The Covenant is on Reach. I repeat, the Covenant

“The Covenant is on Reach. I repeat, the Covenant is on Reach”

This is the single most dull and unrealistic piece of dialogue that I have ever heard in a Halo game… Hell. In any game. Reach’s campaign wasn’t what it was hyped up to be.

I’m still annoyed by the lack of Dynamic Shadows, mainly because they were implemented in the Alpha stage and removed for the Beta.

The boring levels - ToTS is what I’m talking about. Have you seen the PAX footage with all the stuff that was supposed to be included with Reach? If not, ToTS was supposed to be a giant sandbox level where you’re in the warthog charging into the enemy - Instead of you know, separating to the right and following some boring mission.

Space battles? Pffffft. In the pre-alpha they had multiple frigates and UNSC space vehicles fighting off a Covenant fleet. What did we get in the retail? 3 Sabres, a Frigate and a Covenant Corvette. Extremely dull.

Now. To the point of this thread. What don’t you want to see in a new Halo game?

I say terrible dialogue, small scripted levels, and visuals that are smothered in motion blur and frame blending to cover up a 30 fps frame rate.

I agree. Bungie screwed up on the Campaign big time. I’ve known this for a while. Their biggest Sin is retconning the Fall of Reach and First Strike, and replacing it with pure crap. Honestly, I’d have rather played a Campaign that was closely tied-in with the books, had a good, long story (Halo 2 long) and had likable characters. We got none of that in Reach. It’s like Bungie stopped trying.

For what I’d like to see in Halo 4: 343i actually caring and trying to make a good Campaign.

Tip of The Spear was a great mission, I’m glad it was included, though I would have liked the Hog mission to have happened afterwards. As for the space battles, yeah, I’m disappointed too. I’m not even going to comment on the introduction of the Covenant, words cannot justify that atrocity.

> I agree. Bungie screwed up on the Campaign big time. I’ve known this for a while. Their biggest Sin is retconning the Fall of Reach and First Strike, and replacing it with pure crap. Honestly, I’d have rather played a Campaign that was closely tied-in with the books, had a good, long story (Halo 2 long) and had likable characters. We got none of that in Reach. It’s like Bungie stopped trying.
>
> For what I’d like to see in Halo 4: 343i actually caring and trying to make a good Campaign.

FS and FoR happen in conjunction with Reach, the radio conversations expand on some of the Spartans from those novels.

Reach doesn’t take away any of the SIIs from FS or FoR. Reach introduces more SIIIs, which were introduced in GoO.

And as far I understand things, the easy way would have been to adapt either FS or FoR into a game. Bungie did things the hard way, not the inferred easy way.

Well… People complain that the campaign isn’t that great. Yes, the missions seemed boring but how would you have improved it? I would like to see a series of episodes created by somebody that would visualize what should have happened in Reach.

I want a Star Wars Battlefront style Halo game.

> > I agree. Bungie screwed up on the Campaign big time. I’ve known this for a while. Their biggest Sin is retconning the Fall of Reach and First Strike, and replacing it with pure crap. Honestly, I’d have rather played a Campaign that was closely tied-in with the books, had a good, long story (Halo 2 long) and had likable characters. We got none of that in Reach. It’s like Bungie stopped trying.
> >
> > For what I’d like to see in Halo 4: 343i actually caring and trying to make a good Campaign.
>
> FS and FoR happen in conjunction with Reach, the radio conversations expand on some of the Spartans from those novels.
>
> Reach doesn’t take away any of the SIIs from FS or FoR. Reach introduces more SIIIs, which were introduced in GoO.
>
> And as far I understand things, the easy way would have been to adapt either FS or FoR into a game. Bungie did things the hard way, not the inferred easy way.

Completely agreed. I have absolutely no problem accepting Reach, Fall of Reach, and First Strike in one canon.

I agree some lines were less then stellar in performance from the side characters. But were you expecting a complete breakdown of military training? Is it only real if everyone is panicking but for the lone gunman?

I noticed some complaints about the cliches of each of Noble Team. For me it usually seems to argue down to one type of cliche being acceptable but another is not, all due to the familiarity small experiences.

In the end, I wasn’t happy with some of the supporting VA but I definitely found the overall experience to be great. My gripes are much more nerdcentric.

How about 343 finish what reach started out to be, and become inspired by halo 3 already. Didnt you guys get that feel that halo ce was a little bit in every game besides h2. Bungie just needed to let go but they didnt.

> > I agree. Bungie screwed up on the Campaign big time. I’ve known this for a while. Their biggest Sin is retconning the Fall of Reach and First Strike, and replacing it with pure crap. Honestly, I’d have rather played a Campaign that was closely tied-in with the books, had a good, long story (Halo 2 long) and had likable characters. We got none of that in Reach. It’s like Bungie stopped trying.
> >
> > For what I’d like to see in Halo 4: 343i actually caring and trying to make a good Campaign.
>
> FS and FoR happen in conjunction with Reach, the radio conversations expand on some of the Spartans from those novels.
>
> Reach doesn’t take away any of the SIIs from FS or FoR. Reach introduces more SIIIs, which were introduced in GoO.
>
> And as far I understand things, the easy way would have been to adapt either FS or FoR into a game. Bungie did things the hard way, not the inferred easy way.

They can’t go together. Bungie changed the dates, making it last a month. In the book, the Covenant came in full force, no “scourt party” BS, and crushed Reach in a day. Also, the books and Reach don’t line up, because then the Spartans and all of the UNSC look dumb. No-one noticed that the Covenant were on Reach for a month? The Spartan IIs didn’t notice? Keyes and the SIIs were going on a mission to capture a Covenant ship while Reach was getting glassed for a month?

Keyes and everyone were shocked in the book to find out that the Covenant were on Reach, because the Covenant weren’t on Reach prior to invasion on August 30th, 2552. Halsey didn’t know. Chief and the SIIs didn’t know, and they’d the first to know!

The books and games don’t line up.

Its tragic. It really is.

When I play the level where the marine says “The Covenant is on Reach. I repeat, the Covanent is on Reach.” i think no duh!!! He must be limited! And Reach was supposed to a full scale invasion! It wasn’t!

> > > I agree. Bungie screwed up on the Campaign big time. I’ve known this for a while. Their biggest Sin is retconning the Fall of Reach and First Strike, and replacing it with pure crap. Honestly, I’d have rather played a Campaign that was closely tied-in with the books, had a good, long story (Halo 2 long) and had likable characters. We got none of that in Reach. It’s like Bungie stopped trying.
> > >
> > > For what I’d like to see in Halo 4: 343i actually caring and trying to make a good Campaign.
> >
> > FS and FoR happen in conjunction with Reach, the radio conversations expand on some of the Spartans from those novels.
> >
> > Reach doesn’t take away any of the SIIs from FS or FoR. Reach introduces more SIIIs, which were introduced in GoO.
> >
> > And as far I understand things, the easy way would have been to adapt either FS or FoR into a game. Bungie did things the hard way, not the inferred easy way.
>
> They can’t go together. Bungie changed the dates, making it last a month. In the book, the Covenant came in full force, no “scourt party” BS, and crushed Reach in a day. Also, the books and Reach don’t line up, because then the Spartans and all of the UNSC look dumb. No-one noticed that the Covenant were on Reach for a month? The Spartan IIs didn’t notice? Keyes and the SIIs were going on a mission to capture a Covenant ship while Reach was getting glassed for a month?
>
> Keyes and everyone were shocked in the book to find out that the Covenant were on Reach, because the Covenant weren’t on Reach prior to invasion on August 30th, 2552. Halsey didn’t know. Chief and the SIIs didn’t know, and they’d the first to know!
>
> The books and games don’t line up.

They re-released the novels and wouldn’t you now it, the dates are messed up even more. Don’t forget the novel FoR said this was the first time they’d ever seen Elites. We know that is a damn dirty ape lie :wink:

Think of it this way, the games, anime and written works have retconned the events preceding and following the events written about in the novel FoR. So as far was actual retconns created by Reach, there are maybe 2. Compared to the novel directly, a crap load. Compared to established lore, 2 maybe 4 retconns have occurred.

A depiction of a planet’s demise was simply too ambitious for Bungie, to live up to such a claim.

> A depiction of a planet’s demise was simply too ambitious for Bungie, to live up to such a claim.

It could have been done. I just truly think Bungie didn’t really try with the story. I believe that they didn’t care. They wanted to be done with Halo, and they wanted to work mostly on multiplayer.

The Reach Campaign was wasted potential. It’s sad. It could have been done.

> A depiction of a planet’s demise was simply too ambitious for Bungie, to live up to such a claim.

I think what would have helped for a lot of people is if the we saw more of the full scale action. Like on Tip of the Spear, we could have enjoyed a full minute battle ,UNSC vs Covie style before the level actually started. When the Covenant entered orbit after the LNoS was relocated, we could have been treated at the MAC welcoming committee that caused the fleet to retreat for a day or so… Those are the missed oppourtunities that I see.

> “The Covenant is on Reach. I repeat, the Covenant is on Reach”
>
> This is the single most dull and unrealistic piece of dialogue that I have ever heard in a Halo game… Hell. In any game.

SO glad I’m not the only one that felt this way.

> > A depiction of a planet’s demise was simply too ambitious for Bungie, to live up to such a claim.
>
> I think what would have helped for a lot of people is if the we saw more of the full scale action. Like on Tip of the Spear, we could have enjoyed a full minute battle ,UNSC vs Covie style before the level actually started. When the Covenant entered orbit after the LNoS was relocated, we could have been treated at the MAC welcoming committee that caused the fleet to retreat for a day or so… Those are the missed oppourtunities that I see.

It’s all wasted potential, which could have been done so it’s not a fantasy or ‘complaining or ungreatful’ thing. >:(

> > > A depiction of a planet’s demise was simply too ambitious for Bungie, to live up to such a claim.
> >
> > I think what would have helped for a lot of people is if the we saw more of the full scale action. Like on Tip of the Spear, we could have enjoyed a full minute battle ,UNSC vs Covie style before the level actually started. When the Covenant entered orbit after the LNoS was relocated, we could have been treated at the MAC welcoming committee that caused the fleet to retreat for a day or so… Those are the missed oppourtunities that I see.
>
> It’s all wasted potential, which could have been done so it’s not a fantasy or ‘complaining or ungreatful’ thing. >:(

Also dont forget its much easier to write a huge battle then it is to make it for a game. There was probably so much they wanted to add but time was against them.

> > > A depiction of a planet’s demise was simply too ambitious for Bungie, to live up to such a claim.
> >
> > I think what would have helped for a lot of people is if the we saw more of the full scale action. Like on Tip of the Spear, we could have enjoyed a full minute battle ,UNSC vs Covie style before the level actually started. When the Covenant entered orbit after the LNoS was relocated, we could have been treated at the MAC welcoming committee that caused the fleet to retreat for a day or so… Those are the missed oppourtunities that I see.
>
> It’s all wasted potential, which could have been done so it’s not a fantasy or ‘complaining or ungreatful’ thing. >:(

If anything, it leaves me wanting more in a good way. It is one of those, if I had to be grilled enough for a complaint, that is maybe an observation not so much a complaint.

However, 1 complaint is how the engine does stutter during the cutscenes. Not a big fan of the choppy moments during gameplay, but the cutscenes?