The Banhammer - Now and August - Your Views?

I’m kinda new here, so I don’t know if we cannot speak about these things, but I’ve got a question:

What will 343i do in terms of the Banhammer on H3 and Reach? Is it being tweaked, changed, updated, or a totally new system being implemented?

Responses from anybody on their views, and possible changes you see need to occur, be it from the Banhammer being too lenient, or too hard on people are welcome (:

I will LMAO when a title update comes in the next few days. 343i FTW.

Right now i feel like the Banhammer is good as is, maybe they could give more of a heads up before mass credit resets but thats about it.

The banhammer definitely needs an upgrade; it’s near-worthless, currently. For example, it can’t even detect actual AFKing; Bungie literally just guesses at it based on whether or not you have 0 kills/points (and assists don’t count, despite their being obvious indicators of active play).

Auto Mutes need to go, or at least changed to enough reports equal an auto mute or something.

Currently its just x amount of mutes by players is an auto mute. I dont know how many it takes, i dont think it was released.

If you’re going to say if they get muted enough they deserve to be muted, thats false. In specifically the MLG playlist pretty much anyone who plays it is auto muted because the players mute the other team before starting.

Yes they are too stupid to realize that all you need to do is go into the game audio settings an put it to “team/party”. The other team will never hear you, nor can you hear them this way.

Still doesn’t mean it doesn’t need a change or removed all together. It can easily be abused either way.

If the person “deserves” to be muted than you can manually mute that person, you will not find mass amounts of these types every game. It wont be an annoyance.

Quit ban needs a change or removed.

There really is no purpose for it. In Halo 3, the penalty for quitting was the loss of an exp and or the big chance your team would lose and a chance of losing your rank.

Quitting in Reach does not yield you credits, thus you are not ranking up (nor down). You also are now going to have less chances at jackpots, thus slowing ranking up.

A quit ban could be taken out and just add a -100 Cr penalty for each quit for the reasons listed above. It cant be an insanely high number like 1,000 to 10,000 or something incase people get lagged out or whatever. Quitting already does not rank you up, adding a small -100 Cr for a quit is thus ranking you down. Habitually quitters will lose quite abit of Cr off just 100 per quit.

Heres another idea for quitting other than a ban, im not sure if its possible but this is assuming the Cr system will stay the same. ( I do think it should be changed to reward more what you do, kills, assist etc and less of just completing games). But anyway.

Ok so its not exactly like Halo 3 where 1 win was 1 exp and 1 quit is -1 xp. You cant do that exactly in Reach because your “game complete” is higher for higher levels and is based on the time you are in game. So a warrant officer couldn’t get a -2100 for quitting out in the first 2 mins of the game, because that is the game complete of a field marshal for a full 15min game.

What i do suggest is if it could be done is, just take away what credits their game complete would be if the game would have ended right there.

I.e a Field Marshall quitting out last second of a 15 min game, it would take away 2100. Or quitting out 1/3 of the way into the game, it would take out w/e that would be lets just say 700 cr. This is pretty much like Halo 3’s quit out system. I think this exact way would be a bit un fair for those who lag out, get knocked off line by other players though. So i would lean more towards a quit out punishment of like 100-500. Or something depending on the level again.

I also see no point in punishing people who quit, when you can not be forced to stay in a match you do not want to play. Jeremiah likes to throw around “quitting negatively impacts others gaming experience” an thus you should be punished for it.

Ok well why do people quit in the first place?

-Because either they dont like the map/gametype (yes a silly excuse). If they do not like the map/gametype they will not be having fun, enjoying themselves, thus having a “negative gaming experience”.

-Their teammates are causing them to lose because they are bad and they can not go remotely near positive (slightly rude, im sorry). A game is not fun when you need to seriously need to try but are still losing because of teammates. Or if you are getting dominated by a team of players equal to YOUR skill level but your teammates are not close. So you will quit because those bad teammates are “negatively impacting your gaming experience”.

-Or the other team is just out right better and your whole TEAM is getting dominated, spawn killed whatever. That is not fun by all means (for both parties). Thus their gaming experience is “negatively impacted”.

All yielding to quit outs because the quitters gaming experience is being “negatively impacted”.

A nice counter to Him throwing around that quote a lot right? Or any community member that likes to quote him.

I said spawn killing isn’t fun for either party because just think do you really think “level 50’s” have fun beating “low levels” all day? No its rather boring actually, but they dont quit because of it because its a free win and free K/D.

Afk/boosting

Whatever the banhammer looks for currently needs to be fixed, updated or whatever.

Currently i believe that the ban hammer only looks for low/zero ranking scores to determine an “afker”.

It DOES infact ban innocent people who are just bad, that either get no kills or a few kills.

I think it looks for mainly these scores on guest accounts because its easier (and cheaper) for a booster to sign in a guest account rather than more gold accounts. (which is why i think those booster that use alt accounts rather than guests avoid it better) Boosters will also get a couple kills on guests/alts to try to avoid the ban hammer, making it look “legitly bad”.

This is just my assumption though.

@AUtomatic quads,

I dont quit often and have yet to rage quit over anything regarding the actual game play. Everytime Ive quit its do to something going on in the real world. I plain and simply have to go.

> @AUtomatic quads,
>
> I dont quit often and have yet to rage quit over anything regarding the actual game play. Everytime Ive quit its do to something going on in the real world. I plain and simply have to go.

Seems my last post was too offensive and was “attacking you”

I can not tell if you are just posting to argue or not…maybe im just used to the type of people you find on b.net :confused:

But as i did say, people do quit because they are not enjoying the game for whatever reason or in your case they need to go. They are entitled to it. Do you agree with any of my points/suggestions for the changes?

Its alot to read and i know i could have made it neater but hopefully its still readable. I tried the best i could to state the flaws from different point of views an come up with fair alternative punishments. Maybe you could add some alternatives of your own.

The mute ban would be fixed if you took into account how many people the muter had muted. For those who mute constantly it wouldn’t mean a mute ban for 99.9% of the time, but for those who rarely mute, it would mean more. They could disable it entirely for playlists like MLG. They could also raise the point where someone gets MBed.(From where it currently is.)

> The mute ban would be fixed if you took into account how many people the muter had muted. For those who mute constantly it wouldn’t mean a mute ban for 99.9% of the time, but for those who rarely mute, it would mean more. They could disable it entirely for playlists like MLG. They could also raise the point where someone gets MBed.(From where it currently is.)

I don’t quite understand all of what you’re suggesting but i assume you did read my post?

I think the mute ban should be entirely just taken away, its currently being abused as it is right now. Its solely based on x amount of mutes. Which players arent purposely abusing it but they are muting those who dont deserve it. It also could be easily abused an exploited if it was solely based on file complaints, while harder abuse and exploitable still.

I think they should just go back to the old fashion way of letting the players mute the people they want, and those players stay muted to the ones who muted them until unmuted. Unless of course they can actually fine toon? the auto mutes and make them work as intended, i dont see how that would be possible though, but im not an expert.

If they were to completely remove it, they would need to unmute everyone that got automuted as well. Those who are annoying, vulgar etc will be quickly muted by people who do not like it. I see no harm in it.

I also want to point out back in Halo 3, people would mute players that would cheat them or bad hosts etc. So if they ever matched them again (but they changed names) they would know. Assuming it wasn’t a different account of course.

> I will LMAO when a title update comes in the next few days. 343i FTW.

the title update isnt coming “in a few days” it wont be till some time after halo fest 343 is gunna tell us when the tu will be during halofest so dont expect it for another few months