Teleporters and Halo 4

This is probably something that not a lot of players will care about, but I thought I’d see who wants to discuss it anyway. In my opinion, the teleporter receiver nodes in Halo: Reach were a slight step backwards since Halo 3.

This is due to the lack of a pre-determined output direction on any receiver nodes. In other words, the player exits receiver nodes in an inconsistent direction.

It’s a null issue when the sender node is placed up against a wall of some sort… as this forces the player to always enter it from one direction, and therefore exit from a consistent direction. But when the sender node is placed more openly, the output direction is a lot more uncontrollable. In fact… it can’t be controlled at all. You could have a receiver node placed up against a wall, only to have a player exit poised looking at that wall, instead of the open space which you wanted them to be aimed towards.

In Halo 3, an orange light identified the output path of the player, resulting in a much more professional setup of receiver nodes. I would hope Halo 4 returns to this kind of system. Please thank and/or comment if you agree. Or even comment if you disagree!

Cheers!

TL;DR:
With Reach, the direction you enter teleporters changes the direction you exit, making exit paths uncontrollable unless you artifically influence the player’s point of entrance in the sender node. In Halo 3, you could simply choose their exit path, resulting in more professionally setup teleporter systems.

the design of reach’s teleporters are more fluid with its graphics, but a little light to show the front wouldn’t kill anyone…

Reach’s teleporter mechanics were definitely a huge step backwards, though the visual design of the teleporters was noticeably improved.

> Reach’s teleporter mechanics were definitely a huge step backwards, though the visual design of the teleporters was noticeably improved.

This, it looked visually impressive but didn’t function up to my expectations.

There definitely needs to be improvement in Halo 4.

> the design of reach’s teleporters are more fluid with its graphics, but a little light to show the front wouldn’t kill anyone…

It’s less a point of design. But a point of mechanics. Reach’s visual design was actually nicer than Halo 3’s in my opinion hehe. But gameplay-wise, they were not so good.

I agree. It was especially annoying in Forge.

I completely agree.

Indeed. I always tried… and never worked.