Sword Sprinters Immune to slow down?

So, in the bulletin, we saw some interesting quotes about some of the weapons. None of them were particularly worrying until this.

So as you know, people slow down when sprinting if they get shot. As it happens, Sword users are immune to this.facepalm

So, why? I don’t know about you, but I found campers with sword sprint incredibly irking, especially in games on maps like sword base. So why has this combonation returned? It was hard enough to deal with when you had 3 other people to worry about, but now I can’t even run away if his team is shooting me giving him an easy sword. Not only that, but he know also has another AA to use, meaning if he does get in trouble he can hop behind a corner and take out whatever AA he has.

To top it all off, the sword also swings faster, meaning those who miss when sword sprinting will be able to slash again quite quickly, my geuss is somewhat like the halo 2 sword.

I don’t know about you guys, but this, this seems incredibly OP for my likes.

sounds deadly. I don’t know about this one. I’d prefer pummel rushers to be as nerfed as possible.

because in testing the slow down made it harder to charge in for piss easy kills so they removed slow down on it.

Swings faster, less lunge. That sounds balanced to me. Especially with the faster movement speed in the game.

> Swings faster, less lunge. That sounds balanced to me. Especially with the faster movement speed in the game.

Did you miss the part that they’re immune to slow down when everyone else isn’t?

All they have to do is hide around corners and sprint at you, you’ll never have time to defend yourself.

> > Swings faster, less lunge. That sounds balanced to me. Especially with the faster movement speed in the game.
>
> Did you miss the part that they’re immune to slow down when everyone else isn’t?
>
> All they have to do is hide around corners and sprint at you, you’ll never have time to defend yourself.

at most you’ll get the persons shields down unless hes incredibly stupid and runs around in the wide open looking for kills in which case hes an easy target.

usually though, most people, including me get to a corner, switch to sword and charge at the person around the corner, they never get enough time to adiquetly defend themselves and i get away looking for another attack very easily, don’t even have to wait for shields to come back on the next target.

Agreed. There is no explanation for such a decision. At least I can’t think of any.

I don’t mind the speed and lunge boost but the ‘Immune to bullet slowdown’ is a terrible idea.

Did you guys ever consider that…just maybe…

…that the sword is a power weapon?

We deserve to be immune. They gave us zero lunge on the sword. That does not do justice for the sword and is not traditional like. There is a fine line between nerfing a lunge and completely trashing it.

The sword would’ve have been even more useless with stopping power.

I like this decision. The sword in Reach in combination with sprint is too powerful in my opinion, but with the overall faster pace of the game and the decreased lunge it seems balanced in Halo 4.

One of the reasons I can think of is the fact that if you have a sword, you can only kill someone when they’re close, versus everyone else having guns and being able to kill you from farther away. The sprint immunity isn’t just for bum rushing, it could also be used to get away.

Say a weapon drop lands right next to you, and it just so happens to be an energy sword. note, I don’t know if swords are in weapon drops, just bear with me you have a carbine and a plasma pistol. You want the sword, but you accidentally drop the carbine for the sword, and as the carbine drops an enemy or two round the corner and you are now getting shot, and start to panic. With no time to switch to the pistol to swap for the carbine, you run. Without the sprint immunity, you never had a chance to get away and are killed almost instantly, all because you picked up the power weapon that dropped right next to you.

As always however, I’ll wait until the game comes out to make my final judgement.

Halo 2/3: Sword = Only useful in CQC and rarely used offensively.

Reach: Sprint + Sword = A truly deadly power weapon that can be used to it’s full potential as an offensive weapon.

Halo 4: Sprint + Sword + No Slowdown = An even better power weapon, one that rightfully is named so.

True sword lunge has been reduced, but that’s a perfectly acceptable trade-off considering you now have a combination of sprint + faster movement speed + no slowdown. If anything, with a melee weapon such as the sword, you’re chances of dying are multiplied because you have to get soo close to your opponent for the sword kill. It’s a huge risk v. reward weapon already, but sprint + no slowdown helps that out a little.

The fact that you don’t slow down when being shot makes sense. If you got slowed down when running with the sword, it would basically be almost useless. It already has a weakness: it’s a close (or fairly close) range weapon only. No need to hamstring it even more by making it potentially more useless even at close range, too.

> > > Swings faster, less lunge. That sounds balanced to me. Especially with the faster movement speed in the game.
> >
> > Did you miss the part that they’re immune to slow down when everyone else isn’t?
> >
> > All they have to do is hide around corners and sprint at you, you’ll never have time to defend yourself.
>
> at most you’ll get the persons shields down unless hes incredibly stupid and runs around in the wide open looking for kills in which case hes an easy target.
>
> usually though, most people, including me get to a corner, switch to sword and charge at the person around the corner, they never get enough time to adiquetly defend themselves and i get away looking for another attack very easily, don’t even have to wait for shields to come back on the next target.

Thats what I said…

Sorry, the person hiding around the corner was meant to be the sword… I should have made that more clear :stuck_out_tongue: oops

I agree. I don’t care for the decision to make sword wielders immune to slowing down when shot. If any thing I think it would be more important to slow them down. The sword is going to be over powering on maps with lots of corners in small spaces.

Balance is all ways a hard thing to judge without playtesting but I would have much preferred 343 to keep all movement mechanics consistent, weapons I don’t think should effect player traits. If that means they have to slightly increase the lunge to balance it, so be it.

My opinion is that the sword sprint combo was OP in Reach. I consider the Shotgun to be pretty much perfectly balanced in Reach as a CQ power weapon and consider the sword to be the deadlier of the two weapons, so I think it needed a slight nerf.

The new Sprint setting in Halo 4 might have sufficed on its own as a nerf. I’m actually quite disappointed by this news one of the things I was looking forward to in Halo 4 was not having to deal with cheap sword rush deaths and sword rush timing actually being a bit more skilful :frowning:

> Halo 2/3: Sword = Only useful in CQC and rarely used offensively.
>
> Reach: Sprint + Sword = A truly deadly power weapon that can be used to it’s full potential as an offensive weapon.
>
> Halo 4: Sprint + Sword + No Slowdown = An even better power weapon, one that rightfully is named so.
>
> True sword lunge has been reduced, but that’s a perfectly acceptable trade-off considering you now have a combination of sprint + faster movement speed + no slowdown. If anything, with a melee weapon such as the sword, you’re chances of dying are multiplied because you have to get soo close to your opponent for the sword kill. It’s a huge risk v. reward weapon already, but sprint + no slowdown helps that out a little.

In all honesty, I’d prefer sword lunge + no sprint rather than less sword lunge, plus sprint, plus no slow down.

But that may just be me

> Did you guys ever consider that…just maybe…
>
> …that the sword is a power weapon?

I lol’d. This.

> Did you guys ever consider that…just maybe…
>
> …that the sword is a power weapon?

And that your opponent can sprint too? Sounds like it’s not as easy to get an instant sword spree every time you touch the sword, unlike Reach.