The characters 343i creates are boring

I’ve been a diehard Halo player since I was a kid in 2001 with Halo CE. One of the things I loved about it were the characters Bungie created like Captain Keyes, Sergeant Johnson, Cortana, and Master Chief. Since 343i took over they’ve introduced new characters, but I find them all dull and uninteresting. Lasky is boring to me. The Didact is goofy to me. The Spartan Ops Spartans were juvenile. And now Agent Locke is boring to me.

343i should get some new writers or something because the characters they have introduced just aren’t cutting it for me.

Its just you, outside of Palmer I’ve liked 80% of the characters.

I’m liking all of 343’s Characters so far. :slight_smile:

Del Rio was pretty much meant to be hated, so there’s an exception…

they should’ve made the guy that interrogated Dr. Halsey spartan locke. he seemed cool, and it would’ve been cool, with her talking about oni trying to replace chief

> 2533274916425184;3:
> I’m liking all of 343’s Characters so far. :slight_smile:
>
> Del Rio was pretty much meant to be hated, so there’s an exception…

Except the reasoning for that was so bad I actually felt sorry for him.

Like yourself, l’ve also been a fan since CE. And while Bungie did introduce us to some interesting characters the ones that 343i have introduced are every bit as intriguing and layered IMO. I actually took a liking to Glassman and feared for him in Spartan ops. He is a complete egghead, but I literally sighed a huge relief when my man Thorne showed up to yank him back to the UNSC. So yeah, to each his own opinion, but 343i is doing a stalwart job with the lore!!

Captain Keyes was interesting? To be honest, there’s nothing interesting in him.

Master Chief is interesting? Nope. He’s kind of silent protagonist - character unintersting for purpose (so players have no problem with go into his skin).

Cortana was interesting? She was designed to be “everybody’s dream girlfriend”. She’s receiving character in Halo 4 with ramparcy going on, before that she was just… boring.

Sgt. Johnson was interesting? Yes, because he was copied from sgt. Apone (Aliens).

343i’s characters are much more 3 dimensional. Even Halsey evolved from being that kind of auntie to cold, calculated b…ch, she was needed to be to transform children to war machines. Only “boring” characters imo are:

Lasky - straight, good guy, however with much more developed character than Keyes.

Locke - but just like MC, he’s “uninteresting” on purpose.

The juvenile attitude of the Spartan 4’s is likely to play into the whole story of not been able to replace Spartans like master chief. I think when the story develops there is likely going to be disastrous consequences for humanity due to the ‘I’m a spartan I’m awsome’ attitude Spartan 4’s have.

What was interesting about Captain Keyes? With The Fall of Reach, The Flood and The Col Protocol as supplemental backstory for him, he is interesting. Yet in just Halo: Combat Evolved? He is just a generic space captain who turns into play-doh towards the end. What is interesting about Johnson in just the games? He is just ripped from every “badass” space marine stereotype from sci-fi. The Master Chief is even worse, he was just a generic space marine with the personality of a brick. I won’t say 343 has created perfect characters, but they have certainly done better than Bungie could have dreamed of, just look at Destiny to see how poor they are at crafting interesting characters.

Most of Bingie’s characters became more interesting after only reading the books/comics, thanks to the writers of those books. 343 characters, on the other hand, had better development with more interesting personalities, and that’s just the first game. Heck, Crimson team members had more personalities than characters in the first games.

The only exception, though, was 343 guilty spark.

IMO John was 10x more interesting in Halo 4 than he has been in the other games.

I like what 343 did with John, Cortana and Halsey, their stories were all very interesting in Halo 4. I didn’t like any of the Spartan IVs besides the guy who took the half of the Janice Key from Halsey and even then I’ve forgotten his name.

I’m hoping that the Halo 5 story pans out well, I’ve been bored to tears with the latest waste of resources web series but Locke isn’t a bad character.

> 2533274812652989;9:
> What was interesting about Captain Keyes? With The Fall of Reach, The Flood and The Col Protocol as supplemental backstory for him, he is interesting. Yet in just Halo: Combat Evolved? He is just a generic space captain who turns into play-doh towards the end. What is interesting about Johnson in just the games? He is just ripped from every “badass” space marine stereotype from sci-fi. The Master Chief is even worse, he was just a generic space marine with the personality of a brick. I won’t say 343 has created perfect characters, but they have certainly done better than Bungie could have dreamed of, just look at Destiny to see how poor they are at crafting interesting characters.

this

The only character that has particularly annoyed me in the Halo series, is that scientist woman in Halo 4. I think she is called Dr Tulson or something. The voice actress is so annoying. I was really hoping you could shoot Dr Tulson at some point in the game. The only good thing about her was when her face melted for ages because of the composer. Well done Didact.

> 2533274812652989;9:
> What was interesting about Captain Keyes? With The Fall of Reach, The Flood and The Col Protocol as supplemental backstory for him, he is interesting. Yet in just Halo: Combat Evolved? He is just a generic space captain who turns into play-doh towards the end. What is interesting about Johnson in just the games? He is just ripped from every “badass” space marine stereotype from sci-fi. The Master Chief is even worse, he was just a generic space marine with the personality of a brick. I won’t say 343 has created perfect characters, but they have certainly done better than Bungie could have dreamed of, just look at Destiny to see how poor they are at crafting interesting characters.

Unfair comparison.

Bungies Halo games had excellent story and characters that were all critically acclaimed, Destiny story I have no idea what happened. I will agree that 343 did a good job with Halo 4 campaign story but overall they do not stack up against Bungie on the Halo front.

> 2533274813077769;14:
> The only character that has particularly annoyed me in the Halo series, is that scientist woman in Halo 4. I think she is called Dr Tulson or something. The voice actress is so annoying. I was really hoping you could shoot Dr Tulson at some point in the game. The only good thing about her was when her face melted for ages because of the composer. Well done Didact.

Dr Tillson. She was so annoying. Maybe the Didact would compose Sarah Palmer in H5? That’s just me hoping here.

> 2533274933802447;16:
> > 2533274813077769;14:
> > The only character that has particularly annoyed me in the Halo series, is that scientist woman in Halo 4. I think she is called Dr Tulson or something. The voice actress is so annoying. I was really hoping you could shoot Dr Tulson at some point in the game. The only good thing about her was when her face melted for ages because of the composer. Well done Didact.
>
>
> Dr Tillson. She was so annoying. Maybe the Didact would compose Sarah Palmer in H5? That’s just me hoping here.

I just hope she’s off on another assignment, I’d rather not see her at all.

> 2535460581617230;8:
> The juvenile attitude of the Spartan 4’s is likely to play into the whole story of not been able to replace Spartans like master chief. I think when the story develops there is likely going to be disastrous consequences for humanity due to the ‘I’m a spartan I’m awsome’ attitude Spartan 4’s have.

I agree, plus most are ODST turned Spartans, who had a bad attitude about the Spartans to begin with, and now they are Spartans. Palmer comes off as unfortunately a woman placed a a figure head, and instead of being herself, which is what got her there in the first place she’s trying to be more bad -Yoink- then she is, and it makes her unlikable. PLUS she came off as a Cortana replacement… and not a good one in Halo 4. Thorn however, I liked, and Lasky (SP?) I’ve always liked.

Dr Glassman is worst character

> 2533274825385373;18:
> > 2535460581617230;8:
> > The juvenile attitude of the Spartan 4’s is likely to play into the whole story of not been able to replace Spartans like master chief. I think when the story develops there is likely going to be disastrous consequences for humanity due to the ‘I’m a spartan I’m awsome’ attitude Spartan 4’s have.
>
>
> I agree, plus most are ODST turned Spartans, who had a bad attitude about the Spartans to begin with, and now they are Spartans. Palmer comes off as unfortunately a woman placed a a figure head, and instead of being herself, which is what got her there in the first place she’s trying to be more bad -Yoink- then she is, and it makes her unlikable. PLUS she came off as a Cortana replacement… and not a good one in Halo 4. Thorn however, I liked, and Lasky (SP?) I’ve always liked.

A few ODSTS became Spartan IVs, not most. There must be tens of thousands of ODSTs and under 1000 Spartan IVs altogether.

How did Palmer come off as a Cortana replacement? They’re two completely different characters in nearly every aspect. Is it because Palmer is a strong female character with a sense of humour?