Team DLC Population

So, I am a little confused about something and I was hoping the members of this forum could help me figure it out.

In my recent surfing of the Halo 4 forum in the past six weeks or so I’ve read too many topics containing “Where’s the DLC playlist, 343?” This week 343 gave us what so many have been asking for, we got the DLC playlist! Like many of you, I was super excited to finally play some DLC maps again! I usually only get to play Shatter once every few weeks and that’s it for the DLC action. I immediately jumped into the playlist when it was added and figured more people would join in later and the population would only grow over the next 24 hers. Not the case. The population hits a max of about 560. Which brings me to why I have experienced such confusion this week…

Where the heck is everyone? Why do so many complain about not having a permanent DLC playlist or never getting to play the maps you bought when so many don’t play them when we do have a playlist? WHY? We have the ability to do play them right now and yet all those complaining all the time are nowhere to be found.

Also, please understand that these maps aren’t always a fun time. You have many organized teams and plenty of players that are skilled above average. As a casual player I find most matches infuriating. But I never drop out because quitting is worse than a defeat, IMO. This game is about fighting the good fight, after all. But even though those types of matches are zero fun, I’m hanging on there because I want to show 343 that I like the DLC maps and I do want to play them. But with a population so low, why would the ever make it permanent? I am stuck with the same 460 players that are mostly better than me, but since so many others might’ve given up because of that fact the DLC won’t even have a fighting chance. It would be nice to have larger population just some variety.

So help me out. I need an explanation of what’s going on here, fellow Spartans. Why aren’t the majority of DLC owners showing support for the playlist that we have all been begging for? We have quite a few of the maps, so why aren’t more of us playing them?

Yeah man I don’t get it either, I expected the population to be way bigger then btb or normal team slayer yet it’s not. If the low population continues the way it is then I can see why 343 don’t want it to be permanent but is still higher then then the other playlist, somewhat.

Yea, I suppose. But, still. I’m seriously shocked that there aren’t way more people playing Team DLC. Maybe the population will spike up there with a weekend coming up?

We can only hope, unfortunately

The game has a low population on the whole, and the reason why people wanted a DLC playlist was because so few people had the DLC maps. Really makes sense when you think about it.

I’m betting that it’s because the playlist requires champions dlc.

Not everyone may have purchased it like the season pass, since it came with the limited edition.

I noticed too that the skill level is higher in the DLC playlist. And playing as random is hard in there.

As for the population, even if there is a ‘new’ DLC playlist there are alot of people that play only certain types of games. Out of all the 20 000 left (more or less) there are those who only play SWAT, those who only play Grifball, those who only play BTB, those who only play capture the flag, Ricochet, snipers etc… so substract all of those players to the remaining total population, minus those who just don’t own the DLC at all, those who do have the DLC but won’t go into the playlist cause they tried and got owned by some all-50s team… There’s also alot of quitting in this playlist and uneven matches…

So to me that’s why the pop for this playist is low.

I’m still glad its there and I’ve been playing the heck out of it since monday. Even if I’m constantly losing games. It feels so fresh to be able to rack a few hours of play on DLC maps after constantly playing Adrift, Solace, Adrift, then Solace again and so on. All my favorite H4 maps are currently in this DLC playlist.

This is nothing new. DLC playlists are historically known to have low populations. As far as I can remember it was the same situation in Halo 3. Then again in Reach. DLC playlist are just not very populated as its mainly achievement hunters who play them.

I said the same thing weeks ago in numerous other DLC playlist threads, looks like I was proven right.

Yea. For the most part, I had kind of figured the reason for a low pop was all the above^^^

I just don’t understand all the whining by some of the players that ask/expect certain things of 343 and then abandon ship when they deliver. It’s mind boggling.

I do think the higher skilled players in the playlist is a big factor for the average players to be discouraged. Like I said, I am frequently getting my -Yoink- handed to me. But I find the challenge and a change from the same old maps is doing my Halo skills a favor. Who knows, maybe I’ll learn a thing or two?

It is a shame that the DLC and the playlist aren’t doing better. I had really hoped the community would come through on this one.

Team DLC seems to be hovering around 300-400 players at a time <mark>(I have no idea about peak time though)</mark>, which is what Ricochet, Rumble Pit, and Griffball do on a consistent basis. If anything, this proves a dedicated DLC WILL WORK, since it is limited to people who only have DLC, and yet still matches 3 other playlist population, and even beating 1 other.

Also, for people saying, “what happened to the community on this?”, of course it isn’t going to beat something like Team Slayer or BTB. The whole reason we want a permanent DLC playlist is to have the CHOICE to play it. Why is Griffball still in Matchmaking when it does less than 500 players, and why is Team Throwdown still in when it can’t even get passed 300 players? Once you answer that, why can’t DLC, something WE PAID EXTRA FOR, not get the same treatment?

> I noticed too that the skill level is higher in the DLC playlist. And playing as random is hard in there.
>
> As for the population, even if there is a ‘new’ DLC playlist there are alot of people that play only certain types of games. Out of all the 20 000 left (more or less) there are those who only play SWAT, those who only play Grifball, those who only play BTB, those who only play capture the flag, Ricochet, snipers etc… so substract all of those players to the remaining total population, minus those who just don’t own the DLC at all, those who do have the DLC but won’t go into the playlist cause they tried and got owned by some all-50s team… There’s also alot of quitting in this playlist and uneven matches…
>
> So to me that’s why the pop for this playist is low.
>
> I’m still glad its there and I’ve been playing the heck out of it since monday. Even if I’m constantly losing games. It feels so fresh to be able to rack a few hours of play on DLC maps after constantly playing Adrift, Solace, Adrift, then Solace again and so on. All my favorite H4 maps are currently in this DLC playlist.

This guy mostly nailed it. Check out Snickerdoodle’s response to a similar thread in the Reach forum.

The only DLC that’s universally popular is the free stuff, like Forge Island. Whenever DLC becomes available there’s always at least three threads where people want to know if they should buy it or not and, the forums being the way they are, the answer is usually no. The whole DLC marketing strategy should be reconsidered. No one wants to pay for just a map, no matter how pretty it is.

I think a map you pay for should have something on it that moves or is somehow interactive. In fact, I would rather pay for interactive Forge items than a map.

I wonder what the reason for the low population is too. For so long, at least half of the community on here have wanted a DLC playlist, but now when it finally arrives, hardly anyone plays it. WAT? It doesn’t make sense to me, perhaps it’s like a dog with a big bone, it’s always trying to get at it and always wanting it, but when it finally get it, he/she doesn’t have a clue what to do with it.
Also I think the problem feeds off itself. People look at the low population and don’t want to play because of that, which means there’s even a lower population.

It is curious that even initially there wasn’t more activity in the DLC playlist. It has been a demanded item for so long that I found the lack of response from players surprising, I guess.

I believe the only DLC required for the playlist is Majestic. Don’t hold me to that as I’m not 100% sure but I want to say that’s right. I believe the MM Systems Team said it somewhere, I can try to dig it up in a bit.

ETA - Source:

> The Majestic Map Pack is the only map pack that is required to play, as the playlist offers a variety of 4 vs. 4 game types. Maps from the Bullseye, Crimson, and Castle Map Packs are also available in the playlist, but these are not required to play. In future DLC playlists, the map selection and well as requirements may change as team sizes are modified.

Anyways, historically, DLC only playlists have a ridiculously low population because, even though “everyone” “really really wants” a DLC only playlist, the number of people that ACTUALLY want one is much smaller than the impression given.

Reach had several dedicated DLC playlists that were eventually dissolved and again, people clamored for one. We were given Squad DLC and told they’d be monitoring the population and guess what? No one played the playlist so it was removed. Having a playlist that is rarely played is simply not feasible. All the maps/gametypes in Team DLC are found elsewhere so it’s essentially a duplicate playlist with tighter restrictions which means less people that can play it.

I certainly understand the desire and want to be able to play on the DLC maps (and in fact I actually played Reach’s Squad DLC very freqently) however I also understand that it’s simply not a viable, long term solution. The maps are there however people telling others, “Don’t buy the DLC because it never shows up!” simply perpetuates the Catch-22. DLC doesn’t show up because people don’t buy it. People don’t buy it because they’re told it doesn’t show up. Can’t have it both ways.

> Reach had several dedicated DLC playlists that were eventually dissolved and again, people clamored for one. We were given Squad DLC and told they’d be monitoring the population and guess what? No one played the playlist so it was removed. <mark>Having a playlist that is rarely played is simply not feasible.</mark> All the maps/gametypes in Team DLC are found elsewhere so it’s essentially a duplicate playlist with tighter restrictions which means less people that can play it.
>
> I certainly understand the desire and want to be able to play on the DLC maps (and in fact I actually played Reach’s Squad DLC very freqently) however I also understand that it’s simply not a viable, long term solution. The maps are there however people telling others, “Don’t buy the DLC because it never shows up!” simply perpetuates the Catch-22. DLC doesn’t show up because people don’t buy it. People don’t buy it because they’re told it doesn’t show up. Can’t have it both ways.

Look at Throwdown and say “Having a playlist that is rarely played is simply not feasible.”.

Hey, I don’t disagree. However I will concede that Team Throwdown offers gametypes that are not found elsewhere so I can kind of understand that.

I mainly want to respond to the idea that they should get rid of low population playlists like Grifball and Throwdown, and while I do love playing on the DLC, and never frequent the other two, I do not think they should be replaced.

First off Grifball has a large community of its own, and it has grown to be something that is known for Halo. It is a big deal, and even though the playlist might not be well populated there are many groups playing the heck out of it in customs. Grifball is one of the things I think about when I think of Halo MM. It should never go away. I mean, they even had their own panel at Halofest!

Same thing with Throwdown, that is the competitive Halo 4 playlist. Now even though Halo 4 is not being played in any tournaments, or even considered competitive by a lot of pro Halo players; there still needs to be a playlist where any player can go and try out their skills with a stripped down version of Halo 4. Once again, when I think of Halo MM I think of MLG/Throwdown. GH057ayame put a lot of effort into making that playlist. I think it would be a real shame if it was done away with completely just to make room for a DLC playlist.

Please understand, I am all for one of course, but I think there should be consolidation of some lists with like Richocet and CTF into an objective playlist. That still leave one slot for DLC to move into, and they can keep the rotational one.

I really don’t think either of these things will happen though. I think our best shot is for them to implement it after the rotational playlists are finished.

> Hey, I don’t disagree. However I will concede that Team Throwdown offers gametypes that are not found elsewhere so I can kind of understand that.

All Team Throwdown has is Competitive versions of existing gametypes. Ricochet, CTF, and Slayer are all in Multiplayer. Extraction is really the only unique one, but that’s because 343 is terrible at playlist and gametype management.

DLC features NEW MAPS people have BOUGHT that many can’t find through normal matchmaking.

The fact a playlist that caters to a slice of the community that hates the game gets a permanent slot over a DLC playlist that people spent money on baffles my mind.

> > Hey, I don’t disagree. However I will concede that Team Throwdown offers gametypes that are not found elsewhere so I can kind of understand that.
>
> All Team Throwdown has is Competitive versions of existing gametypes. Ricochet, CTF, and Slayer are all in Multiplayer. Extraction is really the only unique one, but that’s because 343 is terrible at playlist and gametype management.
>
> DLC features NEW MAPS people have BOUGHT that many can’t find through normal matchmaking.
>
> The fact a playlist that caters to a slice of the community that hates the game gets a permanent slot over a DLC playlist that people spent money on baffles my mind.

Yeah this.

The dlc playlist has maps that aren’t found in any of the other playlists. Gametypes and maps go together like peanut butter and jelly. (Ex: invasion maps and invasion gametypes in Reach). Taking the dlc playlist away would alienate the dedicated players who wanted to play different gametypes on maps that they paid for. You may as well take throwdown and ricochet away, since they have a low population of dedicated players.

Also, as an aside, the dlc in Reach should have never been removed. Squad dlc had a dedicated population of players as much as team objective playlist or super slayer playlist. I think squad dlc even had a bigger population than super slayer.And Anniversary maps really shouldn’t have been removed. Anniversary btb peaked well over 1000 players, how is that a low number when most of Halo 4’s playlists have less than 800 players at any given time?

I think the dlc playlist in halo 4 should stay. It’s got just as much population as the other low population playlists. And the reach dlc should be put back, it’s still got an active community, more than halo 3.

I think if and when they add BTB Slayer/Heavy to the DLC playlist, we will see more people playing. People I know played in the DLC playlist a few times, had their fun, then went back to BTB. Can’t really blame them for not wanting to play in gametypes they don’t necessarily care for just to play on new maps. If the DLC playlist was only for CTF DLC, I doubt people who hate CTF would play in the DLC playlist just to play on those maps.

And yes, I know the issue is population. But that’s the only thing I can think of as to why people aren’t playing in the DLC playlist. I personally LOVE BTB, especially with vehicles. But I do enjoy team slayer, CTF, and other game types that are 4v4, etc… So I’ll be playing for sure.