"Terms of Use" with [all] Waypoint clients.

Initial important disclaimer: I do not intend to breach in any manner the Terms of Use and other obligations endowed upon me without confirmation that my actions are allowed.

Question: Am I allowed to use an existing client as a framework for creating my own API for development of a personal-use-only Halo: Reach database? Specifically I mean:

343’s database >>> client extraction >>> I reverse engineer an API

I would then create my own database of matches, etc. so that I could manipulate the data and present it a friendlier manner.

If this is not allowed: This question may have already been answered but I was wondering if an API was going to be released? How about a weekly database dump (portions) as a public torrent? Live data isn’t as necessary yet…

(Plus I will keep it open source if this is not a breach of the Terms of Use)

Are you asking if you are allowed to do something like HaloTracker?

> Are you asking if you are allowed to do something like HaloTracker?

I suppose in a way yes. However there would a be a few differences (which is why I think this may be allowed):

(1) I would only use the same data request calls that a particular client is capable of; in other words I would not create a call for a particular data set or view that is not already in existence on a client.

(2) I would keep this private and for personal use only if required…unlike that website which provided a public service.

Perhaps with permissions, etc. this API I develop would be made public for sites like that to use… however I cannot see data fetching in this manner to be particularly friendly on such a large scale. (Really a SOAP request for example is needed)

> > Are you asking if you are allowed to do something like HaloTracker?
>
> I suppose in a way yes. However there would a be a few differences (which is why I think this may be allowed):
>
> (1) I would only use the same data request calls that a particular client is capable of; in other words I would not create a call for a particular data set or view that is not already in existence on a client.
>
> (2) I would keep this private and for personal use only if required…unlike that website which provided a public service.
>
> —
>
> Perhaps with permissions, etc. this API I develop would be made public for sites like that to use… however I cannot see data fetching in this manner to be particularly friendly on such a large scale. (Really a SOAP request for example is needed)

I advise giving WaypointWeb a PM, they will probably be able to give you a good reply for this.