Team Ordnance Drops-more skillful alternative

I’m sure you’ve all heard of the ‘Personal Ordnance Drops’ that feature in the ‘Infinity Slayer’ gametype in Halo 4. I’ve written an article on my website that outlines what they are, why they’re there, and some of the problems I (and others) have with it (and not just because it’s like something that is in CoD). Then, since I love thinking about gametype design, I wrote a bit on an alternative that I’m calling the ‘Team Ordnance Drop.’ That bit is quoted below for your convenience:

> If you wanted promote team work more and still use the mechanics of earning ODs through points and getting to call them in, then you could utilise what I’m going to call a Team Ordnance Drop (tOD) system.
>
> Instead of each player on a team having their own Ordnance Drop meter, the entire team would share one: every action any player does goes into the pool towards the next OD. The point threshold would likely be higher than for a pOD to curb the rate.
>
> Once that threshold has been reached, the entire team would get the chance to vote on what to call in. As soon as the first member of a team has voted, a countdown would start (only 10-15 seconds) indicating the period of time in which other members get a chance to vote before the Ordnance is called in anyway. This would be so that one uncooperative or ignorant team-mate could not prevent the entire team from calling in an OD. Between a choice of 3, a team of 4 players should be able to figure choose one: the only time they’ll get an impasse is if they vote 2:2.
>
> At the end of the voting period, or when all team-mates have voted (whichever is sooner), the spawn location would be chosen roughly in the middle of where the team members are. This location would be marked for all players in the game and a second countdown (10-15 seconds) would begin until the drop actually spawns in. Once the ordnance arrives, anyone from any team would be able to grab and use it immediately.
>
> This method of ordnance drop would reward teamwork and the team as a whole directly – it doesn’t matter who gets kills or points as long as someone does since they all count towards the next drop. There would be no tactical weirdness from increased point thresholds on subsequent ODs since anyone getting more points would directly contribute to the same pool. Like the count-in for the hill-based Ordnance Drops in Invasion Slayer in Reach, the time-delay gives the opposing team a chance (however small) to contest possession of the ordnance and the waypoint at least gives them warning about what they are going up against (unlike pODs).
>
> Team’s earning tODs would get the tactical benefit of getting to choose what to call in and it’s location will be largely under their control – but they will have to continue to demonstrate their skill while protecting the drop site. Opposing teams would get forewarned about what they are going up against, and have the chance to contest the drop site and potentially take the drop for themselves – turning the tables.
>
> This seems to me like it would play a little more like ‘Halo’ and less like CoD: teams would need to demonstrate more cooperation and organisation to use and contest the tODs effectively.

TL/DR
Team Ordinance Drop:

• A team rather than individual Ordnance Meter
  • Quick vote on what to call in
  • Short timer before spawn so other team has opportunity to contest
  • Then anyone can grab and use it

This would be much more pro-teamwork than pODs - which I think is something that you should be promoting in a team gametype! Let me know what you think, I’m sure others have had similar thoughts along the same lines.

Be great for Team Slayer.

And obviously every team playlist. Great idea mate. I like the voting system point :smiley:

Good idea,it has a supreme emphasis on teamwork taht would definetly fir within the new gametype them of halo 4;I also liked the fact that you included a tl;dr option for those people who do not like reading walls of text.

Just read about personal ordinance drops and how they effect gameplay.
There’s part of me that’s divided once I look at how I play Halo and treat power weapons and how POD won’t make this any different.
At the start of a match a team mate wants a power weapon I’ll let them have it, on the other hand if I’m camping sniper spawn for a minute or two, I’m driven to get it out of my own selfish desires.
Same with personal ordinance drops. If I help out myself, and each team mate is using their own mentality it could increase the seriousness each player has rather than relying on their teammates to win the game/to babysit a certain spawn.
Part of POD encourages map movement rather than baby sitting an area

That would be great, but it would start riots in Halo 4.

EX: Guy gets rocket launcher. Other players WANT rocket launcher. Therefore shooting at each other.

By the way, I’m a lone wolf kind of guy and I don’t like sharing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea i think this idea is much better than the personal ordinance drops.

> That would be great, but it would start riots in Halo 4.
>
> EX: Guy gets rocket launcher. Other players WANT rocket launcher. Therefore shooting at each other.
>
> By the way, I’m a lone wolf kind of guy and I don’t like sharing. :stuck_out_tongue:

True, but maybe it could be party only. So you and your friends could decide who gets the weapon depending on their skill :stuck_out_tongue:

It’d be great for custom games, a little complicated for matchmaking though.

Team Slayer and Big Team Battle.

> > That would be great, but it would start riots in Halo 4.
> >
> > EX: Guy gets rocket launcher. Other players WANT rocket launcher. Therefore shooting at each other.
> >
> > By the way, I’m a lone wolf kind of guy and I don’t like sharing. :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> True, but maybe it could be party only. So you and your friends could decide who gets the weapon depending on their skill :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, that would be great.

I really like the idea, and I feel it could work extremely well in objective gametypes, where it could, imo, replace personal drops (not in slayer, though, because that’s always based more on individual performance). If 343 is looking into putting ordinance drops in objective games, your ‘team drop’ idea would work perfectly.

> > > That would be great, but it would start riots in Halo 4.
> > >
> > > EX: Guy gets rocket launcher. Other players WANT rocket launcher. Therefore shooting at each other.
> > >
> > > By the way, I’m a lone wolf kind of guy and I don’t like sharing. :stuck_out_tongue:
> >
> > True, but maybe it could be party only. So you and your friends could decide who gets the weapon depending on their skill :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> Now, that would be great.

Oh and If people still do betray, maybe the Bar decreases?

Hmmm your idea reminds me of invasion slayer… I like it!!!

I would like it if the personal ordinance drops aren’t able to be picked up by other teammates for at least 5 seconds, giving you enough time to get what you earned

> That would be great, but it would start riots in Halo 4.
>
> EX: Guy gets rocket launcher. Other players WANT rocket launcher. Therefore shooting at each other.
>
> By the way, I’m a lone wolf kind of guy and I don’t like sharing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well people would have to learn to play nice :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s really part of the point - to make teams work together and be cooperative.

You could always raise the point threshold and have multiple (lets say two) weapons spawning in at the same time a short way from each other - that way teams still have to learn to share, but even a jerk teammate isn’t going to be able to steal ALL of them. (bit like Invasion Slayer, but less overpowered)

> It’d be great for custom games, a little complicated for matchmaking though.

Why?
Get kills, points and medals - choose drop - wait for drop. That’s it. No more complicated on the face of it than pODs.

> Hmmm your idea reminds me of invasion slayer… I like it!!!

Haha yeah! It does take some inspiration from that gametype! The countdown before spawn in that gametype is exactly so that teams can try to contest it - problem of course in that gametype is that the maps are way too big, and there are usually too many players, for that to happen a whole lot!

> I would like it if the personal ordinance drops aren’t able to be picked up by other teammates for at least 5 seconds, giving you enough time to get what you earned

They’re actually doing something like that if you read this interview. Which only furthers the selfish ideal :stuck_out_tongue:

> Yea i think this idea is much better than the personal ordinance drops.