The battle of Installatoin 05 aftermath?

Since Installation 05 was never destroyed, and the flood still remains on that ring. What do you guys think might happen to it? Do you think it will appear in the new Halo trilogy?

> Since Installation 05 was never destroyed, and the flood still remains on that ring. What do you guys think might happen to it? Do you think it will appear in the new Halo trilogy?

I thought it was glassed by the Covenant ?

Edit

> Aftermath
>
> At the end of the battle, High Charity had been overrun by the Flood. Battles between Jiralhanae-led loyalist forces and Sangheili-led separatist forces began in orbit. Soon, the Flood began attempting to board ships in low orbit, forcing the factions to target them and prevent further infestation.[10] After defeating most of the straggling loyalist ships, the remnants of the Sangheili fleet sterilized the installation by glassing its surface, thereby preventing the Flood from leaving the Coelest system

Source

The surface of the ring was glassed, with only 1 flood infected ship making it through the Sangheili defenses at the ring (this being the ship that appears in Halo 3). The rest of the Flood escaped to the Ark when the Gravemind found out about it.

It’s all explained in this video.

Sentinels are taking care of Flood. And Elites probably glassed some parts of it. Without Gravemind, Flood is not so powerful, so no worries!

It is a theory it was glassed. In the level “the covenant” it showed that the surface still looks normal

> It is a theory it was glassed. In the level “the covenant” it showed that the surface still looks normal

It’s not a theory, it’s confirmed in a Waypoint video.

> It is a theory it was glassed. In the level “the covenant” it showed that the surface still looks normal

Because “Glassed” is just a general term for bombarded it isn’t like they could glass the whole ring anyway.

> > It is a theory it was glassed. In the level “the covenant” it showed that the surface still looks normal
>
> Because “Glassed” is just a general term for bombarded it isn’t like they could glass the whole ring anyway.

The Waypoint video seems to imply they completely sterilized the surface of Flood. It’d be easier than glassing a planet, that’s for sure.

We’ll details will be needed on that of course since that is quiet a task to do in under 2 months with a low number of ships. Hell, 2 months at earth they were just getting started uncovering the portal.

> …On Delta Halo, fleets managed by the Elites began quarantining the installation, cauterizing its surface through orbital bombardment. Its current state remains a mystery.

Source: Halo essential Visual Guide
Delta Halo
Pg.46

> Because “Glassed” is just a general term for bombarded it isn’t like they could glass the whole ring anyway.

okay, this is OT, but i need to let it out (and this is not about/against you deva!)
last time i did, i got reprimanded by a mod for attacking users, so please: do not be offended, i’m not attacking anyone, i don’t want to flame, i’m just voicing my opinion and this time i’m extra cautious:

the covenants capability to glass a planet was awesome. it added to the feeling of being up against incredible odds.
i do not like that it was retconned/corrected. even if the “modern”/corrected definition is plausible and the actual glassing wasn’t i do not like it.
yes, i do support plausibility in sic-fi universe. stuff has to make sense - most of the time.
but at the end of the day, this is a fictional story and not a scientific one. to me, retconning the whole glassing procedure is really decreasing the covenant’s power, or better: the way the covenant’s power is perceived.
it’s like retconning the death star in Star Wars. it kills the “shock and awe”.

granted, the glassing isn’t as prominent in Halo lore as the death star is in SW, but it still is an important plot device and i really wish that it had staid the way it was - because in this case, “realism” kills the mood.

that’s just my opinion. don’t hate me for it, even if you’re a mod.

Raindoc The issue with Glassing is that you will not find a single account of the covenant actually Glassing as they say they do. When john watch a planet being glassed it wasn’t a huge fleet nor would he be able to see what was actually going on planet side due to the atmosphere.

Hell even in RFoR when the covenant were “glassing” the planet fred notes how the poles were glassed (yes) and that the rest of the planet was just a wildfire, the entire planet wasn’t glass but the fire spread and then damaged the entire planet.
Another account from a survivor of reach even tells HIGHCOMM that they were just starting to glass the planet when he left but he didn’t fully see it. thus, they then assumed that all of reach was lost and glassed.

i do acknowledge all of that (without knowing it, but i trust you on that). all i’m saying is that the ability of turning a planet’s solid surface into glass is awesome - especially if you have just the slightest idea of what an incredible task that is.

that’s why i thought it was awesome. if the canon itself retconned it (with or without fan influence) or it was just a misconception on my (and others) part - it is a blow to the covenant’s power. and i’m somehow sad that this power has been minimalized.

turning the surface of a planet into glass = OMG WTF!!!

stuff like that is what makes an epic sic-fi tale imho. i don’t want just “sci”, i want the wonders of “fi” too! i respect that others don’t feel exactly the same and i can understand that certain facts that defy logic are upsetting to some fans (sometimes i’m one of them), but in this special case i’d rather have it the way it was primarily perceived by me (and others).

that’s all i wanted to say.

They can do it just nowhere as fast as it was made out to be that is the only thing that has changed. To fully glass a planet would take decades, if you really want the math on it ask elder and everybody else.

> They can do it just nowhere as fast as it was made out to be that is the only thing that has changed. To fully glass a planet would take decades, if you really want the math on it ask elder and everybody else.

nonono! i don’t want the math on it. i believe, withouth a doubt, that you are right.
but i miss the “mystery”, the “magic”, the “fi” in sic-fi in such rationalism. it’s just a line i’ve drawn for myself. not everything has to make sense, especially not these big “over-the-top” moments, like glassings, blowing up planets within seconds using a laser…
at some point i like to “shut of my brain”, throw away all rationalism and just enjoy the story, if it helps the story.

@raindoc

Sure, turning the surface of a planet to glass is a very good way to prove the advancement and danger of a Covenant fleet…

But the real “glassing” isn’t much different in terms of the reaction you should get. Sure, the planet isn’t turned to glass. But the atmosphere is burned away and the planet is engulfed in a massive wall of fire. Look at Reach on the map “Condemned”. The planet is covered in fire.

No life will live on it after words.

While the Covenant is realistically incapable of turning a planet to glass in the time and resources they have, they are still able to bombard a planet from orbit, effectively turning the planet into a massive fireball that bruns away the atmosphere and renders the planet incapable of supporting life.

The realistic way of glassing isn’t much different. The outcome is still as destructive and very quick depending on how many ships were there.

Reach contradicts its own glassing terms, it makes the assembly likely wrong.

The fate of the ring is unknown.

The ultimate fate of the ring is debatable, but I’d say that it’s fair to say its Flood-bearing days are likely over for the moment.

“Glassing” does nothing of the sort. It was originally implied that the entire surface is burned, but they wised up about the amount of energy and time that would take so its been retconned as only places of importance are thoughroughly bombarded. I think this was retconned in the encyclopaedia or something. For anyone or anything on the ground, its still the apocalypse. Reports of entire surfaces being glassed and atmospheres burned away are greatly exaggerated, perhaps by a hysterical inter-system news service and chinese whispers amongst the UNSC personel hmm?

Perhaps the whole inner surface of a ring could be burned by an entire covie fleet, seeing as it has much less surface area. But i doubt it.