Take my money! Just not like this

Amidst the sea of perspectives and frustrations players are feeling, I just want to chime in with: I want to give 343 Studios my money. Halo Infinite should make money. 343 should take my money. So if we already share this goal, my buddy 343 and I, how was I alienated so quickly and so thoroughly by Halo Infinite’s multiplayer cash grab?

My own personal reasons for initial alienation are not the cash grab itself, and are laid out in my first topic in these forums, linked as my featured topic, “I wish Halo multiplayer still revolved around my busy schedule.” I also have a description of my central issues in my profile bio. But to add to what I’ve already written, I just want to make sure I say this also.

I am willing to pay more for great content, customization, long-term support, and updates. But not through microtransactions. Since it is too late to realistically put the microtransaction genie back in the bottle now, give players the option to simply pay more for the base game, or for a premium package, that automatically unlocks all seasonal content at the end of each season. This way players who unlock or purchase early can be cooler than me for up to 6 months, but nobody has to play the microtransaction / progression game to guarantee that they will eventually be able to experience all the content the game has to offer if they want to. The way it is set up now is a borderline scam, where players buy things like the Battle-Pass or custom armor before realizing that they can’t use the armor pieces, or that they can’t gain much value from the Battle-Pass due to their schedule.

There is a lot that we could talk about fixing, but while the many player complaints can seem complicated and overwhelming taken together, I believe most complaints boil down to a simple rule of thumb that can streamline trying to address frustrations.

The secret sauce is simply this: do not try to manipulate me. If you want my money, take it. But ask for it all up front, without withholding parts of the game and trying to sell little bits piecemeal over time. I came here to give you my money, you came here to take it. Don’t screw up a good, simple transaction by using manipulative marketing strategies.

I know I am not the first to say something similar, but I wasn’t able to find someone else saying it the way I wanted to. Hopefully this is not too redundant.

As always, thank you to everyone at 343 for all the hard work that has already gone into Halo Infinite. As a Halo fan since 2001, I am pretty excited to experience it all. Let me.

6 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree : I would gladly shell out money for customization.

The way it’s being handled right now though, there is NO WAY I’m spending a cent in the store.

Offer is poor. Prices are ludicrous.

5 Likes

The campaign is all they have right now. As soon as I’m done with that I’m gone

that automatically unlocks all seasonal content at the end of each season

This premium purchase exists. You can buy the premium battle pass and then drop extra cash to unlock everything.

My understanding was that you still have to complete the challenges in order to get some of the armor cores which are not available in the store. Without the corresponding armor core, pieces of a set cannot be used. And again, buying a bunch of boosts or equipment pieces still puts us in microtransaction territory. And then this problem repeats for any limited-time events with their own challenge-locked armor cores. The limited-time events that might be specific to a season are especially frustrating if the event’s availability does not line up with a player’s busy schedule and limited binge opportunities. I don’t mind grinding for things if they are always available to work towards on my schedule, but Tenrai showed that these opportunities don’t care much about my schedule.

My understanding was that you still have to complete the challenges in order to get some of the armor cores which are not available in the store.

This only applies to the free event, not the season battle pass. You can unlock everything in the battle pass with cash.

And again, buying a bunch of boosts or equipment pieces still puts us in microtransaction territory

Sure you individually have to click each level to purchase them. Would be more convenient to just have them all grouped up, but functionally you can buy the whole season battle pass without having to play at all.

The limited-time events that might be specific to a season are especially frustrating if the event’s availability does not line up with a player’s busy schedule and limited binge opportunities.

That’s why there needs to be a good balance of opportunities and the amount of time they take. Regardless, these events aren’t just here for players to earn cosmetics. They also exist to boost player engagement and hopefully help player retention. If everything becomes circumvented by a single credit card purchase of like, an extra $60 and there’s nothing to work toward… why are you playing? How long are you gonna have fun when everything is unlocked? We don’t play video games “just for fun” anymore.

This is why I waiting to see what the campaign is going to offer. It feels like 343 is trying to treat this game as a looter shooter being fully aware that it’s not.

I’m tired of seeing companies talk the talk, but not walk the walk.

1 Like

I would absolutely love to help them make some money with buying in-game content, but $20 for a set of armor is too much.

1 Like

I guess I disagree about the just for fun part. If it isn’t fun, why play? Maybe I am just in the minority, but the only reason I would ever play is if it is fun. And I think Halo Infinite so far is, but the fun I would be having during my binge availability in December is compromised by the fact that Tenrai/Fiesta isn’t even available in December when I expected to have more time to play. As someone who got in a whole 5 hours of gameplay so far, this is the core problem that might kill the experience for me. If limited time events permanently keep content out of the hands of people like me, why shouldn’t I be upset about that? Obviously, it might not turn out that bad. Many things about the future are vague, and 343 might adjust their Fracture events so that any players who stick with it long enough can complete the challenges. My core complaint is not that I need an easy grind. It is that it needs to work on my schedule. Being available whenever I want to play should be a bare minimum expectation for modern home entertainment. This isn’t 2001, when the primary entertainment alternative to video games was broadcast television. I don’t need to tune in at 8:00 AM on a Saturday morning just to see a favorite show. This inflexibility is why cable tv died to gaming and eventually streaming. Hate to see it in a favorite franchise like Halo.