Terrible Voice acting.

Well, I for one can agree that the voice acting in Reach…SUCKS!

I found there was only one type of effect with the voice, and that is when you can hear them through your com. Other then that, it sounds like you are stood in a sound proofed room when they are speaking to you. They sound very bland. I feel there was no effort put into it.

In the Halo 4 campaign, I would love to hear characters actually trying to shout over explosions, or sound out of breathe if they are under-fire. I would love to just here them have some sort of meaning to their voice.

What do you think?

I trust Marty that he achieved with the voice actors what he imagined. I don’t have any problems with the cast or technique.

I will agree that some of the voice acting in Halo: Reach was downright awful. Lacking in substance, emotion and delivery.

“Mayday… mayday… the Covenant is on Reach…
I repeat… the Covenant is on Reach…
…I’ve been hit.”

That was probably the worst example that I can think of, that’s offensive to my last two criticisms; emotion and delivery. Wasn’t the trooper who voiced those lines an actual Bungie employee as well? What’s done is done. But 343i can learn from this, I hope.

The voice acting has just gotten worse over the course of each Halo game IMO.

“To war.” - Halo 3
“Son of a gun!” - Halo 3 ODST
“Mayday. The Covenant is on Reach.” - Halo Reach.

Now the last one wouldn’t have been bad if the guy voice acting would have AT LEAST put some emotion into it. Rather than sound frightened/panicked/frustrated as he should have done, he sounded very calm, as if nothing was going on at all.

Now I’m not expecting top quality voice acting in Halo 4, but I’d like to hear them put more effort into it at the very least. I know that if I were voice acting, I’d put everything I’d have into it, because voice acting would be one of those things that I’d enjoy doing.

I’m glad you all agree.

IMO the voice acting, alone, could have helped make the Reach campaign that much more enthralling.

> The voice acting has just gotten worse over the course of each Halo game IMO.
>
> “To war.” - Halo 3
> “Son of a gun!” - Halo 3 ODST
> “Mayday. The Covenant is on Reach.” - Halo Reach.
>
> Now the last one wouldn’t have been bad if the guy voice acting would have AT LEAST put some emotion into it. Rather than sound frightened/panicked/frustrated as he should have done, he sounded very calm, as if nothing was going on at all.
>
> Now I’m not expecting top quality voice acting in Halo 4, but I’d like to hear them put more effort into it at the very least. I know that if I were voice acting, I’d put everything I’d have into it, because voice acting would be one of those things that I’d enjoy doing.

I’d hardly say “To War” or “Son of a Gun!” were bad voice acting. They were just bad scripting. But the voice acting in “Mayday, the Covenant is on Reach.” and “Copy that noble 1, did you say… Covenant???” were BAD. At least the other lines were given due emotion.

I thought Jorge and Kat were good.

Emile was okay, but I still think his “I’M READY!” bit sounded weird considering what had JUST happened to him (or more specifically, his lungs).

Jun was kinda… boring. I thought based on his write-up that his character was supposed to be overly talkative? I was expecting someone more excitable for that role.

Carter was the real stinker of the bunch. He sounded half awake in every scene, mumbled his lines in a bored fashion. Bad. I think they should have let Greg Grunberg do Carter’s voicework, they had him in the game anyway as some random trooper, and he’s got a lot more immediacy and emotion to his voice.

The Elites were cool throughout the game, apart from their first appearance where one roars in your face in Winter Contingency and it sounds like they lifted the sound effect from a bad monster movie.

The Sixes were pretty plain. I don’t think either really captured the lone wolf nature of the character.

“The Covenant is on Reach I repeat the Covenant is on Reach.” … you really thought that was good, Bungie?

I understand all of your dismay, but in my opinion they were just trying to emulate how actual military communication should sound. They’re not going to be panicked when speaking across the comm, especially a higher-up. They’re going to be calm.

Overall, Halo games have great voice acting but there are instances where the VA is bad.

Most of the bad comes from Reach unfortunately. Comm talk sounded too loud and not mixed correctly.

And as OP said, we need more emotional expressions like when a person is scared or trapped, etc. In Reach, none of them did any of that although their VA in normal conversations was excellent.

And marines (not so much Cortana and MC) should use profanity more like in Halo CE and 2, we all know they do in real life.

> > The voice acting has just gotten worse over the course of each Halo game IMO.
> >
> > “To war.” - Halo 3
> > “Son of a gun!” - Halo 3 ODST
> > “Mayday. The Covenant is on Reach.” - Halo Reach.
> >
> > Now the last one wouldn’t have been bad if the guy voice acting would have AT LEAST put some emotion into it. Rather than sound frightened/panicked/frustrated as he should have done, he sounded very calm, as if nothing was going on at all.
> >
> > Now I’m not expecting top quality voice acting in Halo 4, but I’d like to hear them put more effort into it at the very least. I know that if I were voice acting, I’d put everything I’d have into it, because voice acting would be one of those things that I’d enjoy doing.
>
> I’d hardly say “To War” or “Son of a Gun!” were bad voice acting. They were just bad scripting. But the voice acting in “Mayday, the Covenant is on Reach.” and “Copy that noble 1, did you say… Covenant???” were BAD. At least the other lines were given due emotion.

True. Bad scripting, bad voice acting… I’d like to see both gone in Halo 4.

> Well, I for one can agree that the voice acting in Reach…SUCKS!
>
> I found there was only one type of effect with the voice, and that is when you can hear them through your com. Other then that, it sounds like you are stood in a sound proofed room when they are speaking to you. They sound very bland. I feel there was no effort put into it.
>
> In the Halo 4 campaign, I would love to hear characters actually trying to shout over explosions, or sound out of breathe if they are under-fire. I would love to just here them have some sort of meaning to their voice.
>
> What do you think?

Just stop complaining >:[

Reach’s voice acting wasn’t good enough to sustain its dreadful story. Many of the voice actors were good, but they were just good. There were no standouts.

It’s sad that the most emotion-filled line in the game comes from some random trooper – and it’s not even a “real” emotion, it’s just urgency. (I’m talking about the end of Exodus: “You are clear for takeoff, I repeat, you are clear for takeoff – go now!”)

(And speaking of which, when are they gonna get their radio dialogue right? “I repeat” = artillery. “I say again” = I am saying something for the second time.)

> Emile was okay, but I still think his “I’M READY!” bit sounded weird considering what had JUST happened to him (or more specifically, his lungs).

He was stabbed in the gut, not he lungs. The line itself makes perfect sense if you read between the lines and notice the unspoken words: “to die”.

> Jun was kinda… boring. I thought based on his write-up that his character was supposed to be overly talkative? I was expecting someone more excitable for that role.

A few of his lines were good, but no… camaraderie… was built up with the character.

> Carter was the real stinker of the bunch. He sounded half awake in every scene, mumbled his lines in a bored fashion. Bad.

THAT.

> The Sixes were pretty plain. I don’t think either really captured the lone wolf nature of the character.

Probably by design, given the “HE IS YOU!” nature of the character.

> I will agree that some of the voice acting in Halo: Reach was downright awful. Lacking in substance, emotion and delivery.
>
> “Mayday… mayday… the Covenant is on Reach…
> I repeat… the Covenant is on Reach…
> …I’ve been hit.”
>
> That was probably the worst example that I can think of, that’s offensive to my last two criticisms; emotion and delivery. Wasn’t the trooper who voiced those lines an actual Bungie employee as well? What’s done is done. But 343i can learn from this, I hope.

Nope, it was crappy writing/direction, not voice acting. Why? Because the guy with those lines is a highly famous actor. He starred in the mega-hit TV mini-series Band of Brothers and has been known to give spectacular and powergul performances…when the writing allows him too.

> Reach’s voice acting wasn’t good enough to sustain its dreadful story. Many of the voice actors were good, but they were just good. There were no standouts.
>
> It’s sad that the most emotion-filled line in the game comes from some random trooper – and it’s not even a “real” emotion, it’s just urgency. (I’m talking about the end of Exodus: “You are clear for takeoff, I repeat, you are clear for takeoff – go now!”)
>
> (And speaking of which, when are they gonna get their radio dialogue right? “I repeat” = artillery. “I say again” = I am saying something for the second time.)
>
>
>
> > Emile was okay, but I still think his “I’M READY!” bit sounded weird considering what had JUST happened to him (or more specifically, his lungs).
>
> He was stabbed in the gut, not he lungs. The line itself makes perfect sense if you read between the lines and notice the unspoken words: “to die”.
>
>
>
> > Jun was kinda… boring. I thought based on his write-up that his character was supposed to be overly talkative? I was expecting someone more excitable for that role.
>
> A few of his lines were good, but no… camaraderie… was built up with the character.
>
>
>
> > Carter was the real stinker of the bunch. He sounded half awake in every scene, mumbled his lines in a bored fashion. Bad.
>
> THAT.
>
>
>
> > The Sixes were pretty plain. I don’t think either really captured the lone wolf nature of the character.
>
> Probably by design, given the “HE IS YOU!” nature of the character.

I’m pretty sure Emile ends up skewered through the back of the chest and hoisted into the air right down to the “hilt” or widened part of the sword. The sword comes out between his vertical grenade-belts rather than just above his hips, so unless it was a very precise strike he should be in punctured lung/diaphragm terretory. I have no fault with the line, I’m just surprised he could belt it out so loud and clear without coughing up blood.

Jun does get neglected in the story a great deal. He’s always away, and the one time you do get to spend any time with him, you’re on a sneaking mission for the most part.

Carter… You know, Until today, I didn’t know what he said at the start of Winter Contingency? In the falcons? First line of gameplay and he mumbles it. “Shoot down attempts are likely, so keep your distance”… I genuinely thought he said something like “Keep down the temperature lightly”.

The voice system and effects were terrible, and the writing was atrocious. But most of the actors did a pretty good job. Most of them. Well, some of them. I have a feeling the Directing for the Voice Actors was as much to blame as the horrible writing… just saying.

I agree.

“The Covenan is on Reachl; repeat, the Covenant is on Reach.” That was one of the worst pieces of coice acting I’ve seen since Halo 3’s “To War.”

At least Keyes put some emotion into that “line.” The Army Trooper sounded like he was a lifeless husk.

And then the Spartans… oh boy.

At least there was Jorge and Halsey, and the Army Troopers from Exodus.

Ya I agree I would love more detail in voices but it will be difficult because they are not always under fire so the voices will need to be timed just right

> Carter… You know, Until today, I didn’t know what he said at the start of Winter Contingency? In the falcons? First line of gameplay and he mumbles it. “Shoot down attempts are likely, so keep your distance”… I genuinely thought he said something like “Keep down the temperature lightly”.

LOLOLOLOL

I always though he said, “Shoot down the central light beams, so keep your distance.” I was like w.t.f.???