Team Doubles; seems overly MLG to me. Your thoughts

So today after a great Squad Slayer game I was invited by a WOG3 to play some team doubles.

Normally I never ever desire to play any kind of play list that is serious, even Arena kinda gets to me and I only play that a few days maybe 2 weeks to get a good rank set in.

So I joined and of course there is two guys on the mic, talking blabbing, etc. I can hear them though my mic isnt in because again i don’t wanna hear the trash talk. SO we begin to play and these guys are not good at all I can tell by my killing of them. But then they start using some really really shifty tactics. after about 4-5 kills i just up and stop playing and ask them in a message, why are you guys camping with both snipers and shottys.

Of course i get the response of your garbage, get on my lvl, etc.

My question Is it really fun to destroy 2 people with nothing but snipers? I mean especially when its 2 v 2, seriously is it fun because whenever that happens I just instantly go idling.

Power weapons and camping have always been part of Team Doubles lol. I dont know what you mean by too “MLG” though Team doubles plays nothing like MLG.

Not to say that your off point but is it fun, thats my question is camping with two snipers fun?

It has it’s moments. But I’m too fidgety to be able to sit around and camp. But please believe that if the game were on the line I could easily hide out if needed.

Nahh man I cant stand to sit and camp with power weapons, I love being on offese attacking etc. I dont need power weapons to win, heck i dont need to win at all to be honest.

My view is that people who play just for fun tend to be much smaller than those who play for the need to win and be superior. I would only camp if my health was very low and my only remaining chance to get a kill before dying was to blast/slice/snipe the enemy from a hiding location, I’d go with that choice since its much better than just charging into a fight with a power weapon at low health and essentially handing the enemy your weapons.

Which reminds me, the choice between camping and charging based on the situation can mean the difference between victory and defeat. I have tried charging into people with said combo of weapons, and they are roaming the level (Reflection and Synapse in particular, Synapse being a newer community map added to the lists) owning everything and everyone in sight at any range.

The key to avoiding this issue of campers in Doubles (or just power weapon struggles in general) is to memorize the weapon locations on each map (or the most common/ preferred maps) and based on where you start, get to the nearest power weapon. (Reflection for example: If I’m on blue team, I try to rush for the sword since it tends to be right behind my start location, and the rockets if I’m on red team since they are straight ahead. Shotgun and Sniper are usually anyone’s game with Sniper being slightly easier for red to obtain and shotgun being a case of quick draw)

Memorize the variants for 2v2 game types via Forge, and using the game type in question on the latest version of a map (not the built in variants of maps)

> Not to say that your off point but is it fun, thats my question is camping with two snipers fun?

in the doubles playlist people play to win. people usually dont -Yoink- around and do stupid stuff. people play a lot smarter in that playlist as a general rule.

if you gave them both snipers, for them to camp is only natural because thats what a snipers basic role is. transversing the map with the sniper usually isnt optimal, especially when you are playing doubles. in team slayer deaths dont really matter as much, in the grand scheme of things. in the doubles playlist, however, deaths matter a LOT. if you die, your partner will probably end up dying too (if you guys are working together) as a result of your death. when people gain the lead they will play more ‘campy’ because thats how you win safely.

i mean, sure, they could run around the map and not take it seriously. in doing so, however, they would lose a LOT more games than they would if they stayed back and took their epic advantage (2 snipers) and made use of it.

also, it has nothing to do with being ‘MLG’. people play competitively (playing to win, be the best, and try hard) without being avid MLG supporters.

im a good example of this. i dont really like the MLG playlist, i’d much rather play team objective where i can use evade off the spawn, or other playlists that have motion trackers enabled (because im wicked good with it lol).

basically what im telling you is tryharding =/= being ‘MLG’. people have ‘tryharded’ since before MLG was founded, thats for sure.

if you go into the doubles playlist, expect every single person on every team to try their hardest to win. if thats not your style of play, its probably not the right playlist for you.

I stopped playing doubles because of all the camping/crouching around corners with shotguns. It’s a weak way to play the game by hiding.

That doesn’t annoy me as much as people that won’t play the match correctly - i.e. objective match but never going for the objective because they think they are awesome at getting kills since they hide away from the chaos and toss grenades.

> So today after a great Squad Slayer game I was invited by a WOG3 to play some team doubles.
>
> Normally I never ever desire to play any kind of play list that is serious, even Arena kinda gets to me and I only play that a few days maybe 2 weeks to get a good rank set in.
>
> So I joined and of course there is two guys on the mic, talking blabbing, etc. I can hear them though my mic isnt in because again i don’t wanna hear the trash talk. SO we begin to play and these guys are not good at all I can tell by my killing of them. But then they start using some really really shifty tactics. after about 4-5 kills i just up and stop playing and ask them in a message, why are you guys camping with both snipers and shottys.
>
> Of course i get the response of your garbage, get on my lvl, etc.
>
> My question Is it really fun to destroy 2 people with nothing but snipers? I mean especially when its 2 v 2, seriously is it fun because whenever that happens I just instantly go idling.

If I’m playing to win, I don’t really care about what’s fun for anyone else. There’s nothing shifty or otherwise wrong about taking what the map gives you.

Back to OP, You have a valid point with this. I have found that Team Doubles is all about grabbing the power weapons and bunkering down with them. You may call this nooby but in reality it is one of the best ways to win a team doubles match. I personally play halo for the run and gun type game play so i just chose not to play team doubles. However the team slayer arena playlist is still good to go.

Doubles variants of certain maps might not be a bad idea. No CQ weapons, and just one power weapon on the map.

Yes one power weapon per map, grenades stickys pistols, DMR, etc.

and the power weapon should be low ammo too like a sniper with 4 shots or a rocket with 2 resapwn time 3-4 min.

u really need 2 power weapons on the map on ‘drop spawn’ that spawn in different sections of the map (like one on top one in bottom for sword base, things like that). this way one team cant just get the ONLY power weapon. i completely agree with removing things like the shotgun / sword / hammer from doubles tho, that promotes super lame gameplay entirely too much.

Doubles has always been about tactics and strategies. Since you only have one team-mate, it is super easy to communicate and thats what you need to do. Doubles is the epitome of teamwork and playing the mental meta-game with your opponents.

I don’t know many of the current maps in Doubles, which doesn’t help. I played better when the maps were more familiar. So I don’t particularly like the playlist anymore. =\

I work much better with a larger team, I dont work too great with a team above 5 though I noticed. But I absolutely hate doubles. Audri and I can tear up team doubles but I just cant stand the camping with power weapons.

Campfest oh campfest. Fampcest.

I never play Doubles just because of the fact stated above.

Suggestions on how to fix it?

Remove or atleast make the power weapons only spawn ONCE every match.

I do not believe doubles is “overly MLG”. I fell it’s just the opposite and should be more like MLG with no radar, power weapons IE: Rockets, OS or cammo. I also like to play an objective gametype from time to time.

With no radar the game would move faster and the opponents would converge at timed weapon spawns. Bring some type of ranking system to the gametype.

It’s funny because theres no camping in MLG.

Thats my point. With no radar there is no need to camp and crawl around the map. It all about communication. The gametype would open up and move a lot faster.