The aliens in halo 4

Should feel Alien again.

Who else hated Halo 2 for humanizing the Elites and adding a fracking poetic intelligence to the Flood? Don’t tell me I’m the only one.

[deleted]

> I actually loved the elites in Halo 2. The poetry was also a nice touch. It made me kinda like the elites.
>
> In Halo Reach they became all mean and alien like again. I didn’t like it.

I know. In Halo Rech the Elite’s become grunting monsters, with terrible armour. Even the Grunts were terrible. Eh, I just don’t like Reach.

But, in Halo 4, I think the Ancient Enemy should be very alien-like. Bring back the ‘who are we fighting and why are we fighting them’ feel Halo: CE had.

> I actually loved the elites in Halo 2. The poetry was also a nice touch. It made me kinda like the elites.
>
> In Halo Reach they became all mean and alien like again. I didn’t like it.

That’s why I hated them.

The elites weren’t supposed to be liked. Have you ever watched the movie “Aliens”? One of the greatest pieces of Sci Fi ever? The original took a great deal of inspiration from it. I loved the elites in the original. In fact… there’s a page that explains pretty much exactly why…

lemme fish it out…

http://www.badcyborg.net/Other/Halo2Disappointment.html

i understand the flood part that was a bit to far but elites talking worked with halo 2 and some parts of the story wouldn’t have worked if humans and elites had a language barrier

> i understand the flood part that was a bit to far but elites talking worked with halo 2 and some parts of the story wouldn’t have worked if humans and elites had a language barrier

I’m sure Bungie could have found another way. Maybe some kind of electronic translator the Covies used to understand us could have been retrieved at some point during the campaign, and that translator would have allowed translation in the form of subtitles.

[deleted]

“Master Chief got surrounded by Elites at the end of the E3 2003 movie? Now those Elites were menacing and animalistic, and never did “Wort Wort Wort!” send a bigger shiver down the spine. What a vision. That’s the way I thought Elites were going to go; deep into scary territory, enhancing the menace of the original character. It would’ve been fantastic. But these guys? They’re just too darned human. What a wonderful opportunity wasted.”

I kind of agree with this. Elite’s in Halo 2 do seem less threatening.

> > > I actually loved the elites in Halo 2. The poetry was also a nice touch. It made me kinda like the elites.
> > >
> > > In Halo Reach they became all mean and alien like again. I didn’t like it.
> >
> > That’s why I hated them.
> >
> > The elites weren’t supposed to be liked. Have you ever watched the movie “Aliens”? One of the greatest pieces of Sci Fi ever? The original took a great deal of inspiration from it. I loved the elites in the original. In fact… there’s a page that explains pretty much exactly why…
> >
> > lemme fish it out…
> >
> > Halo 2 disappointment
>
> In Halo 1, they were you’re enemies. In Halo 2, you played as one of them, therefor you had to understand them (English), but they shouldn’t sound very human. The only solution was to give them some kind of accent to insure that the game doesn’t become bland and to insure that they sound “different”, but also make it somewhat believable. Honestly, would an elite with a German accent work? Or a Russian accent?

THAT’S THE THING!

Why would they want to anthropomorphize the Elites? They were fine in Halo CE.

One of the few things I liked about Reach was that they brought the Elite’s alien side out again. Even though I still think the CE elites were better, Reach was a step in the right direction.

You do know there is a possibility we may not even face the Covenant client species? We could be facing all new aliens and whatever they control.

> You do know there is a possibility we may not even face the Covenant client species? We could be facing all new aliens and whatever they control.

We know. The OP wants to face Aliens that feel alien like the Elite’s did/do in Halo: CE. He/She doesn’t want to face an enemy that speaks English and can be related to.

> > You do know there is a possibility we may not even face the Covenant client species? We could be facing all new aliens and whatever they control.
>
> We know. The OP wants to face Aliens that feel alien like the Elite’s did/do in Halo: CE. He/She doesn’t want to face an enemy that speaks English and can be related to.

Meh, them speaking English didn’t really make me relate to them. Sure I could understand them and all, but they were still completely alien. Different strokes for different folks I guess. However, new aliens means no prior knowledge of their language ensuring the OP’s demand.

> Should feel Alien again.
>
> Who else hated Halo 2 for humanizing the Elites and adding a fracking poetic intelligence to the Flood? Don’t tell me I’m the only one.

Nope I love the fact that the elites could speak English it made them seem more formidable, the only time when it was good was in Halo CE, when making the elites speak their native tongue was a great idea, and the poetic intelligence made the flood seem ever more sinister than we had ever thought they were before, it also showed the true age of the flood and displayed their pure intention for the obliteration of all sentient life in the galaxy.

Halo 2 actually accomplished Elites that still felt Alien. And the Gravemind was a great addition to the Flood. I have no idea what you’re on about there.

Though, when the Flood themselves were speaking in Halo 3 that was certainly a bit over-the-top.

If the enemy doesn’t speak English, at least Situationally, we lose a massive dimention of the game. And that should be the key word: Situationally

The only times you should hear Elites (Or whatever enemy in H4) speaking English is in one of 2 scenarios, either when you are playing as one of them, or when they are speaking specifically for you to hear.

I think what Bungie intended with Halo 2 was for us to look at the Elites as real characters and not “Typical Evil Alien Bad Guys! FROM SPACE!!!”, same thing could be said with the Flood.

> Halo 2 actually accomplished Elites that still felt Alien. And the Gravemind was a great addition to the Flood. I have no idea what you’re on about there.
>
> Though, when the Flood themselves were speaking in Halo 3 that was certainly a bit over-the-top.
>
> If the enemy doesn’t speak English, at least Situationally, we lose a massive dimention of the game. And that should be the key word: Situationally
>
> The only times you should hear Elites (Or whatever enemy in H4) speaking English is in one of 2 scenarios, either when you are playing as one of them, or when they are speaking specifically for you to hear.

Agreed, although the flood saying phrases in English was a great idea, when they said stuff like “die sinner!!”, it made you wonder what they meant by it and if their was a deeper behind it, so I think that was good for the player.

> I actually loved the elites in Halo 2. The poetry was also a nice touch. It made me kinda like the elites.
>
> In Halo Reach they became all mean and alien like again. I didn’t like it.

The problem wasn’t they were “mean” again. The real problem was that from H3 on, Bungie listened to the complainers and basically completely removed the Covie’s side of the story again making throwing them back to storytelling Stone Age and making them completely uninteresting again like they were in CE.

H2 set up the Covenant as a believable and interesting structure. It added depth. And Gravemind being poethic in a way fit his character: weird, something you can never quite understand. Taking those traits away makes (made) these characters and races very one dimensional again. And yes: that is a bad thing.

I hope 343i has the balls to pick up what Bungie did with H2 and does add some background motives, culture and story to the enemies.

> “Master Chief got surrounded by Elites at the end of the E3 2003 movie? Now those Elites were menacing and animalistic, and never did “Wort Wort Wort!” send a bigger shiver down the spine. What a vision. That’s the way I thought Elites were going to go; deep into scary territory, enhancing the menace of the original character. It would’ve been fantastic. But these guys? They’re just too darned human. What a wonderful opportunity wasted.”
>
> I kind of agree with this. Elite’s in Halo 2 do seem less threatening.

I hope the new enemy will be dark and mysterious.

I liked the Elites in Halo 2. The presentation improved the entire Covenant. Bungie took the bland, two dimensional enemies of the first game and injected character. They showed that the species of the Covenant were complex and multifaceted, something people still seem to have trouble coming to terms with.

> I liked the Elites in Halo 2. The presentation improved the entire Covenant. Bungie took the bland, two dimensional enemies of the first game and injected character. They showed that the species of the Covenant were complex and multifaceted, something people still seem to have trouble coming to terms with.

Indeed.

I think it’s mostly because some people fail at understanding anything other than the most basic of stories. Understanding subtleties, linking things together yourself etc seem to be too far fetched for some people (not aimed at anybody personally here by the way!), so anything with a bit of depth immediatly is “bad”…after all: an enemy that is just simply bad is so much better than an enemy that is “bad” for a reason…