The AI of Halo

Reach’s Auntie Dot, Halo 3 ODST’s Superintendent, and of course the Smart AI we all know and love Cortana, act as our helpful guide as we play through the campaign of our favorite Halo games. They are fun and imaginitive, but what kind of AI can you imagine? And how would they fit into the story? Another question is, how could Bungie have incorporated Auntie Dot into the story of Reach with more profficiency. Personally for myself, I thought she seemed a little… aimless? The superintendent was a major part of ODST, and Cortana was a major part of the original Halo Trilogy (CE, 2, and 3) and the storyline of the before mentioned games, but how does Auntie Dot influence the story of Reach? These are a few thoughts concerning AI in Halo that have been floating around in my head since I completed Reach’s campaign. I’m stuck on the AI. Your thoughts, please.

• R Emboss

That’s an incredible question! There are so many people that love discussing this sort of stuff here. I can’t wait to see everybody’s responses.

Auntie Dot is very to the point, and isn’t a smart AI, that’s why she’s not as fun as the others.

I like the idea of an AI that’s very nonchalant, example: “Chief, not that anyone cares, but you’re running out of time” “Listen, you’re a Spartan, I shouldn’t have to make a waypoint for you all the time”. I just want one that’s basically given up.

> I just want one that’s basically given up.

I guess you could use my brain for one after I’m dead, lol.

A bipolar AI. Give it control over vehicles, doors and whatnot, insane, I tell you insane. Give me!

I feel like Auntie Dot was not very pronounced in the game and felt more like computer software than a person(in retrospect, Dot is a ‘dumb’ AI and Cortana is a ‘smart’ AI). However, I feel her character had almost no development other than to act as a vocal computer. I really enjoyed the two times she really broke that character and displayed emotion.

The first time was when Jorge leaves the Saber and heads to the Pelican in LNOS.

He asks Dot to show him Sword Base, to which she tells him “There is nothing you can do for Dr. Halsey and the others inside Sword base”

The other example is during the intro cutscene to “The Pillar of Autumn” when Carter is wounded and she tells him “You are alarming me” which I felt really conveys emotion, though in a robotic stat.

> A bipolar AI. Give it control over vehicles, doors and whatnot, insane, I tell you insane. Give me!

lol, have a door close on you just as you’re going through >.<

I think it’d be funny to see a protocol freak-kinda AI. An AI who is always getting on the spartans case for doing things like “improvising” :smiley: Haha and what if it reached a point where it would try and stop you from acting in such away that it does not see fit. That would be a twist to our regularly friendly AI personality. Or a bloodthirsty AI…that would be another twist…

“Spartan, spit acid in their eyes and bite their knee caps off!”

> I think it’d be funny to see a protocol freak-kinda AI. An AI who is always getting on the spartans case for doing things like “improvising” :smiley: Haha and what if it reached a point where it would try and stop you from acting in such away that it does not see fit. That would be a twist to our regularly friendly AI personality. Or a bloodthirsty AI…that would be another twist…
>
> “Spartan, spit acid in their eyes and bite their knee caps off!”

You idiot you forgeting 343 Guilty Spark!

I thought, as other people have stated, Dot sounded quite robotic. For an AI that manages intel during a major invasion, she doesn’t sound that smart at all. Unless she was just assigned to Noble Team or Holland.

You know what I’d like to see? Conflict with an AI. It was evident in the books that the AI’s assigned to Ackerson and the ONI spooks in general were always snooping around Halsey’s systems. Think that would be interesting.

> You idiot you forgeting 343 Guilty Spark!

No need to call other members idiots on here. Personal attacks are strictly forbidden.

Dot was mostly there to retrieve information for Noble team while they were on the job. It’s not like Noble team can do all of the calculations about the events going on themselves. She was there simply to help. She was not an aspect of the game that was to guide you and walk you through every step like Cortana.

For me, I like the aspect of Cortana for an AI. I like that she was based off of a humans mind and personality. Therefore, this makes Cortana my favorite AI.

It’d be cool to have an AI that sort of attacked you for fun. Like just as your about to enter hand-to-hand combat with a sword wielding elite, it drains your shields and locks down your armour so you can’t move and then says something like “Don’t move! It’s attack pattern is based on movement!”

B.O.B.

Brains Over Brawn battlefield augmenting artificial intelligence.

Built off of a model of Dr. Halsey’s brain, mutated by a Y chromosome and shares all of his older sister’s hacking skills. However, slightly more split than either older sister.

It oversees a suit, the original prototype to the Mjolnir armour, the Aegis (think Talgeese from Gundam Wing). The direct successor to which is now the Headhunter suit variant but to which all Mjolnir suits were modeled after :wink:

Anyways, the suit itself is patched directly into the STAR-system and contains the original visor/HUD technology that has been implemented into Team Black’s suits.

B.O.B.'s purpose is to give a Spartan omnidirectional awareness with targeting. When dualing, the suit is capable of allowing the wearer to shoot in any 2 directions simultaneously. In the open, the combination of STARS and suit allows the Spartan to hit a target within a any weapon’s maximum range without any apparent line of sight.

Last known location: Reach. A system breach at CASTLEBASE released the original wearer from its cryogenic sleep. He subsequently stole the suit and escaped. It also appears B.O.B. used the fall of Reach as means for the 2 to escape.

Better to have a helpful AI instead of a psychotic one.

Give me a D.
Give me a U.
Give me an R.
Give me an A.
Give me an N.
Give me a D.
Give me an A.
Give me an L.

What does it spell?

Durandal?
No.

Durandal?
No.

T-R-O-U-B-L-E.

Alright, imagine this !! AI’s that you can put into vehicles to play for you (sits in corner stretching out arms)!!!

> Alright, imagine this !! AI’s that you can put into vehicles to play for you (sits in corner stretching out arms)!!!

I’m a 80’s Nightrider kind of guy for that one. The show was pretty cheesy but I would take KITT’s AI over any of his successors any day.

> Auntie Dot is very to the point, and isn’t a smart AI, that’s why she’s not as fun as the others.
>
> I like the idea of an AI that’s very nonchalant, example: “Chief, not that anyone cares, but you’re running out of time” “Listen, you’re a Spartan, I shouldn’t have to make a waypoint for you all the time”. I just want one that’s basically given up.

Dot cared for Noble Team a lot especially Carter, just listen to what she says at the very last level intro cutscene. :slight_smile: