Team Slayer CSR

So why has the team slayer csr, the only reason I am still playing H4, been reset. Why reset everyone’s csr to change the way you earn csr. Why change it at all. Has all the time I have put into building my csr up really just been thrown away. What is the point and why should I even play Team Slayer, or Halo 4 at all for that matter, anymore if the last 6 months I have been playing (I almost strictly play mm and slayer)is just wiped from my record. I do not understand the point of this, and how it is a positive or intelligent thing to do.

A Team Based slayer system is what it should have been in the first place (Team Slayer is a Team game). I understand your frustration however it does make sense. The individual CSR system kind of sucks. I can go 20 kills and 25 deaths, lose the game and rank up just because I got a lot of points.

According to Halo Tracker you were a 41 (not yet updated) which is very respectful. However you make out as if you played a lot to get there. I played a matter of games and hit the 41 and I’m nothing better than the over average player which is a reason why I tend to avoid TS and play to my stronger points like SWAT. The system is purely based on the levels of the opponents you play regardless of whether you win or lose which is kind of stupid.

I guess it’s also going to keep players coming back to get their 50 (its reset every month or something) in order to be in the top CSR 200.

Now that you are more experienced than when you started, you can do a road to 50 easily, or at least to your previous CSR since it should show your real skill. Just have fun. Why do people have always to complain with everyting that 343 does?!

I hit my 43 last night and I have a friend who is a 12 I play with, he is terrible but He’s my best friend, so I am constantly trying to look out for two people, my other friend I play with is ridiculously good and always smashes everyone on the team in points. Secondly I hit my 42 last night and was going to go for my 43 today since he isn’t online. 3rd I have 26618 kills and 21584 deaths with 2000 games completed in slayer, if I’m correct. Also it doesn’t matter if you think I’m good or not, I busted my -Yoink- for my rank and now it’s just gone. What’s the point of playing if my stats reset every two months. I hated arena for that exact reason in reach and I didn’t play arena. If the csr needed to be fixed shouldn’t that have been done before now? It’s this far into the life of the game might as well keep it or at least not erase everyone’s work when they fix THEIR mistake.

> Now that you are more experienced than when you started, you can do a road to 50 easily, or at least to your previous CSR since it should show your real skill. Just have fun. Why do people have always to complain with everyting that 343 does?!

I worked for it. If you lost you job and everything you own, would you want to hear that? No, I have put a lot of time into this game, and would like for all of that not to be just trashed. As for people complaining, well my guess is if they would quit making ignorant choices and/or listen to the community from day one it wouldn’t be an issue.

> So why has the team slayer csr, the only reason I am still playing H4, been reset. Why reset everyone’s csr to change the way you earn csr. Why change it at all. Has all the time I have put into building my csr up really just been thrown away. What is the point and why should I even play Team Slayer, or Halo 4 at all for that matter, anymore if the last 6 months I have been playing (I almost strictly play mm and slayer)is just wiped from my record. I do not understand the point of this, and how it is a positive or intelligent thing to do.

Perhaps for a more ideal, fresh start for all?

> > Now that you are more experienced than when you started, you can do a road to 50 easily, or at least to your previous CSR since it should show your real skill. Just have fun. Why do people have always to complain with everyting that 343 does?!
>
> I worked for it. If you lost you job and everything you own, would you want to hear that? No, I have put a lot of time into this game, and would like for all of that not to be just trashed. As for people complaining, well my guess is if they would quit making ignorant choices and/or listen to the community from day one it wouldn’t be an issue.

So you worked for it, then work again. It’s not a big deal, this is not your job, you’re not gonna starve cause you got back to 0. Things got updated cause, before the csr wasn’t working as it really should so you would play a game as a csr 20 against a 50, as I understand that won’t happen now. So because there is people with csr that really doesn’t show their true skill, cause as I said before there was no team selection based on csr, which can help a lot for boosting, then it’s perfectly normal that they reset csr so that everyone is back to 0. If you’re that invested in having a 50 and you’re really that good, then don’t worry, you’ll have it in no time. And for your remarks about the community, it’s the community that is bad, not 343. It’s simple, if you don’t enjoy what halo 4 has to offer then head back to 3 or reach, and if all the people that do nothing but complain all day did the same, then halo 3 and halo reach would be overpopulated in no time

> > > Now that you are more experienced than when you started, you can do a road to 50 easily, or at least to your previous CSR since it should show your real skill. Just have fun. Why do people have always to complain with everyting that 343 does?!
> >
> > I worked for it. If you lost you job and everything you own, would you want to hear that? No, I have put a lot of time into this game, and would like for all of that not to be just trashed. As for people complaining, well my guess is if they would quit making ignorant choices and/or listen to the community from day one it wouldn’t be an issue.
>
> <mark>So you worked for it, then work again. It’s not a big deal,</mark> this is not your job, you’re not gonna starve cause you got back to 0. Things got updated cause, before the csr wasn’t working as it really should so you would play a game as a csr 20 against a 50, as I understand that won’t happen now. So because there is people with csr that really doesn’t show their true skill, cause as I said before there was no team selection based on csr, which can help a lot for boosting, then it’s perfectly normal that they reset csr so that everyone is back to 0. If you’re that invested in having a 50 and you’re really that good, then don’t worry, you’ll have it in no time. And for your remarks about the community, it’s the community that is bad, not 343. It’s simple, if you don’t enjoy what halo 4 has to offer then head back to 3 or reach, and if all the people that do nothing but complain all day did the same, then halo 3 and halo reach would be overpopulated in no time

It is a big deal. Some people work hard for their 50, and don’t want to work for their 50 all over again. Not to mention, not everyone has the TIME to sit around and play all day for a 50!

> It is a big deal. Some people work hard for their 50, and don’t want to work for their 50 all over again. Not to mention, not everyone has the TIME to sit around and play all day for a 50!

First of all the goal of csr is to make all your games more even, cause you’ll be competing with same skilled players. People don’t have to work for their 50, that’s the main problem. When bungie realease halo 3 people complained that it was to hard to get to 50, thats because it’s not the goal. The goal is to select players based on their skill. But hey, if all you care about is a 50, then I have to tell you that the problem isn’t with 343 but with you, cause you’re clearly not understanding the point of csr. You won’t be a better player just cause you got a 50, you’ll just play with the bests

> It is a big deal. Some people work hard for their 50, and don’t want to work for their 50 all over again. Not to mention, not everyone has the TIME to sit around and play all day for a 50!

CSR isn’t a grind goal, it’s a measure of relative skill.

> > It is a big deal. Some people work hard for their 50, and don’t want to work for their 50 all over again. Not to mention, not everyone has the TIME to sit around and play all day for a 50!
>
> CSR isn’t a grind goal, it’s a measure of relative skill.

Not entirely true. I can sit and win 50 games in a row and go nowhere in my mid-30 ranks, while other people who play with guests and solo at times will rank up fast for seemingly no apparent reason. In the case of teams who play together and play well, it’s definitely a grind goal. It literally takes forever even placing 1st in every game and winning every game just because you play with friends.

> > CSR isn’t a grind goal, it’s a measure of relative skill.
>
> Not entirely true. I can sit and win 50 games in a row and go nowhere in my mid-30 ranks, while other people who play with guests and solo at times will rank up fast for seemingly no apparent reason.

In order for a ranking system to work properly, the matchmaking system needs to work. The very fact that you can “win 50 games in a row” shows how broken the matchmaking is. That never would have happened in Halo 2 or 3. CSR isn’t the problem; bad skill and CSR matches is.

First, I’m sorry you lost your rank - I did too and since that was basically the only play list I frequented it impacted me. I’m a very average player (trying to get better) but still like to see if I can rank up…

Here’s the thing though - I think there is a bright side and that this method of calculating CSR will be significantly better. First of all, the old CSR, based on total match points, relied on H4’s internal scoring system, which is, quite frankly, a joke. You get points for things like “Stuck”, “Comeback Kill”, “Headcase”, “Kill from the Grave” etc. etc. and in general it rewarded super aggressive gameplay regardless of how many times you died in the process. I’ve seen people top the leader-board with 24 kills and 31 deaths. That is not helping your team win. Also, it wasn’t clear to me how this system interfaced with TrueSkill, which is used to match players on XBOX Live. TrueSkill is based on win rate only. So how does that work when you interface CSR and TrueSkill? I think it makes a mash of things.

The new system is essentially just a visible TrueSkill rating, which should make matchmaking more consistent. Since it is based on win rate, doing things like going 24 and 31 won’t help you rank up and people won’t be rewarded bonus points for luck, random, stupid, and overly aggressive game behavior. So, while I am disappointed to lose my CSR also, I view it as a sacrifice for an overall better experience in the long run.

Just because the number isn’t there anymore, doesn’t mean you never had it. They didn’t take your gaming abilities away with the stat wipe. CSR is just a number until you jump in a game and back it up with your skills. Resetting it keeps the community fresh and gives everyone a chance to earn the number best suited to their skills.

Not only is this (in my opinion) more fun and exciting, it helps to ideally keep you playing against people actually your skill level, so the game isn’t boring or frustrating. This is how SC2 does it and it is one of the most popular and successful matchmaking ranking systems in existence.

How long is it taking you guys to actually get your rank to go back up?

I’ve played probably 20+ games over the last few days, going like 3 or 2:1 K/D and having my team win the match. Yet, my rank still sits at 1 and I keep playing horrible players. Getting old.

As a side note. How hard is it for them to put your CSR on the next to your name during the pregame period? I know this has been mentioned before, but seriously. What is the point of having a CSR if its so hidden and you never really know what your playing against. Having it all hidden 4 pages into waypoint makes me care less and takes away competitiveness imo.

people calm down about the reset. I’ve worked harder then anyone (i know)to get to where i was (which was only a 30) and i honestly don’t think its that big of a deal.

better csr means what? new content to download?
more spartan ops missions?
more respect from people you don’t know?
come on.

when you hop into a match that’s where you show off your skill. or better yet just have fun and quit stressing about the matter.
people stop giving 343i a hard time.

> How long is it taking you guys to actually get your rank to go back up?
>
> I’ve played probably 20+ games over the last few days, going like 3 or 2:1 K/D and having my team win the match. Yet, my rank still sits at 1 and I keep playing horrible players. Getting old.
>
> As a side note. How hard is it for them to put your CSR on the next to your name during the pregame period? I know this has been mentioned before, but seriously. What is the point of having a CSR if its so hidden and you never really know what your playing against. Having it all hidden 4 pages into waypoint makes me care less and takes away competitiveness imo.

The team based CSR is only influenced by W/L, and the level of those you win or lose to. You’ve won 10 games and lost 12 of team slayer since the reset, so you have only moved up 2 ranks. Hence you’re still playing people at level 1. Win more consistently if you want to rank up quickly.

You can learn a lot digging those 4 pages in :slight_smile:

> I hit my 43 last night and I have a friend who is a 12 I play with, he is terrible but He’s my best friend, so I am constantly trying to look out for two people, my other friend I play with is ridiculously good and always smashes everyone on the team in points. Secondly I hit my 42 last night and was going to go for my 43 today since he isn’t online. 3rd I have 26618 kills and 21584 deaths with 2000 games completed in slayer, if I’m correct. Also it doesn’t matter if you think I’m good or not, I busted my -Yoink!- for my rank and now it’s just gone. What’s the point of playing if my stats reset every two months. I hated arena for that exact reason in reach and I didn’t play arena. If the csr needed to be fixed shouldn’t that have been done before now? It’s this far into the life of the game might as well keep it or at least not erase everyone’s work when they fix THEIR mistake.

Annnnd, here we go again.

For a number of reasons I’ve never been comfortable with the concept of rank, especially a rank based on “skill.” I believe, for some people, attainment of rank detracts from the enjoyment of just playing the game. This guy “busted his butt” for a rank that was destined to disappear eventually and now he’s upset. He, like many others, didn’t play in The Arena because Bungie said right up front that rank was temporary.

I stayed out of ranked playlists in H3 because I quickly learned that competitive players took a dim view of players of my ability reducing their chances of ranking up. I was happy, at first, that Reach did away with skill-based rank because TrueSkill was supposed to separate the men from the boys but I guess that didn’t happen (I didn’t play a lot of Reach multiplayer). H4 was supposed to be even more TrueSkill oriented but because of low population it doesn’t seem to be making any difference.

In any event, as long as rank of any kind is in the picture people are going to fight over what it means and how it’s calculated, and I don’t see any consensus forthcoming.

> > I hit my 43 last night and I have a friend who is a 12 I play with, he is terrible but He’s my best friend, so I am constantly trying to look out for two people, my other friend I play with is ridiculously good and always smashes everyone on the team in points. Secondly I hit my 42 last night and was going to go for my 43 today since he isn’t online. 3rd I have 26618 kills and 21584 deaths with 2000 games completed in slayer, if I’m correct. Also it doesn’t matter if you think I’m good or not, I busted my -Yoink!- for my rank and now it’s just gone. What’s the point of playing if my stats reset every two months. I hated arena for that exact reason in reach and I didn’t play arena. If the csr needed to be fixed shouldn’t that have been done before now? It’s this far into the life of the game might as well keep it or at least not erase everyone’s work when they fix THEIR mistake.
>
> Annnnd, here we go again.
>
> For a number of reasons I’ve never been comfortable with the concept of rank, especially a rank based on “skill.” I believe, for some people, attainment of rank detracts from the enjoyment of just playing the game. This guy “busted his butt” for a rank that was destined to disappear eventually and now he’s upset. He, like many others, didn’t play in The Arena because Bungie said right up front that rank was temporary.
>
> I stayed out of ranked playlists in H3 because I quickly learned that competitive players took a dim view of players of my ability reducing their chances of ranking up. I was happy, at first, that Reach did away with skill-based rank because TrueSkill was supposed to separate the men from the boys but I guess that didn’t happen (I didn’t play a lot of Reach multiplayer). H4 was supposed to be even more TrueSkill oriented but because of low population it doesn’t seem to be making any difference.
>
> In any event, as long as rank of any kind is in the picture people are going to fight over what it means and how it’s calculated, and I don’t see any consensus forthcoming.

Reach and halo 4 uses the trueskill system similarly to how it in halo 3 social. Ranked for halo reach was the Arena and used the real form of trueskill(or when they changed it to W/L) it gets reasted every couple months. And it is the same for halo 4 which uses a loose form of the trueskill like unranked playlists in halo 3 and non arena playlists. Throwdown uses a strict form of Team CSR , but I don’t know if it searches based on CSR and don’t know if it is an expectation( I know it doesn’t it most playlists . ) .

> Reach and halo 4 uses the trueskill system similarly to how it in halo 3 social. Ranked for halo reach was the Arena and used the real form of trueskill(or when they changed it to W/L) it gets reasted every couple months. And it is the same for halo 4 which uses a loose form of the trueskill like unranked playlists in halo 3 and non arena playlists. Throwdown uses a strict form of Team CSR , but I don’t know if it searches based on CSR and don’t know if it is an expectation( I know it doesn’t it most playlists . ) .

Trueskill is where its at :3
I prefer it to Halo 4’s CSR as I can see my progress and its based on W/L. I raised my Slayer Trueskill from a 32 to a 45, almost a 46 in a couple of weeks. Took a whole lot of grinding (searching solo).

I would prefer it if they had Trueskill for every playlist however (I think it was like this in past games like Reach), as opposed to just the gametype).