The Age Old Question

What is it even like to be killed by a Halo?

Does it just shut down brain activity? Does it atomize you? Does it release a fast traveling gas?

I don’t think this question has ever been answered.

> What is it even like to be killed by a Halo?

It’s an emotional roller coaster from start to finish.

In all seriousness, I don’t know. It might have been answered in the forerunner saga as I haven’t read those.

I’m guessing that it acts similar to a neutron bomb but only affects sentient life. That’s always been the way I’ve seen it.

In regards to you disintegrating, that’s actually a side effect caused by the delibrate release of a chemical that reacts with the Halo Array pulse to cause disintegration.

The radiation released from the pulse destroys Neural Pathways. Since the pulse travels faster than the speed of light, I’d imagine that you’d be dead before you realised it. No pain. Just darkness.

> In regards to you disintegrating, that’s actually a side effect caused by the delibrate release of a chemical that reacts with the Halo Array pulse to cause disintegration.
>
> The radiation released from the pulse destroys Neural Pathways. Since the pulse travels faster than the speed of light, I’d imagine that you’d be dead before you realised it. No pain. Just darkness.

I agree with Onyx.

“I’d imagine that you’d be dead before you realized it. No pain. Just darkness…” Man, that is dark!

Yup, it’d probably instant, so no pain

A painless death is a happy death!

You go boom-boom.

Man, I’m so turned around with Forerunners and Promethean technology. People getting either toasted, disintegrated, or digitized…

“It doesn’t kill the Flood, it kills their food. Starves them to death.” Well, the Flood are alive…so the Rings WOULD kill the parasite, aswell. I guess excluding them made it sound more cold, devastating, and evil.

> Man, I’m so turned around with Forerunners and Promethean technology. People getting either toasted, disintegrated, or digitized…
>
> “It doesn’t kill the Flood, it kills their food. Starves them to death.” Well, the Flood are alive…so the Rings WOULD kill the parasite, aswell. I guess excluding them made it sound more cold, devastating, and evil.

It doesn’t kill the infection forms, so technically it does kill their food.

> > Man, I’m so turned around with Forerunners and Promethean technology. People getting either toasted, disintegrated, or digitized…
> >
> > “It doesn’t kill the Flood, it kills their food. Starves them to death.” Well, the Flood are alive…so the Rings WOULD kill the parasite, aswell. I guess excluding them made it sound more cold, devastating, and evil.
>
> It doesn’t kill the infection forms, so technically it does kill their food.

But that’s what really urks me about the whole “kills the prey, but not the predator” concept of the Halo Array. Sure it’s good for story purposes, but what logical reasoning gives pure flood the ability to survive the rings’ effect instead of perishing like everything else.

“The Halo Array kills all sentient life.”

Well yeah, but the Flood are sentient too.

Well first the Halo neutralizes your AT Field whilst you scream in agony, thus breaking down the wall of separation individual beings have with each other then you get mixed in a primordial soup of a single consciousness where there is no longer pain, hatred or anything that separates people.

Oh wait wrong series…cookie for the reference though.

I’d have to say it would be a quick process. You see the flash and then, WHOOSH, you’re gone with the wind. Still makes me wonder if your consciousness survives somewhere.

> Well first the Halo neutralizes your AT Field whilst you scream in agony, thus breaking down the wall of separation individual beings have with each other then you get mixed in a primordial soup of a single consciousness where there is no longer pain, hatred or anything that separates people.
>
> Oh wait wrong series…cookie for the reference though.
>
> I’d have to say it would be a quick process. You see the flash and then, WHOOSH, you’re gone with the wind. Still makes me wonder if your consciousness survives somewhere.

I think originally Composers were going to be used in conjunction with the Halo Array. Compose species to save them, then activate the Halos to kill the Flood. Death by Halo is probably painless and instant. With the Forerunner’s belief In the Mantle they wanted the horrible process to be as ethical as it could be.