Terminals in halo 5

Dear 343,
I enjoyed trying to find the terminals in halo 4, but two things have come to my attention from them.

first off, in halo4 after you would collect the terminal in game, you would have to go to waypoint in order to view the video, and my internet is kinda slow and so this proccess is a bit anoying.So it would be nice if you placed the videos on disc, like on the main menu or theater.

Second, some of the terminals were too easy…but challenging, which is kinda good, but others were just impossible to find, i still didnt find the first one, or the last one, but every one in between in my opinion was just fine and awsome to search for.

Third, it would be nice if you increased the challenge on the easy terminals by forcing you to play heroioc difficulty or harder in order to be able to see these terminals

and fourth, If you guys are really really awsome, i mean outstanding, out of the blue, than it would be nice if you guys upgrade the terminal videos a bit to 3dimentional structures and characters, like in game, or push the envolope with trailer like graphics.

and last, kinda not on topic, but could you return the anylise and scan feature from halo CEA, i enjoy studying the models of the characters i scanned in
game and it sets more replayability for the campaign.

Thank you

I agree with the Terminals being on the disc.
I understand that there may not be room on the disc itself , but even so, it would be nice to steam them from the game menu than to have to go to waypoint to do it.

I’m not too fussed about the art style of the terminals, especially the one relating to the Forerunners.

During the GDC, this was one of the “mistakes” 343i admitted to making with Halo 4. I don’t think it’ll be a problem in the next games.

thank you vektor, very useful info

> During the GDC, this was one of the “mistakes” 343i admitted to making with Halo 4. I don’t think it’ll be a problem in the next games.

What exactly was the mistake? That they neglected to allow players to view the terminals in-game? They should have known this right from the get-go. You can’t make these kinds of “mistakes”.

> What exactly was the mistake? That they neglected to allow players to view the terminals in-game? They should have known this right from the get-go. You can’t make these kinds of “mistakes”.

No, the mistake was that the storytelling wasn’t inclusive enough. They relied too much on players already having read certain books in order to understand the story. Then they ran out of space on the disc, which was why the terminals are only available on Waypoint. Both mistakes were admitted to.

> <mark>No, the mistake was that the storytelling wasn’t inclusive enough.</mark> They relied too much on players already having read certain books in order to understand the story. Then they ran out of space on the disc, which was why the terminals are only available on Waypoint. Both mistakes were admitted to.

Isn’t that the story writers’ fault? I mean how hard is it for the Librarian to say “Guess what? The didact was driven insane and thats why he wants to kill you all”? You’d think that would add a bit of incentive to the character…And don’t even get me started about the Storm Covies!

Here’s an idea - why don’t they actually implement character dialogue in the next game that would give out some useful information, instead of getting the audience to do some extensive digging on certain points that anyone would consider THE MAIN PRIORITY!!?? Not bashing, but man it is frustrating when they can’t get the most simple things right!

And if you’re going to run out of disk space, wouldn’t it be smart to wait for the next gen console so that you have enough disk space TO FINISH THE DAMN GAME???

> Isn’t that the story writers’ fault? I mean how hard is it for the Librarian to say “Guess what? The didact was driven insane and thats why he wants to kill you all”? You’d think that would add a bit of incentive to the character…And don’t even get me started about the Storm Covies!
>
> Here’s an idea - why don’t they actually implement character dialogue in the next game that would give out some useful information, instead of getting the audience to do some extensive digging on certain points that anyone would consider THE MAIN PRIORITY!!?? Not bashing, but man it is frustrating when they can’t get the most simple things right!
>
> And if you’re going to run out of disk space, wouldn’t it be smart to wait for the next gen console so that you have enough disk space TO FINISH THE DAMN GAME???

I am not really concerned about whose fault it is. I think it is more important that they acknowledged there was an issue, and that in itself, bodes well for the terminal and the story for Halo 5.

Yes, it may seem easy to you, but in the grand scheme of things and given the time constraints they had I don’t believe anything with making Halo 4 was easy.

Finally here is a little quote for the VP of Microsoft:

> “I was committed to getting Halo 4 done last year, and there was no way we were going to turn around with 343 a full Halo game in a year. So that was the plan we set on. I feel good about that.”
>
> “A discussion around having a Halo game at launch, a true Halo at launch, meaning like a Halo 4 or 5-size game, would have been something we’d have had to start two or three years ago. We had the discussion, and we thought having Halo 4 come out when it came out from 343 and having them really land their first full version of Halo that they developed internally would be great for the 360 customers, great for 343 in shipping something.

We can always look back, but I think it is more productive to look forward.

In terms of the terminals, I look forward to more difficult locations to find and watching them as soon as I find them. The complexity of the story can go either way for me. I appreciate that Halo’s story line is not that easily adaptable, but I believe I am in the minority on that one.

> I agree with the Terminals being on the disc.
> I understand that there may not be room on the disc itself , but even so, it would be nice to steam them from the game menu than to have to go to waypoint to do it.
>
> I’m not too fussed about the art style of the terminals, especially the one relating to the Forerunners.

Agree, I loved how the terminals were in H4 and HCEA (minus the need to go to waypoint)! I would also love it if they made the terminals or at least some interactive a little like what Ubisoft does with the Assassins Creed games where you solve some puzzles to fully unlock the hidden lore.

Now that Xbox One games are played through Blu-Ray discs that have 6x the memory space of DVD’s, I don’t think having the terminal videos included on-disc will be a problem. As for the artistic decision to have terminal videos be animated and look hand drawn, I think they should remain this way. Terminal videos give us insight into the past of the Forerunner so I believe this animated form fits the role just fine.