Team Objective "win bonus" fail

So 343 added a double win bonus for Team Objective in hopes of getting people to stop holding the objective and ending games in a timely manner. Will it work? No.

Assuming the people who are holding even care about credits, the win/performance bonus is based of a percentage of the time played bonus. Even if a team didn’t play to win the game they could still get more credits from a 10+ minute loss than they could from a 2-3 minute win.

They hold and win.

Get even more credits.

Perfect.

> They hold and win.
>
> Get even more credits.
>
> Perfect.

Honestly, it feels like no thought gets put into these updates.

No thought went into this update.

2 things will happen.

  1. People will still Hold the objective because they win anyways (just takes longer when you hold).

  2. People will still hold the objective because they never cared about credits in the first place.

Another thing. The new maps. Iv’e played unconquered, pulse, and Midas. Unconquered and Midas look like they were just thrown together with no concept for how the would play. On Midas there really needs to be more than a 30 second spawn timer on the ghost.

The only good egg in the batch of new maps so far is pulse. It seems to have decent flow to it, nothing too terrible concerning spawning, and decent power weapon selection/locations. I’ll hold final judgement on it until I play a game in arena on it.

Have you guys seen the new Synapse? My opinion, it’s ugly but awesome gameplay.

> > They hold and win.
> >
> > Get even more credits.
> >
> > Perfect.
>
> Honestly, it feels like no thought gets put into these updates.

Didn’t know that this level of fail was possible.

> Have you guys seen the new Synapse? My opinion, it’s ugly but awesome gameplay.

Whats changed?

At least 343i is trying to keep objective in the mix, for that I commend them.

> At least 343i is trying to keep objective in the mix, for that I commend them.

Does little to nothing…

> Have you guys seen the new Synapse? My opinion, it’s ugly but awesome gameplay.

Only played one game, but I liked it. Didn’t really notice it was synapse til half way through the game.

> Have you guys seen the new Synapse? My opinion, it’s ugly but awesome gameplay.

Only played one game, but I liked it. Didn’t really notice it was synapse til half way through the game.

At least they finally moved CTF to Slot 1. I’ve been suggesting that for years, and now I can’t even try it out because my Xbox red-ringed last week.

> > At least 343i is trying to keep objective in the mix, for that I commend them.
>
> Does little to nothing…

Trouble is Halo developers have been trying to update and return populace to the Objective playlist since Halo 3.

I’m not sure if players are just that into slayer or the cheaters, practised teams and playlist segmenting of game styles are holding Objective back.

Who knows but as long as the developers keep working on restoring the glory of this “core playlist” I’m happy.

What do you suggest to bring players back to objective?

I said this as soon as they announced the change.

> Have you guys seen the new Synapse? My opinion, it’s ugly but awesome gameplay.

I’ve played on it a few times in Arena. In my opinion it plays much better than the original Synapse.

> No thought went into this update.
>
> 2 things will happen.
>
> 1. People will still Hold the objective because they win anyways (just takes longer when you hold).
>
> 2. People will still hold the objective because they never cared about credits in the first place.
>
> Another thing. The new maps. Iv’e played unconquered, pulse, and Midas. Unconquered and Midas look like they were just thrown together with no concept for how the would play. On Midas there really needs to be more than a 30 second spawn timer on the ghost.
>
> <mark>The only good egg in the batch of new maps so far is pulse. It seems to have decent flow to it, nothing too terrible concerning spawning, and decent power weapon selection/locations. I’ll hold final judgement on it until I play a game in arena on it.</mark>

I’ve played it in Arena and I almost love the map. Great flow, no spawn trapping, you know where you’re going, perfect amount of power weapons. It has a thumbs up from me.

PS: Having knowledge of the enemies spawn I like, but flat out spawn trapping I don’t.

Barely got over 4000 credits every game. We just decided that every Zealot Flag game become a stat padding session. We did win the majority of our games, and didn’t get much reward.

> > > At least 343i is trying to keep objective in the mix, for that I commend them.
> >
> > Does little to nothing…
>
> Trouble is Halo developers have been trying to update and return populace to the Objective playlist since Halo 3.
>
> I’m not sure if players are just that into slayer or the cheaters, practised teams and playlist segmenting of game styles are holding Objective back.
>
> Who knows but as long as the developers keep working on restoring the glory of this “core playlist” I’m happy.
>
> What do you suggest to bring players back to objective?

To start out they should restrict the playlist to 2 local players since it is very team oriented and as such guests have no place. Furthermore 5 man teams clash with 4 local players making it so that the odd man out has his experience completely ruined given the behavioral nature of guests quitting out and overall not playing well.

Once this is done the playlist can have forge maps injected into it. The change to 5v5 gameplay makes a lot of the default maps completely unplayable and the meta game has changed significantly. The playlist needs slightly larger maps that are meant for objective gameplay. Maps like Affinity and Wayont are but two examples of exceptional maps for 5v5 objective gameplay which themselves are not that well suited for slayer.

Community maps that support objective gameplay very well alongside supporting 5v5 gameplay will go a very long way to making the playlist better and that is without changing any of the settings in the individual gametypes of removing any gametypes from the rotation.

You might want to reconsider; I’m still a General Grade 4, and every game I win earns me around 1600-2300 Performance Bonus credits. Just that area alone.

If you ask me, they didn’t double the Performance Bonus, they tripled it.

Also, I earned more credits from a faster game of Neutral Bomb on Asylum, which we won by planting the bomb 3 times, and NOT holding, than I did when my team decided to plant twice and hold. The difference between Performance credits for those games was around 6-700.

Based on this, I think if you really WIN the game, before the time limit is up, you get more credits than you would if you were to win, but by running down the time limit.

Keep in mind there are 4 win/loss scenarios in the game:

True Win: Scoring to the maximum points required for winning the game.
Timed Win: Having the highest score when the time limit runs out.
Tie (Counts as both-team loss): Both teams have the exact same score when the time limit runs out.
Loss: Having a lower score than the other team when the game ends.

> > > > At least 343i is trying to keep objective in the mix, for that I commend them.
> > >
> > > Does little to nothing…
> >
> > Trouble is Halo developers have been trying to update and return populace to the Objective playlist since Halo 3.
> >
> > I’m not sure if players are just that into slayer or the cheaters, practised teams and playlist segmenting of game styles are holding Objective back.
> >
> > Who knows but as long as the developers keep working on restoring the glory of this “core playlist” I’m happy.
> >
> > What do you suggest to bring players back to objective?
>
> To start out they should restrict the playlist to 2 local players since it is very team oriented and as such guests have no place. Furthermore 5 man teams clash with 4 local players making it so that the odd man out has his experience completely ruined given the behavioral nature of guests quitting out and overall not playing well.
>
> Once this is done the playlist can have forge maps injected into it. The change to 5v5 gameplay makes a lot of the default maps completely unplayable and the meta game has changed significantly. The playlist needs slightly larger maps that are meant for objective gameplay. Maps like Affinity and Wayont are but two examples of exceptional maps for 5v5 objective gameplay which themselves are not that well suited for slayer.
>
> Community maps that support objective gameplay very well alongside supporting 5v5 gameplay will go a very long way to making the playlist better and that is without changing any of the settings in the individual gametypes of removing any gametypes from the rotation.

I agree with most of what you said and I think I see the main issue was a lack of maps that were built for objective from the ground up.

If less focus was on invasion and arena we may have seen more developer resources on objective maps beyond Forge designs etc.

Maps like burial mounds, blood gulch, high ground, zanzibar etc all helped make objective what it was back then.