The Classic Pistol is Flawed

as many of you well know, the pistol in the classic playlist is flawed. this is because of, once again, a poor implementation of bloom.

in the classic playlist, to play optimally you should pace your shots. the problem, however, is that if you pace your shots whilst your opponent does not, he can, often times, luck out and get that 3 shot spam kill on you. the CEA classic pistol is actually more flawed / problematic than the DMR in default reach EVER WAS. this is because the kill time of the CEA pistol is a LOT faster, so you dont have as much time to react to someone spamming his shots with said weapon.

this inconsistency in shooting helps absolutely no one. not one single person in the ENTIRE WORLD actually benefits from there being bloom on the CEA pistol. this is not an opinion, please dont make the mistake of thinking this. this is fact. i’d love to hear an example of someone who benefits from being able to shoot better and lose against someone who shoots worse, but this example will never come because such an example does not exist.

so please, 343, remove the bloom from the CEA classic playlist’s pistol. it has no place in the game. this is not how it functioned in halo 1, and its not how it should function in ANY halo game. the inconsistency that it adds to the game is tremendous.

remember back to the initial purposes of bloom, to begin with, as stated by shishka.
1.) the goal of bloom was to enforce a cadence
2.) shooting to cadence is really only a valid tactic at range (fail, see #1)
3.) the closer you get to your opponent, the less cadence applies (more fail the closer 2 people are together)
4.) players both casual and competitive can attest to how spamming the trigger actually becomes the more reliable option here.
5.) So, ultimately while the goal was to make the weapons feel more sophisticated and add a layer of skill required to use them, the net result has been that medium range weapons such as the DMR feel unreliable at their intended range.
6.) and trigger spam has not been discouraged. (but, as implied, it was meant to be)

bloom, when poorly implemented as it is in default reach on the DMR, and also with the CEA classic pistol, doesnt add anything to the game. it doesnt help anyone. it doesnt benefit anyone. all it does is let people who shoot worse win against people who shoot properly, some of the time.

fix it.

Agreed.

Though I kind of get the feeling after HCEA release that they don’t even have the ability to change the RoF or spread on the pistol, thereby making it impossible to properly emulate CE within Reach’s MP.

I wish 343 would be a bit more public about what they can and cannot change, as opposed to having to dig around various random interviews across gaming sites.

> Agreed.
>
> Though I kind of get the feeling after HCEA release that they don’t even have the ability to change the RoF or spread on the pistol, thereby making it impossible to properly emulate CE within Reach’s MP.
>
> I wish 343 would be a bit more public about what they can and cannot change, as opposed to having to dig around various random interviews across gaming sites.

they do have the ability to tweak the rate of fire on the pistol. they just need to make their special gametype in order to do so.

spread, on the other hand, i dont think they can change. this being said, i’d rather have 0 bloom and what tiny bit of random spread there is over whatever fail amount of bloom they are using.

Pistol bloom is fine, it makes you pace your shots. It was in CE and CE PC so learn to play and stop complaining.

> Pistol bloom is fine, it makes you pace your shots. It was in CE and CE PC so learn to play and stop complaining.

I’m sorry, but everyone who’s played CE on the xbox and doesn’t have a faulty memory are just laughing at you atm.

The pistol in CEA’s playlists is BS. Meaning there’s less pressure on 343 to do anything. Plus 343 (Frankie specifically) have already said that they’re not listening to the forums when it comes to game mechanic changes… so…

This is a prime example of the pistol’s BS. Don’t want to download the clip? I’ll explain what happens. I’m on “waterfall balcony” shooting someone at “teleporter overlook” with the pistol. So that’s like, medium range. Out of 8 bullets I only land 3 body shots thanks to the pistol’s spread and/or bloom even though my aim was pretty dead on.

The DMR feels way more consistent the this pistol does -_-

Edited by the moderator. Please refrain from flaming.

> > Pistol bloom is fine, it makes you pace your shots. It was in CE and CE PC so learn to play and stop complaining.
>
> I’m sorry, but everyone who’s played CE on the xbox and doesn’t have a faulty memory are just laughing at you atm.
>
> The pistol in CEA’s playlists is BS. Meaning there’s less pressure on 343 to do anything. Plus 343 (Frankie specifically) have already said that they’re not listening to the forums when it comes to game mechanic changes… so…
>
> This is a prime example of the pistol’s BS. Don’t want to download the clip? I’ll explain what happens. I’m on “waterfall balcony” shooting someone at “teleporter overlook” with the pistol. So that’s like, medium range. Out of 8 bullets I only land 3 body shots thanks to the pistol’s spread and/or bloom even though my aim was pretty dead on.
>
> The DMR feels way more consistent the this pistol does -_-
>
> Edited by a moderator.

so, you are blaming poor aiming on bloom?

the bloom on the magnum is fine, it is only an issue when you are holding down the trigger which causes the magnum to fire at a faster rate with increased bloom, when pulling the trigger yourself the bloom doesn’t really effect anything and instead the fault lies with the player and not the mechanic.

> Pistol bloom is fine, it makes you pace your shots. It was in CE and CE PC so learn to play and stop complaining.

Lol.

Go HCEA campagign and hold the trigger in a wall, is ther bloom?

The answer is a big NO.

> the bloom on the magnum is fine, it is only an issue when you are holding down the trigger which causes the magnum to fire at a faster rate with increased bloom, when pulling the trigger yourself the bloom doesn’t really effect anything and instead the fault lies with the player and not the mechanic.

> Edited by a moderator.

I mean, why the bloom? Is the spread not enough of a handicap?

> > the bloom on the magnum is fine, it is only an issue when you are holding down the trigger which causes the magnum to fire at a faster rate with increased bloom, when pulling the trigger yourself the bloom doesn’t really effect anything and instead the fault lies with the player and not the mechanic.
>
>
>
> > Edited by a moderator.
>
> .

don’t hold down the trigger then…

and yes, there was bloom in CE auto fire, i could never hit -Yoink- when using it but when i pulled by hand it was fine.

> > > the bloom on the magnum is fine, it is only an issue when you are holding down the trigger which causes the magnum to fire at a faster rate with increased bloom, when pulling the trigger yourself the bloom doesn’t really effect anything and instead the fault lies with the player and not the mechanic.
> >
> >
> >
> > > the majority of Reachtards don’t bother to question anything and just go “herp, derp! It’s fine!”
> >
> > .
>
> don’t hold down the trigger then…
>
> and yes, there was bloom in CE auto fire, i could never hit Yoink! when using it but when i pulled by hand it was fine.

> Edited by a moderator.

Pleas, use some common sense. No one holds the trigger down. No one. Bloom and spread are still prominent regardless of how you fire.

> > > > the bloom on the magnum is fine, it is only an issue when you are holding down the trigger which causes the magnum to fire at a faster rate with increased bloom, when pulling the trigger yourself the bloom doesn’t really effect anything and instead the fault lies with the player and not the mechanic.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > the majority of Reachtards don’t bother to question anything and just go “herp, derp! It’s fine!”
> > >
> > > .
> >
> > don’t hold down the trigger then…
> >
> > and yes, there was bloom in CE auto fire, i could never hit Yoink! when using it but when i pulled by hand it was fine.
>
>
>
>
> Pleas, use some common sense. No one holds the trigger down. No one. Bloom and spread are still prominent regardless of how you fire.

then explain to me how bloom doesn’t seem to be effecting my pistol when i don’t hold down the trigger?

the RoF in the video is the same as when some one is holding down the trigger, i’ve gone through and tested this and it seems that holding down the trigger has a faster rate of fire then firing manually.

> > > > the bloom on the magnum is fine, it is only an issue when you are holding down the trigger which causes the magnum to fire at a faster rate with increased bloom, when pulling the trigger yourself the bloom doesn’t really effect anything and instead the fault lies with the player and not the mechanic.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > the majority of Reachtards don’t bother to question anything and just go “herp, derp! It’s fine!”
> > >
> > > .
> >
> > don’t hold down the trigger then…
> >
> > and yes, there was bloom in CE auto fire, i could never hit Yoink! when using it but when i pulled by hand it was fine.
>
>
>
>
> Pleas, use some common sense. No one holds the trigger down. No one. Bloom and spread are still prominent regardless of how you fire.

This is true, and it sucks, and I NEVER thought i’d say this, but I enjoy 85% bloom DMR more than CEA MM pistol… it physically hurts to say, but it’s true.

1.) when you pulse fired the pistol in CE there was only a TINY bit of spread. there was NO BLOOM. you could pulse fire with a modded controller and see the same spread pattern as if you pulse fired much much slower.
2.) this isnt an ‘opinion’ thread. this is facts bro. im telling you the pistol in CEA is flawed in the classic playlist not because i THINK it is, but instead because i KNOW it is. its nice that you think its ‘fine’ but ‘fine’ isnt good enough, to be quite frank. we want the best possible version of the pistol because it can be easily achieved and they can actually change it now.

its factually flawed because:

A.) you are supposed to pace your shots (shooting optimally)

and

B.) someone who is shooting as fast as possible can beat you if you are doing ‘A’, some of the time.

because of these 2 FACTS the pistol is INHERENTLY FLAWED.

fear not, because it CAN be fixed quite simply. just remove the bloom that wasnt actually there in the first place! in doing so, the inconsistency that bloom tacks on to the CEA classic pistol will be completely, and totally expunged.

i’d also like to see a rate of fire cap to have a 1.35 second kill time AT THE LEAST. i think 1.5 would be perfect, but tweaking the kill time is debatable. its a matter of preference, really.

inconsistency over inconsistency, on the other hand, is not a matter of preference, unless your preference is actually to punish people who shoot better by letting people who shoot worse kill them ~some~ of the time due to bloom + spam.

both you and i are both fully capable of drawing the blatantly obvious conclusion that someone who shoots BETTER should beat someone who shoots TERRIBLY not ‘some of the time’, not ‘most of the time’, but ALL OF THE TIME. any less than 100%, in this case, just adds in % ‘terrible’. lets keep %‘terrible’ at 0, please.

questions for you:

1.) who, if anyone, benefits from this inconsistency?
2.) how do they benefit?
3.) why keep inconsistency in the game when it can be removed with ease?

The spread is worse than you think. I did this test here on lan. You can miss shots in red reticle range when firing as slow as possible!!! Watch the last part of the test. Also scope reduces spread, or so it seems. When I get minutes I will render this.Random spread test

The pistol in Halo: CE was always flawed. It was the only weapon people could regularly rely on that put them on even ground with better players. Bringing it back and implementing it into a future game where you have a larger audience that love abusing broken/OP stuff in games is a bad idea as it starts alienating players who try to use other weapons and starts frustrating them even if they were using it themselves.

As for bloom, completely removing it will just make already OP weapons even stronger. What they need to do is fix bloom, not remove it. The point of bloom is to encourage people to be patient and pace their shots so that they can earn their kills rather then just pulling the trigger happily and hoping your headshot lands before theirs (if they’re not using a headshot weapon then you pull the trigger faster knowing you’ll win regardless).
They should look into making larger bloom, or expanding the bloom faster so that players who pull the trigger fast won’t land their hits. You can even go further and change it so that a headshot can only be achieved once the bloom has fully reset. Therefor a player who paces their shots will outplay someone who spams since the spammer will never achieve their headshot.

Of course it’s flawed - even if it was bloomless it still suffers from the same random spread that has plagued the previous iteration of Reach’s Magnum.

It’s a painfully inconsistent weapon.

i couldn’t agree with you more OP. when i saw that the CE pistol had bloom i was speechless. such a buzzkill. change it asap i want CE feeling multiplayer not some awkward reach/CE mixture.

> > > > > the bloom on the magnum is fine, it is only an issue when you are holding down the trigger which causes the magnum to fire at a faster rate with increased bloom, when pulling the trigger yourself the bloom doesn’t really effect anything and instead the fault lies with the player and not the mechanic.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > the majority of Reachtards don’t bother to question anything and just go “herp, derp! It’s fine!”
> > > >
> > > > .
> > >
> > > don’t hold down the trigger then…
> > >
> > > and yes, there was bloom in CE auto fire, i could never hit Yoink! when using it but when i pulled by hand it was fine.
> >
> >
> >
> > > Edited by a moderator.
> >
> > Pleas, use some common sense. No one holds the trigger down. No one. Bloom and spread are still prominent regardless of how you fire.
>
> then explain to me how bloom doesn’t seem to be effecting my pistol when i don’t hold down the trigger?
>
> the RoF in the video is the same as when some one is holding down the trigger, i’ve gone through and tested this and it seems that holding down the trigger has a faster rate of fire then firing manually.

your such a troll Haunted Army, the pistol has an immense amount of randomness to it (i.e. bloom), dont believe me? watch this video CE:A pistol resembles Method 1, where as traditional H1 had little to no bullet spread at all (method 2&3).

The inability of the Anniversary pistol to cross map, its inconsistency, smaller clip size, expanding reticule, and smaller scope all detract from that classic experience any true Halo 1 Combat Evolved player can attest to.

You obviously have not played CE.