The Arena team balance is unbalancing the teams

When I was a noob I kept wondering why I got thrown into matches with higher ranked players. Now that I’m somewhat decent at it, I’m now getting stuck with low ranked players on my team. So you get demolished when you first start and you lose when you’re doing better. Then you start losing due to players leaving when they realized the other team is better. It’s clear this is the issue that’s making Halo 5 lose players and becoming less popular. It’s even worse when you remember EU players don’t have their own servers, so there should be more people playing the game.

There’s an easy fix for Slayer. Keep divisions the same, but make team balance go off KDR. This will make it so you’re playing against people at your skill level. Do you like getting punished for losing a game where you finished 16 and 8 but you had to carry 3 other players who are around -4.5 KDR while the other team all have at least +2.0 KDR? Cause that happens to me all the time. My last 5 matches were like that. Divisions do not showcase your skill, KDR isn’t the end all be all deciding factor of a good player… but it will portray your skill better for Slayer, rather than what division you are.

I’m not saying I hate noobs and don’t want them on my team, I was a noob not long ago, I wouldn’t mind getting 2 new players on my team if the other team had 2 new players as well. But I get 3 new players while the other team are all hardcore Halo players. It’s not fun for me, it’s not fun for the new players. If you’re into competitive gameplay then it wouldn’t be fun for you to go up against fish in a barrel. Even matches are fun. I love when you get a game goes 50 and 49. But sitting through a ton of bad games just to get one good one isn’t worth it.

If it can’t go off KDR, I think it would be better to just have randomized matches. Old school Halo style. Cause this division crap isn’t working.

For me I get bounced around. I’ll be in a few matches where I’m clearly out skilled and then I’ll be on a few where I’m the dominate player but still lose the game. I see it as matchmaking when you do well, it puts you up against better players to see if you do well. When you get stomped it says well, lets match you to a lower level . It will never match you perfectly especially if you can hold your own most of the time because you will still be dependent on your team. I have tried and continue to try to play better with random teammates. I will pair with them in some way. Sometimes it works other times not so much.

The title perfectly sums up the irony of situation.

There is no perfect system. If you truly are looking for a full competitive game, you have to bring 3 other people who know or have met online. Going in solo and expecting to be matched up with decent randoms is usually not a good option.

-Yoink- happens. Deal with it… Or not, up to you.

i see you’re in a spartan company, if it bothers you enough to make a thread about it, can’t you play with them?

> 2533274800383882;4:
> There is no perfect system. If you truly are looking for a full competitive game, you have to bring 3 other people who know or have met online. Going in solo and expecting to be matched up with decent randoms is usually not a good option.

Yeah but the system they have to balance teams does the exact opposite. I think an actual randomized lobby would give people better teams than the divisions because You can have a lot of players who do poorly in a game, but they win thanks to other teammates. So they’re constantly progressing to harder enemies when they haven’t even gotten up to par with average players (that’s what happened to me).

Then you can have a really good player who gets put on teams with new players to “even” them out but all that does is set that player up to lose, punishing him for playing the game.

I feel like a lot of people have friends of different ranks and party up and play with them… Naturally that will skew the matchmaking a bit.

‘When i’m top of my team, something is wrong’

Pretty much sums it up, but this happens in any game.

I’m OK, but i shouldn’t be the top player, and if i am its usually on the team that is losing.

> 2533274849470050;5:
> -Yoink- happens. Deal with it… Or not, up to you.
>
> i see you’re in a spartan company, if it bothers you enough to make a thread about it, can’t you play with them?

Teaming up with your company isn’t always an option. Especially when the only ones available are ranked much higher.

Plus your suggestions are neither helpful or encouraging.

Matchmaking balance is always going to be like balancing on a razor. We could add more stats to factor, but that would slow the time to make a match. The system would basically have to search forever to find just that right group of randoms. The system isn’t perfect. I think for the most part it works out fine. What really gets to me is when they match a team of four against a group of randoms. That should never happen.

It is certainly frustrating when you’re up 60 points in a Strongholds and end up losing by 24-25 when you’re carrying the team, a teammate quits, and one guy is 0-12. That happened to me yesterday.

I agree there is no perfect matchmaking system to get this right. Honestly, if you’re going to play Team Arena, it’s best to at least have one other friend in your fireteam so you can somewhat have a plan going in to the match.

> 2533274817677471;10:
> It is certainly frustrating when you’re up 60 points in a Strongholds and end up losing by 24-25 when you’re carrying the team, a teammate quits, and one guy is 0-12. That happened to me yesterday.
>
> I agree there is no perfect matchmaking system to get this right. Honestly, if you’re going to play Team Arena, it’s best to at least have one other friend in your fireteam so you can somewhat have a plan going in to the match.

I had a guy on my team go I think 2-16 in Slayer and I’m just like “why are you in my division?” The Divisions really need to use K/D/A at least partially to determine rankings because some people just get carried because their team wins.

> 2533274864139918;6:
> > 2533274800383882;4:
> > There is no perfect system. If you truly are looking for a full competitive game, you have to bring 3 other people who know or have met online. Going in solo and expecting to be matched up with decent randoms is usually not a good option.
>
>
> Yeah but the system they have to balance teams does the exact opposite. I think an actual randomized lobby would give people better teams than the divisions because You can have a lot of players who do poorly in a game, but they win thanks to other teammates. So they’re constantly progressing to harder enemies when they haven’t even gotten up to par with average players (that’s what happened to me).
>
> Then you can have a really good player who gets put on teams with new players to “even” them out but all that does is set that player up to lose, punishing him for playing the game.

This is a team game, it’s been like this since H:CE. Reach tried this system to reward people with their personal stats and that system failed miserably. If people are aware that the matchmaking is based on KDA, people will not be team players and would fend for themselves, just like how Reach’s ranking system was. Really you are punishing yourself when you join in solo for Arena.

Sure, you will get that person who plays with a team of great players and gets a rank that may not really define this persons true skill, but it defined the team skill. That teammate even though maybe not the best player, plays well with a team and is able to play well in the division they are in, but not be an all star.

Also having high KDA in Gold, Plat, Diamond does not compare to having a high KDA in Onyx and Champion. What you are suggesting is to have anyone in any division with a high KDA to play each other. So you will get Onyx high KDA play against Gold high KDA and the Onyx players will steam roll the gold team.

> 2533274865500640;11:
> > 2533274817677471;10:
> > It is certainly frustrating when you’re up 60 points in a Strongholds and end up losing by 24-25 when you’re carrying the team, a teammate quits, and one guy is 0-12. That happened to me yesterday.
> >
> > I agree there is no perfect matchmaking system to get this right. Honestly, if you’re going to play Team Arena, it’s best to at least have one other friend in your fireteam so you can somewhat have a plan going in to the match.
>
>
> I had a guy on my team go I think 2-16 in Slayer and I’m just like “why are you in my division?” The Divisions really need to use K/D/A at least partially to determine rankings because some people just get carried because their team wins.

They do.

> 2533274864139918;1:
> When I was a noob I kept wondering why I got thrown into matches with higher ranked players. Now that I’m somewhat decent at it, I’m now getting stuck with low ranked players on my team. So you get demolished when you first start and you lose when you’re doing better. Then you start losing due to players leaving when they realized the other team is better. It’s clear this is the issue that’s making Halo 5 lose players and becoming less popular. It’s even worse when you remember EU players don’t have their own servers, so there should be more people playing the game.
>
> There’s an easy fix for Slayer. Keep divisions the same, but make team balance go off KDR. This will make it so you’re playing against people at your skill level. Do you like getting punished for losing a game where you finished 16 and 8 but you had to carry 3 other players who are around -4.5 KDR while the other team all have at least +2.0 KDR? Cause that happens to me all the time. My last 5 matches were like that. Divisions do not showcase your skill, KDR isn’t the end all be all deciding factor of a good player… but it will portray your skill better for Slayer, rather than what division you are.
>
> I’m not saying I hate noobs and don’t want them on my team, I was a noob not long ago, I wouldn’t mind getting 2 new players on my team if the other team had 2 new players as well. But I get 3 new players while the other team are all hardcore Halo players. It’s not fun for me, it’s not fun for the new players. If you’re into competitive gameplay then it wouldn’t be fun for you to go up against fish in a barrel. Even matches are fun. I love when you get a game goes 50 and 49. But sitting through a ton of bad games just to get one good one isn’t worth it.
>
> If it can’t go off KDR, I think it would be better to just have randomized matches. Old school Halo style. Cause this division crap isn’t working.

K/D doesn’t make it fair to players who often die, but accomplish the objectives. They may die more often, but getting objectives is more important than kills although I disagree with the weighting. Kills still are an integral part of most games, but completing objectives wins games. Now there’s a difference between dying often and being bad, but that’s a different story.

I don’t like the divisions either. I think there should be two options here. The first is to toss the division system. Start everyone at level one or bronze if they’re so insistent or iron whatever is lowest and make them work their way up until they hit their skill ceiling. Playing 10 matches and then slapping them into a division is annoying because it can place you higher or lower than you deserve and ruin the experience for everyone. Second they need to put in a mercenary playlist that doesn’t allow parties for players who like team games, but don’t always have parties or fix the algorithm so it stops matching parties with randoms and make it completely one-sided.

> 2533274831961512;14:
> > 2533274864139918;1:
> >
>
>
> K/D doesn’t make it fair to players who often die, but accomplish the objectives. They may die more often, but getting objectives is more important than kills although I disagree with the weighting.
>
> I don’t like the divisions either. I think there should be two options here. The first is to toss the division system. Start everyone at level one or bronze if they’re so insistent or iron whatever is lowest and make them work their way up until they hit their skill ceiling. Playing 10 matches and then slapping them into a division is annoying because it can place you higher or lower than you deserve and ruin the experience for everyone. Second they need to put in a mercenary playlist that doesn’t allow parties for players who like team games, but don’t always have parties or fix the algorithm so it stops matching parties with randoms and make it completely one-sided.

But… in slayer KDA is the objective…

The game needs a solo queue playlist for Arena or Slayer, why copy LoL tiers, but not copy LoL solo-queue

> 2546678360738653;16:
> The game needs a solo queue playlist for Arena or Slayer, why copy LoL tiers, but not copy LoL solo-queue

LoL solo queue is gone.

Completely agree with you OP.

> 2533274874103116;8:
> ‘When i’m top of my team, something is wrong’
>
> Pretty much sums it up, but this happens in any game.
>
> I’m OK, but i shouldn’t be the top player, and if i am its usually on the team that is losing.

Yeah I know what you mean, for the past 5 games I have been the best player on our team. And I just want to say this again, I have no problems playing with new players or bad players… but when I get a team of bad players and they have 2 platinum players with +5 KDR and 2 decent players it becomes frustrating. I don’t blame those losses on the bad players, matchmaking put them there.

That grind to become good and win matches never seems like a reachable goal that can be accomplished by your own skill. You’re at the mercy of matchmaking. 1 great player with 3 bad players does not equal to 4 average players. Those 4 could be really good at teamwork and staying together. Their experience collectively ultimately makes them the better team. Even giving new players hints/tips and telling them where enemies are won’t do you any good if you say “one’s coming mid ramp” and hear “where’s that?”

> 2533274824175624;15:
> > 2533274831961512;14:
> > > 2533274864139918;1:
> > >
> >
> >
> > K/D doesn’t make it fair to players who often die, but accomplish the objectives. They may die more often, but getting objectives is more important than kills although I disagree with the weighting.
> >
> > I don’t like the divisions either. I think there should be two options here. The first is to toss the division system. Start everyone at level one or bronze if they’re so insistent or iron whatever is lowest and make them work their way up until they hit their skill ceiling. Playing 10 matches and then slapping them into a division is annoying because it can place you higher or lower than you deserve and ruin the experience for everyone. Second they need to put in a mercenary playlist that doesn’t allow parties for players who like team games, but don’t always have parties or fix the algorithm so it stops matching parties with randoms and make it completely one-sided.
>
>
> But… in slayer KDA is the objective…

Then they can weight that fully in the slayer list. Arena isn’t limited to slayer though.

Partying up is nice, but the ranking system should be able to create relatively balanced matches regardless. Otherwise, what is its function?