The Competitive Community Saw THIS comming...

Well… only 3 months into launch and now the average pop on H4 is 45,000 people online. Why is it that games like COD and Black Ops 2 by far surpass Halo 4? I dont really think its because Call of Duty is a better game in general than Halo. Lets just do some comparisons here…

Halo 4 :

  • No competitive elements… lack of ranking system
  • No clan based systems
  • Catered to casuals only

Call of Duty:

-Competitive elements (Visible ranking system)

  • Clan based support
  • Catered to casuals + competitive communities

It’s a no brainer… Halo 4 is a solid game, it really is. But it’s number one problem is that there is no competitive elements what so ever. I don’t understand 343… why couldn’t they just add a visible 1-50 ranking system? Why couldn’t you add a clan based system? WHY do you have to neglect the competitive community and only focus your attention to the casuals? Theres one big difference between a casual and a competitive player… and that is after two weeks the competitive players won’t trade in their copy or move to a different game. Its not rocket science why Halo 2… and Halo 3 were MUCH more successful than Reach and Halo 4.

It is possible to give both the casuals and competitive players what they want. If 343 doesn’t act soon… the franchise is gone. MLG doesn’t even support Halo anymore. Open your freaking eyes 343 and start doing something… This is what I think you #&$*#'s should do.

  • Bring back the Visible 1-50 Ranking System (Halo 2)
  • Bring back Clan support from Halo 2
  • Add a community filtered custom games search
  • Bring back voice masking to encourage players to use their headsets
  • Split matchmaking into two categories… 1) For Casual Social Playlists and 2) Ranked Playlists
  • Disable xbox chat in ranked playlists to encourage team speak

One thing that I sincerely miss from Halo 2 and Halo 3 is the community’s social aspects to the game. I dont understand every xbox 360 console shipped today includes a mic and back in the day the original xbox console didnt come with a mic. Why aren’t people using their mics anymore? I remember joining big team battle back in Halo 2 and almost everyone was talking and playing. The majority of people back in the day had headsets and were using them… its a shame. Halo 2 had a sense of community. What do you guys think? What are your opinions… do you agree with my views?

Here’s my view: acting as if there are two and only two distinct “communities” in Halo is stupid. Also, calling them communities is stupid. The people who are unaware of the concept of communities in Halo outnumbers the people who are aware by such a large margin that the “communities” are insignificant to 343’s bottom line, and to the game at large. This is “us vs. them” tribalism and it’s childish and a waste of forum space.

I don’t think its a waste of forum space… if we don’t voice our concerns then the game will never get any better.

Ugh can we stop this constant bickering and complaining already? This isn’t even something that can be fixed right now or in the near future. What’s the point? SO WHAT if the almighty competitive “community” saw this coming? How does that help?

What are you talking about… its only 3 months into LAUNCH. These features can easily be integrated with a Title Update… and what are we suppose to do? just sit tight and not say a word? smh

RottenCarnival, you’re a smart person and I like you. And yes it is a waste of forum space. Self-styled “competitives” (those who think there’s a competitive community) need to realize that they are not nearly the most important demographic in Halo’s player base. Their opinions barely matter and it gets really annoying when they act like they do, or that they’re the “pioneers” of the series or those fighting some kind of “last stand” for the quality of the game.

> This is what I think you #&$*#'s should do.

Can we please avoid things like this in the interest of having a maximally-civil discussion? :\

> - Bring back Clan support from Halo 2

I started on the series with Halo 3, so I’m not familiar with the clan system. How’d it work?

My own opinion on the subject is that it’d be cool if 343i tried to appeal to multiple kinds of communities, including clans. I once had the idea of being able to have more general Groups of a (practically-)unlimited size. You can join a Group for a clan or website, and then use the Active Roster to search for open lobbies belonging to other members of the Group. It’d help to bring communities closer together and increase the popularity of Custom Games.

> - Bring back voice masking to encourage players to use their headsets

I’m not sure that that’d have much of an effect.

I think the decline in voice chat has more to do with the increasing experience (and accompanying cynicism) of the Xbox LIVE community, and with the introduction of Party Chat. People became more aware of trash-talkers, mic spammers, “squeakers”, and other annoyances. Party Chat gives everyone the option to choose between a public chat filled with potentially-annoying people, and a private chat between friends (whether or not you’re playing with them), and it’s understandable that many people choose the latter option – to the detriment of the public chat experience, but to the benefit of their own experience.

> - Split matchmaking into two categories… 1) For Casual Social Playlists and 2) Ranked Playlists
> - Disable xbox chat in ranked playlists to encourage team speak

There are innumerably many workarounds that people would use even in ranked playlists:

a. In-game audio settings
b. Manually mute everyone
c. Mute the headset
d. Mute the TV and unplug the headset

There’s no way to force communication of any kind between people, let alone positive and useful communication. Removing Party Chat won’t force people to communicate; it’ll just keep them from communicating with their friends, leaving them annoyed at the game. :\

> Here’s my view: acting as if there are two and only two distinct “communities” in Halo is stupid. Also, calling them communities is stupid. The people who are unaware of the concept of communities in Halo outnumbers the people who are aware by such a large margin that the “communities” are insignificant to 343’s bottom line, and to the game at large. This is “us vs. them” tribalism and it’s childish and a waste of forum space.

You’re right that there are multiple communities and subcultures within the Halo population. You’re right that an “us-versus-them” attitude can be problematic.

However, there is some value in dividing the Halo population into “competitives” and “non-competitives”, with the former group consisting of people that share a general mindset and range of opinions on gameplay.

In any case, the “us-versus-them” aspects in the OP’s post aren’t so pronounced as to overshadow the rest of their post, so <mark>let’s not derail the topic with a “meta” debate like this.</mark> Perhaps you could provide your opinion on their suggestions?

Lucas… I wasn’t trying to emphasize that the competitive players were “pioneers” or better than the “casuals”… What i’m trying to say is that its possible to give everybody what they want. I dont understand why there couldn’t be a list of ranked and social playlists? Its clear that Halo 4 has many issues when 3 months into launch the population is 45 k.

And DavidJCobb, why should we have to resort to third party clan based systems? They were a huge success back in Halo 2. There were absolutely no flaws… I don’t understand why they decided to take it out. Frankly having an in-game clan system + matchmaking is much easier than having to sign up on these third party websites and arranging matches with other clans. Plus if it was integrated in-game a lot more people would join clans.

> And DavidJCobb, why should we have to resort to third party clan based systems? They were a huge success back in Halo 2. There were absolutely no flaws… I don’t understand why they decided to take it out. Frankly having an in-game clan system + matchmaking is much easier than having to sign up on these third party websites and arranging matches with other clans. Plus if it was integrated in-game a lot more people would join clans.

I was sort of agreeing with you, actually. :\

I think we should have something that makes it easier for clans and for other kinds of communities to play with each other in-game, without having to coordinate through websites. The game’s Active Roster already allows you to see friends in-game; I think it could be modified and leveraged to help clan members and community members connect with each other. I’d like to see it done so that one could hop into Halo 4 one day, open the Roster, and search for Matchmaking and Custom lobbies being held by one’s clanmates/community-mates/wherever-mates.

Lets just hope 343 changes gears really quickly before everybody moves on to play Destiny… and then goodbye Halo!

There is a community split but it goes as halo4 fans and past halo fans. They really did ditch older fans to be honest and I should know this as all my friends(like 10 people gave up on 4 or didn’t buy it because they hated the way it played) so this pretty much leaves us to lose halo as a reason to own an Xbox.

I’ve always felt that CoD was more popular because it’s so much easier.

Camp with some form of rapid fire weapon, get ridiculous killstreaks, get even more kills with killstreaks and continue to camp. That sums up about every experience I’ve had on CoD.

I thought Halo 4 got dropped because Microsoft or something had a clause that prevented its representation on the circuit? Mind you, I only heard that in a Ninja vlog and pretty much never heard it again.

Why there was a lack of Ranked and Social playlists is beyond me. It may split up the population, but I’d rather have a longer search time than have a stupid game of BTB where a player and their 3 guests are playing dodgems with flipping Warthogs trying to run everyone over?

I could care less about the whole MIC thing. I’m always in a party with my friends playing Halo so technically we are team chatting.

But yeah, my biggest annoyance is that we were expected to just like the playlists and gametypes we were given, instead of allowing us to chose between a social or more competitive environment from the get go.

Still, can only learn from your mistakes.

In-game CSR would bring in a ton of players.

Nah, none of those matter. Most people don’t care about “competitive/Ranking BS” The reason is simple. Halo 4 is just plain poorly designed. The gameplay systems and mechanics themselves are so watered down and full of handicaps that it feels like they strapped on 10 training wheels to the game. There’s no sense of challenge or accomplishment to the combat. Plus, the botched lag comp and lack of maps didn’t help.

All the people who say that the competitive comm. aren’t important dont relize that the reason past halos were great is because of the competitivness of past halos. There is little to none unless your playing your friends for top dog.

> All the people who say that the competitive comm. aren’t important dont relize that the reason past halos were great is because of the competitivness of past halos. There is little to none unless your playing your friends for top dog.

maybe thats why it was great for YOU…opinions man…

> Well… only 3 months into launch and now the average pop on H4 is 45,000 people online. Why is it that games like COD and Black Ops 2 by far surpass Halo 4? I dont really think its because Call of Duty is a better game in general than Halo. Lets just do some comparisons here…
>
>
> Halo 4 :
>
> - No competitive elements… lack of ranking system
> - No clan based systems
> - Catered to casuals only
>
> Call of Duty:
>
> -Competitive elements (Visible ranking system)
> - Clan based support
> - Catered to casuals + competitive communities
>
>
> It’s a no brainer… Halo 4 is a solid game, it really is. But it’s number one problem is that there is no competitive elements what so ever. I don’t understand 343… why couldn’t they just add a visible 1-50 ranking system? Why couldn’t you add a clan based system? WHY do you have to neglect the competitive community and only focus your attention to the casuals? Theres one big difference between a casual and a competitive player… and that is after two weeks the competitive players won’t trade in their copy or move to a different game. Its not rocket science why Halo 2… and Halo 3 were MUCH more successful than Reach and Halo 4.
>
> It is possible to give both the casuals and competitive players what they want. If 343 doesn’t act soon… the franchise is gone. MLG doesn’t even support Halo anymore. Open your freaking eyes 343 and start doing something… This is what I think you #&$*#'s should do.
>
>
> - Bring back the Visible 1-50 Ranking System (Halo 2)
> - Bring back Clan support from Halo 2
> - Add a community filtered custom games search
> - Bring back voice masking to encourage players to use their headsets
> - Split matchmaking into two categories… 1) For Casual Social Playlists and 2) Ranked Playlists
> - Disable xbox chat in ranked playlists to encourage team speak
>
>
> One thing that I sincerely miss from Halo 2 and Halo 3 is the community’s social aspects to the game. I dont understand every xbox 360 console shipped today includes a mic and back in the day the original xbox console didnt come with a mic. Why aren’t people using their mics anymore? I remember joining big team battle back in Halo 2 and almost everyone was talking and playing. The majority of people back in the day had headsets and were using them… its a shame. Halo 2 had a sense of community. What do you guys think? What are your opinions… do you agree with my views?

You’re a terrible troll. A visable ranking system doesnt make the game competitive. Ive seen the other threads where you’re complaining about CSR not being visable and you are clearly just butthurt about it. Population also has nothing to do with competitively.

You have quite a lack of knowledge and express nothing but opinions that you claim to be fact. In the future please refrain from embarrassing yourself any farther by posting nonsense such as this. Just as a side note i’d like to add that everyone on this forum knows you’re full of it by saying cod is more competitive due to the fact that Cod is the most casual FPS on the market. Case and Point, it comes out for every console including the wii. The wii being the console thats single marketing audience is Family oriented.