Thanks CoD for the reminder.

This morning I played a few matches of Halo 4 and unfortunately I got my butt stomped. I don’t know why I play in the mornings when I get home from work other than I really need my Halo fix. I just can’t get into the grove in the morning and mostly end up being a major hindrance to my team.

So I decided to throw in my copy of CoD Black Ops II because I really don’t care about my K/D since I play it only for fun with my friends. Low and behold I was killed by campers, random thrown grenades, people hiding in dark corners, horrible spawns where I don’t think I got 3 steps, amongst other crazy things.

So I really want to thank CoD for the friendly reminder as to why I love playing Halo 4, despite its issues. Now that 343 is making some of the much needed changes I appreciate it even more.

> This morning I played a few matches of Halo 4 and unfortunately I got my butt stomped. I don’t know why I play in the mornings when I get home from work other than I really need my Halo fix. I just can’t get into the grove in the morning and mostly end up being a major hindrance to my team.
>
> So I decided to throw in my copy of CoD Black Ops II because I really don’t care about my K/D since I play it only for fun with my friends. Low and behold I was killed by campers, random thrown grenades, people hiding in dark corners, horrible spawns where I don’t think I got 3 steps, amongst other crazy things.
>
> So I really want to thank CoD for the friendly reminder as to why I love playing Halo 4, despite its issues. Now that 343 is making some of the much needed changes I appreciate it even more.

What is this ‘Black Ops II’ you speak of?

Yes Halo despite its glaring issues is still worlds above cod. Even after I played them all, I still dont get what people saw in COD

I love all my friends that bash Halo and say CoD is the best. I just laugh because Halo will always be better than CoD in every way.

> Yes Halo despite its glaring issues is still worlds above cod. Even after I played them all, I still dont get what people saw in COD

I hear you. I only play it because my friends like it. I don’t think they like that fact that you have to earn your kills in Halo. That is my best guess as to why they like the other series.

COD does so many things right, and I love COD for sure…just not how I love Halo. Halo takes a different kind of skill which I find more rewarding when you get the kill. If only Halo would copy what’s good from COD excluding gameplay mechanics (I’m talking lobby system, voting system, loadout system, kill cam, final kill cam etc). All of these things were copied from COD but not implemented very well, COD does it much better.

No matter how one may feel about Halo, good or bad, anyone who has played both should be able to see that Halo in terms of being a quality game absolutely destroys COD.

I roll my eyes at every “Halo of Duty” thread that pops up. Halo will always be a more skill-based game focused around more complex gameplay.

Like chess and checkers.

Black Ops II spawns can get you frustrated but then again you eventually return the favor. I personally don’t hate Black Ops II and just play for what it is and adapt to that style of play less the camping which is something that you learn to overcome after playing for a while.

Myself I have tried playing Halo after a long tiring day and find that it just works against me and get frustrated to easily which adds to the problem so I have learned to just stop playing and do something else.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> This morning I played a few matches of Halo 4 and unfortunately I got my butt stomped. I don’t know why I play in the mornings when I get home from work other than I really need my Halo fix. I just can’t get into the grove in the morning and mostly end up being a major hindrance to my team.
>
> So I decided to throw in my copy of CoD Black Ops II because I really don’t care about my K/D since I play it only for fun with my friends. Low and behold I was killed by campers, random thrown grenades, people hiding in dark corners, horrible spawns where I don’t think I got 3 steps, amongst other crazy things.
>
> So I really want to thank CoD for the friendly reminder as to why I love playing Halo 4, despite its issues. Now that 343 is making some of the much needed changes I appreciate it even more.

Too true.

I hopped on Black Ops 2 this morning for a couple quick matches. I think its pretty fun for a twitch shooter. But you can’t forget:

Horrible hit detection.

I swear it has worse hit detection than even Black Ops 1…and I thought that was impossible.

Despite all the flaws in Halo 4 and everything broken and unbalanced about it, I will never play CoD in its place.

> No matter how one may feel about Halo, good or bad, anyone who has played both should be able to see that Halo in terms of being a quality game absolutely destroys COD.
>
> I roll my eyes at every “Halo of Duty” thread that pops up. Halo will always be a more skill-based game focused around more complex gameplay.
>
> Like chess and checkers.

Nobody creates those Halo of Duty threads because they think CoD is better. They create them because Halo 4 ripped off a bunch of CoD gameplay mechanics and it’s dragging the game down.

Halo is still the premier FPS game in my mind. Just because a multiplayer title gets more hits than Halo doesn’t mean it’s necessarily better. Just more popular. And yes, they are different things.

Viva Halo.

> > No matter how one may feel about Halo, good or bad, anyone who has played both should be able to see that Halo in terms of being a quality game absolutely destroys COD.
> >
> > I roll my eyes at every “Halo of Duty” thread that pops up. Halo will always be a more skill-based game focused around more complex gameplay.
> >
> > Like chess and checkers.
>
> Nobody creates those Halo of Duty threads because they think CoD is better. They create them because Halo 4 ripped off a bunch of CoD gameplay mechanics and it’s dragging the game down.

Okay there’s this argument…

What Halo “ripped off” form COD.

Killcams (which can be skipped, as they suck in this game)

Grenade indicators, which are more helpful than harmful, and they can be ignored

Sprint was the most used armor ability in Reach, and it became default as it should have (which is purely subjective and my opinion, as people are entitled to feel otherwise)

The name of Spartan Ops is similar to CoD, but different in almost every way possible.

Ordinance is arguably inspired by COD’s killstreak system, but in reality they have very little in common. You actually need killstreaks to get rewards that consist of airstrikes that wipe the battlefield clean, attack dogs to rack up kills, etc. The ordinance system fills as you do pretty much anything worth a point, and you’re given the option to receive power weapons and grenades that can be found on the map you’re playing on, or power ups. The system needs a little tweaking as it is inconsistent, but it’s similarity to COD’s killstreak system is small.

Loadouts. One can say they are inspired by COD, but they lack the ridiculous freedom in terms of customization. You’re given the option of one primary weapon and a secondary weapon (or another primary depending on your perk or whatever). No power weapon spawns. Are they a little unbalanced? Of course, mainly the DMR and the Boltshot. The boltshot can be beaten in many ways, especially by using your ears and strafing like hell. The DMR is overpowered, but people are only upset about that because there is a weapon that is better in certain scenarios than the BR and that can be contributed to nostalgia. Overall, the loadouts are MUCH more balanced than COD and don’t encourage power weapon spawns.

Perks. More or less taken from COD, but they’re not as game changing, and no where near as cluttered and confusing as COD’s system. Still, this is something that can be said was taken from COD and implemented similarly.

The scoring system. Let’s not go through this, just remove the zero lol.

Out of all that, the only changes Halo made that are VERY CODified are sprint, perks and killcams. Most of the other things are more than likely inspired by COD, but at the end of the day, 343 has, for the most part, managed to create something of their own based on said inspirations and that is NOTHING new to not only gaming, but to media in general. Art, film, everything is inspired by something, and there’s nothing wrong with it. As long as you can create something new and fresh, and I, for the most part, feel like 343 succeeded. But that’s my opinion.

> > > No matter how one may feel about Halo, good or bad, anyone who has played both should be able to see that Halo in terms of being a quality game absolutely destroys COD.
> > >
> > > I roll my eyes at every “Halo of Duty” thread that pops up. Halo will always be a more skill-based game focused around more complex gameplay.
> > >
> > > Like chess and checkers.
> >
> > Nobody creates those Halo of Duty threads because they think CoD is better. They create them because Halo 4 ripped off a bunch of CoD gameplay mechanics and it’s dragging the game down.
>
> Okay there’s this argument…
>
> What Halo “ripped off” form COD.
>
> Killcams (which can be skipped, as they suck in this game)
>
> Grenade indicators, which are more helpful than harmful, and they can be ignored
>
> Sprint was the most used armor ability in Reach, and it became default as it should have (which is purely subjective and my opinion, as people are entitled to feel otherwise)
>
> The name of Spartan Ops is similar to CoD, but different in almost every way possible.
>
> Ordinance is arguably inspired by COD’s killstreak system, but in reality they have very little in common. You actually need killstreaks to get rewards that consist of airstrikes that wipe the battlefield clean, attack dogs to rack up kills, etc. The ordinance system fills as you do pretty much anything worth a point, and you’re given the option to receive power weapons and grenades that can be found on the map you’re playing on, or power ups. The system needs a little tweaking as it is inconsistent, but it’s similarity to COD’s killstreak system is small.
>
> Loadouts. One can say they are inspired by COD, but they lack the ridiculous freedom in terms of customization. You’re given the option of one primary weapon and a secondary weapon (or another primary depending on your perk or whatever). No power weapon spawns. Are they a little unbalanced? Of course, mainly the DMR and the Boltshot. The boltshot can be beaten in many ways, especially by using your ears and strafing like hell. The DMR is overpowered, but people are only upset about that because there is a weapon that is better in certain scenarios than the BR and that can be contributed to nostalgia. Overall, the loadouts are MUCH more balanced than COD and don’t encourage power weapon spawns.
>
> Perks. More or less taken from COD, but they’re not as game changing, and no where near as cluttered and confusing as COD’s system. Still, this is something that can be said was taken from COD and implemented similarly.
>
> The scoring system. Let’s not go through this, just remove the zero lol.
>
> Out of all that, the only changes Halo made that are VERY CODified are sprint, perks and killcams. Most of the other things are more than likely inspired by COD, but at the end of the day, 343 has, for the most part, managed to create something of their own based on said inspirations and that is NOTHING new to not only gaming, but to media in general. Art, film, everything is inspired by something, and there’s nothing wrong with it. As long as you can create something new and fresh, and I, for the most part, feel like 343 succeeded. But that’s my opinion.

How is taking a bunch of stuff that is either from or inspired by CoD and mashing it together with Halo "creating something based on their own inspirations? I’m not even really sure what your point was since you just pointed out a bunch of the CoD features in Halo 4 and then just agreed that they were from CoD in some way. And believe me, your opinion that they succeeded is not a very common one.

One day I met a guy who worshipped CoD. He said CoD is more skill-based then Halo. Stifling a laugh and trying not to whack him upside the head was pretty hard.

I once saw cartoonish drawings of the two games:

1)The picture of Halo had a bunch of spam meat cans running around and there were bullets and grenades everywhere.

  1. The Cod picture had a bunch of people prone inside of tents.

Needless to say I lol’d pretty hard at how accurate the pictures were!

2015: Halo 5 is out.

2014: COD? That was a thing.

Then there is Destiny which will replce COD as Halo’s rival. I know one thing that won’t change. PCs being better the consoles.

> How is taking a bunch of stuff that is either from or inspired by CoD and mashing it together with Halo "creating something based on their own inspirations? I’m not even really sure what your point was since you just pointed out a bunch of the CoD features in Halo 4 and then just agreed that they were from CoD in some way. And believe me, your opinion that they succeeded is not a very common one.

You clearly don’t know the difference between inspiration and appropriation.

It may not be on these forums, but who takes the forums seriously anyway? They’ve been filled with nothing but pessimistic hate threads since the release of every single Halo sequel (and prequel). People -Yoinking!- on the internet about Halo is not significant.

The majority of the people who agree with me are playing it right now, and that number massively outshines the same 20-50 people who hate the game on these forums, so try again.

The point obviously went over your head, so let me make it simple: Yes Halo 4 has elements inspired by Call of Duty, but it’s not Call of Duty, it’s Halo 4. Most of these elements and the way that they’re implemented do not “drag down” the franchise.

The original concept of Halo was inspired by the book Ringworld, doesn’t mean it’s ringworld. Bungie took inspiration of something that already existed and made something of their own. It happens. If you’re going to sit here and try tell me that because 343 looked at some things COD and other modern shooters have done and took their own spin on those ideas with their own ideas and how it would fit into the Halo formula and you think it’s ruining the game, then you’re not worth arguing with.

You like Halo 2 and 3 and you want the game to be just that with better graphics and no new gameplay elements. You can deny, but that’s what you and other Halo 4 haters want, and you know what? That’s absolutely fine, you’re completely entitled to express what you like and don’t like and your preferences. But Halo has moved on. You want some fresh, original ideas that haven’t been done before that will revolutionize Halo and make it successful? Come up with some ideas yourself, but they can’t be inspired by ANY other game at all. If you can’t, then stop crying and, I know those of you who are displeased with the game are tired of hearing this, and I’m sorry, but GO BACK TO HALO 3.

> > This morning I played a few matches of Halo 4 and unfortunately I got my butt stomped. I don’t know why I play in the mornings when I get home from work other than I really need my Halo fix. I just can’t get into the grove in the morning and mostly end up being a major hindrance to my team.
> >
> > So I decided to throw in my copy of CoD Black Ops II because I really don’t care about my K/D since I play it only for fun with my friends. Low and behold I was killed by campers, random thrown grenades, people hiding in dark corners, horrible spawns where I don’t think I got 3 steps, amongst other crazy things.
> >
> > So I really want to thank CoD for the friendly reminder as to why I love playing Halo 4, despite its issues. Now that 343 is making some of the much needed changes I appreciate it even more.
>
> What is this ‘Black Ops II’ you speak of?

It’s a game that sells WAAAY more than Halo and has a WAAAY bigger audience. Even though the gameplay is kinda meh.

> > Yes Halo despite its glaring issues is still worlds above cod. Even after I played them all, I still dont get what people saw in COD
>
> I hear you. I only play it because my friends like it. I don’t think they like that fact that you have to earn your kills in Halo. That is my best guess as to why they like the other series.

Or that ordnance isn’t a spawn killing apache/AC-130/attack dog/insert overpowered kill streak reward here.