Sword Lunge Consistency

Let me just start off with this, I’m not the first one to look into this nor am I the first person to report and/or -Yoink- about it.

Now that I’ve got that out of the way…

What the fudge is up with the sword lunge? It’s INCREDIBLY inconsistent at least in my case. This is very occurent in Infection, where you’ll find yourself at least 20ft away from a Zombie, only for them to use the “Zoom” (yeah, zoom with a sword, stupid I know…) to extend his range to 20 miles and race to you’re side of the room to do some UbEr DaMaGe. Then sometimes when you zoom, it will do nothing but slow you down not even lunging when you are 10ft away. Other times you’ll do the same thing and you’ll magnetize to your foe on the other side of the map. I’ve experimented with this with a couple of my friends and we came to the same conclusion:

Its freakin’ broken…

Why do we need to zoom on a melee weapon? Excuse me, why do we need zoom on a 1 hit kill melee weapon to increase it’s already lengthily range? This lunge range even out classes the Shotgun in terms of range leaving you, in most cases, defenseless. Once they’ve hit the trigger and are incoming, it’s such a small time to swordblock it’s not even worth doing, especially with these laggy servers…

It’s not inconsistent, nor is it difficult to understand. if you aren’t within red reticle range when zoomed in, then you aren’t close enough to pull off a successful swing, meaning you won’t lunge towards them. The range doesn’t just change. You just have to actually be aiming at your target when zoomed in, rather than around them like you could without the zoom, and have the reticle be red have to actually get the lunge.

The zoom range is quite far, i find it crazy how in Castle Wars i can drive a hog full speed ahead & players can lock onto me with the sword & kill me

> 2533274800168045;2:
> It’s not inconsistent, nor is it difficult to understand. if you aren’t within red reticle range when zoomed in, then you aren’t close enough to pull off a successful swing, meaning you won’t lunge towards them. The range doesn’t just change. You just have to actually be aiming at your target when zoomed in, rather than around them like you could without the zoom, and have the reticle be red have to actually get the lunge.

You see, that’s what I thought, but my friends and I were testing and if you are about 2 steps from red reticle range, you could possibly lunge. But like I’ve said, it’s kind of random when it decides this.

> 2533274800168045;2:
> It’s not inconsistent, nor is it difficult to understand. if you aren’t within red reticle range when zoomed in, then you aren’t close enough to pull off a successful swing, meaning you won’t lunge towards them.

That’s not always true. I’ve had countless times where my reticule was red for a second and it didn’t lunge. I don’t know if it needs to be on the target for a specified amount of time, but all I know is that I pressed the lunge button while it was red and nothing happened.

> 2727626560040591;5:
> > 2533274800168045;2:
> > It’s not inconsistent, nor is it difficult to understand. if you aren’t within red reticle range when zoomed in, then you aren’t close enough to pull off a successful swing, meaning you won’t lunge towards them.
>
> That’s not always true. I’ve had countless times where my reticule was red for a second and it didn’t lunge. I don’t know if it needs to be on the target for a specified amount of time, but all I know is that I pressed the lunge button while it was red and nothing happened.

It’s more than that too; sometimes when I lunge with a red reticle, I may end up undershooting my target which leaves me vulnerable for a short moment (usually from bumping into an object mid-lunge). Quite frightening if you’re caught amongst a bunch of enemy players.

> 2535429593088083;6:
> > 2727626560040591;5:
> > > 2533274800168045;2:
> > > It’s not inconsistent, nor is it difficult to understand. if you aren’t within red reticle range when zoomed in, then you aren’t close enough to pull off a successful swing, meaning you won’t lunge towards them.
> >
> > That’s not always true. I’ve had countless times where my reticule was red for a second and it didn’t lunge. I don’t know if it needs to be on the target for a specified amount of time, but all I know is that I pressed the lunge button while it was red and nothing happened.
>
> It’s more than that too; sometimes when I lunge with a red reticle, I may end up undershooting my target which leaves me vulnerable for a short moment (usually from bumping into an object mid-lunge). Quite frightening if you’re caught amongst a bunch of enemy players.

That’s probably more or less the only inconsistent scenario I can say has ever happened to me, but I wouldn’t really call the lunge inconsistent in that instant, it’s more or less just an inconvenience that there are walls or objects in the way to collide with before you can even make contact with who you’re trying to melee.

The lag when using the sword lunge (zoomed) is what’s broken. A majority of the time you fall short and get wrecked.

I think it should be lowered or removed

I will usually put the sword in my back pocket on Truth (the only map in ranked slayer with a sword) and never use it unless I have to at this point because the inconsistency has led to giving the other team sword control a few too many times.

It’s not just the zoom that is broken. I’d say that maybe one un-zoomed red reticle lunge out of ten results in a generic swing with no lunge. I’ve never been able to recreate it outside matchmaking, but sometimes the sword lunge simply does not work in close quarters situations where you’re strafing/being shot. I’ve also had a handful of times where you get a lunge, but gracefully glide right up into the guy you’re attacking and swing the sword past him, resulting in a miss.

> 2533274800168045;2:
> It’s not inconsistent, nor is it difficult to understand. if you aren’t within red reticle range when zoomed in, then you aren’t close enough to pull off a successful swing, meaning you won’t lunge towards them. The range doesn’t just change. You just have to actually be aiming at your target when zoomed in, rather than around them like you could without the zoom, and have the reticle be red have to actually get the lunge.

That’s not true, I’ve been playing this long enough, have noticed that I’ve been in situations that were exactly the same, each time the results were drastically different…even at point blank range.

Its not just the sword a lot of things are broken

I actually like the smart-scope related “readied” aspect for melee weapons that increase their lunge range. I feel it adds game-play depth to those weapons.

• Elect NOT to “ready” the weapon and you have more movement freedom, a greater field of view, and access to your radar at the cost of having a reduced targeting lunge range.
  • Elect to “ready” the weapon and you lose a lot of your movement freedom, it often obstructs more of your field of view, and you lose access to your radar, but you do gain targeting lunge range.The game-play depth is experienced by having to actively choose (on-the-fly) what positive effect you require most (for the moment) despite the negative trade-offs that come hand-in-hand with that particular choice.

Issues related to consistency however are likely related to server connections; yours and/or others.