Team AI is bad

Ive been reading a lot of the press articles about halo 5 and while all of them ejoyed and complimented the game, there were a lot of critisism on friendly AI. Mainly that they try to revive you in Very bad situations and they all die. And the second Major complain was that they are too passive. This was on normal however. But i doubt the AI Will Improve much with difficulty. The build was old i know, but still we are Very close to release. (rul says that 343 told him issues would be fixed by launch). So im gping to stay possitive.

I’m still quite impressed with the AI from what I’ve seen. It has issues sure, it was never going to be 100% perfect but my take on what I’ve read this issues seem to be relatively minor, 343i are working on it and it works pretty well; and given the AI was one of my major concerns I’m pretty happy :slight_smile:

It’s kind of impressive, but it certainly still has flaws. I was dying of laughter in one of Gamespot’s vids because Buck was apparently brain-damaged at some point, trying to walk through a shield barrier and committing suicide by jumping out of a Banshee too early.

But I found it particularly cool how they can follow you in and out of their own vehicles regardless.

Yeah, I didn’t want to be the one to point it out without sitting down to find multiple, indisputable examples of it, but so far we’re just barely above what we’ve had in previous Halo games.

Well they only revive you during combat if you tell them to, just let them clear out the enemies first. That was the best way to play Republic commando. A

And all the gameplay I’ve watched the player doesn’t even use the squad ordering very well. I’m sure all us pros will be tellin them to pick up every power weapon and to target the elites, not the freaking grunts. :slight_smile:

> 2533274870852232;5:
> Well they only revive you during combat if you tell them to, just let them clear out the enemies first. That was the best way to play Republic commando. A
>
> And all the gameplay I’ve watched the player doesn’t even use the squad ordering very well. I’m sure all us pros will be tellin them to pick up every power weapon and to target the elites, not the freaking grunts. :slight_smile:

This. Remember, these guys are journalists. I for one was reading an article that said that the AI companions could more than pull their weight as far as kill counts and that they were super helpful if you knew how to use them. It’s just gonna be one more thing to master.

I think the OP has a point, the thing that being a good commander won’t fix is stupid AI, in other words standing around while getting shot isn’t very Spartan like. That has nothing to do with being a good commander, that’s simply common sense and plenty of other AI’s can do it, but for some reason Halo 5’s isn’t.

I really think 343i should focus on this with the little bit of time they have left, it was a standout negative from many journalists, they’re not all lying for no reason about the same thing.

> 2533274832948697;1:
> Ive been reading a lot of the press articles about halo 5 and while all of them ejoyed and complimented the game, there were a lot of critisism on friendly AI. Mainly that they try to revive you in Very bad situations and they all die. And the second Major complain was that they are too passive. This was on normal however. But i doubt the AI Will Improve much with difficulty. The build was old i know, but still we are Very close to release. (rul says that 343 told him issues would be fixed by launch). So im gping to stay possitive.

Actually i’d say the AI is very likely to scale with difficulty.

AI that feels useful on legendary, to someone who is used to playing legendary, is going to be completely overkill and hold the hand on normal, for someone who should be playing on normal.

> 2533274870852232;5:
> Well they only revive you during combat if you tell them to, just let them clear out the enemies first. That was the best way to play Republic commando. A
>
> And all the gameplay I’ve watched the player doesn’t even use the squad ordering very well. I’m sure all us pros will be tellin them to pick up every power weapon and to target the elites, not the freaking grunts. :slight_smile:

Yeah about the only one using squad commands was greenskull.

Play with two or three friends online and you would need to rely on the AI at all.

> 2533274832948697;1:
> Ive been reading a lot of the press articles about halo 5 and while all of them ejoyed and complimented the game, there were a lot of critisism on friendly AI. Mainly that they try to revive you in Very bad situations and they all die. And the second Major complain was that they are too passive. This was on normal however. But i doubt the AI Will Improve much with difficulty. The build was old i know, but still we are Very close to release. (rul says that 343 told him issues would be fixed by launch). So im gping to stay possitive.

I can see the AI having trouble in very wide non vehicle levels because of snipers and such being out of their aggro range. But the E3 trailer shows them acted pretty decisively in the more closed in areas and they actually seemed to do well in the open area near the end to I think the E3 demo must’ve been a later build but it was also on easy don’t know but I have faith in the AI.

> 2533274823519895;4:
> Yeah, I didn’t want to be the one to point it out without sitting down to find multiple, indisputable examples of it, but so far we’re just barely above what we’ve had in previous Halo games.

You have to understand that AI programming ain’t an easy task. Probably among the hardest things to develop in a game like Halo.

> 2533274830513360;9:
> > 2533274870852232;5:
> > Well they only revive you during combat if you tell them to, just let them clear out the enemies first. That was the best way to play Republic commando. A
> >
> > And all the gameplay I’ve watched the player doesn’t even use the squad ordering very well. I’m sure all us pros will be tellin them to pick up every power weapon and to target the elites, not the freaking grunts. :slight_smile:
>
>
> Yeah about the only one using squad commands was greenskull.

And he was very positive towards them.

The revive complaint is odd to me. If you are not revived in the time limit you go back to last checkpoint anyway and they only rush to revive if you call them.
as for the passiveness complaint just command them to attack.

> 2533274844984484;13:
> as for the passiveness complaint just command them to attack.

You walk a real thin line with that though. Having to either stop aiming, stop moving, or learn to claw with my left hand to make the AI remove its thumb from its -Yoink- would be awfully inconvenient.

> 2533274882949028;12:
> > 2533274823519895;4:
> > Yeah, I didn’t want to be the one to point it out without sitting down to find multiple, indisputable examples of it, but so far we’re just barely above what we’ve had in previous Halo games.
>
>
> You have to understand that AI programming ain’t an easy task. Probably among the hardest things to develop in a game like Halo.

I don’t deny that, but these are the kinds of criticisms one ought to expect when vaunting the AI partners as the ultimate squad based experience. These little problems wouldn’t have even occurred to me otherwise since the running standard in Halo has been Kat enabling stereotypes by killing me with the warthog in between driving it off a cliff and driving it into a rock.

> 2533274823519895;14:
> > 2533274844984484;13:
> > as for the passiveness complaint just command them to attack.
>
>
> You walk a real thin line with that though. Having to either stop aiming, stop moving, or learn to claw with my left hand to make the AI remove its thumb from its -Yoink- would be awfully inconvenient.
>
>
> > 2533274882949028;12:
> > > 2533274823519895;4:
> > > Yeah, I didn’t want to be the one to point it out without sitting down to find multiple, indisputable examples of it, but so far we’re just barely above what we’ve had in previous Halo games.
> >
> >
> > You have to understand that AI programming ain’t an easy task. Probably among the hardest things to develop in a game like Halo.
>
>
> I don’t deny that, but these are the kinds of criticisms one ought to expect when vaunting the AI partners as the ultimate squad based experience. These little problems wouldn’t have even occurred to me otherwise since the running standard in Halo has been Kat enabling stereotypes by killing me with the warthog in between driving it off a cliff and driving it into a rock.

… People probably should learn to play ‘claw’ with both their hands though…

The problem with AI is that even if they are fine 95% of the time its that one time that buck runs into you on legendary and jumps into your rocket killing you just as you where about the finish the hardest part of the mission, is the time that you will remember.

Well it certainly won’t be as bad as Reach’s driving AI amiright?

From what I understand, this gameplay is from a month’s-old build. According to Greenskull, the developers who were there when he played acknowledged the AI’s were a little wonky, but that they weren’t quite finished tweaking them and getting all the kinks out. Dig through his recent gameplay videos for the source, I don’t feel like it right now. I’m lazy. lol

I guess we’ll find out here in … 34 days.

> 2533274883669557;18:
> From what I understand, this gameplay is from a month’s-old build. According to Greenskull, the developers who were there when he played acknowledged the AI’s were a little wonky, but that they weren’t quite finished tweaking them and getting all the kinks out. Dig through his recent gameplay videos for the source, I don’t feel like it right now. I’m lazy. lol
>
> I guess we’ll find out here in … 34 days.

Here’s the video where they talk about the AI still being fine-tuned.

Watch ready up live’s commentary video. He specifically said that the devs told him that the ai were not finished and that they are working on fixing them