Team killing & friendly fire

Although I don’t see team killing or friendly fire as a prolific problem in Reach or Halo 3, because getting booted from the game & temporary bans generally curbs that kind of player behavior, and also most people tend to play with friends.

Regardless, I think a very clever solution to prevent friendly fire, done by Infinity Ward for MW3, was to implement a ricochet setting - where friendly fire hurts you rather then your teammate.

I realize suggesting anything remotely related to COD will cause the Halo fanboys to rage… but nonetheless I thought it was good mechanic to allow the existence of friendly fire while preventing abuse.

No. This a bad idea, as the players that betrays accicdentally is often the power-weapon holders, rocket, shotgun, sniper. The best way to prevent team-killing is to have system that gives you exp if you win, and nothing if you lose. No one ever betrayed in halo 2 or halo 3 for the weapons, as it wasn’t your personal stats which counted towards the win, but the race to X kills.

When i play Halo 3 with the br0z my friends little brother will kill anyone who picks ups the sniper at the beginning of the match :stuck_out_tongue:

> When i play Halo 3 with the br0z my friends little brother will kill anyone who picks ups the sniper at the beginning of the match :stuck_out_tongue:

Then tell him to go play lonewolf, or call out before the game starts. Your brother is only a little kid, and needs to learn what a team game is about, having teamwork; Callout and share weapons. I must admit that sometimes I do it myself, but this is only if i have more than 2/3 of the kills in my team. Then i consider my teammates useless, telling them to go hide, and let me do the rest of the work.

My friends little brother is 17 and we usually try to call it out before the game starts (4 player split screen for us). He doesn’t do it during the middle of the game, only at the start. When we play we also like to -Yoink- around, which means 1 random person gets to experience that with us (unless we have a party of 5). Our teamwork is often terrible but somehow we still manage to rape :stuck_out_tongue:

> No one ever betrayed in halo 2 or halo 3 for the weapons, as it wasn’t your personal stats which counted towards the win, but the race to X kills.

Ha you must be kidding. I’ve lost count of the number of times someone has killed or attempted to kill me for a power weapon like Sniper on Coag, or just griefers just causing hell for their team just to stuff everything up.

Personally I think friendly fire is necessary as otherwise it would just be relentless weapon spamming at the opposite team regardless of your own teammates positions. However I do think the betrayal system needs rethinking, in principal it works but in reality it is badly broken. Players get betrayed for their weapons and no boot option comes up, and then someone accidentally kills a teammate and they get booted.

Team killing is a thin that will never end, it’s always going to be around.

I think harsher penalties and a good reporting system could keep it to a minimal.

> > No one ever betrayed in halo 2 or halo 3 for the weapons, as it wasn’t your personal stats which counted towards the win, but the race to X kills.
>
> Ha you must be kidding. I’ve lost count of the number of times someone has killed or attempted to kill me for a power weapon like Sniper on Coag, or just griefers just causing hell for their team just to stuff everything up.
>
> Personally I think friendly fire is necessary as otherwise it would just be relentless weapon spamming at the opposite team regardless of your own teammates positions. However I do think the betrayal system needs rethinking, in principal it works but in reality it is badly broken. Players get betrayed for their weapons and no boot option comes up, and then someone accidentally kills a teammate and they get booted.

How many times did you get killed in halo 3/2 for any weapons compared to reach? Probably a lot less.

> > > No one ever betrayed in halo 2 or halo 3 for the weapons, as it wasn’t your personal stats which counted towards the win, but the race to X kills.
> >
> > Ha you must be kidding. I’ve lost count of the number of times someone has killed or attempted to kill me for a power weapon like Sniper on Coag, or just griefers just causing hell for their team just to stuff everything up.
> >
> > Personally I think friendly fire is necessary as otherwise it would just be relentless weapon spamming at the opposite team regardless of your own teammates positions. However I do think the betrayal system needs rethinking, in principal it works but in reality it is badly broken. Players get betrayed for their weapons and no boot option comes up, and then someone accidentally kills a teammate and they get booted.
>
> How many times did you get killed in halo 3/2 for any weapons compared to reach? Probably a lot less.

To be honest it seems to be about the same; which is actually a lot. Playing H2 on Coag it was always the worst thing to hear some kid scream in the pre-game lobby “I call Sniper, don’t anyone else take it or I’ll betray you for it”.

Betraying for power weapons is unfortunately something thats been in Halo since the start. I think it was probably worst in Halo 2 because of ammo packs, a Sniper wouldn’t respawn on Coag unless it was dropped and a smart Sniper would never run out of ammo hence all the betrayals.

> No one ever betrayed in halo 2 or halo 3 for the weapons

Blatant lies.

> > > > No one ever betrayed in halo 2 or halo 3 for the weapons, as it wasn’t your personal stats which counted towards the win, but the race to X kills.
> > >
> > > Ha you must be kidding. I’ve lost count of the number of times someone has killed or attempted to kill me for a power weapon like Sniper on Coag, or just griefers just causing hell for their team just to stuff everything up.
> > >
> > > Personally I think friendly fire is necessary as otherwise it would just be relentless weapon spamming at the opposite team regardless of your own teammates positions. However I do think the betrayal system needs rethinking, in principal it works but in reality it is badly broken. Players get betrayed for their weapons and no boot option comes up, and then someone accidentally kills a teammate and they get booted.
> >
> > How many times did you get killed in halo 3/2 for any weapons compared to reach? Probably a lot less.
>
> To be honest it seems to be about the same; which is actually a lot. Playing H2 on Coag it was always the worst thing to hear some kid scream in the pre-game lobby “I call Sniper, don’t anyone else take it or I’ll betray you for it”.
>
> Betraying for power weapons is unfortunately something thats been in Halo since the start. I think it was probably worst in Halo 2 because of ammo packs, a Sniper wouldn’t respawn on Coag unless it was dropped and a smart Sniper would never run out of ammo hence all the betrayals.

Wether you play a lot of ranked or social can tell how much team-killing you will experience. If you play ranked you will notice that most players actually try to win the game, and if they team kill, it will be harder to achieve this. If you play social most people don’t not care, or/and only think of themselves.

> Wether you play a lot of ranked or social can tell how much team-killing you will experience. If you play ranked you will notice that most players actually try to win the game, and if they team kill, it will be harder to achieve this. If you play social most people don’t not care, or/and only think of themselves.

Couldn’t one argue that there would be more team killing in Reach since there’s no competitive playlist and everyone is thinking of themselves?

> > Wether you play a lot of ranked or social can tell how much team-killing you will experience. If you play ranked you will notice that most players actually try to win the game, and if they team kill, it will be harder to achieve this. If you play social most people don’t not care, or/and only think of themselves.
>
> Couldn’t one argue that there would be more team killing in Reach since there’s no competitive playlist and everyone is thinking of themselves?

I believe reach has more team-killing because it’s one big social playlist.

I pretty much only play ranked and its always been the same. Every now and then I’ll pick up a power weapon and then my shields start going down because some guy on my team wants it and was too slow to get it.

What I hate about Halo: Reach is that I accidentally team-kill, usually when I’m in the Wraith, I get kicked instantly without the person I team-killed even thinking for two seconds. But when I get the Sniper Rifle, Rocket Launcher or Wraith and I get team-killed on purpose, I don’t get the option to kick. That pisses me off the most.

Suggestions for Team-Killing/ Betraying in Halo 4:

1. Stat track every single point of damage inflicted on friendly players, leaving a permanent mark on a player’s stats.
  2. Also track betrayals per game and total.
    *Don’t put it out of the way, either, make it one of the first things people see when they look at your stats.
  3. Make it so getting booted for betrayals affects your rank/ EXP/ cR severely, make it possible to lose rank (and in turn whatever you have bought with cR for that rank).
  4. Make it so instead of having the victim have the choice to boot, make it a team vote.

Booting Eligibility: The betrayer becomes eligible to be booted on their 3rd friendly kill or if they inflicted 300 points worth of damage to friendly players.

i have a better idea, turn FF off, this has bean issue in EVERY halo game,

everyone makes the same excuses this isn’t cod it wouldn’t be halo
seriously open your eyes, CoD wasn’t the first to do everything,
halo needs this, people wont betray if it ain’t possible,

Betrayals is one of the most annoying things in halo,
it gets old when i get the sniper and a teammate kills me just so he can get it,
its simply a fact, Halo needs FF to be removed from matchmaking

and before you ask how it is a fact,

if Betrayals wasn’t a problem, Bungee wouldn’t even have needed to add a punishment for betraying, its been an issue sense even halo 1 MP on PC,

remove the ability to betray and all the issues are gone along with it,

I’ve mentioned implementing ricochet settings in Halo in the past, as I think it’s the best way to punish teams for friendly fire, discourage grieving, and promote skillful shooting.

A legitimate concern with ricochet settings in Halo, is the inevitable grievers that will be jumping into the path of friendly rockets, grenades, snipers…etc. It’s certainly a valid issue that would likely lead to ricochet getting more complaint than praise among the community.

That said, there’s no good reason why said grieving should happen more than once in a game. With ricochet it’s your trigger, your fault. Check your fire, be aware of your surroundings, and grieving doesn’t have to be an issue. It’s like the saying goes: “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me”.

In any case, under no circumstance should friendly fire be turned off in default matchmaking settings.

> In any case, under no circumstance should friendly fire be turned off in default matchmaking settings.

Disagree. Utterly, totally, completely, conclusively, exhaustively, unconditionally, one-hundred-per-cent-ly disagree.

they should leave it but edit the booting system! make it more accurate to recognized a consistent TK!