The Competitive Disease (My Casual POV)

Hey all, I am a casual player with a casual point of view. Don’t believe me? Look at my stats (Note to Forum Ninjas: I am allowing players to point out my stats [and my stats only] in this thread). Are you done looking? Sheesh, I’m a casual, but you take forever to look at stats.

Anyway, as I was saying, I am a casual. I play Halo, but winning and kd do not alter my playstyle. It is really fun. But every once in a while I run into a Competitive player (a player who does not play for fun). I never get to have fun in matches with competitive players, because they are so set on winning. The thing that urks me the most about competitive players though is their trying to change Halo for the better.
I mean seriously, if it weren’t for them, I’d still be able to use Al effectively. Now, AL, while still broken, is less broken! (The audacity!)

I have found out that competitiveness is a disease. I have also found out the signs that go with competitiveness (also know as casualaphobia). I have listed them below, feel free to see if you have the symptoms.

1. They enjoy Halo for its core gameplay. They do not need fancy shmancy gizmos and barbie doll clothes to make them happy. What a bunch of losers right?

2. They try to get broken and pointless game mechanics removed. Who do they think they are? Those were added into the game for a reason (probably to annoy them).

3. They are good at Halo. I mean seriously, they must love the series to be really good at it right? (They’re a bunch of weirdos.)

4. They are usually kind. We casuals usually say they aren’t by metioning MLG wannabes and under-age children, but at their core, 90% of competitive players are kind.

5. This one is my favorite symptom. They do not realize they cannot change anything. Why can they not change anything? Because we, the casuals, are the majority (unfortunately) and therefore control the gamemakers. If we wanted Halo 4 to be an Angry birds/Sonic mash up, you’d better believe it would be an Angry birds/Sonic mash up. (We don’t do that though, what we do do is tell the gamemakers that we are “true” Halo fans that will blindly follow them through anything [including an Anrgy birds/ Sonic mash up])

The funny thing is, the game developers do not realize we would buy a Halo game with core Halo gameplay.

So do you have the disease (reply below).

P.S. I won’t lie, I am looking forward to playing Halo 4, and have the limited edition fully paid off and preordered (for real).

Everyone who plays has fun with the game. Why would someone play a game that they don’t enjoy?

Competitive players’ idea of fun is just different than people who don’t want to take the game as seriously. They enjoy playing a game where they are matched with players of their own skill level so that they can have a close, challenging match.

Just because people like winning and competitiveness doesn’t mean that it’s not fun to them.

lol, I remember sarcastic posts like this on Bnet all the time. Too bad the mods dont allow posts like these anymore they were entertaining. I still remember the FEAST vs BTB thread in the H3 forums haha.

I can sum it all up for you from my (competitive) POV:

Halo is a game, video game. Games are made for entertainment and having fun playing. Winning is more fun than losing. if you prefer to be a loser, don’t make it your mission to infect others with your selfish love of loss, and go play a casual game like UNO or Bejeweled. We arent saying you have to spend hours and hours playing the game, but if you are getting online to play casually, dont step foot in the (competitive) Playlist. Thank you.

> lol, I remember sarcastic posts like this on Bnet all the time. Too bad the mods dont allow posts like these anymore they were entertaining. I still remember the FEAST vs BTB thread in the H3 forums haha.

I was worried they would lock this (and they did for a minute too). They must have realized I was not trying to insult anybody, but rather shed light on a subject.

I think you may care about the game too much to be considered casual by your own standards, considering you thought it important enough to make a thread, and share your thoughts about some of your own sub-optimal matchmaking experiences.

Also, Is all this segregation really needed? leave the labels in the school yard, it doesn’t help the flame wars.

I didn’t actually look at the OP’s stats until about halfway through the post when I finally realized it was sarcastic.

Well played.

> lol, I remember sarcastic posts like this on Bnet all the time. Too bad the mods dont allow posts like these anymore they were entertaining. I still remember the FEAST vs BTB thread in the H3 forums haha.

Feast vs BTB?

Off topic: Watching Aliens now. I forgot how much I love Sigourney Weaver.

> > lol, I remember sarcastic posts like this on Bnet all the time. Too bad the mods dont allow posts like these anymore they were entertaining. I still remember the FEAST vs BTB thread in the H3 forums haha.
>
> I was worried they would lock this (and they did for a minute too). They must have realized I was not trying to insult anybody, but rather shed light on a subject. Also, the amount of people without the ability to read sarcasm says one of two things. A. Very few people can notice sarcasm. B. There are people on this forum who are obstinate and partially ignorant. I don’t come on here enough to tell.

I think its mostly people not reading the whole post and just responding to the title lol.

> > > lol, I remember sarcastic posts like this on Bnet all the time. Too bad the mods dont allow posts like these anymore they were entertaining. I still remember the FEAST vs BTB thread in the H3 forums haha.
> >
> > I was worried they would lock this (and they did for a minute too). They must have realized I was not trying to insult anybody, but rather shed light on a subject. Also, the amount of people without the ability to read sarcasm says one of two things. A. Very few people can notice sarcasm. B. There are people on this forum who are obstinate and partially ignorant. I don’t come on here enough to tell.
>
> I think its mostly people not reading the whole post and just responding to the title lol.

Actually, that happens alot too.

> Because we, the casuals, are the majority (unfortunately) and therefore control the gamemakers.

Now I don’t condone Competitive players being idiots claiming they know how to fix things but you are being equally ignorant with this. Yes, you are correct, the casuals are the majority but that in no way will EVER mean that we can control the outcome of a game.

If you really believe that then you’ve got a lot of research to do.

> I didn’t actually look at the OP’s stats until about halfway through the post when I finally realized it was sarcastic.
>
> Well played.
>
> > lol, I remember sarcastic posts like this on Bnet all the time. Too bad the mods dont allow posts like these anymore they were entertaining. I still remember the FEAST vs BTB thread in the H3 forums haha.
>
> Feast vs BTB?

Whatever thread where that FEA5T kid said he was the best BTB player/BTB took more skill than MLG or something and where he was getting trolled by the whole community. It was like a 100+ page thread, Cant remember the exact thread title…

> I can sum it all up for you from my (competitive) POV:
>
> Halo is a game, video game. Games are made for entertainment and having fun playing. Winning is more fun than losing. if you prefer to be a loser, don’t make it your mission to infect others with your selfish love of loss, and go play a casual game like UNO or Bejeweled. We arent saying you have to spend hours and hours playing the game, but if you are getting online to play casually, dont step foot in the (competitive) Playlist. Thank you.

This is coming from a KSI member…the most casual clan in halo that lets anyone join…seriously…what happened?

This is my point of view…Shut up with this stupid debate already. Im both casual and competitive. Competitiveness isnt a disease, its human nature!

There is nothing wrong with being both, a real gamer understands this. There is no need for separation, all gamers need to be treated the same. Its all opinionated crap that noones going to win in the end.

I’m sorry, but I think your post broke my computer’s sarcasm meter

I play for fun.*

*My fun is just winning.

> > I didn’t actually look at the OP’s stats until about halfway through the post when I finally realized it was sarcastic.
> >
> > Well played.
> >
> > > lol, I remember sarcastic posts like this on Bnet all the time. Too bad the mods dont allow posts like these anymore they were entertaining. I still remember the FEAST vs BTB thread in the H3 forums haha.
> >
> > Feast vs BTB?
>
> Whatever thread where that FEA5T kid said he was the best BTB player/BTB took more skill than MLG or something and where he was getting trolled by the whole community. It was like a 100+ page thread, Cant remember the exact thread title…

This is the only one I could find.On page 3 killa zip (alt of fea5t) drops his own name.

If you cant tell this is sarcasm (about half the posters in this thread) you clearly did not read the entirety of the post.

Epic OP post is epic!

I hate competitive players for giving logical reasoning as to why new features will positively or negatively affect gameplay. It’s almost as bad as people believing in evolution because of this crazy thing called evidence.

Remake Halo 2.

Haha, funny post, irony and sarcasm are often lost on the net but here it seems like OP knows how to use them and get it right too. Great post OP :slight_smile:
OP is mostly right even, casuals rule gaming these days and will do until we get some new consoles that are bought only by core/hardcore players, the 360 is doomed to be “Kinect fun land”. :confused:
I would love to see a Halo where casual fun is possible (action sack), competitive in laid back terms (social slayer) and truly competitive when you really want to play with competitive players/tryhards (ranked). Sadly those days seems to have passed :confused: