrition. As pointed out above, the Guardians are a police force so they aren’t as potent in their destructive capabilities (at least by what we know as of now) as other, more military orientated, Forerunner constructs. Now if these were Seekers or Onyx Sentinels it would go completely differently (RIP to the Great Journey).

> 2533274870884222;7:
> Yeah I think the Covenant has this. It will be tough fight but they should win by attrition. As pointed out above, the Guardians are a police force so they aren’t as potent in their destructive capabilities (at least by what we know as of now) as other, more military orientated, Forerunner constructs. Now if these were Seekers or Onyx Sentinels it would go completely differently (RIP to the Great Journey).

Well the covenant fleet did hold its own for a time against the onyx sentinels. Just depends on how many can combine to increase their weaponry.

> 2533274806469514;8:
> > 2533274870884222;7:
> > Yeah I think the Covenant has this. It will be tough fight but they should win by attrition. As pointed out above, the Guardians are a police force so they aren’t as potent in their destructive capabilities (at least by what we know as of now) as other, more military orientated, Forerunner constructs. Now if these were Seekers or Onyx Sentinels it would go completely differently (RIP to the Great Journey).
>
> Well the covenant fleet did hold its own for a time against the onyx sentinels. Just depends on how many can combine to increase their weaponry.

Main problem in dealing with Onyx Sentinels is their insane production rate. 40 having to combine to deal with Covenant ships might sound like a lot until you remember that the entire planet Onyx was composed of those things.

> 2533274870884222;9:
> > 2533274806469514;8:
> > > 2533274870884222;7:
> > > Yeah I think the Covenant has this. It will be tough fight but they should win by attrition. As pointed out above, the Guardians are a police force so they aren’t as potent in their destructive capabilities (at least by what we know as of now) as other, more military orientated, Forerunner constructs. Now if these were Seekers or Onyx Sentinels it would go completely differently (RIP to the Great Journey).
> >
> > Well the covenant fleet did hold its own for a time against the onyx sentinels. Just depends on how many can combine to increase their weaponry.
>
> Main problem in dealing with Onyx Sentinels is their insane production rate. 40 having to combine to deal with Covenant ships might sound like a lot until you remember that the entire planet Onyx was composed of those things.

True, there was no way the Covenant could win against that kind of firepower. With the guardians though I think they stand a fair chance if they can avoid the EMP.