The case against crossplay

Crossplay advocates. This is directed towards you. I know that you are dead set and convinced that the PC doesn’t have an advantage over the Xbox because of the circle menu being an idea originated to suit the limitations of the controller, but that cannot supplant the fact that the PC is capable of a much higher APM (actions per minute) than the Xbox. Letting PC and Xbox players play campaign with each other would be harmless enough, but it is my understanding that such a feature is lackluster in the eyes of those that want full crossplay integrated into each gamemode - An idea that will no doubt force players who want to play competitively onto the PC.

Yet for those of you that want to refute my base point that there is a disparity between the skill ceilings of the keyboard and controller, I would ask you to read this. It’s a recent reddit thread of competent players that have played both the PC and Xbox versions of Halo Wars 2. The conclusion is that there is indeed an advantage to playing with a mouse and keyboard. So don’t bother trying to deny that. On top of that, don’t bother bringing up unranked playlists either. Xbox players who play unranked still care about winning, and they will most certainly complain the moment they realize that they have been put at a disadvantage. The main attraction of an unranked playlist is the absence of stress. Those that sit down after a long day and just want to relax will undoubtedly be made unhappy should crossplay be implemented into their favorite playlist.

I know that those that push the idea of crossplay have become less vocal now that they have lost hope of its implementation, but I also know that they are still there. So will you finally admit what a bad idea it is?

I’d agree with a social playlist with cross play. Gears of War has already made it.

I do not agree with ranked though.

Can’t fully agree, if the TV is in use I’d love to use the PC.

This could be solved if there was an option of allow console connectivity where keyboard functionality would be limited or disabled when controller is plugged in or against a console user. The PC user would have to agree to these terms and the console user would have a similar option of agreeing to match up with PC and have the option of connecting a mouse and keyboard to allow for more expanded gameplay but if a controller is used it wouldn’t be totally unfair.

Yes having a hindered PC gaming experience wouldn’t be the best but I would take it over not having anyone to play with. Might just get more sales on the game and find that there’s more people using KB and Mouse.

there really is no reason to not have it in social the pc community is already on its last breath.

the argument of not having it only made sense if all playlists were ranked like the first game which is not the case.

> 2533274830489835;1:
> Crossplay advocates. This is directed towards you. I know that you are dead set and convinced that the PC doesn’t have an advantage over the Xbox because of the circle menu being an idea originated to suit the limitations of the controller, but that cannot supplant the fact that the PC is capable of a much higher APM (actions per minute) than the Xbox. Letting PC and Xbox players play campaign with each other would be harmless enough, but it is my understanding that such a feature is lackluster in the eyes of those that want full crossplay integrated into each gamemode - An idea that will no doubt force players who want to play competitively onto the PC.
>
> Yet for those of you that want to refute my base point that there is a disparity between the skill ceilings of the keyboard and controller, I would ask you to read this. It’s a recent reddit thread of competent players that have played both the PC and Xbox versions of Halo Wars 2. The conclusion is that there is indeed an advantage to playing with a mouse and keyboard. So don’t bother trying to deny that. On top of that, don’t bother bringing up unranked playlists either. Xbox players who play unranked still care about winning, and they will most certainly complain the moment they realize that they have been put at a disadvantage. The main attraction of an unranked playlist is the absence of stress. Those that sit down after a long day and just want to relax will undoubtedly be made unhappy should crossplay be implemented into their favorite playlist.
>
> I know that those that push the idea of crossplay have become less vocal now that they have lost hope of its implementation, but I also know that they are still there. So will you finally admit what a bad idea it is?

The only argument I can see for cross play is ignorance

> 2533274807002328;3:
> Can’t fully agree, if the TV is in use I’d love to use the PC.
>
> This could be solved if there was an option of allow console connectivity where keyboard functionality would be limited or disabled when controller is plugged in or against a console user. The PC user would have to agree to these terms and the console user would have a similar option of agreeing to match up with PC and have the option of connecting a mouse and keyboard to allow for more expanded gameplay but if a controller is used it wouldn’t be totally unfair.
>
> Yes having a hindered PC gaming experience wouldn’t be the best but I would take it over not having anyone to play with. Might just get more sales on the game and find that there’s more people using KB and Mouse.

Forcing PC players to use a controller/Xbox plays to use mouse and keyboard would cause many complaints. For good reason too. PC players aren’t used to the controller and Xbox players aren’t used to the mouse and keyboard. Not only that, but the PC players would maintain an advantage when it comes to frames per second. Hindering the mouse and keyboard appropriately to match the controller would be an impossible task. PC players would not be happy with the slowed speed when they’re used to a higher APM.

> 2533274968042384;4:
> there really is no reason to not have it in social the pc community is already on its last breath.
>
> the argument of not having it only made sense if all playlists were ranked like the first game which is not the case.

You didn’t address my point. Unranked players will still feel the malefic effects of the inherently unfair PC/Xbox disparity. There is more than just one way to get a wider playerbase for PC. Get Halo Wars on Steam. And don’t say “that won’t happen”, because crossplay won’t either. We’re talking in hypotheticals.

Social crossplay I’ll be ok with. Not in rank though.

As long as ranked is kept to the same platform I think its a great idea.

There would need to be some incentive for Xbox players. We have no issues finding matches. Our player base is fine. So why should we have to subjugate ourselves on the behalf of PC players? No one told you to get the game on PC. It was pretty much guaranteed that PC player base would be low before the game was released.

> 2661949065475413;10:
> There would need to be some incentive for Xbox players. We have no issues finding matches. Our player base is fine. So why should we have to subjugate ourselves on the behalf of PC players? No one told you to get the game on PC. It was pretty much guaranteed that PC player base would be low before the game was released.

THIS is exactly what I was about to say, I don’t want to have to deal with that when I agreed for Xbox functionality!
I want to say though, if there was mouse and keyboard functionality for Xbox, and people had a choice between playing with people who had keyboards and controllers alike, a majority would pick to play with their own!
I don’t have a want for any of these though, PC Is hindered and I’m not sure if I want to hold it’s hand on the edge of the cliff.

As long as ranked isn’t cross play I am fine with it. Mouse and keyboard is just too large an advantage.

Jumping on the bandwagon that cross play should be open for campaign, vs ai, skirmish and social game types. With that being said I have no idea how difficult/costly setting up the infrastructure would be for that. Sadly, it may not be worth it given how few people are playing on PC (just assuming given forum posts).

> 2533274830489835;7:
> > 2533274968042384;4:
> > there really is no reason to not have it in social the pc community is already on its last breath.
> >
> > the argument of not having it only made sense if all playlists were ranked like the first game which is not the case.
>
> You didn’t address my point. Unranked players will still feel the malefic effects of the inherently unfair PC/Xbox disparity. There is more than just one way to get a wider playerbase for PC. Get Halo Wars on Steam. And don’t say “that won’t happen”, because crossplay won’t either. We’re talking in hypotheticals.

why does it matter if they feel effects of crossplay when there is a playlist that is identical besides a badge next to it are you kidding me.

it’s already been stated that unranked still uses rank it’s just hidden. If you really care about the effects play ranked. There is literally zero difference between the ranked playlist and unranked besides a badge.

The fact is that in a rts the kbm has fully advantage over the controller while on Gears the kbm has advantage on aiming and disadvantage on movement.

i play on a midclass pc - with controller, tv and couch… all genres… still no problems since many many years.
learn to play and everything is fine.

> 2533274830489835;1:
> Crossplay advocates. This is directed towards you. I know that you are dead set and convinced that the PC doesn’t have an advantage over the Xbox because of the circle menu being an idea originated to suit the limitations of the controller, but that cannot supplant the fact that the PC is capable of a much higher APM (actions per minute) than the Xbox. Letting PC and Xbox players play campaign with each other would be harmless enough, but it is my understanding that such a feature is lackluster in the eyes of those that want full crossplay integrated into each gamemode - An idea that will no doubt force players who want to play competitively onto the PC.
>
> Yet for those of you that want to refute my base point that there is a disparity between the skill ceilings of the keyboard and controller, I would ask you to read this. It’s a recent reddit thread of competent players that have played both the PC and Xbox versions of Halo Wars 2. The conclusion is that there is indeed an advantage to playing with a mouse and keyboard. So don’t bother trying to deny that. On top of that, don’t bother bringing up unranked playlists either. Xbox players who play unranked still care about winning, and they will most certainly complain the moment they realize that they have been put at a disadvantage. The main attraction of an unranked playlist is the absence of stress. Those that sit down after a long day and just want to relax will undoubtedly be made unhappy should crossplay be implemented into their favorite playlist.
>
> I know that those that push the idea of crossplay have become less vocal now that they have lost hope of its implementation, but I also know that they are still there. So will you finally admit what a bad idea it is?

PC VERSION IS DEAD SO WE NEED CROSSPLAY

The solution seems simple enough for me - provide full KBM support for XB1.

It seems absolutely ridiculous to me that a platform would choose to limit itself to a certain input device even though the overwhelming consensus is that the KBM offers advantages over the gamepad, at least in the RTS genre. Particularly when we know it can be included (XB1 hardware basically the same as a low/mid gaming PC) plus with third party adaptors that exist the problem surfaces anyway. So rather than waste all this time arguing over it and restricting the playerbase to an inferior input device, let them choose whatever they want to use. A similar problem (albeit the other way round) on a major title was with rocket league, in that game the advantage is definitely with the gamepad, so what did they do? Provide full gamepad support to PC players. Now players can choose whichever input device they like. Most PC players opt for the gamepad, because it’s the better input device for the game, just like I imagine most XB1 players would opt to use the KBM if they could for HW2 - because again, it’s the better input device for the genre.

At the end of the day, more players = better game, for everyone involved.

But yeah, until the above happens, no ranked crossplay.

> 2533274852578016;18:
> The solution seems simple enough for me - provide full KBM support for XB1.

You speak as if the game didn’t provide full KBM support for XB1 ever since launch?

> 2533274968042384;14:
> > 2533274830489835;7:
> > > 2533274968042384;4:
> > >
> >
> > You didn’t address my point. Unranked players will still feel the malefic effects of the inherently unfair PC/Xbox disparity. There is more than just one way to get a wider playerbase for PC. Get Halo Wars on Steam. And don’t say “that won’t happen”, because crossplay won’t either. We’re talking in hypotheticals.
>
> why does it matter if they feel effects of crossplay when there is a playlist that is identical besides a badge next to it are you kidding me.
>
> it’s already been stated that unranked still uses rank it’s just hidden. If you really care about the effects play ranked. There is literally zero difference between the ranked playlist and unranked besides a badge.

It matters because casual players don’t want to be persecuted and sacrificed for the sake of PC players. You’re wrong that ranked and unranked are so similar. The players are different. Competitive players don’t like unranked because they want to brag about a high rank. Casuals don’t like ranked because it’s too competitive. Push crossplay on either one of them, and they will be unhappy.