That's not Canon

Hey Spartans,

Anyone know why in H4 a grunt was able to operate a human turret on Composer? Simply not canon. Bugs me.

Thoughts?

Can’t seem to find the grunt your talking about. I found one operating a Type-52 Directed Energy Support Weapon, but that’s a covenant weapon. Any chance you have a clip or photo?

Who says an Unggoy can’t learn to figure out how to use a machine gun turret? They’re smart enough. I mean, it’s a simple pull of the trigger, and I don’t think kickback and recoil would be of much trouble due to its already minimal existence in UNSC weaponry and an Unggoys strength.

I mean, I’m sure if they can learn 4 or more human languages in a very quick amount of time, a single Unggoy soldier who’s already trained in military weaponry can easily figure out how to use Human weaponry…

So I don’t an issue here in regards to canonicity.

Sincerely,
p1ay4OURFUN

Why wouldn’t it be canon? Using an M247H seems about as complicated as:

• Pull trigger - ??? - Profit!Doesn’t seem like it’d be much harder than operating Covenant Type-52 DESWs, either.

I’m agreed with the above fellows. We do know that Covenant weapons have unusual trigger assemblies, absolutely, but the human trigger is fairly obvious I should think.

The better question is that this can actually happen, but no one saw those banshees that get stuck a few feet away.
Actually I hear this can happen in Reach but I’m not sure. Possible it was left over code for the Grunts.

> 2533274927592272;5:
> I’m agreed with the above fellows. We do know that Covenant weapons have unusual trigger assemblies, absolutely, but the human trigger is fairly obvious I should think.

Not to mention Unggoy hands aren’t all that different shaped from human ones. They have thumbs, they can press the thumb triggers on a machine gun turret.
Hell, we see them using turrets in Reach too.

> 2535442569875751;6:
> The better question is that this can actually happen, but no one saw those banshees that get stuck a few feet away.
> Actually I hear this can happen in Reach but I’m not sure. Possible it was left over code for the Grunts.

It happens all the time in Firefight, especially on the Shipyard map (whatever its called, the one from the last campaign level)

now the only thing about that is how ridiculous it looks with their stubby fingers trying to reach the trigger. And for all those who didnt get it yet, this is not that serious comment. Just saying because sometimes i get arguments on joke comments.

why so serious?

In Halo 3 ODST uses ha grunt a machine gun and in Halo 2 uses the brutes human shotguns so wheres the problem ??

Grunts are able to control a giant mech, but not a human turret?

> 2533274973979999;1:
> Hey Spartans,
>
> Anyone know why in H4 a grunt was able to operate a human turret on Composer? Simply not canon. Bugs me.
>
> Thoughts?

Did you ever stop to think that grunts maybe just maybe have fingers?

> 2533274973979999;1:
> Hey Spartans,
>
> Anyone know why in H4 a grunt was able to operate a human turret on Composer? Simply not canon. Bugs me.
>
> Thoughts?

There are plenty of times in Halo: Reach and Halo 4 in which the Covenant use human weapons, including turrets. I distinctly remember being killed a dozen times by an Elite in Halo: Reach who had the idea to get on the turret of my Gauss warthog.

> 2533274974033696;13:
> > 2533274973979999;1:
> > Hey Spartans,
> > Anyone know why in H4 a grunt was able to operate a human turret on Composer? Simply not canon. Bugs me.
> > Thoughts?
>
> There are plenty of times in Halo: Reach and Halo 4 in which the Covenant use human weapons, including turrets. I distinctly remember being killed a dozen times by an Elite in Halo: Reach who had the idea to get on the turret of my Gauss warthog.

Then that flies in the face of the numerous times the novels have stated that Jackals and Elites, specifically, will go hand to hand rather than pick up human tech because it is “unclean”.

> Then that flies in the face of the numerous times the novels have stated that Jackals and Elites, specifically, will go hand to hand rather than pick up human tech because it is “unclean”.

That particular statement was made in Halo The Fall of Reach.

And no, that line isn’t entirely thrown out the window. John was only describing what he had seen multiple times when fighting the Covenant. Yet we have seen others within the Hegemony use human weaponry, meaning, that particular line shouldn’t be taken as literally as overall fact. It simply means that the mentality of using human weaponry is blasphemous to the Covenant Empire as a majority thought, rather than common doctrine. There would be those individuals who disagree with it.

Also, the post Covenant factions, particularly Jul’s, don’t hold to all the same beliefs as the original Empire. And what beliefs they still enforce, are not as strictly as enforced as before.

> 2533274919463107;15:
> > Then that flies in the face of the numerous times the novels have stated that Jackals and Elites, specifically, will go hand to hand rather than pick up human tech because it is “unclean”.
>
> Also, the post Covenant factions, particularly Jul’s, don’t hold to all the same beliefs as the original Empire. And what beliefs they still enforce, are not as strictly as enforced as before.

Except for, of course, ‘humanity must be purged from existence’.

> 2535411711152989;14:
> > 2533274974033696;13:
> > > 2533274973979999;1:
> > > Hey Spartans,
> > > Anyone know why in H4 a grunt was able to operate a human turret on Composer? Simply not canon. Bugs me.
> > > Thoughts?
> >
> > There are plenty of times in Halo: Reach and Halo 4 in which the Covenant use human weapons, including turrets. I distinctly remember being killed a dozen times by an Elite in Halo: Reach who had the idea to get on the turret of my Gauss warthog.
>
> Then that flies in the face of the numerous times the novels have stated that Jackals and Elites, specifically, will go hand to hand rather than pick up human tech because it is “unclean”.

It’s just a gameplay thing. Much the same way that a single plasma-pistol shot won’t melt a Marine’s face.

> 2533274919463107;15:
> > Then that flies in the face of the numerous times the novels have stated that Jackals and Elites, specifically, will go hand to hand rather than pick up human tech because it is “unclean”.
>
> That particular statement was made in Halo The Fall of Reach.
>
> And no, that line isn’t entirely thrown out the window. John was only describing what he had seen multiple times when fighting the Covenant. Yet we have seen others within the Hegemony use human weaponry, meaning, that particular line shouldn’t be taken as literally as overall fact. It simply means that the mentality of using human weaponry is blasphemous to the Covenant Empire as a majority thought, rather than common doctrine. There would be those individuals who disagree with it.
>
> Also, the post Covenant factions, particularly Jul’s, don’t hold to all the same beliefs as the original Empire. And what beliefs they still enforce, are not as strictly as enforced as before.

Good point. Something to consider.

I can see the bother, but for it not to be canon is a bit to far. I agree with some above, there hands are not to different from human hands to use machine gun turrets. Even if, grunts are intelligent beings as much as we are, who is to say that they couldn’t just use our weapon tech without issue?