The biggest noticeable disappointment of H5

For all the talk of new gameplay mechanics, far and away the biggest disappointment of Halo 5 thus far is the art direction. More specifically, the HDR+++++++ style of lighting that 343 is employing ad nauseum.

I’m not going to say “graphics” because the fidelity and quality of the overall look of the game may very well be excellent. But the art direction - the part that we can already see in full form - is atrocious. I’m not an artist and I can’t explain this in technical detail, but why does it look like everything has insane light sources? Why is everything either a blindingly bright light or a deeply dark shadow? Why is there no proper shading or middle ground in any of the lighting? Why does this look like some high school kid’s photoshop project where he maxes out HDR to the max and calls it a graphical triumph? Why are light sources never consistent and what is preventing them from blending together in the slightest? Why can’t you actually see anything?

This trend started in Reach and continued in Halo 4 - and it’s been turned up to 11 for Halo 5. I’m not even going to get into the realism debate - game graphics and art often aren’t realistic, nor should they always be - but it just looks BAD. Halo 3 hit it perfectly for me - the graphics are obviously dated by today’s standards, yes, but the art direction hit a perfect balance between realism/believeability and the kind-of-cartoony world that Halo has always occupied. This? This looks like someone fiddled around with their dad’s photo-editing software and cranked contrast knobs until they broke.

I’m curious to see what people think. After all, opinions on gameplay mechanics are largely subjective and much of the debate about them is just that - debate. I suppose opinion on art direction is also subjective to a point… but come on, does anyone really actually like the INCREDIBLY “busy” and HDR to the max-max-max style of art that the new game is pushing?

Halo is not suppose to be kind-of-cartoony

> 2535454470576309;2:
> Halo is not suppose to be kind-of-cartoony

Halo 4 your first Warthog ride?

I think Halo Ce and Halo 3 are still the best looking games.

Halo 2 had better graphics than ce, but the style itself was ugly. Even the graphically updated Halo 2 Anniversary looks ugly for the same reasons. Everything is very washed out and dirty, taking place in bland sand-centered environments like Delta Halo and New Mombassa.

As for Halo 5, I don’t feel like I’ve seen enough of it to comment. What I can say is that like Halo 4 it’s still a massive departure from the styles of the original games.

> 2533274808455642;1:
> For all the talk of new gameplay mechanics, far and away the biggest disappointment of Halo 5 thus far is the art direction. More specifically, the HDR+++++++ style of lighting that 343 is employing ad nauseum.
>
> I’m not going to say “graphics” because the fidelity and quality of the overall look of the game may very well be excellent. But the art direction - the part that we can already see in full form - is atrocious. I’m not an artist and I can’t explain this in technical detail, but why does it look like everything has insane light sources? Why is everything either a blindingly bright light or a deeply dark shadow? Why is there no proper shading or middle ground in any of the lighting? Why does this look like some high school kid’s photoshop project where he maxes out HDR to the max and calls it a graphical triumph? Why are light sources never consistent and what is preventing them from blending together in the slightest? Why can’t you actually see anything?
>
> This trend started in Reach and continued in Halo 4 - and it’s been turned up to 11 for Halo 5. I’m not even going to get into the realism debate - game graphics and art often aren’t realistic, nor should they always be - but it just looks BAD. Halo 3 hit it perfectly for me - the graphics are obviously dated by today’s standards, yes, but the art direction hit a perfect balance between realism/believeability and the kind-of-cartoony world that Halo has always occupied. This? This looks like someone fiddled around with their dad’s photo-editing software and cranked contrast knobs until they broke.
>
> I’m curious to see what people think. After all, opinions on gameplay mechanics are largely subjective and much of the debate about them is just that - debate. I suppose opinion on art direction is also subjective to a point… but come on, does anyone really actually like the INCREDIBLY “busy” and HDR to the max-max-max style of art that the new game is pushing?

Agreed 100%. I think it’s amazing how 343 is able to max out black levels on some of the notoriously “poor black level” LED TV’s. The ambient lighting was said to have been getting some work done on it…but I honestly couldn’t see a damn thing when I played the beta, so unless they cut 90% of all the crazy, unnecessary visual noise out of the final game, I’d still be Spartan wrong Ray Charles

We cannot judge it by the Beta, wait for E3.

> 2533274909697157;6:
> We cannot judge it by the Beta, wait for E3.

have you preordered a copy, xbotbruhu3?

Great name btw. Really suitable title.

josh said there would be changes before launch. Beside there is still alot of work to do on the game according to 343

> 2640503352964730;8:
> josh said there would be changes before launch. Beside there is still alot of work to do on the game according to 343

The game ought to be very close to being finished right now. Visual noise is going to be perceived as visual noise/clutter, unless it’s eliminated entirely, or dampened so much that the original point of putting the effect in there is now gone.

Holmes said they were planning to change some things with lighting, but never even hinted at any major changes. Halo 5’s lighting is truly blinding to some, while awesome to others. It’s nobody’s fault that their eyes do or don’t interpret it as 343 hoped. What will be somebody’s fault is if they leave it all in there, having been made well aware that a significant number of players couldn’t see anything when holding particular weapons (especially the sword).

That lighting will be there when it launches. Hope I’m wrong for y’all’s sake but highly doubtful.

Don’t confuse lighting with art in general. Halo 5s art is the best halos had in awhile, but the lighting is too much. In the patch notes they said they’d turn it down. If you compare lockes armor to halo 4 chiefs, it’s obvious that they’ve improved and aren’t just putting random lines everywhere. The lighting on the breakout maps were perfect, and the textures weren’t over detailed in the slightest. Truth and the night version of that one map were way too far, but the rest looks great. Look behind the teams on the one massive image, they already have some intriguing and new environments that look WAY more attractive than anything in halo 4 already. The art looks better, and I’ll call myself an artist even though I’m still in school, considering all I do in my free time is art and occasionally games. I’m looking forward to how the campaign looks more than anything, but I share your view that the lighting is complete -Yoink- at times, and I believe it has to do with insecurity, as if you have something that you’re worried about how it might come across visually, over doing it is usually the way to feel better about it. You need to have restraint when trying to make excellent art, because it is so easy to -Yoink- it up by going overboard and to only realize it once it’s already too late.

> 2535454470576309;2:
> Halo is not suppose to be kind-of-cartoony

There are videos where bungie staff say it is. Halo is inspired by starship troopers for -Yoink- sake. I watched a thing where one of the bungie artists said, "it’s stylized realism"they know it’s supposed to be over the top. Do you even know sergeant Johnson?! The rocket launcher is just two tubes with a thing that says “hold like this” on the side, the splaser says “beware of giant scary laser.” Have you ever played a halo game?

> 2533274894863132;10:
> The lighting on the breakout maps were perfect, and the textures weren’t over detailed in the slightest.

This I agree with, though I think the breakout maps were still holding onto that cardboard bland Halo 4 forge world hyahh hyahh!!!

Halo has NONE of cartoony.

> 2533274892367695;13:
> Halo has NONE of cartoony.

^ suggests otherwise.

Yep I agree, I dislike the new art style also

i mean the color are more livid and alive, halo from ce to reach has had this fallout grey/brown colouring until halo 4 came and actually made colors actual alive and nice.
of course this will be different for people take fallout 4 trailer, colors are alive and livid and now it doesn’t truly feel like fallout, imo and from what I’ve read a majority seem to say the same.

the amount of reflection lighting gets is what i think you are talking about which in my opinion looks ok for UNSC but for the covenant assets they seem to be reflecting a bit too much as it might be distracting.

halo 3 for me always felt dead and again sort of fallout ish, whereas 343s art team made the art seem alive and much more believable.

and for the people having troubles distinguishing colors they need color blind help or something as I’ve seen a lot of people in the community have the same complaint that they cant distinguishing the colors, as they must have some minor color blind problems. or maybe its their tv

> 2533274944243845;16:
> i mean the color are more livid and alive, halo from ce to reach has had this fallout grey/brown colouring until halo 4 came and actually made colors actual alive and nice.
> of course this will be different for people take fallout 4 trailer, colors are alive and livid and now it doesn’t truly feel like fallout, imo and from what I’ve read a majority seem to say the same.
>
> the amount of reflection lighting gets is what i think you are talking about which in my opinion looks ok for UNSC but for the covenant assets they seem to be reflecting a bit too much as it might be distracting.
>
> halo 3 for me always felt dead and again sort of fallout ish, whereas 343s art team made the art seem alive and much more believable.
>
> and for the people having troubles distinguishing colors they need color blind help or something as I’ve seen a lot of people in the community have the same complaint that they cant distinguishing the colors, as they must have some minor color blind problems. or maybe its their tv

It’s highly doubtful that any two individuals see exactly 100% the same thing as the other. Point I’m trying to make is that YOU are enjoying what’s enjoyable to YOUR eyes. Considering you say Halo 3 looked dead to you, perhaps YOU need to have YOUR eyes checked…or maybe its your tv. How the hell should I know?

> 2533274946634226;7:
> > 2533274909697157;6:
> > We cannot judge it by the Beta, wait for E3.
>
>
> have you preordered a copy, xbotbruhu3?
>
> Great name btw. Really suitable title.

No, I haven’t
Glad you enjoyed it :slight_smile:

> 2533274946634226;17:
> > 2533274944243845;16:
> > i mean the color are more livid and alive, halo from ce to reach has had this fallout grey/brown colouring until halo 4 came and actually made colors actual alive and nice.
> > of course this will be different for people take fallout 4 trailer, colors are alive and livid and now it doesn’t truly feel like fallout, imo and from what I’ve read a majority seem to say the same.
> >
> > the amount of reflection lighting gets is what i think you are talking about which in my opinion looks ok for UNSC but for the covenant assets they seem to be reflecting a bit too much as it might be distracting.
> >
> > halo 3 for me always felt dead and again sort of fallout ish, whereas 343s art team made the art seem alive and much more believable.
> >
> > and for the people having troubles distinguishing colors they need color blind help or something as I’ve seen a lot of people in the community have the same complaint that they cant distinguishing the colors, as they must have some minor color blind problems. or maybe its their tv
>
>
> It’s highly doubtful that any two individuals see exactly 100% the same thing as the other. Point I’m trying to make is that YOU are enjoying what’s enjoyable to YOUR eyes. Considering you say Halo 3 looked dead to you, perhaps YOU need to have YOUR eyes checked…or maybe its your tv. How the hell should I know?

yes but its much more likely that the people having the problems with distinguishing the colors under a lot of shiny lighting and such might have some minor color blindlness as it is something very common to have,comparing it to the colouring of halo 4 yes halo 3 looks dead and I’m sorry if i wrote that bad, what i meant is that the colouring is dead not halo 3
i mean take a look yourself by these pictures
halo 3
halo 4just look at how greyish the colors of 3s are. its never bothered me at all but when we are first discussing why not just say how the colouring looks a bit bland and dead

but it comes down to personal preference.

Everything looks like it’s made out of plastic. Everything looks too smooth, flat, Cartoonish. Like, Halo 2, 3 and Reach look more “realistic” than Halo 4. It doesn’t feel right. I don’t know how else to explain it. I know Halo isn’t exactly supposed to be realistic, but it doesn’t feel like halo because of this. The structures don’t look like structures.
I just can’t put my finger on it. I don’t know if it’s the style that causes it, but it just doesn’t look right…