Terminology needs to move forward...

Calling something a power weapon or saying it isn’t a power weapon doesn’t work anymore, from what I’ve seen it looks like we’re got a tiering that looks something like-

Top Tier- Sniper, Rockets, possibly Splaser, these are the game changing stuff that your whole team fights for control of the map, they only seem to drop periodically and alert the entire map when they do.

High Tier- SAW, Light Rifle, Scattershot, possibly the shotgun although I’ve heard conflicting information, Sticky Det, Railgun, Needler I think too?, this type of stuff is around the map or dropped in PODs depending on gametype, intentionally stronger than your average gun but these won’t make or break a match.

Mid Tier- Almost everything else. These are your primary weapons that you spawn with.

Bottom Tier- Your “secondary” weapons. They have their uses, but they’re primarily backups like they were intended to be. The Pistol and Plasma Pistol seem to fit here.

Yep sounds about right not sure about the light rifle though.

How about this:

Secondary
Primary
Power

You’ve got load-out weapons, ordnance weapons, and power weapons. They cover all the bases, it works fine.

Load-out classifies any weapon you can use in creating a load-out.

Ordnance are weapons that can be called in by personal PODs or are laying around on the maps.

Power weapons are the ones that have random spawns and the waypoints indicating where they spawn when they spawn.

I’m good with a fighting game type naming system.

> You’ve got load-out weapons, ordnance weapons, and power weapons. They cover all the bases, it works fine.

People keep confusing power weapons with the POD stuff. Shotguns in the past have been considered by some to be “power weapons”, so just best to leave that terminology behind.

Secondary = Back up gun, pretty bad but can still be used if you’re out of ammo or have to reload.
Primary = Standard weapon, good for all situations and something that will keep you alive, for a while.
Power weapon = The usual Halo style power weapons like shotguns and needler, thing that can deal great damage but is also somewhat easy to counter.

However, I can agree that we could use “heavy weapons” or “BTB weapons” for the weapons only used in the biggest battles, the most powerful ones, like Splaser or Rockets or Sniper, something with massive destructive force.

If you think about it its just due to majority opinion, and sometimes map design, a sword on midship let you rip everyone a new one, a rocket laucher made everyone your b***h, the splaser was good but not really game changing the red light always gave it away and you could just strafe and pause it avoid it.

Power weapons can only really be decided one we play it, the Sword is always a winner IMO the rocket laucher varies game to game and the SAW might shape up to be Gods Gift to Players, but I cant merit a reclassing or update to the hold fast term power weapon untill I find a Halo game without one.

> > You’ve got load-out weapons, ordnance weapons, and power weapons. They cover all the bases, it works fine.
>
> People keep confusing power weapons with the POD stuff. Shotguns in the past have been considered by some to be “power weapons”, so just best to leave that terminology behind.

Halo 2 I would challenge anyone to try and take my when I found some corridoors and a shotty, it was like weilding the hand of god, so it was a Halo 2 Power weapon, but as I have said Power weapons change game to game, the Grav Hammer was a contender in Halo 3 but it never had a HOG feel.

just my ten cent.