The Chopper Spam. Whats your strategy?

Hey everyone. Im a , or i was a diamond 5 in domination, and a diamond 4 in Standard (im not calling it deathmatch, you’ll know why if you played halo wars 1. ) What was your playlist rank? Tell me in the comments below(: along with your strategy you use tp achieve.

My strategy is the Chopper Rush / Boom strategy I came up with the 2nd day of the beta. I didnt want to speak on this during the beta because then we’d have the 2% of players sweating already, but with an unbeatable strat, and the other 98% will either be chopper spam or quit playing after 20 matches of lossing or refusing to use choppers, sincd theirs alot more useful units now that cant be ultilized since choppers can win games in under 10 minutes, and almost everyone wanted long, epic battles of varied units, which is why everyone hated the average game time of domination.

I also say this idea as mine, because everyone was clueless on this game, including me , but i always made choppers after the first day of the beta after seeing how effective they are, being able to take on 2 starting unit groups alone in domination. Everyone at this period spammed at the least, infantry out of their base. Unless your like me who found a great strat in a new game everyones learning so you have the advantage over everyone else, please tell me so i wont make a false claim i made this strategy (which i probaby am, someone could of done this the first day but never made it known.

After the first day of the beta, I learned how overpowering Atriox is if your building choppers early. I realized your able to wipe out both enemy player’s starting units, and control the pacing of the game and the map. You’ll deny expansion bases and capture point attempts, and be significantly ahead of your opponent. A army for them would be built 5 minutes after yours.

Now, in Standard , the chopper has been even more powerful, since theirs way less units to deal with at the start, since all players start with 2 marines / grunts. As we all know, warthogs / choppers > Infantry. The only thing the unsc can do until tech 2 is make infantry. Atriox > Cutter at tech 1. Early game happens to also dictate more often who will win the match due to the significance of map control. Choppers excel in this, and can deny base expansions, halt map control from the enemy, and they collect resources, and are very cheap. By 8 minutes you can have 15+, and the unsc or atriox player (assuming he isnt going choppers) realistically wont have a army or size up the matter to rival that.

My strat usually revolves on this build order :

Warhouse, warhouse, chopper , chopper, 3x warhouse, spam choppers. Have 1 grunt squad collecting resources from the start, have your first chopper on your side of the map with the power nodes drive off enemies off the points, hunt down snipers, etc. Have him collecting supplies otherwise. The 2nd one will gather supplies or help your first chopper in early skirmishes.

Buy a 2nd base, build nothing but power extractors (3). Double pump choppers mindful of your economy with your extra base.

Once you have 8 + choppers, buy a base on their side, and attack one of the enemies. Attack the covenant first of thiers any. The unsc cant do anything. If you attack him first, the covenant can potentially build up choppers or turrets as he watches his teammate die. The covie is your main threat. If the enemy has turrets, go to the other player. If they both have turrets, go the the base your building on their side, and protect it.

Build unit production building on it, upgrade the base once. Build turrets and a shield if your at tech 2 (you’ll have great economy, when you tecn up is up to you.) If you dont manage to kill a enemy player, this is whats next . The chopper spam, actually has a plan B, it has a mid - late game setup you do early game to grant you the advantage on enemies.

You have the economy of a supply base and a power base. Now you have a descent army for early to mid tech 2 phase, and your army is being built faster than everyone, let alone the fact the enemy slowed down by making turrets, or their dead because you killed one of them. Your eco skyrockets and your army will be out before their at even a quarter of their population out on the field. Your ally will also be ahead of the enemy.

Thats my Chopper Boom / Base Rush Strategy

Whats your tactic for success? Share your ideas.

I haven’t been able counter this. Tried rabbits with all the add-ons it just wasn’t able to keep pace. It is an OP strat.

Ive tested everything for unsc, its impossible to rival choppers during the first 10 minutes. Waiting for tech 2 to get combat tech marines dosent work. Waiting for tech 2 to build anything dosent work. Marine spam dosent work. Jack rabbits wont work. All you can do is build railgun turrets and expect a game of you trapped in a corner.

Now imagine 2 Atriox’s. You’d figure "alright a cutter / atriox combo can rival this. " 2 atriox can overpower one, and the unsc cant do anything but watch his atriox die.

2 Atriox > Cutter / Atriox

2 Atriox = 2 Atriox

2 Atriox >>>>>>>> 2 Cutter. Dont even start with this match up!

Saw my first chopper spam this morning – I was ranked Platinum 5 – and wow, it was effective. Took me out without much hassle. Wish I’d thought of it.

I REALLY hope they balance this game.
The chopper rush is undeniably overpowered, and if done right you could say it is unbeatable in the game’s current state.
Put the warthog back in the main base like in halo wars 1, and take the guns off of the chopper and lock them behind an upgrade.
Just a suggestion

Easily countered with Mac/nade Marines/turrets. NEXT

PS:git gud scrub

> 2533274825333224;6:
> Easily countered with Mac/nade Marines/turrets. NEXT
>
> PS:git gud scrub

so the moment you see a chopper on the opposing team you are to stop what you are doing, spend thousands of resources on the grenade upgrades and marines, multiple turrets, and mac blasts, just so they don’t kill your base? They will still have map control with every node and every base while you’re broke, resulting in you basically being starved out while they throw units at you. At the very least they will have control of all the resources and nodes in the early game as they rotate their choppers around the map and kills all of your marines. You’d have to upgrade your jackrabbits every match if you wanted to get those early game resources unless you are covenant and did the same.
NEXT
PS: we’re trying to help this game not make it worse

I always take the two slot mini base half way up the map asap and build two barracks. Main base just filled with supplies. The barracks allow you to double pump flamers to counter marines to secure the area before moving on.

Last night an opponent turned up with choppers very early and started hitting the mini base, he only had six by that point as it was very early. As soon as I clocked it I upgraded to tech 2 and pumped out cyclops’s while using what troops I had as meat shields to protect the mini base. It was soon too much for him and he backed off with what he had left and I continued as normal.

I cant say for sure if he went with your exact strat but he was gearing up to chopper rush. Had me sweaty for a little while. I don’t think I lost a game during the whole deathmatch period other than lag outs.

Diamond 2. 20+ games of deathmatch, no losses other than DCs. Jet pack brutes were the only problem I encountered but they couldn’t rebuild as quick as me. A game against vultures got a little sweaty too but I always pulled through.

I’m plateauing at platinum 4 and 5.

Choppers vs a horde of Hellbringers, Banshees, Hunters, or Cyclops would put that strat to shame, especially if your enemies are coordinating. Maybe even throw in a MAC blast or Cleansing Beam, most of your clump horde would be dead.

I have 2-3 big bases, all with 3 generators, 3 supply pads, 1 armory, I might get more than 3 based on our position on the map, my bases are only resources so then they are disposable, because all my side bases are producing troops.

I usually run fully upgraded Marines and dispersion nozzle-researched flamers and destroy mini-bases, 1 slot captures get me a barracks, and 2 slot gives me 2 garages, then I spawn tanks for my troops to hide behind. Sometimes I set snipers to stay in garrisons in the enemy’s territory.

After they catch wind of what I’m doing, I switch gears, Cyclops, Wolverines, and Gauss Hogs, all fully upgraded by then, I usually have 2 bases, but I end up destroying at least 1 here, the first base now becomes disposable, me and me teammate work the map like a clock, he goes fully upgraded hornets and nightingales.

The enemy almost always tries to destroy my starting bases, unguarded except for turrets, we both get rid of his unit producing bases, (I say his because we rush down the first guy so he doesn’t pose a threat to us anymore.) Once we destroy all his bases, he’s probably destroyed 1, maybe 2 of our bases, but his are all undeveloped and weak, keep in mind I’m spawning units at a rally point to pincer attack his roving army, we get rid of him and his new bases, we win most of the time.

It’s not perfect, and it’s not fast, but it’s a slow process of wearing down the enemy to a giant army that can’t rebuild once it’s destroyed.

> 2533274924183412;9:
> I’m plateauing at platinum 4 and 5.
>
> Choppers vs a horde of Hellbringers, Banshees, Hunters, or Cyclops would put that strat to shame, especially if your enemies are coordinating. Maybe even throw in a MAC blast or Cleansing Beam, most of your clump horde would be dead.
>
> I have 2-3 big bases, all with 3 generators, 3 supply pads, 1 armory, I might get more than 3 based on our position on the map, my bases are only resources so then they are disposable, because all my side bases are producing troops.
>
> I usually run fully upgraded Marines and dispersion nozzle-researched flamers and destroy mini-bases, 1 slot captures get me a barracks, and 2 slot gives me 2 garages, then I spawn tanks for my troops to hide behind. Sometimes I set snipers to stay in garrisons in the enemy’s territory.
>
> After they catch wind of what I’m doing, I switch gears, Cyclops, Wolverines, and Gauss Hogs, all fully upgraded by then, I usually have 2 bases, but I end up destroying at least 1 here, the first base now becomes disposable, me and me teammate work the map like a clock, he goes fully upgraded hornets and nightingales.
>
> The enemy almost always tries to destroy my starting bases, unguarded except for turrets, we both get rid of his unit producing bases, (I say his because we rush down the first guy so he doesn’t pose a threat to us anymore.) Once we destroy all his bases, he’s probably destroyed 1, maybe 2 of our bases, but his are all undeveloped and weak, keep in mind I’m spawning units at a rally point to pincer attack his roving army, we get rid of him and his new bases, we win most of the time.
>
> It’s not perfect, and it’s not fast, but it’s a slow process of wearing down the enemy to a giant army that can’t rebuild once it’s destroyed.

i dont know if you understand. the chopper rush prevents you from getting secondary bases, and checkmates the match like 4 or 5 minutes in. You couldn’t build banshees or tanks in near enough time to counter them…

> 2533274822247305;10:
> > 2533274924183412;9:
> > I’m plateauing at platinum 4 and 5.
> >
> > Choppers vs a horde of Hellbringers, Banshees, Hunters, or Cyclops would put that strat to shame, especially if your enemies are coordinating. Maybe even throw in a MAC blast or Cleansing Beam, most of your clump horde would be dead.
> >
> > I have 2-3 big bases, all with 3 generators, 3 supply pads, 1 armory, I might get more than 3 based on our position on the map, my bases are only resources so then they are disposable, because all my side bases are producing troops.
> >
> > I usually run fully upgraded Marines and dispersion nozzle-researched flamers and destroy mini-bases, 1 slot captures get me a barracks, and 2 slot gives me 2 garages, then I spawn tanks for my troops to hide behind. Sometimes I set snipers to stay in garrisons in the enemy’s territory.
> >
> > After they catch wind of what I’m doing, I switch gears, Cyclops, Wolverines, and Gauss Hogs, all fully upgraded by then, I usually have 2 bases, but I end up destroying at least 1 here, the first base now becomes disposable, me and me teammate work the map like a clock, he goes fully upgraded hornets and nightingales.
> >
> > The enemy almost always tries to destroy my starting bases, unguarded except for turrets, we both get rid of his unit producing bases, (I say his because we rush down the first guy so he doesn’t pose a threat to us anymore.) Once we destroy all his bases, he’s probably destroyed 1, maybe 2 of our bases, but his are all undeveloped and weak, keep in mind I’m spawning units at a rally point to pincer attack his roving army, we get rid of him and his new bases, we win most of the time.
> >
> > It’s not perfect, and it’s not fast, but it’s a slow process of wearing down the enemy to a giant army that can’t rebuild once it’s destroyed.
>
>
> i dont know if you understand. the chopper rush prevents you from getting secondary bases, and checkmates the match like 4 or 5 minutes in. You couldn’t build banshees or tanks in near enough time to counter them…

Didn’t say anything about tanks.

EDIT: Didn’t say anything about using the tanks, they’re just sponges for your choppers.

Once you have any horde and a MAC blast, that team is done for, unless both teams do it then nobody had anything to worry about as long as you’re communicating with your teammate.

The only thing cutter can do is to try to rush first with snipers and Marines. Assuming the enemy dosen’t know choppers come with guns (such as my self :wink:

> 2533274974907349;12:
> The only thing cutter can do is to try to rush first with snipers and Marines. Assuming the enemy dosen’t know choppers come with guns (such as my self :wink:

Or upgrade snipers ASAP and go into enemy territory, then you know what they’re throwing at you, which will be softened up by the snipers.

> 2533274822247305;10:
> > 2533274924183412;9:
> > I’m plateauing at platinum 4 and 5.
> >
> > Choppers vs a horde of Hellbringers, Banshees, Hunters, or Cyclops would put that strat to shame, especially if your enemies are coordinating. Maybe even throw in a MAC blast or Cleansing Beam, most of your clump horde would be dead.
> >
> > I have 2-3 big bases, all with 3 generators, 3 supply pads, 1 armory, I might get more than 3 based on our position on the map, my bases are only resources so then they are disposable, because all my side bases are producing troops.
> >
> > I usually run fully upgraded Marines and dispersion nozzle-researched flamers and destroy mini-bases, 1 slot captures get me a barracks, and 2 slot gives me 2 garages, then I spawn tanks for my troops to hide behind. Sometimes I set snipers to stay in garrisons in the enemy’s territory.
> >
> > After they catch wind of what I’m doing, I switch gears, Cyclops, Wolverines, and Gauss Hogs, all fully upgraded by then, I usually have 2 bases, but I end up destroying at least 1 here, the first base now becomes disposable, me and me teammate work the map like a clock, he goes fully upgraded hornets and nightingales.
> >
> > The enemy almost always tries to destroy my starting bases, unguarded except for turrets, we both get rid of his unit producing bases, (I say his because we rush down the first guy so he doesn’t pose a threat to us anymore.) Once we destroy all his bases, he’s probably destroyed 1, maybe 2 of our bases, but his are all undeveloped and weak, keep in mind I’m spawning units at a rally point to pincer attack his roving army, we get rid of him and his new bases, we win most of the time.
> >
> > It’s not perfect, and it’s not fast, but it’s a slow process of wearing down the enemy to a giant army that can’t rebuild once it’s destroyed.
>
>
> i dont know if you understand. the chopper rush prevents you from getting secondary bases, and checkmates the match like 4 or 5 minutes in. You couldn’t build banshees or tanks in near enough time to counter them…

He doesn’t. I’ve come to the conclusion that you can’t teach high level gameplay to bad kids. Brute is OP in that map. I’ve 1v2 pacmaniak and his 2s buddy last night with choppers and brutes while the both spammed marines and flamies By the time they a decent number of snipers and guass hogs I had T2 banshees. Choppers give you early map advantage while brutes/grunts help you keep their expos down while you tech up.

> 2535441315515972;14:
> > 2533274822247305;10:
> > > 2533274924183412;9:
> > > I’m plateauing at platinum 4 and 5.
> > >
> > > Choppers vs a horde of Hellbringers, Banshees, Hunters, or Cyclops would put that strat to shame, especially if your enemies are coordinating. Maybe even throw in a MAC blast or Cleansing Beam, most of your clump horde would be dead.
> > >
> > > I have 2-3 big bases, all with 3 generators, 3 supply pads, 1 armory, I might get more than 3 based on our position on the map, my bases are only resources so then they are disposable, because all my side bases are producing troops.
> > >
> > > I usually run fully upgraded Marines and dispersion nozzle-researched flamers and destroy mini-bases, 1 slot captures get me a barracks, and 2 slot gives me 2 garages, then I spawn tanks for my troops to hide behind. Sometimes I set snipers to stay in garrisons in the enemy’s territory.
> > >
> > > After they catch wind of what I’m doing, I switch gears, Cyclops, Wolverines, and Gauss Hogs, all fully upgraded by then, I usually have 2 bases, but I end up destroying at least 1 here, the first base now becomes disposable, me and me teammate work the map like a clock, he goes fully upgraded hornets and nightingales.
> > >
> > > The enemy almost always tries to destroy my starting bases, unguarded except for turrets, we both get rid of his unit producing bases, (I say his because we rush down the first guy so he doesn’t pose a threat to us anymore.) Once we destroy all his bases, he’s probably destroyed 1, maybe 2 of our bases, but his are all undeveloped and weak, keep in mind I’m spawning units at a rally point to pincer attack his roving army, we get rid of him and his new bases, we win most of the time.
> > >
> > > It’s not perfect, and it’s not fast, but it’s a slow process of wearing down the enemy to a giant army that can’t rebuild once it’s destroyed.
> >
> >
> > i dont know if you understand. the chopper rush prevents you from getting secondary bases, and checkmates the match like 4 or 5 minutes in. You couldn’t build banshees or tanks in near enough time to counter them…
>
>
> He doesn’t. I’ve come to the conclusion that you can’t teach high level gameplay to bad kids. Brute is OP in that map. I’ve 1v2 pacmaniak and his 2s buddy last night with choppers and brutes while the both spammed marines and flamies By the time they a decent number of snipers and guass hogs I had T2 banshees. Choppers give you early map advantage while brutes/grunts help you keep their expos down while you tech up.

You beat 2 players and were the only one? Hat tip.

I’m playing Diamond 3 playlist and i never lost against any chopper “rush” or attacks. By the time he has 5-6 chopper I have 10-12 marines. If you see them choppers just spend 500 for the grenade upgrade and micro the Y in groups of 3 per chopper…

If you get to tech 2 you only need 2 cyclops to take out like 10 choppers.

Choppers s****

> 2533274825333224;6:
> Easily countered with Mac/nade Marines/turrets. NEXT
>
> PS:git gud scrub

Mac does minimal damage at its first upgrade

Nade marines still get defeated by choppers. The 500 supply and however amount of energy made to research will mean the choppers will outmumber the marines. You have to wait a while to get the resources to research. And 500 supply = 3 less marines you could of had. The choppers can easily kill your marines before you have a sizable amount. It takes as much as 5 marines with a grenade attack to kill just 1 chopper. 1 chopper is 250 supply 10 energy. 5 marines is 1080 supply. No really cost effective. And its not realistic to hope the atriox player wont be aggressive and hunt down marines. A strategy isnt significant if it relies on the enemy to not have a brain.

If you get grenades and build turrets even, your opposing atriox is more than likely at tech 2 starting to build his / her army with all the time you wasted, and the time he used wisely.

If you build turrets and / or upgrade them, you just put yourself at a severe disadvantage as now your forced to sit in your base with no units to rival the choppers around your side of the map, you cant build expos sense the choppers are roaming around, and your economy will be worse considering he has control of the majority of the building site slots and power nodes. Your economy is weaker for wasting supplies on turrets, that could of went to base building.

Turrets protect your base for a limited time. Now how will you also help your ally under siege from choppers by following this method. Now its a 1 v 2 in this scenario.

I’ve had your strategy used against me against 2 unsc’s, while my friend was glitched with the "waiting for players " bug. I ended up making them both turtle sense thwy cant leave their base, made a base next to them and made a army a few minures after they got tech 2.

Chopper spam can only be beaten by another. 2 Atriox = GG.

> 2533274924183412;13:
> > 2533274974907349;12:
> > The only thing cutter can do is to try to rush first with snipers and Marines. Assuming the enemy dosen’t know choppers come with guns (such as my self :wink:
>
>
> Or upgrade snipers ASAP and go into enemy territory, then you know what they’re throwing at you, which will be softened up by the snipers.

How can you rush marines against choppers early game if choppers > marines ? And snipers are useless against choppers lol.

> 2563432823619661;16:
> I’m playing Diamond 3 playlist and i never lost against any chopper “rush” or attacks. By the time he has 5-6 chopper I have 10-12 marines. If you see them choppers just spend 500 for the grenade upgrade and micro the Y in groups of 3 per chopper…
>
> If you get to tech 2 you only need 2 cyclops to take out like 10 choppers.
>
> Choppers s****

And if the Atriox was aggressive like he should and try to keep your marine count to a minimal?

And what if you dont see or scout his choppers? If by the choppers will kill all your marines, and as your researching grenades , he’ll easily replace his choppers and sit at your base till it dies.

> 2533274805578773;8:
> I always take the two slot mini base half way up the map asap and build two barracks. Main base just filled with supplies. The barracks allow you to double pump flamers to counter marines to secure the area before moving on.
>
> Last night an opponent turned up with choppers very early and started hitting the mini base, he only had six by that point as it was very early. As soon as I clocked it I upgraded to tech 2 and pumped out cyclops’s while using what troops I had as meat shields to protect the mini base. It was soon too much for him and he backed off with what he had left and I continued as normal.
>
> I cant say for sure if he went with your exact strat but he was gearing up to chopper rush. Had me sweaty for a little while. I don’t think I lost a game during the whole deathmatch period other than lag outs.
>
> Diamond 2. 20+ games of deathmatch, no losses other than DCs. Jet pack brutes were the only problem I encountered but they couldn’t rebuild as quick as me. A game against vultures got a little sweaty too but I always pulled through.

Lol nice! Be lucky he didnt attack your slot base until he was too late however. At the start, atriox can have 2 choppers and 2 grunts, which > 2 marines, or 4 even, if your teammate was to assist. If he did this and destroyed it, he’d just take back early lead and have you behind for losing 300 towards the slot base.

And always build snipers bro. Their way much better than flamers. Flamers need a buff in my opinion. Ive seen combat tech marines kill flamers in an even fight