Team Soda (Halo machinima)

Team Soda is a upcoming machinima created by Kumi Soda.
Videos will be uploaded every Saturday and you can view them on are Youtube or Facebook pages as well as are website.
You can find links to those under the trailer link.
Click the text below to be taken to the trailer.

Team Soda Trailer

Oh Dear… Where do I begin with this? (This is towards the Director of the Machinima)

OVERVIEW:

• You use Windows Movie Maker to create the Font and placing all the film clips together which severly renders your ability to tell a story well since you have no tools at your arsenal that can change the lighting, the mis-en-scene and the dynamic sounds either. Using this piece of free software has already put the Machinima Trailer at a huge disadvantage.

• The Typography used was the Default Setting for Windows Movie Maker which my guess is the Arial Font. Arial is a big no-no when creating typography since that is the most plain, bland and simple out of the lot and can be compared to Times New Roman. There are also a few hints of Spelling Mistakes such as “There Where Rebels” and the fact that you overuse the Uppercase Letters and use them for every word. Only the beginning of sentences and nouns should preferably have beginning Uppercase Letters. I would have expected to have a result like this instead. “There were the Insurrectionists…”.

• The story from what has been painted looks to be untidy and filled with infinite amount of plot holes. After the events of Halo 3, Humanity goes into a state of recovery and discovery. They start to examine the Forerunner Technology and assimilate it to their own uses just like the Covenant Conglomerate used to do. Humanity will be or is considered a Tier 2 Species. Your saying that after the Covenant have been defeated, these so called Super Squad Team fight of an even greater amount of Insurrectionists. Where would the Innies even come from? Most if not all of the Outer Colonies were glassed and destroyed. Then judging from the trailer, we get the emphasis that the Sangheili will play a pivitol role. But I can hardly see them getting a well-developed and narrative-driven set of ideals. Sangheili/Elites/Dinosaurs are just cannon-fodder for our EPIC SPARTAN GEARS DELTA SQUAD MEN. Honestly, this Machinima looks like a Clan or a Group trying to fall under the illusion that they are the greater then everyone else. I did it. I called it King and Friends. I wouldn’t want to go back to that.

• The Body Acting was shoddy. There were so many paused and confusion moments between the Body Actors that it killed the feeling that these players were living and breathing people and not just some Xbox Live Players using Halo: Reach Avatars to roleplay as such. Seeing this heavily affected how I interpreted the characters competence and I just shuddered to think that so many Machinima Videos go down this route.

• Finally, your audio is messed up. I can hardly hear a word from the Game Audio such as Assault Rifles firing and Plasma Mortars being thrown since the music overpowers it too vastly. It really distracts me since I’m wearing Headphones and I can hear the sound creeping up in my head but it just gets drowned in the song.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

No sorts of Cinematic Elements or Compulsion to watch it. What we have here simply is a group of Roleplay Sessions caught using the Director’s Capture Card. The Director seems to want to imply that his group are unique and unstoppable. What’s the point in watching a story if you know how its going to end? Honestly, I’ve seen worse but these just seem very lazily built together.

1/5

> Oh Dear… Where do I begin with this? (This is towards the Director of the Machinima)
>
> OVERVIEW:
>
> - You use Windows Movie Maker to create the Font and placing all the film clips together which severly renders your ability to tell a story well since you have no tools at your arsenal that can change the lighting, the mis-en-scene and the dynamic sounds either. Using this piece of free software has already put the Machinima Trailer at a huge disadvantage.
>
> - The Typography used was the Default Setting for Windows Movie Maker which my guess is the Arial Font. Arial is a big no-no when creating typography since that is the most plain, bland and simple out of the lot and can be compared to Times New Roman. There are also a few hints of Spelling Mistakes such as “There Where Rebels” and the fact that you overuse the Uppercase Letters and use them for every word. Only the beginning of sentences and nouns should preferably have beginning Uppercase Letters. I would have expected to have a result like this instead. “There were the Insurrectionists…”.
>
> - The story from what has been painted looks to be untidy and filled with infinite amount of plot holes. After the events of Halo 3, Humanity goes into a state of recovery and discovery. They start to examine the Forerunner Technology and assimilate it to their own uses just like the Covenant Conglomerate used to do. Humanity will be or is considered a Tier 2 Species. Your saying that after the Covenant have been defeated, these so called Super Squad Team fight of an even greater amount of Insurrectionists. Where would the Innies even come from? Most if not all of the Outer Colonies were glassed and destroyed. Then judging from the trailer, we get the emphasis that the Sangheili will play a pivitol role. But I can hardly see them getting a well-developed and narrative-driven set of ideals. Sangheili/Elites/Dinosaurs are just cannon-fodder for our EPIC SPARTAN GEARS DELTA SQUAD MEN. Honestly, this Machinima looks like a Clan or a Group trying to fall under the illusion that they are the greater then everyone else. I did it. I called it King and Friends. I wouldn’t want to go back to that.
>
> - The Body Acting was shoddy. There were so many paused and confusion moments between the Body Actors that it killed the feeling that these players were living and breathing people and not just some Xbox Live Players using Halo: Reach Avatars to roleplay as such. Seeing this heavily affected how I interpreted the characters competence and I just shuddered to think that so many Machinima Videos go down this route.
>
> - Finally, your audio is messed up. I can hardly hear a word from the Game Audio such as Assault Rifles firing and Plasma Mortars being thrown since the music overpowers it too vastly. It really distracts me since I’m wearing Headphones and I can hear the sound creeping up in my head but it just gets drowned in the song.
>
>
> FINAL THOUGHTS:
>
> No sorts of Cinematic Elements or Compulsion to watch it. What we have here simply is a group of Roleplay Sessions caught using the Director’s Capture Card. The Director seems to want to imply that his group are unique and unstoppable. What’s the point in watching a story if you know how its going to end? Honestly, I’ve seen worse but these just seem very lazily built together.
>
> 1/5

Thank you for your creative criticism.
We do use movie maker for are final build of the videos however we use many editors before then.
I also only used the basic movie maker font for this trailer and are next video promo.
The reason we used uppercase letters to begin each word was to captivate the eye, this is only done in the trailer and promo as well.
Also the reason we used rebels instead of insurrectionists was because not everyone is aware of the full halo story or even familiar with that word while rebels is more main stream.
The machinima is set in an alternative reality, i know that’s a bit overdone but for the story we are going to tell it is a requirement.
The machinima is also set on one of the outer colonies that’s status is currently unknown.
I agree that the body acting is bad at times, some times it is because of controller failure but most of the time it is because of bad acting.
As for the sound it is actually perfectly fine, we muted all sound from the clips so it would not overlap with the music.
If you are hearing any creeping up sounds that is probably from the song.
As for your final thoughts, that is not the case.
This is focused around a single group however they are far from indestructible.

I know there where many faults with this trailer as there are with every trailer for everything (just look at dead island).
And to forewarn you yes the promo wont make much sense until after the release of all the episodes.

To tell you the truth the trailer and the promo where last minute thoughts and we hope you would keep your judgment strictly to the trailer and develop a unique opinion to the actual series.

I would also like to point out that the writing is a bit poor in the first few episodes along with the video.
The video quality problems get fixed by episode 3 however the audio problems sadly don’t get completely fixed until episode 8.
The poor writing is because we didn’t really know where the story was heading however by episode 6 we did and we even rewrote the entire back story so keep that in mind if you watch the show.

Thank you again for your creative criticism and i hope to hear your thoughts after watching the first episode.

Trailers are there to entice and captivate their audiences. People release trailers to get their audiences hyped up for the actual product. If the trailer isn’t good enough or is severly lacking then your doing something wrong.

Its no good trying to tell me the plot and how intricate it is because that isn’t going to change how I felt about watching. Trailers should not be a last minute thing. They should be as cherished as the main product itself.

Here is the Team Soda Promo.
Click the text to watch.
(we understand it may be confusing for awhile)
Team Soda Promo

Team Soda Episode One
Click the link below to watch
Team Soda Episode One

Team Soda Episode Two, “A Detour”.
Click the text below to watch.
Team Soda Episode Two

Team Soda Episode Three, “Wonder”
Team Soda Episode Three

Hey man, thought i’d give your Machinima a review after watching Episode One.

PLOT

The previous poster outlined the incongruities with the plot, but after seeing your disclaimer at the beginning of the video, I already knew that this video wouldn’t be canon with the Halo story.

So, the story centres around a troop of four Spartan soldiers who go under the banner of ‘Team Soda’. From what I gathered, UNSC forces on ‘Roost’ randomly received a batch of instructions which would allow them to create Spartan Super-soldiers. In all honesty, this seems a bit lazy. You could’ve easily outlined how they had taken it from the Insurrectionists in the opening text, or even elaborated on it further in the film.

The UNSC then ‘create a new variant of the drug’, allowing them to create Spartans. This is partially confusing, since the original instructions already allowed them to do this. After reading on, I realised that you are basically altering the already tried and tested Spartan formula. You could’ve worded this better.

Besides the few spelling errors and bland voice acting during the opening, the video begins pretty well, I like how all four of the main characters are stood facing one another in the main room. It was a bit hard to follow why the main character chose to exfil his own memory, and even harder when you were fighting the Covenant in your own base (Are these the Insurrectionists?), and the video seemed to end abruptly. However, I did like how the team split into two groups, possibly creating two different story arcs? I guess I will have to find out when I watch your other episodes.

VIDEO

The quality is quite poor. It’s fuzzy and grainy, but not un-watchable. I won’t be too harsh here, I don’t expect every budding director to have top of the line equipment, that would be unfair of me.

SOUND

Music choice was poor, and so was the voice acting. The lead character was bland and uninteresting to listen to, whilst the music never once properly faded into the background when it was finished.

OVERVIEW

I have to agree with the original poster, this Machinima did seem like it was ‘King & friends’. I would like to see more involvement of the other characters, heck, I didn’t even catch any of there names.

If I could constructively criticize you here for a moment, I would say to put more emotion into voice acting (without taking yourself too serious), tighten up your plot, spell-check your text, choice less overbearing music and develop each character.

Good effort though man, was an interesting watch. I will keep an eye out for future episodes.

I think this was an alright machinima. The quality was kind of bad. It was fuzzy which made the videos less enjoyable. I also thought the voice acting was sub-par. Overall you did a great job though! better than I could ever do.

> Hey man, thought i’d give your Machinima a review after watching Episode One.
>
> PLOT
>
> The previous poster outlined the incongruities with the plot, but after seeing your disclaimer at the beginning of the video, I already knew that this video wouldn’t be canon with the Halo story.
>
> So, the story centres around a troop of four Spartan soldiers who go under the banner of ‘Team Soda’. From what I gathered, UNSC forces on ‘Roost’ randomly received a batch of instructions which would allow them to create Spartan Super-soldiers. In all honesty, this seems a bit lazy. You could’ve easily outlined how they had taken it from the Insurrectionists in the opening text, or even elaborated on it further in the film.
>
> The UNSC then ‘create a new variant of the drug’, allowing them to create Spartans. This is partially confusing, since the original instructions already allowed them to do this. After reading on, I realised that you are basically altering the already tried and tested Spartan formula. You could’ve worded this better.
>
> Besides the few spelling errors and bland voice acting during the opening, the video begins pretty well, I like how all four of the main characters are stood facing one another in the main room. It was a bit hard to follow why the main character chose to exfil his own memory, and even harder when you were fighting the Covenant in your own base (Are these the Insurrectionists?), and the video seemed to end abruptly. However, I did like how the team split into two groups, possibly creating two different story arcs? I guess I will have to find out when I watch your other episodes.
>
> VIDEO
>
> The quality is quite poor. It’s fuzzy and grainy, but not un-watchable. I won’t be too harsh here, I don’t expect every budding director to have top of the line equipment, that would be unfair of me.
>
> SOUND
>
> Music choice was poor, and so was the voice acting. The lead character was bland and uninteresting to listen to, whilst the music never once properly faded into the background when it was finished.
>
> OVERVIEW
>
> I have to agree with the original poster, this Machinima did seem like it was ‘King & friends’. I would like to see more involvement of the other characters, heck, I didn’t even catch any of there names.
>
> If I could constructively criticize you here for a moment, I would say to put more emotion into voice acting (without taking yourself too serious), tighten up your plot, spell-check your text, choice less overbearing music and develop each character.
>
> Good effort though man, was an interesting watch. I will keep an eye out for future episodes.

I made a post on are site on the technical issues. The fuzziness is mostly just in the first two episodes, as for the voice acting this is all of are first times and for most of us gets better as the episodes go on. The memory extraction should have been explained better, i agree, soda 4 was actually extracting the computers memory, this was going to be a big part of the original story, however, that has since changed. the new reason for this extraction is simply The Cole Protocol, but i will admit that is just because i cant think of any legitimate reasons to keep that in there. The names were not in the first episode because we wanted people to know them by there numbers to start off with, however, you will learn the names of the characters as the show progresses. I agree that the wording in the intro is confusing and the way the instructions are found is lazy, however, i feel like its like zombies, do you honestly care to much on how the zombie infection got made? And lastly for the music, i again agree we originally had a different feel for the series and unfortunately didn’t rewrite it till after episode three had been made and didn’t change the feel until after episode five.

All in all i know there are problems with the series, especially the first few episodes, and in truth i would postpone it if i could, however we started this in July if not June of last year and are still not finished, it was time to upload. I am greatfull for all the feedback because it will help us with later projects and i realize that the fact that i have to explain parts of the story isn’t a good thing and i hope that i wont have to later on.

Team Soda Episode Four, “Preparation”
Team Soda Episode Four

Team Soda Episode Five, “The Mission”
Click the link below to watch.
Team Soda Episode Five

Team Soda Episode Six, “The Backup”
Team Soda Episode Six

Team Soda Episode Seven, “Reminiscence”
Team Soda Episode Seven

Team Soda Episode Eight is delayed for an unknown amount of time

trailer looks ok. i like the music though.

Hey, just so you guys know, we have officially stopped the machinima.

We have also taken down all old episodes. Here is why http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDYfz2kv88I