The Bad & The Ugly

-No callouts on the radar
It’s been hard to describe where enemy players are, especially so close to launch when nobody knows the maps. I’ve tried calling out and the response is "Huh? Where?

-X has been moved to the radar
This means that only the teammates who are close enough to you can see it, but if they were that close they probably saw you die anyway. It’s not useful on the radar.

-No firing or damage indicators
A big part of the game is awareness, so even when your teammates did not have mics you could pick up on whether they needed help or not. Before, their arrow would go yellow when firing and orange when damaged. Now, they only go a light shade of purple and I think, but I’m not entirely sure, that they are taking damage.

-No moving whilst showing scoreboard
Why force us to sit still whilst looking at the scoreboard? In a game such as Halo where movement is key, it’s detrimental. Just like in the previous installments you should be able to quickly get the scoreboard up whilst moving forward.

-No highlighting on the carnage report
This was a really good feature to see who from the previous game is in your current game. These players were highlighted in the carnage report and it seems to have been removed. I like to know if I’m facing the same players how well they did and even how well I did with/against them.

-Starting uneven matches
This system does not belong in Halo at all. Games are started with the most uneven teams because of it. I’ve been put games where I’m by myself in a 2v1, a 3v1 and a 4v1. The 3v1 came first and I decided to play it. Nobody else joined and I was forced to play an unbalanced game from the start. Despite this, I managed to win but it affected my k/d and I wasn’t happy. So when the 2v1 came about I quit straight away. Which affected my w/l. Then the 4v1 came and I decided to hide for a while until I was killed. I got annoyed so decided to play and got an Overkill. At this time, other players joined and we won.

-Join in Session
Although 343i have stated that there are measures in place to ensure we don’t join games in their finishing stages, I have joined Slayer games where the enemy team has an impossible lead to catch up on. One example is when I joined a game 490-230. Another game I joined I ended up with terrible spawns, died 3 times and the game ended.

-Lack of playlists
Self explanatory. 343i say they want a streamlined matchmaking system and will add other playlists later, but launch time is when the most people will be on. This makes it the best time to have more playlists. You should start out with more playlists and then as the population dwindles over time, start removing playlists and bringing the remaining player base together. Not the opposite.

-No ranked playlists
This could have gone under lack of playlists, but I felt it deserved it’s own point. Probably because at the moment 343i don’t plan on having any ranked playlists. Instead they plan on giving us a CSR on Halo Waypoint which will be as useless as the BPR is for Reach.

“No firing or damage indicators”
There is firing and damage indicators, but the shades of color are too close to the light blue that people don’t notice it. It’s light-purple when the user is receiving damage.

I do agree with everything else.

> “No firing or damage indicators”
> There is firing and damage indicators, but the shades of color are too close to the light blue that people don’t notice it. It’s light-purple when the user is receiving damage.
>
> I do agree with everything else.

I did note that, but as you say the change is so insignifcant that it’s barely noticeable. Maybe we’ll get used to it the more we play, but then we’ve still lost the firing indicator…

I hope that some of these issues can be adressed with the up and coming TU. I know some people like the join in progress feature, but if ranked playlists are included then those would not have join in progress and 343i would be hitting two birds with one stone.

Not being able to move with the scoreboard up has been the most notable thing to me you’ve mentioned. That’s just damn annoying.

Here’s another that slipped my mind:

-No friendly fire in Infinity Slayer
We all know why this is a bad thing. It allows trigger friendly players to spam grenades and weapons at different clusters of players without worrying that they’ll kill their teammates. It’s an element of skill knowing what to use and when which has been stripped away.