The Campaign better not suck!

Ever since Halo 2 the campaign just hasn’t been the same. It is good enough to play one time, but after that you just want to play multiplayer. ODST had the worst campaign in my opinion. It was longer than needed and was really a story we really didn’t need to know unless it contributed to Halo Reach. I understand it bridged the gap between Halo 2 and Halo 3 but the information about the new alien Vergil wasn’t even really seen in halo 3. Hopefully they they do make one more Halo cough* Halo Forerunner cough* so that we can understand more about them. Overall it does look promising I just hope it is not a lot of talking I just want as much action as possible.

It’s all a matter of personal taste I suppose, but I really liked Halo 3’s campaign and thought ODST’s use of flashbacks to switch between noir-ish night ops in the city and straight action shot 'em up in the various missions was pretty rad.

One of the things I’ve really enjoyed about the Halo series is the flow each game’s campaign has had in terms of how they tell the story and present the game play in comparison to the game before and after. CE was just epic awesomeness from start to end. 2 kept the epic coming but added a more intimate feel with the addition of the Arbiter’s journey of discovery. Then with 3, it went right back to full-tilt epic, but on an even grander scale, at least in terms of the stakes and the feeling that you were truly fighting to save the galaxy from an increasingly dangerous set of threats – the Flood, the Covenant, the firing of the rings.

The cool thing about ODST was that it brought Halo down to street level and, for me, ratcheted up the sense of personal danger and intensity. I thought the game did a great job of conveying the “boots on the ground” feeling that every mission and encounter was a threat. All Halo games have done a fantastic job of presenting the player with numerous “oh crap” combat encounters, but there’s something to be said for the feeling of empowerment that comes with knowing you’re controlling Master Chief versus a common soldier, ODST or not. Maybe it’s just me, but when I’m going through CE, 2 or 3, I expect to make it through any battle no matter the odds or how hard fought it may be. Do I always? No. But I expect to, because I’m a Spartan. With ODST, I was more careful, more deliberate, and I liked that feeling. I liked the difference. It provided a nice level of variety to multiple aspects of the game – pacing, gameplay, story-- that helped it stand out as its own adventure and not just Halo for Halo’s sake.

With Reach, we’re Spartans again, and there’s a whole planet to defend from a Covenant invasion. We haven’t seen anything like this in any previous Halo game, but you’ll see first-hand in just over a month, so that’s all I’m going to say about that.

-Jon

> Ever since Halo 2 the campaign just hasn’t been the same. It is good enough to play one time, but after that you just want to play multiplayer. ODST had the worst campaign in my opinion. It was longer than needed and was really a story we really didn’t need to know unless it contributed to Halo Reach. I understand it bridged the gap between Halo 2 and Halo 3 but the information about the new alien Vergil wasn’t even really seen in halo 3. Hopefully they they do make one more Halo cough* Halo Forerunner cough* so that we can understand more about them. Overall it does look promising I just hope it is not a lot of talking I just want as much action as possible.

Hmmm… I quite liked ODST, so I disagree with you (obviously). This is definitely about personal tastes though. I’m really into story driven games (of course, if it doesn’t negate the action), and it seems your biggest problem with ODST was that you didn’t feel it was important to the Halo Trilogy. You would be right. However, that doesn’t make it a bad game.

The Silent Cartographer was one of my favorite levels of any Halo game. It just dropped you on an island & gave you an objective to complete. How you went about getting there was entirely up to you. They said there would be something like this in Reach, so I’m excited about that. Definitely wasn’t as open ended on the level of a Crysis, but it gave you enough freedom to explore the level and approach some of the encounters in different ways. Because of this the story progression felt more natural, and not like the universe was waiting for you to stop screwing around and trigger the next cutscene. I think if they incorporate a little bit of everything to this point, maybe throw in a few surprises every like the space combat, it won’t disappoint.<!–StartFragment–><!–EndFragment–>

Actually, ODST was my favorite of the Halo series so far… I thought it had a really good vibe, the hub world was fun to explore, and there was a much more real sense of danger than in the other halo games. On legendary a single brute was an encounter I’d rather not risk for the sake of my ammo and my health, if I peeked around a corner and saw a group like that, I’d probably just try to find another route without disturbing them. I definitely thought that was a cool change, also Nathan Fillion as Buck FTW XP.

Actually, ODST was my favorite Halo game so far… To each their own I guess. I particularly liked the feeling of vulnerability, grunts on legendary ODST were something I’d rather avoid than fight head on when on the new Mombasa streets, and getting the option to try and slink away, and the tension associated with realizing that this was your best course of action, for the sake of your ammo and your health was cool. I also liked the characters in the squad, and the idea of being part of a group with personality in general. Both of those things I hope to see more in Reach. Also, Nathan Fillion as Buck FTW XP

HALO REACH WILL PROBABLY HAVE THE BEST CAMPAIGN BUT SINCE I HAVEN’T PLAYED IT YET HERE’S MY STANDING. Which Halo Campaign is the best? Well, it’s sort of a tough question if you ask me. Each Halo game had different unique elements added to the Campaign to add a new style of play. I think Halo 3: ODST takes the cake for the best campaign. When i was playing this game I no longer felt like a geneticly enhanced super being saving the world alone and surviving situations no one should be able to survive, as I felt in the previous Halo games. If all the spartans except Master Chief died by elites, how come I, Master chief miraculously wipe out half the covenant population on my own. That’s not the case in ODST. In ODST I feel like at any second I could be ambushed by a pack of brutes. I felt alone and had the sole objective in my mind “Survive”. I was no longer a blood hungry super human who ran in the midst of every fight to gun down every brute with my assault rifle while jumping rapidly tossing grenades. I had to think of a more strategic approach because unlike master chief, in this situation I could be outmanned and outgunned. Don’t get me wrong. I purchased and loved every single halo game. I do think Halo 2 has great campaign, and I do think halo CE had epic gunfights, and i do think halo 3 was bad -Yoink-, but the reason ODST gets the gold, is because it took the point of view to a new level. I love playing as Master Chief, and if they made another ODST game I probably would change my favorite campaign to Halo 2, but that new little twist to the series answered questions I had and filled the gaps that were open in the halo universe. And for creating the Halo Universe I thank you Bungie.

I have to expand on what lFr0stB1t3l said for a bit. The engineer ,also known as virgil in ODST, was in one other halo game. Halo Wars. This game was sort of kicked under the radar, and wasn’t made by Bungie, but it explained the use of the engineer in the most practical way based on the way it was displayed in ODST. A super smart creature used to repair and heal vehicles and infantry.

I’ve told friends I play with on XBL whom are skeptical that I have a feeling and am hopeful the campaign will be something pretty special. Considering Bungie is going out with a bang (so to speak) on every other aspect of the game, it’s hard to imagine them not doing so with the campaign as well.

Halo ODST was personally my favorite Halo story and single player experince.

“A story we didn’t need to know…”

What constitutes a story that needed to be told? Not every story in every game has to be the most significant thing in the world. I think that a story should be enjoyed based on its own merit, rather than its importance compared to another story.

“Ever since Halo 2 the campaign just hasn’t been the same…”

Well who the heck wants the same campaign over and over and over? Things will inevitably change. Some things you’ll like, others you won’t. Big deal.

Keep in mind that I understand why you say such things, and I realize that your hopes are justified.

i like them all. but odst had something that i really didnt like which was the whole buck dare thing. it caused some pretty stupid dialog . i also really liked halo wars campaign cause a lot of things i didnt expect happened. tho i like halo 2 the best.

I enjoyed the first Halo campaign more than the second. Halo 2 kind of flipped back and forth too much, nice for perspective, but I like Chief better as a character. Halo 3 was similar in a lot of ways to the first Halo, almost as if entire levels had just been updated and copied over. Both a good thing and a bad thing, Halo 3 gave me a sense of Deja Vu. Halo Wars was a nice offshoot, with some -Yoink- characters introduced. ODST had a nice little bridging story, kind of fleshing out the human side of the war (Master Chief is more the mobile platform of death side), and bringing a little more emotion to Halo. If anything, I believe ODST was a test run in characterization and development for Bungie, and it looks like they will be bringing the A game for Reach.

This is Bungie’s sign-off to the Halo series. You can bet that it’s going to be good.

Also, Jon summed up my feelings on the Halo campaigns perfectly. I just don’t get why more people can’t see it from a perspective like that.

> This is Bungie’s sign-off to the Halo series. You can bet that it’s going to be good.
>
> Also, Jon summed up my feelings on the Halo campaigns perfectly. I just don’t get why more people can’t see it from a perspective like that.

Right now, Halo Rech is looking to be the best of em all. When I look at Halo CE-Halo 3 I don’t seperate the stories. I just mush em together and there’s the great epic that is Halo.

halo: reach will have the best campaign…EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

> It’s all a matter of personal taste I suppose, but I really liked Halo 3’s campaign and thought ODST’s use of flashbacks to switch between noir-ish night ops in the city and straight action shot 'em up in the various missions was pretty rad.
>
> One of the things I’ve really enjoyed about the Halo series is the flow each game’s campaign has had in terms of how they tell the story and present the game play in comparison to the game before and after. CE was just epic awesomeness from start to end. 2 kept the epic coming but added a more intimate feel with the addition of the Arbiter’s journey of discovery. Then with 3, it went right back to full-tilt epic, but on an even grander scale, at least in terms of the stakes and the feeling that you were truly fighting to save the galaxy from an increasingly dangerous set of threats – the Flood, the Covenant, the firing of the rings.
>
> The cool thing about ODST was that it brought Halo down to street level and, for me, ratcheted up the sense of personal danger and intensity. I thought the game did a great job of conveying the “boots on the ground” feeling that every mission and encounter was a threat. All Halo games have done a fantastic job of presenting the player with numerous “oh crap” combat encounters, but there’s something to be said for the feeling of empowerment that comes with knowing you’re controlling Master Chief versus a common soldier, ODST or not. Maybe it’s just me, but when I’m going through CE, 2 or 3, I expect to make it through any battle no matter the odds or how hard fought it may be. Do I always? No. But I expect to, because I’m a Spartan. With ODST, I was more careful, more deliberate, and I liked that feeling. I liked the difference. It provided a nice level of variety to multiple aspects of the game – pacing, gameplay, story-- that helped it stand out as its own adventure and not just Halo for Halo’s sake.
>
> With Reach, we’re Spartans again, and there’s a whole planet to defend from a Covenant invasion. We haven’t seen anything like this in any previous Halo game, but you’ll see first-hand in just over a month, so that’s all I’m going to say about that.
>
> -Jon

Well said good sir.

I know this has been said a lot throughout this post, but it really is a matter of personal taste.
Besides you have two sides to each campaign. The fiction itself and the way the gameplay and objects tell the story.
For example, the only reason we saw the Battle rifle for the first time in Halo 2 is because it fits the fiction.
(In the book ‘Halo: first strike’ The spartan II’s Will and Fred feild tested the BR when they found Dr Halsey, under ‘Castle Base’. First strike fits in after Halo: ce and before Halo 2)

So to really understand how each campaign tells the story its meant to, you really have to look past the ink, and into the colour of the game. Or so to speak. I just feel people arnt looking deep enough into it, however, each to their own.

As for reach, what can we say: Both the UNSC and the Covenant are at the height of their miltary power. Reach is an important miltart hub for the UNSC and if lost, their productions are cut in half.
I think when it comes down to that, and also the fact that this will be bungie’s last Halo game, We’re in for one hell of a ride.

Yeah and i beat the Campaign on Legendary at my buddy’s house and missed one checkpoint in the Mombasa streets so I didn’t get Dare or the acheivement.