Swords on Epitaph

Greetings all,

I’ve jumped back into H3 matchmaking lately in pursuit of my last few achievements. Obviously, I don’t always get the maps or gametypes that I want.

I’m not a good multiplayer to begin with, but the sword gametype has me completely baffled and frustrated. I’m losing face-to-face confrontations 9 times out of 10. It seems like my opponent is always able to make a second attack much quicker than I, so I’m thinking there’s a game mechanic I am not understanding. I tried switching to attack, then melee as opposed to a second sword swing, but that didn’t seem to get me anywhere.

I’m not a good player, but I’m not bad either. But, my sword games are utterly pitiful. Is there something I’m missing other than straight on swinging the sword?

Cheers,
Brad

Swords has always been a tricky gamemode, connection plays a massive part of it, while another part of it, is your controller layout.

For example, on default, the second melee for the Sword is on B, meaning you need to push the button all the way down for it to take effect but within that time, your opponent who could be playing on Bumper Jumper, simply tapped the RB button for the second melee and got the kill faster because of it.

Keep in mind, after you’ve had your first encounter and you two guys end up clashing over and over, don’t stop mashing your alternate melee button, it is faster and a lot more efficient at the range you’ll be clashing at, clashes can last for sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes, it all depends on who slips up first.

Oh i miss that. Im surprised there wasn’t one in Reach.

> Oh i miss that. Im surprised there wasn’t one in Reach.

Sword duels are horrible in Reach, in Halo 3, you could continue a sword duel forever as long as nobody messed up.

In Reach, after the fourth continuous clash, you will both die.

> > Oh i miss that. Im surprised there wasn’t one in Reach.
>
> Sword duels are horrible in Reach, in Halo 3, you could continue a sword duel forever as long as nobody messed up.
>
> In Reach, after the fourth continuous clash, you will both die.

I hate Swords in Halo 3, I always veto them. Reason being, people always only use the quick melee attack instead of the lunge and it pisses me off that they’re so cheap and unskillful that they can’t use lunge and only use quick melee…

> Greetings all,
>
> I’ve jumped back into H3 matchmaking lately in pursuit of my last few achievements. Obviously, I don’t always get the maps or gametypes that I want.
>
> I’m not a good multiplayer to begin with, but the sword gametype has me completely baffled and frustrated. I’m losing face-to-face confrontations 9 times out of 10. It seems like my opponent is always able to make a second attack much quicker than I, so I’m thinking there’s a game mechanic I am not understanding. I tried switching to attack, then melee as opposed to a second sword swing, but that didn’t seem to get me anywhere.
>
> I’m not a good player, but I’m not bad either. But, my sword games are utterly pitiful. Is there something I’m missing other than straight on swinging the sword?
>
> Cheers,
> Brad

What you’re missing is that the normal “melee” (B button) swings faster and has less of a recovery time than the “lunge” melee (RT). When someone goes to lunge at you, use the B melee to counter, and keep mashing it. Because of your faster recovery time with the melee you used, you will swing again WAY before he will. Wait until you get into a Sword fight where BOTH of you are using B-swings. It’s epic.

> > Oh i miss that. Im surprised there wasn’t one in Reach.
>
> Sword duels are horrible in Reach, in Halo 3, you could continue a sword duel forever as long as nobody messed up.
>
> In Reach, after the fourth continuous clash, you will both die.

True. Hopefully it comes back in 4. I think when it came to Reach, it was the Gravity Hammer.

> > > Oh i miss that. Im surprised there wasn’t one in Reach.
> >
> > Sword duels are horrible in Reach, in Halo 3, you could continue a sword duel forever as long as nobody messed up.
> >
> > In Reach, after the fourth continuous clash, you will both die.
>
> I hate Swords in Halo 3, I always veto them. Reason being, people always only use the quick melee attack instead of the lunge and it pisses me off that they’re so cheap and unskillful that they can’t use lunge and only use quick melee…

Using their mind to get the tactical advantage isn’t cheap & unskillful in my eyes.

Thanks all, I had a feeling I was missing something. Will give it a go on my next bout, any improvement would be preferred.