That's no scopeless BR. What is it?

http://youtu.be/uwz9aeWu4u0

Click the video link for a good look at the MA5K Carbine. This is a preferred weapon for special operations forces, ODST’s, and Spartan III’s. It is usually not found on the Front lines because it doesn’t have the stopping power of the AR, or BR. It is lighter weight and made for much easier mobility for behind the lines, sneakier encounters. From what I can tell this may be the weapon of choice for our ONI Spartan.

After one of my subscribers pointed this out to me I had to agree him. That weapon showcased in the trailer has a 72 round clip, not the typical 36 we get with the standard BR. Plus there isn’t any scope which comes standard with the BR.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that subscriber posted that here, or got the idea from here. There’s already been threads on it.

That said, the MA5K had like a 30 round magazine I thought. Even if it didn’t 72 seems remarkably high. Not that I’m complaining, I loved the 60 round clip of the old AR.

Good video… interesting theory.

… It’s a scopeless BR. Pause the video at the right time in 1080p, and compare it to this. They are 100% the same minus the scope.

Also the MA5K has a 30 round magazine, not 72 so I don’t see how that’s relevant. The only weapon with a 72 round magazine is the SAW.

> … It’s a scopeless BR. Pause the video at the right time in 1080p, and compare it to this. They are 100% the same minus the scope.
>
> Also the MA5K has a 30 round magazine, not 72 so I don’t see how that’s relevant. The only weapon with a 72 round magazine is the SAW.

I thought the MA5K had a 72 round? i read ghosts of onyx… maybe i am misremembering it.

> … It’s a scopeless BR. Pause the video at the right time in 1080p, and compare it to this. They are 100% the same minus the scope.

From a gameplay standpoint, a scopeless BR would be both useless and redundant. I sure hope that the similarities you showed there aren’t indicative of the truth.

Halo has a trend of revealing new weapons in the trailers… why break that trend?

I’m also stoked for a new weapon to join the sandbox lineup. That much more room to find that weapon that 100% suits you.

> Halo has a trend of revealing new weapons in the trailers… why break that trend?
>
> I’m also stoked for a new weapon to join the sandbox lineup. That much more room to find that weapon that 100% suits you.

Too many weapons can be an issue… especially when many are similar, but not exactly the same.

> > Halo has a trend of revealing new weapons in the trailers… why break that trend?
> >
> > I’m also stoked for a new weapon to join the sandbox lineup. That much more room to find that weapon that 100% suits you.
>
> Too many weapons can be an issue… especially when many are similar, but not exactly the same.

I agree. Implementation is where everything is determined, though. I guess it all really depends on what niche this weapon will fit. Canonically, it is in the AR family. Larger magazine means either it is intended to put lead down for longer periods of time, or it has a higher RoF with lower damage, or it has a slower RoF with increased damage. If the most latter is true, then it could be a decent universal loadout weapon…

My guess is that the MA5K, if it is in Halo 5, will be like the Halo CE AR- not very accurate, not very much damage per round, but a decent RoF and very low recoil. It would be like a hybrid of out buddies the M7 SMG and the MA5D.

That would be cool.
I wonder…if they’re adding Spartan-3 weapons to Halo 5, then maybe the game will feature the Spartan-Threes in some way.

What is it? It’s a gun.
We’ve seen all there is to see about it, and as of now, obviously can’t decide what it is. So Why don’t we wait for more info or we can pointless go “no, it’s a BR” “No it’s an MA5K” for a year

Possible SMG replacement?

I’m sticking with MA5K rifle…Only because its a new addition to the Halo sandbox.

While it looks exactly like a BR with its scope taken off, it’s entirely possible that it’s simply a placeholder for the MA5K, which will receive its own model in the future.

However, what would adding in the MA5K really give us? What role can it fill that hasn’t been filled before? CMT’s version of the weapon in Halo Custom Edition was great, but I don’t see them blatantly copying that.

I look forward to finding out though!

My question is what do you call the MA5k. Its typically called a Carbine, but the covenant already has one, so we end up with a Carbine and a Covenant Carbine? That just feels odd.

Weapons aren’t normally refered to their their model number in game.

> My question is what do you call the MA5k. Its typically called a Carbine, but the covenant already has one, so we end up with a Carbine and a Covenant Carbine? That just feels odd.
>
> Weapons aren’t normally refered to their their model number in game.

CQBR? - Close Quarters Battle Rifle

CQCR? - Close Quarters Combat Rifle

PDW? - Personal Defense Weapon

Just a few I can think of that would mix SMG with a BR that are somewhat common

>
> Also the MA5K has a 30 round magazine, not 72 so I don’t see how that’s relevant. The only weapon with a 72 round magazine is the SAW.

I agree with this. Besides, there’s no point to adding another UNSC rifle when we already have 3; the Assault Rifle, the Battle Rifle, and the DMR.

I’d imagine that the MA5K will function something like a cross between a close range rifle like the AR and a medium range rifle like the BR.

Kinda like how the Light rifle was initially introduced as a cross between a medium range rifle and a long range rifle.

Whether or not a weapon like this will work I’m not sure. The LR did end up having to be turned into a full on long range rifle after the turbo update. Though I suppose the exact reason for this change in it’s niche is debatable. Perhaps the LR could have worked perfectly fine in it’s old niche and it only had to be changed because of the changes to the DMR and 343 still wanted the game to have a long range dependent rifle.

But if this kind of weapon could work that means that we could potentially have five types of rifles instead of three. Close range(AR/SR/Suppressor), close/medium range(MA5K), medium range (BR/CC), medium/long range(LR) and long range(DMR/NR). It’s an interesting idea and it may prove to bring in new weapons and variety without them ending up as re skins.

I think assuming the weapon in the trailer is the MA5K Carbine is a safe bet.
What we see is very similar to the BR85HB SR Battle Rifle from Halo 4. There are some differences such as the lack of a scope (what’s the point of a BR without the scope?) and a different handguard. It would make sense that the two weapons are similar, since they’re both manufactured by Misriah Armory.
Even though Misriah is responsible for a lot of the UNSC’s armament and they all don’t share very many similarities between weapon platforms, the weapon in the trailer might be an MA5K or derivative of that is based on the BR platform with a shorter barrel and, for gameplay purposes, fully-automatic.
Question is, if this is the MA5K or a derivative, is it there to replace the MA5D as the automatic rifle of the UNSC or will it serve as sort of a PDW/SMG role alongside the AR?