The assist system...

Would you prefer to have the old assist system (1 shot on the opponent that leads to their death is an assist) or would you rather keep the Reach system (Basically get the enemy one shot before your teammate gets the kill)?

Arguments for old system: With the Battle Rifle, if all 4 players shot an enemy in the head, only one person would get the kill, but each of them would get an assist. If it were not for the first 3 shots given by the other players, the fourth player would have never gotten the kill. (This is why any shot that helps with the death should be an assist.)

OR…

Arguments for Reach system: It is much more apparent who the support players are based on this system. For example, the player who receives a bunch of assist medals deals a lot of damage but, in the end, his teammate is the one getting the kills. He is obviously just supporting the other teammate.

Any thoughts?

Halo 1-3 system.

Something in-between the two seems to be the fairest. I would also like it if the Wheelman medal counted toward your assists.

> Something in-between the two seems to be the fairest. I would also like it if the Wheelman medal counted toward your assists.

That actually could be a very good idea! Let me call Frankie and tell him about it… I think I lost his number… Damn!

Seriously though, that would make a lot of sense if BTB at the very least.

Edit: I mean the wheelman assist you mentioned

Assists should definetly give you points, i mean to me getting an assist medal is like an “Oh look someone stole your kil” medal. Getting 5 assists should atleast be 1 kill.

Or in point based games the medals are speculated to give points, which is interesting and seems like something I would enjoy.

> (Basically get the enemy one shot before your teammate gets the kill)?

That’s not how assists work in Reach.

3 DMR shots and someone else takes the kill equals an assist. You have to nearly take their shields off for it to qualify.

I like Reach’s system because you can’t just shoot them in the foot and get an assist even though it doesn’t deserve it. Such a system bloats the number of assists people get my making them as common as dirt and invalidates the point of having them.

> > (Basically get the enemy one shot before your teammate gets the kill)?
>
> That’s not how assists work in Reach.
>
> 3 DMR shots and someone else takes the kill equals an assist. You have to nearly take their shields off for it to qualify.
>
> I like Reach’s system because you can’t just shoot them in the foot and get an assist even though it doesn’t deserve it. Such a system bloats the number of assists people get my making them as common as dirt and invalidates the point of having them.

It seemed to work in Halo 1-3…

> > > (Basically get the enemy one shot before your teammate gets the kill)?
> >
> > That’s not how assists work in Reach.
> >
> > 3 DMR shots and someone else takes the kill equals an assist. You have to nearly take their shields off for it to qualify.
> >
> > I like Reach’s system because you can’t just shoot them in the foot and get an assist even though it doesn’t deserve it. Such a system bloats the number of assists people get my making them as common as dirt and invalidates the point of having them.
>
> It seemed to work in Halo 1-3…

A wooden car works but you wouldn’t want to drive it to work.

Neither. 1 shot on someone shouldn’t be an assist but it also shouldn’t take the shooter removing the shield of the enemey first for it to count as an assist.

Halo 4 needs a system somewhere in the middle such as getting an assist if you take down >50% of the enemies existing shield power/health.

I would say any shot that helps kill an opponent is an assist and getting them one-shot for someone else to kill them is a whole different medal. I want everybody to get credit for contributing, but I also think when someone puts so much effort into getting an enemy down to one-shot that’s a big help that should be rewarded in it’s own right. So I guess I want both.

You took the words right out of my mouth Methew, I agree with what you said.

ALSO, IN REPLY TO: Lilprodigy1996 "Assists should definetly give you points, i mean to me getting an assist medal is like an “Oh look someone stole your kil” medal. Getting 5 assists should atleast be 1 kill.

Or in point based games the medals are speculated to give points, which is interesting and seems like something I would enjoy."

I hope youre not saying you want assists to count as points in a game towards winning. That would absolutly not work, That would throw EVERYTHING off the score could be so unbalanced its not even funny! EXAMPLE: On one team, the teammates do well by traveling together teamshooting everyone in site, that naturally results in alot of assists, on their part. Now the other team almost gets double the kills by using a different tactic, possibly covering key areas around the map affectively and communicating well. So, the result the first team wins because of the tactic they used not the kills and amount of AFFECTIVE GAMEPLAY tHey used!!! HUGH??!!

Second Assists can mean “oh look someone stole your kill” to SOME PEOPLE but only those who are greedy and want to promote themselves instead of being a skilled team player, who people can ENJOY the game with. But assists, off-coarse, should count towards your rank/skill level. Sorry I am frank and dont mean to put youre post down, Lilprodigy1996, PEACE

I think he meant points as in spartan points (or like credits in Reach) where you would get 6 for an assist.

As an example, something like 4 credits for an assist and/or 8 for taking someone’s shield down entirely.

IMO - that gets a little convoluted though. I would prefer a single assist (which is easier in medals and stat tracking too) but just make it something more reasonable than Reach but NOT as easy as previous Halos.

I know not many people will like my idea because some games like COD and Battle Field has similar features, but hey, it’s what I like.

Since the only game play video we’ve seen is based off of points, I think assists should be based off of points as well, depending on what percent of damage you do to the target equals the amount of points you get. It’s makes every one happy.

> Neither. 1 shot on someone shouldn’t be an assist but it also shouldn’t take the shooter removing the shield of the enemey first for it to count as an assist.
>
>
> Halo 4 needs a system somewhere in the middle such as getting an assist if you take down >50% of the enemies existing shield power/health.

Ehm, in Halo Reach it’s 40% damage to get an assist, you don’t need to take the shields down.

I like that, weird stealth, that is a good idea if they could pull that off. A point towards an assisting comendation in relation to the amount of damage you did to an enemy, just before a teammate takes him out… or just points towards leveling up, which I think is what you meant, thats cool! but if not It would have to be somewhere in the middle of the previous halos and Reach.

Points for assists would work better in coop play. Something like that is used in mass effect, where it’s possible to get more points from an assist than the kill depending on how much damage each player did to the enemy. But doing any damage at all credits you with an assist “medal”.

> I know not many people will like my idea because some games like COD and Battle Field has similar features, but hey, it’s what I like.
>
> Since the only game play video we’ve seen is based off of points, I think assists should be based off of points as well, depending on what percent of damage you do to the target equals the amount of points you get. It’s makes every one happy.

They do it this way in not only COD, but Gears of War and Battlefield too. I like it as it makes the “point system” more varied. If they could incorporate that into the medal itself as Spartan Points, that would be AWESOME.

“Ehm, in Halo Reach it’s 40% damage to get an assist, you don’t need to take the shields down.”

But 40% would only be two DMR shots… it definitely feels like you need to put in more than 2 shots in order to get the assist.

There is also some weird system in Reach involving the amount of time after you get the person weak. Like if a couple seconds elapses, you won’t get the assist anymore. I think it should be based off whether or not the enemy has regained their shield yet, and I think the optimum amount would be 2-3 BR shots in the enemy.

Any shot should count as an assist as you are assisting in the kill. Even if it’s one shot it’s one less shot your teamate has to take. I don’t really care about how many spartan points you get for it.

> But 40% would only be two DMR shots…

It’s based off total health and shields, ignoring the benefit of headshot bonuses.

7 DMR bodyshots to kill. 50% of that is 3.5. 40% would round to 3.