Team Throwdown and the DMR

I strongly oppose nerfing the DMR. However, there is a significant amount of players who want it to be nerfed and another portion of the players who don’t. I am not a DMR user, but nerfing the DMR might split the community. However, Team Throwdown shows that the DMR doesn’t have to be nerfed. There are DMRs scattered throughout the maps. When players pick them up, it gives them KINDA of an advantage. However, they aren’t unstoppable and can easily be taken out with the Battle Rifle. The solution is simple, have DMRs scattered throughout the entire maps so that players can pick them up so that way nobody could complain.

I agree and also think that’s what they should of done with the boltshot instead of nerfing the radius.

…Or just get rid of it as the DMR damages map flow, nobody who is a real competitive player wants it and it means less weapons cluttering up the maps/sandbox.

> …Or just get rid of it as the DMR damages map flow, nobody who is a real competitive player wants it and it means less weapons cluttering up the maps/sandbox.

I am extremely competitive and I want them.

I agree with OP as long as you remove it from loadouts… which they won’t so nerfIng the dmr is the only way.

They wouldn’t have to nerf the dmr if it wasn’t a loadout option. Not complaining about it, just saying. I actually don’t mind it much, I mastered it a while ago and haven’t used it since; I’ve been focused on mastering other stuff, mastered the BR, now working on the AR. Anyways to get back on topic… I do agree with you, but for regular infinity slayer, in it’s current state it’s too versatile for a gun that you can carry whenever you want.

In close quarters competitive maps the DMR does not need to be nerfed, in large open competitive maps the DMR needs to be more inaccurate, have more bloom or have a lower fire rate. This is to encourage map flow and maintain a smooth fast paced Halo.

OP, the thing is that the DMR is too effective in situations it isn’t meant for. Those situations often being ones where a BR should win.

The DMR is a Designated <mark>MARKSMAN</mark>(AKA a SNIPER) Rifle. Meant for longer range engagements. The Battle Rifle is an assault weapon meant for short-medium range engagements.

Take Haven for example. That map has very few long sight lines. However, it is not uncommon for people to be using the DMR in the short, narrow passages where a Battle Rifle would be a more suitable weapon.

A good example of a “DMR suitable” map would be Ragnarok. Nice long sight lines, big open areas, and one thing the DMR is supposed to have in order to outshine a BR: DISTANCE.

> In close quarters competitive maps the DMR does not need to be nerfed, in large open competitive maps the DMR needs to be more inaccurate, have more bloom or have a lower fire rate. This is to encourage map flow and maintain a smooth fast paced Halo.

this is my problem with it. it discourages movement on the larger more open maps.

> > In close quarters competitive maps the DMR does not need to be nerfed, in large open competitive maps the DMR needs to be more inaccurate, have more bloom or have a lower fire rate. This is to encourage map flow and maintain a smooth fast paced Halo.
>
> this is my problem with it. it discourages movement on the larger more open maps.

Yes. Halo 3 Valhalla was fun because nobody had a DMR. They had Battle Rifles. Honestly, Halo 4 is much funner with everyone using the Battle Rifle. I’ve played only a couple matches when this was the case, but they were the best.

> OP, the thing is that the DMR is too effective in situations it isn’t meant for. Those situations often being ones where a BR should win.
>
> The DMR is a Designated MARKSMAN(AKA a SNIPER) Rifle. Meant for longer range engagements. The Battle Rifle is an assault weapon meant for short-medium range engagements.
>
> Take Haven for example. That map has very few long sight lines. However, it is not uncommon for people to be using the DMR in the short, narrow passages where a Battle Rifle would be a more suitable weapon.
>
> <mark>A good example of a “DMR suitable” map would be Ragnarok. Nice long sight lines, big open areas, and one thing the DMR is supposed to have in order to outshine a BR: DISTANCE.</mark>

And this is exactly why the DMR damages map flow. The DMR prevents players from moving around in the open. It encourages camping and the use of invisibility as a perk. It stops players from using all of the map as they can’t go out in the open without the fear of getting shredded by the DMR and having no cover. Why would you ever want to move when you have a sniper rifle which can suppress any other gun in the game if you shoot first? HOW is this competitive?! HOW is this beneficial for gameplay?!

It works fine on small maps with narrow lines of sight and lots of cover, but put it on a large open map like Ragnarock and you end up with a camp fest with everyone sticking to the sides of the map and avoiding the open.

The only way to fix this gun is to either lower the bullet mag and make it less accurate (bloom or otherwise) or decrease its RoF and accuracy (bloom or otherwise). Either way the accuracy needs to go just so people will start moving around the maps properly again. I’d rather just see it gone and be done with it.

Not sure how anyone except the ones that like to abuse it would not approve of a slight nerf to its rate of fire.A RoF nerf would ensure that it would not dominate every range, but let it still dominate at long range, where it should be only.The fact that it can easily beat anything with little effort at any range is the problem.A RoF nerf would allow short to mid range weapons to have the advantage against the DMR which is only fair.At long range it would still dominate as it should, and i don’t see how anyone could argue against that.

The DMR also has outrageous bullet magnetism.There are video’s where people show just how much, sorry i do not have a link but you can google it.Its magnetism is so severe that you can literally have the reticule completely off someone and not red and it will still hit.This has been proven.

In short, nerf the DMR’s RoF and bullet magnetism to keep it in its niche and not everywhere in between with no downside.Which currently the DMR has no downsides to its use no matter the situation.You have to a terrible player to miss with that gun.Since the DMR’s bullet magnetism simply does not allow missing, this has been proven.I have used it and it is very easy to hit with every round, in short to long distance compared to the other precision rifles.

I don’t mind strong guns in FPS games but they need to be balanced by recoil,bloom,ROF,and anything to increase difficulty of use.Only rewarding in the hands of a skilled player.