take off freindly fire already

Why is it that every annaversery game type i enter im team killed for weapons, vehicals and by kids that just suck before half the teams quite out! this game is getting silly now when i get team killed i think pfft here we go again with the kiddy fest and i quit the game. i dont care ban me for it il play COD. taking out freindly fire will make this game epic! no more will we miss out on rightfully derserved exterminations and rampages and perfections because our idiot team mates spam in nades regardless of how close you are to the fight, or spray you in the back trying to kill-steal who ever your shooting at. ect ect. i thought this game was about how skilled you the players are not how bad your team is because in halo no one cares about damaging there team mates. at lkeast try it on a game type why not squad? that ones dead would be interesting to see if it picks up with the change or not.

No. Friendly Fire has to stay. If you don’t like being killed by randoms on your team, then play with friends. If you keep getting betrayed for Power Weapons, jump off the edge of the map with them (if possible). Friendly Fire brings a much more tactical aspect to what makes Halo gameplay so good. Deal with it, the game doesn’t need changing because you’re having some bad experiences.

This is kind of a hard issue, I think. Obviously, the problem of teamkillers needs a solution, as they’re not going to go away voluntarily; but turning off friendly fire is not the best one. Doing so would really change the dynamics of the game, and not in a good way.

The betrayal/boot system needs some work, but what if it were to be modified? Like say, in the same way that the quit ban works? Three betrayal boots per whatever period of time, and you can’t get into matchmaking for, say, 30 minutes. Heck, EA and Activision have extremely tough bans for the kind of stuff that regularly goes on in Halo.

In the meantime, you can always report the players who act like -Yoinks!- for “unsporting conduct”. It’s not a perfect system, but you might as well use it.

Personally, I think that if we can get the betrayal system working well, then all of these problems could be solved. I’m inclined to a system where two betrayals in one game will always give the option to boot (assuming that Betrayal Booting is turned on), and, if someone has been booted from a previous game, then anymore betrayals results in an automatic boot by the game. If that continues, then time out for 30 minutes. If the game detects that a player is betraying with some extended frequency (i.e. 1 betrayal per game, for an extended number of games), then an automatic boot occurs aswell.

However, I don’t really like the quit ban TBH. Not a good idea IMO.

Im not asking the whole game be changed but one or 2 game types it deserves testing. On halo PC the no freindly fire servers are the best because you cant team kill then you dont try to. all freindly fire does is cause betraying and unsupportive conduct thats all it serves to do and this game is writhe with that. At least in COD you get a choice why not in HALO. could it not be said that spartan shields can be configured to there own team’s weapons? tis the future after all.

8000 people online right now, something has to be changed drastically im gunna go play halo 3 now

Go ahead, try it. But having no freindly fire adds nothing to the game mechanic. Fixing the betrayal boot system will likely reduce the number of intentional betrayals, and that way, we can keep friendly fire on, and create situations which make Halo the game that it is.

EDIT-

> 8000 people online right now, something has to be changed drastically im gunna go play halo 3 now

Pretty sure most people are at work or school right now in America (I presume, not being American), which makes up the majority of the Halo player base. There’ll be a lot less people on H3, which gets maybe 25000 on it’s best days now, at the optimm time. Accept that Reach has a low player count, and that it isn’t to do with Friendly Fire. Halo 3 had that, and it still got huge numbers of player.

If they ever take friendly fire out of Halo, I’m done playing Halo. I can’t believe people even suggest that.

actualy there on halo 3 with me cos its more than 100000 players online right now

and woooow so you wont even give one gametype? console gamers are such casuals

> and woooow so you wont even give one gametype? console gamers are such casuals

You pretty much insulted mostly everyone (and in the process, you’re self) here since this is a console based game (Halo 3 as well). Many PC gamers can be real inconsiderate and overall not pleasing to interact with. They aren’t some god tier saints either, god no some of most bloated egos to ever grace the online forums and net spaces.

Pah but i am done ranting, i just wanted you to be aware of what you are saying. You generalize with your comment, not all console gamers are “casuals”.

On topic: Yes i would like to play with the idea of having no friendly fire but this is more of an issue if you search randoms. It becomes less of an issue and more of a boon if you have all your friends on the same team.

For Living Dead though, god turn off the Friendly Fire. I don’t play that playlist anymore and from what i’ve heard, it’s trolls paradise due to no booting and your team mates just kill you, zombie or human.

> 8000 people online right now, something has to be changed drastically im gunna go play halo 3 now

At time of post, it was approximately 5AM in Oklahoma. You need to think before you type.

> No. Friendly Fire has to stay. If you don’t like being killed by randoms on your team, then play with friends. If you keep getting betrayed for Power Weapons, jump off the edge of the map with them (if possible). Friendly Fire brings a much more tactical aspect to what makes Halo gameplay so good. Deal with it, the game doesn’t need changing because you’re having some bad experiences.

How many times do I need to shoot down this idiocy, friendly fire is NOT the key limiting factor in preventing any sort of wreckless or otherwise “un-tactical” behavior. Since, in what should be an obvious conclusion, blasting your friend with a rocket or sticking him with a grenade is wasted effort. It’s less effective, and qutie often entirely unproductive, to shoot an ally instead of an enemy. And this is easily reason enough to still play tatically, still play thoughtfully, even though the Boot of Damoclese isn’t poised directly above you. As far as psychological adjustments go, that’s overkill, since as plainly stated above the game already well controls for the behavior. And I can firmly say that I know this, rather than I feel this, because I have played games without FF and with that first hand experience I’m fit to judge this on the objective basis of “what really happens” as opposed to “what I think happens,” which I’m sure you’re limited to since I doubt most people in the Halo community go so far in order to better educate themselves as testing their theories.

So, in the interests of “the game not remaining a -Yoink–hole”, friendly fire should be removed from all normal playlists.

And for those that might want to back-track to the even more rediculous argument “oh, people will abuse the game if we take FF off” the above argument extends to any abuses as well. Why go through the waste of constructing an elaborate scenario by which an ally might, say, deliver a plasma grenade right into the middle of the enemy team when the ability to deliver grenades by throwing them is already avaible to you, and largely without the danger of having that grenade easily shot down before he could make it to the target. The same with rockets, plasma launcher rounds, needlers, or whatever else have you. Any situation where an ally assumes the responsibility of an explosive is inferior to simply using the explosive in the first place.

Furthermore, notice how I justified my opinion. If nothing else sways you, consider that truisms, such as what you base yourself upon. “Friendly fire brings a much more tactical aspect to the game” is simply a statement, devoid of any justification and with it any power it might otherwise have to explain a real situation and perhaps bring some reconciliation to the desparate viewpoints in conflict here. And while self expression certainly isn’t something to -Yoink- upon so calously as I might, here, basing yourself on it only should tell you something about how well founded your point of view is.

And lastly, consider that the only concrete behaviors you were able to mention were forms of team-killing. Were there a direct connection between FF and anything positive besides hiliarous accidents in the campaign it would be as easy to cite them, specifically, as it would be to say “-Yoinks!- betray you for power weapons with FF on.” But, because they aren’t, we can safely assume that such positive aspects are not as prevalent as are the negative, should those positive aspects even exist.

Friendly fire is just one of those things that, if done away with, will hurt the game in a subtle way. The effect overall will not be hugely noticeable, but it will be one step closer to making Halo more like other dumbed-down-for-the-masses shooters.

The only place where there should be no friendly fire is Grifball.

yep were all casuals lol i love how that always jabs a raw nerve round here XD maybe some of you should consider that your country is actual maybe NOT the only one in the world that have xboxs the other night i was playing with 3 other americans (I in th UK) and there was 1997 online which i pointed out right here while battlefield was loading up because 30 people in most playlists is a dead game.

surficed to say the one thing that never ever fails to get me out of my seat and press the eject button is the sheer consistancy of getting betrayed for a sniper or screaming down my mic “why the -yoink- did you toss that nade i was about to finish him now were both dead thanks to you!”

And what team work are you talking about if im in a team its snipers, doubles, MLG! the rest of the time no one cares and theres always one who is gunna spray you for the sniper or wreck your vehical because he wanted it.

Pro playlists should have FF ofcourse thats hardcore mode in any FPS but as i said the only thing FF serves to accomplish in this game’s regualer play lists is encourage unsupportive behavioure and cosiquently quiting.

Anaversary is the worst of all for this along with BTB and premium. if anything they should not have FF including freindly vehicals and equipment. because these are the reasons i dont play reach anymore.

> Friendly fire is just one of those things that, if done away with, will hurt the game in a subtle way. The effect overall will not be hugely noticeable, but it will be one step closer to making Halo more like other dumbed-down-for-the-masses shooters.

Why? Why does friendly fire promote more thoughtful gameplay?

In my experience, both in games with FF and in games without, the effect on gameplay is negligable since of the above point of wasted effort. How can you possibly profit by not shooting an enemy to kill an enemy? The very pressure which pushes for accuracy also keeps your crosshair from drifting over the face of anything else in the environment (be it a rock or stupid team-mate) which will probably do a lot more to hinder you weapons fire than help it out by the lack of points and kills associated with those obstacles.

And that is, by far, a much more common, and much more powerful, reason as to why you don’t fire with wreckless abandon to secure a kill. In any circumstance (including, but certainly not limited to, those in which an ally is involved), it’s going to hurt you and it’s going to hurt you much more dramatically (by causing you to suck) to shoot before you think than single point reductions for the team and the mere chance of a boot down the road should the worst manage to happen under FF.

> taking out freindly fire will make this game epic!

WRONG! Taking out Friendly Fire has only degraded such playlists such as Living Dead and Grifball into betrayal NIGHTMARES! Even Firefight is abhorrent at times when you get someone P-O’ed at you because you take “their” sniper spot or kill “their” Banshee or Wraith.

The real issue here is FIXING the Betrayal Boot system once and for all - not allowing Team Killers to run rampant in every playlist and getting away with it.

> > taking out freindly fire will make this game epic!
>
> WRONG! Taking out Friendly Fire has only degraded such playlists such as Living Dead and Grifball into betrayal NIGHTMARES! Even Firefight is abhorrent at times when you get someone P-O’ed at you because you take “their” sniper spot or kill “their” Banshee or Wraith.

And you’d rather they kill you for it than annoy you with impotent rounds to the side of the head?

Where’s your sense of proportion? You decry a mosquito bite but against a shark to the gonads it’s the preferable alternative.

> Go ahead, try it. But having no freindly fire adds nothing to the game mechanic. Fixing the betrayal boot system will likely reduce the number of intentional betrayals, and that way, we can keep friendly fire on, and create situations which make Halo the game that it is.

…That makes no sense. If you “fix” betrayal booting all you do is reduce the chance an accidental rocket to the friend isn’t met with a disproportionate boot. You can’t possibly change the behavior itself “to reduce the number of intentional betrayals” since, as I’ve been banging on about, the boot system is only a means of retribution, not correction, as that comes from the very fact that you can’t win by wasting rounds on your fellows. And at least without friendly fire, those fellows aren’t bearing the brunt of your poor decisions.

And you can’t “fix” the boot system, in any case, because you can’t possibly devise a good set of rules in a video game to discern the difference between murder and manslaughter (ie. intentional or accidental betrayals.) That’s hard enough in law, and we don’t have the benefit of a human intelligence (however perverted) to arbitrate each and every stick-to-a-friendly-bottom that may happen in the course of the game. And even with that best-case scenario, in real life, it’s a long, tedious, and often complicated process which certainly does not set the standards on reliability, so betting we can do better with far, far less is extremely foolish.

And so, it will be far better to cut the issue out altogether and remove friendly fire since it’s the one choice left to us which will work to solve the problem.

Friendly fire will never be romved. The only playlist that should have it removed is LivingDead. That i support cause theres no nads so the only way is to shoot ppl in the back. That is an issue in that playlist. However the remaining playlsits cant have it removed cause its part of the game. Ppl benifit from it everyday when in the battle with an enemy player who is killed by there teamates nade. You get the kill. Taking it out wont do any thing really other than make it a waterdown shooter. Ifyou were to take it out then go the way and take out suicides as well. Ppl talk about skill and ranks and everything else with Halo. If you remove friendly fire then there is less skill involved. Best thing is just to partty up with ppl your comfortable playing with. As for just playing on your own, well theres nothing that can be done. Booting system as we know isnt great. But how it look ona game setin the future where friendly fire doesnt exist. Doesnt really make alot of sense. I think that some ppl just have days where they end up in some bad games. Happens to everyone