Tartarus - Remake of 'The Pit' - DL Inside!

After some time spent on this forged remake, since Halo 4’s launch week, I now feel ready to properly reveal this map to the official Halo forums. At this point it is highly regarded by many who have recently tested and reviewed the map to be very accurate and true to the original.

Tartarus is a remake of Halo 3’s ‘The Pit’. This map is made to scale and includes many of the tactical jumps found in the original. The sight-lines were a very important, if not the most important part of making this map. Initial Spawns, Spawn Points, and Spawns Zones are all identical to the original map’s set up. Aesthetics and weapon spawns also played a large role in making this map play properly in both Halo 4 and Classic style settings.

Download Links

Screenshots

There are two variants of this map:

Tartarus

‘Tartarus’ is made for Halo 4’s standard Infinity Slayer settings. It can be played on 4v4, but it is definitely better suited for 2v2. Instant Respawns and Sprint can make 4v4 a bit hectic. Weapons and powerups are a bit different from its Halo 3 counterpart.

Initial Ordinance:
Rocket Launcher
Needler x 2
Sniper Rifle x2
Energy Sword

Random Ordinance:
Sticky Detonator/Rail Gun/Concussion Rifle - Invis Hall
Overshield/Damage Boost/Speed Boost - Overshield Hall

Tartarus Classic ‘Tartarus Classic’ is exactly what you’d expect it to be. The weapons spawns are identical to The Pit, the exception being the Suppressor at SMG spawn, the Boltshot at Mauler spawns, and nothing at Spiker spawn. I hate to say it, but there is also nothing to find in the Invis Hall. Weapon respawn times and additional clips have also been set to their correct amounts.Both variants can be found in my File Share! Just File Share Search ‘Randy 355’. If you play on it, please provide feedback. To be more specific, if you have any issues with it, please provide <mark>constructive criticism</mark>.

What’s New?
V1.2 Changelsit

Tartarus v1.2 Changelist

• Removed Shotgun Drops
  • Moved Needler Drops to Shotgun Rooms
  • Swapped SAW with Sticky Detonator in Invis Hall's Random Ordinance
  • Fixed some sightlines to be more accurate to The Pit
  • Raised ceiling in Invis Hall
  • Fixed flooring near Red entrance to OV Hall where oddball/grenades could fall through
  • Added compatibility for Oddball, Extraction, and Multi-Team
  • Added an Oddball only soft-killzone to areas above flag

Tartarus Classic v1.2 Changelist

• Put Sword in an upright fixed position (Weapons work when fixed in this game!)
  • Fixed flooring near Red entrance to OV hall where oddball/grenades could fall through

Why the name ‘Tartarus’? This is not a reference to the Brute Chieftain in Halo 2. This is a reference to Greek Mythology, in which the worst of villains would be sent beneath the underworld into Tartarus to receive punishment. It is described by Wikipedia as “a deep, gloomy place, a pit, or an abyss used as a dungeon of torment and suffering…”.Special thanks goes out to the following communities/people, in no particular order:
Reaching Perfection - Good testers, great advisors. An invaluable resource.
ForgeHub - Particularly good at giving feedback.
MythicFritz - Thanks for the last minute 2v2s!
Wraith2098 - Same as Mythic! Good matches.
P1 Mario - Fantastic Friend/Forger/Tester

I’m surprised that nobody has posted on this. Screenshots look fantastic, and I checked the most recent version. Sword room looks way better after the update. It seems to still be the only Pit remake that doesn’t use paper for walls i.e. sword room. It’s great to see as close to a pixel perfect remake in Halo 4.

The Pit is one of my favourite halo maps and I will be downloading and testing this tonight.

I will let you know what I think after I’ve given it a spin.

I got the chance to play this a little last night. Me and a few friends played some FFA on it and we all enjoyed it. Great accurate remake.

> I got the chance to play this a little last night. Me and a few friends played some FFA on it and we all enjoyed it. Great accurate remake.

Thanks for giving it a try, Petay! I am glad to see that you have enjoyed it. Keep your eyes out, because a new update for both Halo 4 and Classic versions are heading this way. Gametype compatibility and all of that fun.

Played a few more games on this and it’s bringing back lots of fond memories. I look forward to your updates.

If you get the time I’ve got a map of my own I’m trying to get out there for testing. It’s a map inspired by Narrows called Tornado. I currently have two versions in my file share, one supports most gametypes and is more halo 4 infinity ordinance orientated and the other version is a stripped back MLG competitive set up.

If you get the chance to have a look please post your comments in the topic I made on here. Thanks

Keep up the good forging.

> If you get the chance to have a look please post your comments in the topic I made on here. Thanks

I’ll have a look at your map, it’s the least I could do since you gave mine a chance. I’ll let you know what I think on your thread.

Also, there is a very important update for both variants of this remake:

There is a very important update for both variants of this map:

Tartarus v1.2 Changelist

• Removed Shotgun Drops
  • Moved Needler Drops to Shotgun Rooms
  • Swapped SAW with Sticky Detonator in Invis Hall's Random Ordinance
  • Fixed flooring near Red entrance to OV Hall where oddball/grenades could fall through

Tartarus Classic v1.2 Changelist

• Put Sword in an upright fixed position (Weapons work when fixed in this game!)

Please, redownload this if you already have it.

How do I get to your file share!?!

Go into Halo 4, and hit start. Go down, and find the file browser. In the file browser select Maps, and then select File Share search. Search ‘Randy 355’, and you should find both variants of this map.

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Looks like you have been hard at work tweaking these maps I’ll download the new versions when I get chance.
Be good to play some different gametypes on The Pit.

> Looks like you have been hard at work tweaking these maps I’ll download the new versions when I get chance.
> Be good to play some different gametypes on The Pit.

I had a lot of fun testing Extraction. The areas I put the Extraction Points makes for some really fun gameplay.

Oddball is fun as well, that is, with the addition of passing. I had to be really careful with where the ball could be thrown. Blocking off the area above flag, A.K.A. ‘Anne Frank’, with a gametype-specific soft-kill was necessary.

I am resurrecting this thread with meaningful intent. With the Web-based File Share online, people can now download this map more easily than ever. Download here!

Tartarus
Tartarus Classic

Please, enjoy! Let me know what you think!