Temporary Playlists

Playlists like infection and action sack, featured in Reach as full-time playlists (in my opinion), draw population from other playlists, and distract from the serious competitive shooting aspect of the game, as well as completely destroying the story behind the training of Spartan IV’s in Halo 4 (as these types of games have nothing to do with Halo’s regular combat.

I do believe, however, that restriction of all the amazing custom options and gametypes that Halo 3 and Reach gave us would be an awful decision, so gametypes like those mentioned above should remain in custom games.

In Halo 4’s matchmaking, I think that these should not be offered as full-time playlists, but released on weekends like in Halo 3 (playing grifball as a part of double-exp weekend was far more enjoyable than playing it in Reach. Imo, this was mainly because double-exp weekend made me feel like I was participating in a community event, where everyone was playing just for the hell of it) , with a good incentive to play them, like earning more Spartan Points. In Halo 4, these playlists should also receive updates, in the form of more varied gametypes. For example:

Infection should include gametypes where a team of humans must reach an objective. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Q1xO1ii5k&list=PL15032D57BE4300A3&index=2&feature=plcp

Infection should allow weapon pickups, as long as maps are specially configured for it (also, humans should not be able to pick up swords, maybe have a “players drop weapons on death” custom option that could be turned off)

Infection should include gametypes where teams of humans defend a particular point (such as a complex of buildings), unable to leave it, while zombies swarm in from outside.

Grifball should offer far more Spartan points for actually scoring than simply participating.

Action Sack should include new gametypes like:
Avalanche: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=i4rEJqk3fVw#t=16s
Cat and Mouse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL15032D57BE4300A3&v=0nUpMGh17tQ
Team Hotshot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TMCTJhoOYS8
Castle Wars (symmetrical CTF with swords and short-ranged guns only, with low player damage): http://www.forgehub.com/forum/reach-competitive-maps/132247-castle-siege.html
Races, in either Warthogs or mongeese
Bansheeball: (sorry, I couldn’t find a video of it)

So what do you think? Yay, or Nay?

Although I agree with you saying Grifball was more fun in Halo 3 than Reach, I think the reason for that is the engine, not what time of the week it was offered.

Other than that, absolutely not. Even this late into Reach’s lifespan, I have NEVER had trouble finding Team Slayer or BTB matches. I don’t know what playlist you think needs more population, but pointing the finger at Infection and Action Sack is NOT the way to go about it.

> Although I agree with you saying Grifball was more fun in Halo 3 than Reach, I think the reason for that is the engine, not what time of the week it was offered.
>
> Other than that, absolutely not. Even this late into Reach’s lifespan, I have NEVER had trouble finding Team Slayer or BTB matches. I don’t know what playlist you think needs more population, but pointing the finger at Infection and Action Sack is NOT the way to go about it.

Sorry, I meant this to be related to their inclusion in Halo 4. I’ll edit my post. Also, population of other playlists is less of a problem on the matchmaking side of things, and more psychological. It’s kind of disheartening when I see more people playing Infection than Team Objective on any given day.

I knew what you meant. Yes, they should bring back Double XP weekends. Super Jackpots aren’t quite cutting it.

But it sounds like you’ve got a bone to pick with Grifball and Infection for the sole reason that they’re taking POTENTIAL population away from more competitive playlists.

I say potential, because if the playlists I wanted were only temporary, I wouldn’t go to another playlist, I’d most likely take the disc out of the tray. If others feel the same way, it wouldn’t help the population of the competitive playlists, but rather HARM the population of matchmaking altogether.

> I knew what you meant. Yes, they should bring back Double XP weekends. Super Jackpots aren’t quite cutting it.
>
> But it sounds like you’ve got a bone to pick with Grifball and Infection for the sole reason that they’re taking POTENTIAL population away from more competitive playlists.
>
> I say potential, because if the playlists I wanted were only temporary, I wouldn’t go to another playlist, I’d most likely take the disc out of the tray. If others feel the same way, it wouldn’t help the population of the competitive playlists, but rather HARM the population of matchmaking altogether.

Though I disagree on whether or not making Infection, Action Sack, and Grifball temporary would harm population as a whole; don’t you think that, regardless of how these playlists are implemented that they are in need of updates? Infection seems to have lost its novelty (one of the reasons I want these kind of gametypes to be temporary, but that’s not the point), and I think Infection playlists could benefit greatly from more varied gametypes, A human holdout, for example, or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6JQagRG1G8&feature=BFa&list=PL15032D57BE4300A3
or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZW4-MkHW0Hg#t=25s

Action Sack and Grifball could receive similar updates in terms of gametypes, which I think would make them more enjoyable.